Ubers RMT, Help Me Out

Hi, this is my first Ubers team, and although I'm not new to competitive battling, I'm very new to Ubers, so I wanted some of you all to check it out and let me know what you think. I haven't gone very far up the ladder in testing, so I'm not sure if it's just the way I play or if this team has holes in it. I wanted to build a team around Yveltal after seeing people use it in battles (plus it looks siiick), as well as Mega Gengar, since I wasn't able to really use it in OU before Gengarite was banned. I'm open to any suggestions.
Here's the team building process:

This thing is really cool, and surprisingly bulky. And I like Dark types. So why not use it?

I needed a Xerneas check of some sort. Plus I heard of its sheer power and wanted to try it out.

I needed a physical attacker on my team. I also realized that Gengar could not stand up to Geomancy Xerneas alone, and I'd rather not have to sack it every time to bring down Xerneas with Destiny Bond. Thus, Ho-oh became my second Xerneas check.

Kyogre would wreck my team as it is, so I added Palkia in an attempt to stop that from happening. It acts as a general special tank too.

Groudon joined as support and a physical wall to my physically frail team. Sun also lets Ho-oh wreck with Sacred Fire, which is fun.

Realizing that two of my Pokemon were SR weak, I needed something to get rid of it. Arceus seems to be the answer for that in Ubers.

Yveltal @ Dread Plate
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt
Yveltal met every expectation and more when I first used it. I love Dark Aura because it lets Sucker Punch do large chunks of damage even with little EV investment, while Dark Pulse becomes ridiculously hard-hitting. Oblivion Wing keeps up survivability and is a nice Flying STAB, while Taunt is on there for stallbreaking, preventing annoying Pokemon like Chansey, Blissey, and Ferrothorn from being too useful. I chose Dread Plate because I'm not a fan of Life Orb recoil.

Gengar-Mega (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Destiny Bond
- Focus Blast
Typical Mega Gengar set (which isn't very far off from a Gengar set I would use in OU). I really only added him in at first because 1. I needed something to check Xerneas and 2. He seemed fun to use. Gengar has proved to be a useful special sweeper, but at the same time he seems to be the most expendable team member. His move set is self-explanatory: 2 STAB moves plus Focus Blast for coverage, although I hate its accuracy. Destiny Bond is when I know I'm about to get screwed over by a +2 Moonblast, and is a last ditch effort in other situations as well.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Roost
I love Regenerator - it makes Ho-oh that much better. Sacred Fire and Brave Bird are your self-explanatory STABs and Earthquake is there for Arceus-Rock, Tyranitar, and other things that threaten to Stone Edge me. Roost helps me keep up as a Xerneas check, and with it's ability, ensures that I'll be able to save this thing in case I need it later. I chose these EVs to have a more specially bulky Ho-oh, and it's worked well for me so far.

Palkia @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast
Assault Vest makes Palkia so resilient to special attacks, it's ridiculous. This is what stops Kyogre from wiping out my team, as even under the rain it takes Water Spouts well while doing large chunks of damage with Thunder. Spacial Rend and Hydro Pump are for STAB while Fire Blast was kind of a filler move, though it actually does a lot to support Groudon under the sun.

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
Not much to say about your typical support Groudon. It's a solid switch-in against most physical sweepers in the tier. Earthquake and Stone Edge are seen on pretty much every Groudon, so that doesn't need any explaining. Stealth Rocks are the only hazards I have, but it's nice to help wear down some fatter Pokemon or pivots. Roar is there to stop setup sweepers and to quicken the process of wearing down Pokemon with Stealth Rocks. I may replace Roar with Thunder Wave to cripple faster enemies, as my team overall isn't made up of Pokemon with particularly high speeds.

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Defog
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
As I said before, having Yveltal and Ho-oh meant the need for a Defogger to get rid of Stealth Rocks, and Arceus was the solution. I chose Fairy type to patch up holes in my teams, as Arceus-Fairy becomes a solid check to Darkrai, Palkia, Zekrom, Rayquaza, Mega Mewtwo X, and Mega Blaziken. I put EVs in Defense and gave it Bold Nature for E-killer and Mega Kangaskhan. Everything on the move set is standard, with Will-o-Wisp to cushion physical blows and wear enemies down.

