Resource Don't Use That, Use This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright *gulp* i guess its time to hit the bottom of the barrel when it comes to Assault Vest Pokemon, theres absolutely nothing that can get worse than this...

Don't Use This:

Whimsicott @ Assault Vest
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Why its unholy:

As i mentioned before, this is pretty much the absolute worst Pokemon you could ever use an Assault Vest on (i've knocked off two of these...). The reason you should be using Whimsicott in the first place is for the combination of its support moves and Prankster. Leech Seed, Stun Spore, Encore, Taunt, Tailwind, Sunny Day, Memento, etc, etc, are all the goodies that make Whimsicott worth using at all. When holding an Assault Vest, you literally throw the reason you should ever be considering using Whimsicott in the first place away, even a theoretical offensive Life Orb Whimsicott set doesn't give this up (used this on a joke team before), as it can still dedicate the last moveslot to one of these excellent support moves. To make things even worse, Whimsicott doesn't hit nearly hard enough to get away with any form of offensive set without a boosting item really, so theres absolutely no upside to running an Assault Vest on this thing.

Instead, Use This:

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore
- U-turn

Why this is viable at all unlike fking AV cott:

This is the set that takes advantage of Whimsicott's positive qualities best, and if you're going to use Whimsicott at all, this is what you should be using. With this set, Whimsicott uses its typing and access to priority Encore and Stun Spore to get in on all kinds of common threats such as Virizion, Sharpedo, and Hitmonlee, force all kinds of switches with the threat of priority Stun Spore and Encore, and use U-turn on predicted switches to gain all kinds of momentum. Moonblast is really just there to make sure Whimsicott isn't taunt bait and to beat Virizion more easily. Really, if you're going to use Whimsicott, use it for what it's good at, don't throw that entire support movepool down the trash heap =/.

Half of all Ludicolo are running AV this is so messed up

Don't use:

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 104 HP/ 108 Def / 252 SAtk / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

An AV set may seem appealing for Ludicolo, since it has access to Giga Drain, decent special bulk, Rain Dish, and good coverage. However, it faces notable problems. Running AV means that you kill the purpose of using Ludicolo in the first place. It is relatively weak in terms of power and it cannot utilize the amazing Swift Swim. It is also extremely reliant on team support to set up rain to increase its longevity. It's also vulnerable to all hazards and status as they can quickly wear it down. If you want to use a Water-type AV user, Slowking is a far better option because of Regenerator and access to Psyshock, Fire Blast, and Dragon Tail. Tangrowth is a better Grass-type AV user as it still has solid physical defense and also has more offensive presence (and it gets Regenerator as well!)

Use this instead:

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Ludicolo's use in RU is to be a rain sweeper, and with its solid typing and wide coverage, it executes it very well. It has enough bulk to be able to set up its own rain and possibly free a moveslot for a teammate. Its 4x water resistance helps it switch in on mons like special Sharpedo, Gorbyss, and non-Psyshock Slowking. Rain-boosted Hydro Pump hits a lot of stuff hard while Swift Swim allows it to outspeed a ton of threats, and Giga Drain is still useful to heal it allow it to take down more mons. Make sure that all checks are removed before attempting to sweep, as Ludicolo lacks any form of recovery outside of Giga Drain.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Another AV user that kinda makes me just facepalm every time I see it just due to how outclassed it is:

DO NOT USE:

Clawitzer @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Nature: Modest
- Water Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Why it sucks:

Clawitzer seems like a perfect Pokemon to use an Assault Vest. With that high Special Attack, Mega Launcher providing some extra power, and even access to U-turn to be a pivot, Clawitzer seems perfect.... except for the fact that Slowking exists and Clawitzer should be breaking down walls. Slwoking completely outclasses Clawitzer as an Assault Vest user as it has Regenerator, better overall bulk, and a phazing move to prevent setup. U-turn also kills the coverage that makes Clawitzer so hard to switch into in the first place, as the lack of Aura Sphere or a power boost to its STAB move gives Registeel ample opportunity to wall it for days while Aromatisse isn't threatened nearly as much by the power level of this set. You shouldn't use Clawitzer to tank hits. You should use it to dish out pain.

