XY UU Scrub's First RMT

Greetings! I am A Random Scrub, and the name kind of says it all. After a long stint playing in RU, I finally got fed up with the constant Fake Out Ambipoms and the double Regenerator Toxic stall and decided to jump back into UU for a breath of fresh air. I've had decent success so far, currently peaking at just about 1300 with this team, and figured you fine people could give me a hand with polishing it up.

Dat Hair (Ampharos-Mega) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch

Who doesn't love that adorable sheep-thing that is Ampharos, especially after it got a Mega form with the best hair around? With its incredibly SpAtk, it gives me a ton of power on the special side, with the cost of being incredibly slow. HP Grass covers some nasty Ground type threats, such as Rhydon/Rhyperior, and Swampert, and Volt Switch provides part one of my VoltTurn combo. Not to mention some smart playing with normal Ampharos can get good results thanks to Static.

Update: Changed EVs to 132 HP/124 Spe to still provide decent bulk, but now allows it to outspeed neutral base 60s, including some threats like Swampert/Donphan/Rhyperior, generally 1HKO'ing with Hidden Power.

What is This? (Swampert) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

(Seriously, what -is- Swampert? It's listed as a "Mud Fish Pokemon", but I don't think mud fish look like that...)

Initially I tried to use an Emploeon to cover for Amphy's weaknesses, but all it really did was add to my Ground weakness while only really giving me priority from Aqua Jet. Swampert, on the other hand, is an amazing physical wall, dealing quite well with threats like Victini, while also giving me Rocks and phasing for Crocune and other setup sets. Even without any attack investment, he's capable of doing some insane damage with Waterfall and Earthquake.

Update: Replaced Watefall with Scald, allowing Swampert to be a bit more relaxed. And it ensures he isn't totally useless when burned.

Floral Ninja (Roserade) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Probably one of my favorite UU Pokemon, Roserade is truly a jack-of-all-trades. Capable of soaking dishing plenty of damage to most anything, take special hits decently, and even provide status protection, I'm not sure why it isn't used more(outside of perhaps it doesn't get Sludge Wave for Chesnaught...). Even Florges doesn't like to take Sludge Bombs, and can't touch Roserade in return, and most hits it takes can easily be healed with Giga Drain/Black Sludge.

Update: Thanks to Patrick1088's suggestion, I've switched Roserade into more of a Special Wall/Spikestacker. It is now far more capable of taking hits, applying continual pressure with Spikes/Leech Seed, and can still put out some good damage.

Chandler (Chandelure) @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Looking at the rest of my team, it's slow. Like.. REALLY slow. Scarf Chandy is a big help with that, providing even more pressure on the special side, as well as allowing me to cripple the likes of Chansey and Sableye with Trick. Not to mention this is the bane of Weezings thanks to Flash Fire. I do need to generally use some prediction, however, as many teams have some way to either block or neutralize any attempt to abuse said Flash Fire procs. Along with Flamethrower and Shadow Ball for STAB, Energy Ball provides good coverage for any potential Water/Ground switches.

Update: Again, thanks to Patrick1088, SubCM Chandy has proved to be a great change. Freely setting up Subs on any number of swich-ins and generally getting at least 1 free shot off provides great pressure. And if all threats against Chandy have been removed, it allows a strong setup sweep late game.

Mr. Miyagi (Mienshao) @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Part two of the VoltTurn Combo. CB Mienshao is just a monster. Combining incredible speed, physical power, and Regenerator, it's hard to not like it. Many times this set has saved me from potential losses, and once or twice has cost me a match.. Stone Edge and Poison Jab give me great coverage, but I am considering switching Jab for Knock Off, due the Jab having 0 use so far. And I know what you're thinking: "Why Jump Kick instead of HJK?" I'm the kind of person that can miss 3 Will-o-Wisps in a row, then proceed to get swept by 6 Stone Edges hitting in a row. So I'll take a slight loss in power for 5% more accuracy. The only real tradeoff I've seen from it comes in the fact I cant 1hko Goodra, but the Rocks make up for it.

Chompy (Krookodile) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Dear god do I love this set. Pursuit has lead to many a Psychic types death, including that jerk Victini if they try to play around my blocking of Flare Blitz with Swampert. Outside of trapping, Crunch and EQ deal considerable damage, especially after the Moxie boost. Superpower provides some extra power, but never sees too much use. Expert Belt provides me with even more power without the cost of Life Orb or being locked in with a Band/Scarf. Considering moving at least some HP into Speed, but not really sure the best spot for him.

Update: Changed EVs to 56 HP/200 Spe and Nature to Jolly to allow it to outspeed and OHKO Timid Nidoking/queen(and I've only run into Scarfs since..)

Update #2: Switched Knock Off with Crunch, which allows me more opportunity to remove items, but haven't really noticed a big difference in performance.

Some of the threats I've found:

- Hazards: While my team has no Rock weakness outside of Chandalure, and Roserade can deal with Toxic Spikes through both typing and Aromatherapy, Sticky Web is a big problem due to the general lack of speed on my team. Additionally, any hazard heavy team can potentially cause trouble, but those I've encountered tend to end up taking far more damage than I do simply trying to set them up.

- Heracross: The Scarf variant pretty much destroys my team, including Chandalure. Swampert can wall it decently, but if it falls I may be in a bit of trouble. I have some ways to deal with banded, but even that can mess me up pretty badly.

- Earthquake: Again, outside of Swampert's bulk, it can hurt me pretty badly. Even Roserade can't take one too well, despite being able to nail a strong Giga Drain off most users of it.