The team obviously isn't perfect. Here are some of the threats I've encountered, although I may be missing a few.​

You'd think that with 2 checks, I'd be able to handle this thing. I can handle it, just not very well, especially if Ho-oh has taken unnecessary damage prior.

I don't know why this thing is a threat, but it is. Even at -2 a Draco Meteor from Dialga does more than half to Palkia. If I send in Arceus to absorb a Draco Meteor and get rid of the SR it sets up, it just destroys me with a Flash Cannon. Ho-oh can sponge it hits, but there are always those few that are Scarfed or Specs and carry Thunder.

Usually this thing is frail enough that Yveltal can knock it out with Sucker Punch, but it's movepool is so vast that it'll have the most unpredictable moves on it: I've seen everything from Meteor Mash to Rock Slide to even a Focus Sash Swords Dance Extremespeed set. If I'm not careful I can easily lose a valuable team member.

Importable
Yveltal @ Dread Plate
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt

Gengar-Mega (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Destiny Bond
- Focus Blast

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Roost

Palkia @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Defog
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey The tank is here,

It's a fairly solid team you have here. There are a few common threats that run over this team, most importantly Xerneas, then Ho-Oh and Blaziken. Xerneas beats you easily after rocks are up. Literally all the opponent has to do is place SR, sack the setter, send in Xerneas and win. Blaziken not only loves the free sun you are giving it, but its only adversary is a soft check in Fairyceus, and maybe Yveltal's Sucker Punch after it is low enough in HP. However, I will say this- it is a much more situational threat since Fairyceus fares relatively well against it. You mainly fear SD variants and when it's in the sun and stuff. Ho-Oh, also a sun abuser, can literally punch holes in this team with ease and get free switches on Fairyceus. Besides this, Gengar removes Fairyceus easily which is a nuisance given that you need rocks off the field for Ho-Oh. Finally, Darkrai is annoying since it auto-sleeps something due to your lack of a sleep absorber.

So to fix this stuff, there are a few things you can do. For one, you are completely misusing Gengar. I mean, I get that you are new but it is not the power, nor is it its ability to check Xerneas that people use Gengar. It is the extremely useful, extremely powerful utility in the form of shadow tag. Since you really aren't even using it to it's best ability, I would suggest Scizor. Scizor will give you a more reliable Xerneas check, while also boasting the ability to check Ekiller and Kangaskhan to a certain extent. Plus it could theoretically have defog, and it does have pursuit which is useful when running Fairyceus. The biggest issue is that it gives Ho-Oh even more free switches. This will help a little bit overall, especially with Xerneas. You could also decide to run CB Ho-Oh with Sleep Talk, giving you a sleep absorber. These changes will make it so that you are now slightly less weak to Blaziken with more priority (albeit weak), and still very Ho-Oh weak, but will fix up most of everything else. Yveltal could definitely be changed, but I get that you built around it and will be reluctant to make changes there.

OPTIMIZATION:

Yveltal- Item should be life orb, as the recoil problem is alleviated by Oblivion Wing, while it gives you much more power overall. The nature should be Mild- it is a lot of power to pass up and Hasty doesn't do much for you.

Gengar- Taunt > Shadow Ball. I mean, it is not a sweeper. It is a utility mon. It really isn't a Xerneas check but if you want to use it like that, 76 SDef EVs can avoid the OHKO from Moonblast if rocks are off the field. This allows you to force it to self KO the next turn or do something stupid like Geo again or Focus Blast. I do feel that Scizor would be better on this team though.

Ho-Oh- I suggested banded; however, this is not necessary. This team is fairly offensive so an offensive LO Ho-Oh will better than what you currently have. That's my opinion ofc, but this team doesn't need you to run defensive Ho-Oh. Also, you want to hit an odd HP number for Ho-Oh.