USE THIS INSTEAD:

Clawitzer @ Life Orb
Nature: Modest / Timid
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Why it works well:

With a Life Orb equipped and full coverage, Clawitzer suddenly becomes one of the hardest wallbreakers to switch into in the entire tier. USE SCALD OVER WATER PULSE. My god, the 10 extra BP does nothing and the potential chance to burn shit like Virizion, Slowking, and Aromatisse is super cool for the extra GUARANTEED passive damage. Ice Beam smacks Grasses and the god known as Druddigon, and Dark Pulse tears a new one against bulky Ghosts and Psychics. Aura Sphere is 100000% better than U-turn as it seriously dents Registeel, allowing Clawitzer to be one of the few Pokemon that single-handedly destroys the Slowking + Registeel backbone used on quite a few balanced and bulky offense teams. With maximum Speed, Clawitzer gets ahead of most walls in the tier, including Gligar, Cresselia, and Golbat. Modest gives more power while Timid can be used if you give Clawitzer Sticky Web support. You could use Choice Specs as well, but why give up on the ability to utilize this amazing coverage? Oh, and DON'T USE DRAGON PULSE. Ice Beam is so much better.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Enough of this AV I have something equally horrible yet more popular.

DON’T USE:

Delphox @ Power Herb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Solar Beam

Why it sucks:

I get the idea; you Solar Beam something like Rhyperior or Slowking and stole their item. Unfortunately this strategy is a one-time use and Delphox will usually end with a useless item and will miss the power of Life Orb. Another bad thing about this set is that after Power Herb has been burned Solar Beam becomes a wasted moveslot and you will get walled by bulky waters like Slowking and bulky rock types like Rhyperior finally here are some calcs showing how pathetic unboosted Solar Beam is:

252 SpA Delphox Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 162-192 (41.2 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Delphox Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 372-438 (85.7 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Delphox Solar Beam vs. 104 HP / 152 SpD Alomomola: 342-404 (68.8 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

VS:

0 SpA Slowking Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Delphox: 174-206 (59.5 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Delphox: 378-446 (129.4 - 152.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Use this instead:

Delphox @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Grass Knot / Shadow Ball

Why it’s better:

With Calm Mind and LO Delphox can do some serious damage to walls like Aromatisse, Slowking and Alomomola. Fire Blast and Psyshock are STABS that hit ridiculously hard even at +0 thanks to LO, CM is Delphox’s best way to do middle game sweeping and it will boost her offenses to an even great level and the last move is coverage, Grass Knot deals super effective damage to bulky waters and rock types while Shadow Ball deals with bulky psychic types. Fun calcs:

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 104 HP / 152 SpD Alomomola: 335-395 (67.4 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 211-250 (53.6 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 480-565 (110.8 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Don't use that:

Reuniclus @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire

Why it's bad:
While Reuniclus's good bulk, power, and access to Regenerator may seem to make it a good Assault Vest user, this is not the case. Reuniclus is a Pokemon that relies on its status moves to be useful. With Assault Vest, it cannot heal itself with Recover, be a huge threat to offensive teams with Trick Room, or obliterate stall with Calm Mind. Additionally, this set gives up Magic Guard, another one of the best traits of Reuniclus. If you want to use an AV Psychic-type in RU, Meloetta and Slowking are much better choices.

Instead, use this:

Reuniclus @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Why it's better:
With Calm Mind, Reuniclus can act as a terrifying sweeper that is a nightmare for defensive teams to deal with. Unlike the AV set, this set utilizes all of Reuniclus's fantastic traits effectively: amazing ability, great bulk, reliable recovery, and access to setup moves. With Magic Guard, Reuniclus is impossible to wear down, especially for defensive teams, while offensive teams have trouble switching into its powerful attacks and can often have trouble breaking through it as well.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, if we're up for AV mons, here's my weigh-in.

Don't Use This:

Drapion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake / Aqua Tail

Why it's bad:

Drapion is great, but this set isn't. Now I can see why one would be intrigued to run an Assault Vest on Drapion; it looks like a good user on paper, as it has a wide offensive movepool, access to Pursuit, good physical bulk, and a great set of specially oriented resistances. However, Drapion suffers immensely from its lack of power. Base 90 Attack is really weak without any boosts, and Drapion isn't going to be doing serious damage without Swords Dance, nor will it be able to make good use of its great support movepool. It also can't heal itself, so it cannot repeatedly come in on things like Mismagius, Aromatisse, Slurpuff, and Rotom-C since it's getting worn down. This set is a waste of a teamslot and of Drapion's potential, hitting like a wet paper bad and not actually accomplishing anything worthwhile.