- Cloyster: While I can phase it out of Shell Smash, I've still had people play around Swampert quite well, and then the rest of my team is fair game for a mix of Rock Blast and Icicle Spear. And Chandalure's Scarf doesn't do anything to help outspeed after the +2..

Honstly, this is one of the few teams I've made that I feel is actually at least decent, but I know it can still use some work.

Importable:
Dat Hair (Ampharos-Mega) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch

What is This? (Swampert) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Floral Ninja (Roserade) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Chandler (Chandelure) @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Mr. Miyagi (Mienshao) @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Chompy (Krookodile) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Last edited:
give mienshao choice scarf. I know that means that you'll have two scarfers, but Mienshao was pratically MADE to be scarfed. Also consider putting sleep powder on roserade to potentially put heracross/hazard setters to sleep. Or give roserade more defensive set. Put Kniock Off over Pursuit on Krookodile. I know mienshao already has Knock off but with Pursuit, you have to be a genius at predicting, or it fails miserably. Also, it could help you knock off leftovers or eviolites on pokemon if mienshao got taken down.

After using the team some more, and doing a bit of research into some speed tiers, I've updated Ampharos and Krookodile's EVs to better deal with some of the threats to themselves and the team. Additionally, I gave Knock Off to Mienshao, as I literally used Poison Jab 0 times since making this team.

give mienshao choice scarf. I know that means that you'll have two scarfers, but Mienshao was pratically MADE to be scarfed. Also consider putting sleep powder on roserade to potentially put heracross/hazard setters to sleep. Or give roserade more defensive set. Put Kniock Off over Pursuit on Krookodile. I know mienshao already has Knock off but with Pursuit, you have to be a genius at predicting, or it fails miserably. Also, it could help you knock off leftovers or eviolites on pokemon if mienshao got taken down.
I know Scarf Mienshao is rather popular, but I really enjoy using Choice Band for the sheer wallbreaking ability it gives me, especially since I tend to shy away from using HJK. The Band pretty much gives me a 1HKO vs Goodra, who can wall me pretty badly if Krook is down. Even then, the Scarf only would really help me vs Scarf Hera.

Concerning Roserade, I mainly use it as a special attacker, as well as a sponge for Suicune/Grass types. I could see Sleep Powder being a decent alternative to Aromatherapy, but then I open myself up to the threat of being stalled pretty heavily.

And for Krook, if I gave it Knock Off, I'd run it instead of Crunch. Pursuit may require some good predictions, but it works great for things like CB Victini who try and get around Swampert with Zen Headbutt, as well as pretty much guaranteeing a revenge kill on anything my opponent may want to preserve. Also, Alakazams seem to have this weird tendency to switch out vs it, despite generally running Dazzling Gleam or Energy Ball...

Cool team you have there! Just a few points...
1. I havent seen too many hp grass in amphy so ill have to tryit. I usually run modest with coverage in focus blast. Ill get back to you on this.
2. Waterfall is pretty meh on swampy. I recommend going for scald for burn chance making swampy that much bulkier. Relaxed nature if you switch of course!
3.personally i think sp def roserade would match up nicely with defensive swampy. But, you seem pretty keen on a more offensive set while havinv aromatherapy. It can be an offensive spiker, lo attacker, sp wall.
4. If you do decide to play roserade as more of a spikestacker whether offensive or defensive, i recommend changing chandy to a subcm set. It can set up on spinners that try to spin and it walls blissey and florges. Scarf chandy is cool though too. Just change flamethrower for fire blast. You need all the power you can get.
4.i also backing up scarf on shao. Guts cb hera is a much better wallbreaker. Shao can be pickex off too easily when its LO or band. You have infernape, crobat. Mega doom and absol. Zam. Aero.
5. My only only suggestiomln on krook is knock off over crunch. Trust me on this one! 2 knock offs are more powerful that 2 crunches and it cripples the poke.

So I took a few days off of playing Showdown, so I didn't manage to do much work on the team lately. However, I started trying out the SpDef Roserade and SubCM Chandy combo today, and my god does it work well on this team. Haven't really gotten to set chandy up, but just being behind a sub has allowed it to do a ton of work(and somehow not miss any Fire Blasts).

The problem with giving Mienshao a scarf is that I then have no direct way to deal with Goodra. Right now, a Band pretty much guarantees a 1hko, but even HJK can't 1hko after hazards. I'm actually playing with the idea of switching it with a Lucario, as it will give me a strong physical setup, as well as priority that my team is lacking. Only downside is that it would give me a bit more ground vulnerability.

I did give Krook Knock Off, but I don't think aside from removing items it's really changed much. Now it just does a bit more damage upfront where Crunch deals consistent hits.

A Random Scrub goodra is just shiny toy syndrome. Its only real niche is sap sipper plus a good attack and grwat sp def. Hydreigon does the mixed dragon better and haxorus hits so much harder. Outspeeding scarf hydreigon and +1 haxorus are really huge in the current meta. Scarf shao isnt about nabbing those ohko, its about picking off and pivoting. Its able to do this job consistently thanks to regenerator. Even if Goodra is your sole reason for wanting banded sbao, then this calc will show you that you dont need band.

252 Atk Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 277-327 (72.1 - 85.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

Even if you were paranoid, then switch shao to reckless over regenerator and all ypu need is one hazard and its almost a guaranteed ohko

252 Atk Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 331-391 (86.1 - 101.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Sp def roserade can take almost anything goodra can throw at it. Draco meteor does at most 59% and fire blast does 66% to 252/240+ roserade. Youre naturally faster anx can synthesis stall out. Trust me on this the ability to check scarf hydreigon and +1 haxorus is more important than anything else since your team cant stand up to either dragon more or less both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)