Palkia- Your team is fairly Kyogre weak, so it makes sense to run the AV. Alternately, you could simply run a LustKia for more power and Twave > Thunder which helps with Xerneas, I suppose. 4 SDef > 4 HP also.

Groudon- Looks okay

Fairyceus- You should definitely creep to base 100s. This lets you outspeed a lot of important stuff like Palkia, Kangaskhan, and Yveltal. So that would be a spread of 248 HP / 164 Def / 96+ Spd.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input haxiom! Making a few of these changes have already helped me a lot. I personally still prefer AV Palkia over LustKia, but Banded Ho-oh is something I'm starting to like more.I have two questions for you:

1. What set do you suggest for a Mega Scizor? I use a 252 HP / 40+ Atk / 216 SpD set in OU with BP, Knock Off, Defog, and Roost, but I'm assuming that won't take me far since Ubers is different from OU.

2. I would really like to keep Yveltal, but out of curiosity, what would you suggest as a replacement for Yveltal? Is Darkrai a good replacement, or no?

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The tank is here said:
1. What set do you suggest for a Mega Scizor? I use a 252 HP / 40+ Atk / 216 SpD set in OU with BP, Knock Off, Defog, and Roost, but I'm assuming that won't take me far since Ubers is different from OU.
Two options. 248 HP / 252+ Atk / 8 SDef or 248 HP / 16+ Atk / 244 SDef for the spread, with Pursuit > Knock Off for the set.

2. I would really like to keep Yveltal, but out of curiosity, what would you suggest as a replacement for Yveltal? Is Darkrai a good replacement, or no?
Hm no not really. Basically, some sort of Ho-Oh check would be nice. There are some really similar teams to this, one of which ran ScarfOgre, if I am not mistaken. It's on some thread somewhere. This is mostly to put offensive pressure on Ho-Oh and revenge Mewtwo.

Hello fren, nice team you got here, seems like well put bulky offense sun team, that's an archetype I always enjoy seeing in play. Although your team looks solid overall, I think some changes can be made for good, of course.

To start it off, I feel like Klefki is a very good pokemon on this team, it has the potential to check Yveltal and Xerneas at the same time as well as setting up Spikes and be annoying to the opponent in general. I think Klefki over Mega-Gengar is the best option here as you have great variety of bulky attackers with the help of Spikes that Klefki can offer, as well paralysing stuff with Thunder Wave, making it easier for Ho-Oh, Yveltal and Palkia to dismantle teams. Klefki cannot only do that, but it also offers the ability of being a full check for Yveltal (thanks to the resistance of both dual STABs and a decent Sp.Def stat) as well as being a pseudo check for Geomancy Xerneas, which your team really needs. Although you give up the trapping and stallbreaking ability that Mega Gengar has, with the changes I'll suggest in the future that won't be much of a problem. As for EVs, EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SDef with a Careful nature allows you to take a +2 Focus Blast from Xerneas, although you switch it in the turn they use Geomancy and in the next one you cripple it with Thunder Wave, it is important to be able to live a Focus Blast in case you want some prior damage before Klefki dies. With 8 Atk EVs, Klefki always breaks the substitute with Play Rough (thanks to Xerneas' own Fairy Aura ability which boosts the power of Fairy moves in general) in case you find Sub-Geo Xerneas variants. As for moves, Play Rough is a good STAB move that does great damage to both Xerneas and Yveltal. Thunder Wave for crippling Xerneas as well as other pokemon to make it easier for your offensive mons to destroy the opponent. Toxic is good for crippling Calm Mind users like Arceus and common switchins like Groudon and Landorus-T. Lastly, Spikes is a common hazard move that is used on Klefki a lot, it adds damage to the opponent's pokemon, which is certainly of great help on this team, especially since you have some big threats like Ho-Oh, Palkia and Yveltal.

