The 2014 AFL Premiership Season (once again, just in case)

Problem for Hawthorn is that Lake won't be match fit for the Freo game, given how little time he has spent on the park this year, this has a lot of potential to hurt them in the next couple of weeks too (especially with Gibson out of commission) as they're against some good forward lines in Adelaide and Sydney -- already expected Sydney to win, and you can't rule out the Crows at home after their recent showings.

Looking at the draw, Freo and Sydney should secure a top 2 finish, Port/Geelong/Hawthorn fight it out for the other two top 4 spots (it'd take a freak run from any other side to displace them). I'd say that I can't see the top 8 changing significantly, but given North Melbourne appear to have rolled up their sleeves to diligently ruin peoples predictions who the hell knows.

I'd say Kurt Tippett is a little doubtful, he's already been ruled out (thankfully for us) of the Swans' Saturday night encounter against Carlton, I wouldn't be too certain of his immediate return after that

At this point he's always in doubt to some extent, but I wouldn't say he's unlikely to play.. even if Tippett isn't available though there's still Franklin and Goodes up forward plus if they play Derickx it means Pyke can float forward a lot of the time and at a minimum force the ball to ground fairly often with his ability in a contest -- which should be more than enough fire power to put big holes in a weakened Hawthorn defence.

Freo are plenty vulnerable they could conceivably lose 2-3 on the run home, though I think it'd be a stretch.

Just read Ablett is out for the season too, that's a big blow for the Suns this year but if it means they'll get another year of quality from him in the next few years as a result then it's probably the wise approach -- the rest of the team is still a bit underdeveloped for finals football.

Tippet should be back for Hawthorn with the extra week off.

Freo haven't played a top side in a while and all of a sudden have Hawks, Port and Geelong within about 4-5 weeks. Should tell us enough about them when they finally play a better side

Glad Ablett picked the surgery. A 1st or 2nd round finals campaign isn't worth playing and missing out on the potential of top 4 next year or the year after

I actually understood that the popular pick to replace G. Ablett for the rest of the season was one Steve Johnson (I don't play but I was gathering that information last week in the wake of the Supercoach apocalypse that was Round 16)

Nick Maxwell retired from the AFL today.

A sad day indeed for 'Pies fans.

Btw, you aussies are lucky you get to watch Footy there all the time. I have to fly over from NZ every time I want to watch a match. :/

Maxwell and Hayes both retiring. Sad for both clubs. Hayes I expected, Maxwell not so much. Collingwood need to fix their backline out now

Btw, you aussies are lucky you get to watch Footy there all the time. I have to fly over from NZ every time I want to watch a match. :/
You go to the NZ games despite them always having Saints play?

And Dom Cassisi is next to follow, the '04 premiership player and former club captain is giving it up after their next game against the Demons, so he should go out pretty nicely I would imagine

I hold fear that the great Chris Judd might come in the next trio of retirements which would make me very sad.

In other Blues-related news, tanking is becoming a fear of mine at that club with the draw they have, 6 Top 8 sides in their last 6 matches, and I hate to say it but tonight's probably their best shot at a victory. Hopefully Cameron Wood takes a step forward in his Blues debut, because if he doesn't it's gonna be tough to see a bright future without Matthew Kreuzer

God dammit North. Either be consistently good or consistently shit -_-

I hold fear that the great Chris Judd might come in the next trio of retirements which would make me very sad.

In other Blues-related news, tanking is becoming a fear of mine at that club with the draw they have, 6 Top 8 sides in their last 6 matches, and I hate to say it but tonight's probably their best shot at a victory. Hopefully Cameron Wood takes a step forward in his Blues debut, because if he doesn't it's gonna be tough to see a bright future without Matthew Kreuzer
Guess you won't be tanking

You're kidding yourself if you think Malthouse will tank.

I get the feeling North really miss Wells.

Really interesting round of footy so far. Sad I missed Bulldogs vs Essendon but every game was good for one reason or another. Hopefully next week is just as good

Maxwell and Hayes both retiring. Sad for both clubs. Hayes I expected, Maxwell not so much. Collingwood need to fix their backline out now

You go to the NZ games despite them always having Saints play?
Nah, they always play shit teams like the Lions.

Amazing game. A fair few errors from Sydney but I'm content with the loss. Would rather lose now than September. Only to lose by 10 at their home ground with no mid getting more than 25 touches, great effort

North have stumbled, and the Suns are rising again off the back of their first ever Ablett-less victory, bulldozing St Kilda at home to climb back into 8th (provisionally with the Pies game today). At least we have found one top side this year that has North's number, I was actually able to tip a Roos game correctly for once

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)