Instead, Use This:

Drapion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab / Taunt
- Earthquake

-OR-

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Whirlwind
- Knock Off

Why it's better:

Again, Drapion is pretty great in RU, but the two above sets are the true ways to make effective use of Drapion and comprise its main niches in RU. Swords Dance Drapion actually can afford to sweep, and uses its nice coverage and good bulk to become a great stallbreaker. It can also afford to sweep on a Sticky Web team if possible (and it's good at that). It's a much better way to use Drapion. In addition, the specially defensive set is a reliable Toxic Spikes setter and does just what AV Drapion aims to do; check special threats, and can also support its team with Toxic Spikes, Knock Off, and Whirlwind, while Taunt is neat too. So if you want to use Drapion, use one of the two above sets; AV Drapion is ineffective and is just something that tries too hard to be a hybridization of SD and Specially Defensive Drapions.

Just my two cents.

Don't use that:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Return
- Belly Drum
- Thief
Why it's bad:

I have seen Thief too many times on the ladder and honestly i don't get why it has 14% usage on Surpuff. If you didn't already know THIEF REMOVES THE UNBURDEN BOOST completely crippling Slurpuff and making it prone to anything faster, which is a lot of stuff

Instead, Use This:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Return
- Belly Drum
- Substitute

Why it's better:

While not providing additional coverage Substitute is actually situationally useful because it lets Slurpuff set up on Alomomola without the fear of a burn or Toxic (as 4 SpA Alomomola Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Slurpuff: 55-66 (17.9 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO) giving Slurpuff a shield against priority that is certainly more useful than damaging Doublade while it kills you or killing a weakened one while removing your precious Speed boost. Hell, even Aromatherapy, Flamethrower, and Yawn are better options!

What I am getting from this thread is "don't use Assault Vest ever". Maybe there should be a separate thread for that item.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What I am getting from this thread is "don't use Assault Vest ever". Maybe there should be a separate thread for that item.
Now let me get the record straight here. We are not saying to never ever use Assault Vest. The main issue is that it is commonly misused. It isn't a useless item, and can be competitively useful. However, it is not an item to be used on just any Pokemon. It needs to be used on the right Pokemon. Assault Vest is meant to be used on Pokemon who can run a viable bulky attacker set, packing sufficient firepower and/or somehow being able to heal itself in one way or another. Good examples of Assault Vest users include Escavalier, Slowking, Druddigon, and Meloetta. These are all Pokemon who can run four attacks and hit reasonably hard, while having good bulk to utilize as well. They all can make excellent use of Assault Vest because they can use it to check many of RU's top special attackers while retaliating with great firepower. Slowking doesn't hit that hard, but it has good firepower nonetheless, takes special hits like a champion, and has Regenerator to consistently heal itself. Bad examples include many of the previous posts, like Whimsicott, Dragalge, and Ludicolo. These Pokemon do not have good firepower and cannot really heal themselves (Whimsicott maybe, but it's weak and in general is kinda a bad Pokemon). Frail Pokemon, those with a good support movepool, or those that can't hit hard should not be running an Assault Vest, as this makes them a liability on a team.

Hope I made the record straight.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know this has been posted before but I'll do it again because 3 out of 5 delphoxes I see in the ladder use it.

DON'T USE THIS:

Delphox @ Power Herb
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Solar Beam

Why it's ohgodsofuckingterrible:
short answer: DON'T USE MAGICIAN ITS TERRIBLE

slightly longer answer: Power Herb magician completely cancels out what Delphox does best: wallbreaking. Without Choice Specs or Calm Mind + Life Orb, Delphox loses out on a lot of power and for what? for slightly hurting Slowking a bit more than Grass Knot and taking away their item. That might sound appealing, but it's not worth it for a number of reasons. For one, Solar Beam is only a 1 turn move for just 1 turn, and then it becomes a move that requires a charging turn like Fly, Dig, etc. which will cripple Delphox a lot since it can no longer like, use Grass Knot to kill Rhyperior. For another, Slowking can simply switch out and you would 1: use Solar Beam on the other Pokemon that switched in and then no longer can use it on Slowking and 2: have yourself a pretty weak Delphox without Grass coverage, which is honestly a big reason that makes Delphox so good.

