XY NU My first NU Team!

My first NU Team
About this Team
My idea behind this team was to build around Barbaracle. I wanted to use Barbaracle as a late game sweeper to Shell Smash it's way to victory.

The Team!

Barbarcle:
Barbaracle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Dragon Claw
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
Like I mentioned before the idea was focused around Barbarcle. I gave him a focus sash so that even if he gets hit by a super effective move I can survive and then shell smash. I brought Razor Shell and Stone Edge for STAB and then took Dragon Claw for type coverage. This Pokemon is a huge NU threat and if he doesn't get burned or toxic'd he can sweep teams.
Avalugg:

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 240 Def / 28 SpD
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Curse
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

I brought Avalugg as my physical wall because he can eat up some hits and then recover his health right back. I also realized barbarcle has a x4 weakness to Grass and Avalugg can just switch in and eat up those grass attacks. Even against his weakness (minus Fire) Avalugg can solidly put some work in on their team. Set up some curses and then Avalanche them. Rapid Spin so Swellow doesn't take 25% incoming damage.
Dusknoir:
Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Thunder Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

I next looked at my other weakness, ground and fighting seemed like big ones to me. I thought a solid bulky Pokemon will do some work and Dusknoir came to mind. He can solidly eat up some Ground type attacks. I can solidly eat up and EQ from Electivire. I can even survive a storm throw from a choice banded Pangoro. Electric attacks do nothing to him (electric being a big weakness for Barbarcle). Even switching in on any fire move I can eat up because of how Specially Bulky this Dusknoir is. I put will-o-wisp to make them even weaker. Shadow Sneak for priority stab. Pain Split if I get low. Lastly Thunder Punch for type coverage.
Swellow:
Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Protect

Swellow is an amazing Pokemon and can sweep teams. I brought it along so I can switch in on incoming ground type, fighting, and ghost attacks. I know I can take at least one attack from neutral damage. I'll get toxic'd and then start to do damage with Facade or Brave Bird. I brought U-Turn to keep the offensive momentum. Protect to setup the Toxic. Swellow can outspeed Specs Raichu even with a Speed nature. As well a Specs Electrode without a speed nature, just barely though.

Primeape:
Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

For my next Pokemon I realized I need some revenge killer in case something goes wrong. As well as a Pokemon to get rid of Dusknoir dark weakness. Without the scarf I get a solid 317 speed due to the Jolly Nature and Max EVs. Then the choice scarf, Primeape is a huge threat. As I can't be put to sleep by other Pokemon I can Close Combat a Pokemon and do some solid damage. I brought U-Turn to keep the offensive momentum. Then brought Ice Punch, Stone Edge for type coverage.

Probopass:
Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Probopass is probably one of my favourite looking Pokemon, but that aside he gets access to Stealth Rock and Volt Switch. As he can setup and switch out if there is a threat. Not only that I can flash cannon against incoming fairies. He has an air balloon, to get rid of his ground weakness as well he can be brought in on a ground move if necessary. Earth Power is brought for STAB. I gave him max EVs in Special Attack so he can do some serious damage and still soak up some hits with that 160 in HP.

Lastly,
I still don't know if this team is the best. As I only have one Special Attacker I'd really like everyone's 2 cents on my team. I really wanna start getting more into the competitive meta and I'd really like everyone's help :)!
Hey aim congrats on getting team rater and as you said tag you in our post so you could help rate our teams ;)!

I'm not sure about any other popular raters but it would be really nice for your input :)!

Thanks!

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm sorry to say this but your team has a few flaws:
First of all dragon claw for coverage on barbaracle is a terrible idea given that it only allows you to hit dragons super effectively and nothing else, I would recommend eq or cross chop. Which brings me to my second point being that there is no cleric support for barbaracle so if it gets burned it's pretty useless, I would recommend vileplume who can take grass fighting and ground moves fairly well to it's credit since even with sp.def EV's avalugg can barely even take a leaf storm from uninvested mixtry. Since swallow doesn't necessarily appreciate cleric support switching it out for a defogger (something that synergies well with vile perhaps) like mantine. Since dusknoir isn't needed as a wall anymore it would suggest some variant of spiritomb who can pursuit trap for primape and vileplume. now that barbaracle has eq/cross chop you don't really need steel trapping probo anymore, for something with good offensive presence in the tier atm slurpuff a good option.