Klefki (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Spikes

Now that we have a Fairy on the team, a second Fairy is not needed as it only adds a Mega Gengar weakness so I feel like Arceus-Ghost over Arceus-Fairy would be a great change since your team seem very weak to Mega-Kangaskhan, Mewtwo formes and Blaziken, although it is shaky for Arceus-Ghost to check the last pokemon that was mentioned, it still forces it to go for Flare Blitz, which ends in suicide most of the times. Arceus-Ghost can also Defog for Ho-Oh and also act like a spin blocker in case you need it to. It is a really good multitask pokemon, I enjoy using it in a lot of my teams haha. Anyways as for the EVs, 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spd with a Timid nature allows it to outspeed Max HP Garchomp, as well speed creeping the standard support Arceus set. With that set, Arceus can also live a Flare Blitz from Mega Blaziken in the sun, although it is regular damage (not +2), Looking at your team, (Mega) Blaziken has no time to set up in front of any of your pokemon (The exception COULD be Klefki but it gets Thunder Wave'd in exchange which makes it easier for Ho-Oh or Yveltal to check it) and Mega Kangaskhan can't really touch it, except if it has Crunch, which does pitiful damage with the help of Will-o-Wisp anyways. As for moves, Judgment is a really strong STAB move so you should always consider that. Recover is a recovery move that should alwaays be used on support Arceus. Will-o-Wisp helps with the Mega Kangaskhan problem and also cripples the majority of physical attackers in the metagame. And Defog is needed so you can get rid of hazards so Ho-Oh can come in for free, although it seems like Defog on a spike stacking team might backfire, it is important to have a Defog user when you are using Ho-Oh.

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Judgment
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Now with Klefki paralysing Xerneas, we need something that hits insanely hard to the point that it revenge kills Xerneas after some prior damage with Klefki. The solution is pretty simple, I suggest you to use Choice Band Ho-Oh over your current set, although the set you have is cool, Choice Banded Ho-Oh offers more benefits than your current set does, like the mentioned ability to check a paralysed Xerneas and also is a really big threat to stall teams. With the help of Klefki paralyzing pokemon that might outspeed Ho-Oh and its great hazard support, it is almost impossible to not be 2HKOd by Choice Banded Brave Bird or Sacred Fire. The EVs are fairly standard, 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spd with an Adamant nature allows Ho-Oh to act like an absolute tank, some people like running Max Speed over HP but I think it is unnecessary because the pokemon that are able to check Ho-Oh outspeed it anwyays (Scarf Zekrom, Palkia, Kyogre, Arceus-Rock) so there's no need to run such ridiculous amount of speed, I think you just need a few EVs to outspeed common switchins like Lum Berry Groudon and Landorus-T. The bulk is appreciated just in case it needs to take a hit for the team and then get the lost HP back with the help of its Regenerator ability. As for moves, Sacred Fire and Brave Bird are really powerul STAB moves which destroy everything that is not a resistance. Earthquake for 2HKOing Tyranitar on the switch-in and Sleep Talk so you can switch into Darkrai and absorb the Dark Void, KOing back with any of the moves you might get on the Sleep Talk roll.

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Some minor changes you could do are, using Leftovers Offensive Palkia over Assault Vest, I know Assault Vest is good for checking Kyogre, it is mediocre at best for everything else, without Assault Vest you can use Toxic over Toxic to cripple Arceus formes, Lugia and other mons that might want to take a hit from Palkia. Leftovers is the best item here I feel like because Palkia is your only water resist, I know it seems like a dumb excuse but when Kyogre is THAT big of a threat you do need some slightly good recovery. And for last, use the following Yveltal EV spread: EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd, that, with a Rash nature allows you to outspeed neutral nature base 95 speed pokemon like Rayquaza and Kyurem. I feel like it is a better spread than the one you were using because it makes Yveltal more powerful and the difference of speed doesn't really matter since it is still checked by the same pokemon. Something you can also do is use Life Orb over Dread Plate, the recoil doesn't really matter when you can get the lost HP back with Oblivion Wing, you trade so little for much more benefits.

Nice team, good luck :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)