Instead, use this:

Delphox @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Calm Mind

OR this:

Delphox @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Switcheroo

Why they're better:

These two sets (CM and Specs) focus on wallbreaking which, as I said before, is what Delphox does best. With Calm Mind, Life Orb, and Grass Knot, Delphox can actually do a lot more to Slowking than it could with Solar Beam:

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 190-226 (48.2 - 57.3%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Delphox Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 146-174 (37 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Even though you shouldn't really set up unless Slowking is at like 48% HP or less but thats very unlikely thanks to Regenerator and everything. Additionally, Grass Knot allows you to freely damage all the Pokemon weak to Grass like Seismitoad, Slowking, Rhyperior, and Gastrodon, without having to depend on grass coverage that's only really usable for 1 turn only. If you really want to cripple Slowking that much then you can use Switcheroo to give it a Specs or Scarf on the switch which will cripple it for the rest of the match.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to point out that AV Slowking (the most common variant) can easily make use of Choice Specs due to the fact it has solid coverage and runs heavy Special Attack investment, so it isn't fully crippled by Specs like it would be with Scarf

Don't use this:

Meloetta @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast / Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball

Why it's terrible:

Every time i start a new alt i see sets like this a lot. I can see that Charge Beam has the appealing 100% Special Attack boost but, like Power Up Punch it is outclassed by a boosting move if your name is not Mega Kangaskhan. Not to mention that it can miss.

Use this instead:

Meloetta @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 24 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball

-OR-

Meloetta @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic / Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast

Why it's better:

Meloetta is a terrifying weapon against defensive teams if she uses Calm Mind who also boosts her fantastic Special Defense to terrifiying level to gain free Substitutes and to be harder to revenge kill. The first set has advantages in matchups against balance and Stall as it can avoid status and the second is more useful overall against offensive teams.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
DON'T use this:

Sceptile @ Red Card
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake

Why it's terrible:

Without his flying gem Sceptile is one of the most mediocre SD sweepers that RU even with a high speed stat it won't sweep an experienced player and with mediocre 85 base attack it won't be a good wallbreaker also there are tons of better physical sweepers in the tier that don't rely on gimicks like Red Card to have a successful sweep.

Instead use this:

Virizion @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Why its better:

With better stats (except speed) and a secondary STAB move Virizion outclasses Sceptile in almost every aspect. Close Combat and Leaf Blade are reliable STAB moves while SD makes Virizion a powerful sweeper and Stone Edge is there to hit things like Golbat and Moltres who otherwise wall Virizion's entire moveset. Not only Virizion is bulkier but it also hits harder and can set up in Alomomola's face thanks to his Lum Berry but Life Orb is another option to make Virizion hit even harder.

DON'T use this:

Sceptile @ Red Card
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake

Why it's terrible:

Without his flying gem Sceptile is one of the most mediocre SD sweepers that RU even with a high speed stat it won't sweep an experienced player and with mediocre 85 base attack it won't be a good wallbreaker also there are tons of better physical sweepers in the tier that don't rely on gimicks like Red Card to have a successful sweep.
Use this instead if you want to use Sceptile at all:

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm / Substitute
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Rock / Hidden Power Fire

Sceptile still has good special attack and speed as well as access to Leaf Storm to allow it to be an effective special attacker that can hit hard right off the bat. Note that Virizion has access to Calm Mind, however special Virizion and special Sceptile play completely different, as Virizion is a sweeper while Sceptile is more suited to being a wallbreaker or a revenge killer. Hitting hard right off the bat is what makes Sceptile usable, as the SD set is forced to set up in order to become a threat and is easily forced out.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
I don't see this in the OP and every time I see it I get brain cancer:

Don't use this shit:

I Uber suck (Ambipom) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double Hit
- Power-Up Punch
- U-turn

Why it sucks balls:

Even with Assault Vest, Ambipom has lackluster bulk and he will miss the power that Life Orb gives and the fact that people are still using this horrible creation is unbelievable. Ambipom isn't a bulky sweeper or a pivot, his job isn't to take hits but rather revenge kill with a strong fake out and retreated with a U-turn. Double Hit is another bad move on Ambi because it can miss and it's weaker than Return (even after Technician). And please stop using Power-Up Punch, unless your name is Mega Kanga you won't sweep with a single one and getting one is difficult on the first place and you can use that moveslot for Knock off or Seed Bomb two important coverage moves that Ambipom gets. And stop nicknaming your Ambipom "Handjob" it isn't funny nor mature.