I hope I could help a little and if I did I'm very glad, if you read this thanks for putting up with me and have a nice day :]

Vileplume
Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonlight
- Aromatherapy

Mantine
Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Toxic

Spiritomb
Spiritomb @ Black Glasses
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak
- Pain Split

Slurpuff
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Flamethrower
- Surf / Thunderbolt / Energy Ball

Last edited:
The main problem with this team is there really isn't any purpose to multiple team members. Avalugg is really a horrible hazard remover because it loses tons of momentum for a team that somewhat relies on such, and the same thing applies to Dusknoir. Neither has much offensive presence either, allowing scarf stuff like Slurpuff to setup. Furthermore, both are extremely outclassed. Your team is also extremely physical, and has no special attackers outside Probopass, which means Bulk Up Gurdurr or physical walls can 6-0 you with ease.

I think the first thing I would do is to replace Avalugg with Mixed Wallbreaker Shiftry. Shiftry loses far less momentum for your team and is much more difficult to set up on, and is also more reliable at removing hazards. Avalugg's horrible typing and easy means of being walled makes it a terrible pokemon that really shouldn't ever be used. Furthermore, Shiftry has absolutely amazing offensive synergy with Barbaracle, crippling / removing common checks such as Seismitoad or Ferroseed, making it a great assett to your team.

I like Pilobacon's suggestion of Spiritomb over Dusknoir, as Dusknoir simply is extremely weak, and is much more easily set up on as Spiritomb can punch through stuff like SubSG Klinklang with infiltrator at the very least. They essentially cover the same Niche, but Spiritomb far outclasses it with stronger STAB moves, Infiltrator, and better Typing and Bulk.

Minor Changes:
Barbaracle: I would reccomend running Grass Knot > Dragon Claw [with a Naughty Nature], as at +2 SAtk Tough Claws Grass Knot easily OHKO's its biggest threat, Seismitoad. I would also run a Lum Berry to more easily set up on pokemon with Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp, as Barbaracle is just bulky enough to find setup opportunities.
Swellow: Quick Attack > Protect is absolutely necessary, as it means you won't fall to shitty sucker punches or scarfers, and will mean your cleaning with Swellow goes uninterrupted.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Defog

Spiritomb @ Dread Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak / Shadow Ball / Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Hi nogoodmanny, the main problem with your team is the fact that some members are really subpar pokemon in the NU metagame but changing them it will be certainly more effective.

First of all Avalugg is not a good entry hazards remover and changing it to Mixed Life Orb Shiftry like Brawlfest said can easily solve your problem as it is much more reliable and easily defogs on the switches it forces and fits better on an offensive team like yours. It also provides you with a quick way of getting rid of Rhydon who troubles Swellow a lot.
I also agree with Brawlfest's second suggestion as using something like Spiritomb over Dusknoir really helps because the secondary Dark typing removes the Knock Off weakness and gives it a much stronger priority in STAB Sucker Punch while mantaining the burn spreading capabilities.

Probopass should also run Hidden Power Fire over Volt Switch as Ferroseed is an huge threat to Barbaracle and to your team in general and being able to trap it and get rid of it is extremely, extremely useful and after that change put Earthquake (or Grass Knot) over Dragon Claw and Lum Berry on Barbaracle as it has the bulk to setup on most physical attacker without a boosting item anyway and Lum Berry lets it avoid a Thunder Wave or Will-o-Wisp so that you can continue your sweep.

Edit: why do my suggestion look like Brawlfest's i swear i havent read them :O

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)