Instead use this:

Ambipom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Knock Off
- U-turn / Low Kick / Seed Bomb

Why it sucks less:

I don't know much about Ambipom but if I ever used one I would use this thing: Life Orb gives the extra power I mentioned while Knock off give it extra coverage and something to hit Doublade for decent damage, Return is more consistent than Double Hit and the last slot depends on your needs: U-turn can be used for scouting purposes while Low Kick and Seed Bomb give extra coverage.

Doing this because Ambipom has been in the top 5 in raw usage for a while now despite being absolute gutter trash that is even worse than usual in a metagame that's as horribly unkind to it as this one. There have already been posts about it, but they were just looking at Ambipom sets that were even worse than the standard one (lol).

Don't Use This:

Ambipom @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- U-Turn
- Knock Off

Why It's Garbage:
I really don't get the appeal of Ambipom, especially in this metagame. While at first glance STAB Fake Out seems like it makes Ambipom a good choice because muh free damage, it actually just gives a free switch to two of the most common and best Pokemon in the entire tier, Doublade and Rhyperior, both of which take essentially nothing from Fake Out and take pathetic damage from Ambipom's other moves, even a super effective Knock Off in Doublade's case. It is also walled by basically any physical or mixed wall such as the common Registeel and Alomomola. As if this weren't bad enough, Ambipom's laughable bulk means that it struggles to take any form of priority, something which is quite common in RU, and is easily taken care of by basically anything that can take a hit from it. On top of this, Ambipom's bland typing and lack of any sort of bulk means that it offers absolutely nothing in terms of synergy as it cannot switch in on anything with any sort of offensive presence.

Instead, Use This:

Cincinno @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tail Slap
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off / U-Turn

Why It's Better:

While Cinccino still suffers from some of the same issues that Ambipom does, it is a much better choice for a few reasons. In addition to being able to hit harder in general thanks to its high base power moves, Cinccino has access to a strong Bullet Seed to prevent Rhyperior from walling it. Its access to Rock Blast also lets it OHKO important Pokemon such as Moltres and Tinted Lens Yanmega, something which Ambipom falls short of doing. Additionally, Cinccino is adorable, while Ambipom is sadly far from it.

Even if Cinccino isn't your cup of tea, there are still many better choices for an offensive Normal-type than Ambipom, such as Braviary, Zangoose, Tauros, and Exploud.

Also if you're wondering how I order the sets in the OP, I try put entries that talk about more common Pokemon / sets closer to the top, so if your entry is closer to the bottom than more recent ones that's why :toast:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Don't use this:

Golbat @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Confuse Ray
- Roost
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

Why it's terribad:

I've been seeing this set a lot on the ladder and I have one word to respond: WHY? Using Confuse Ray removes Golbat's niche in RU which is Defog and Infiltrator Toxic. It might sound appealing to use Confuse Ray to hax opponents since Golbat has respectable bulk and roost, but no. Confuse Ray is taking a moveslot thats very crucial since Golbat suffers from severe 4 moveslot syndrome. Toxic, Defog, and hell even Super Fang are much better moves to use in that slot.

Instead, use this:

Golbat @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic
- Brave Bird

Why its better:
This set takes complete advantage of Golbat's potential with its bulk, ability [infiltrator], typing, and supportive movepool. It's got Toxic which goes well with Infiltrator to punish Sub users such as SubBU Braviary and SubCM Cresselia, and uses Defog, which is Golbat's biggest niche in the RU metagame.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Don't Use This:

Clawitzer @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam / Aura Sphere
- U-turn

Why It's Bad:

19:24Molk!usage clawitzer items
19:24TIBotChoice Specs 44.387% | Life Orb 17.883% | Assault Vest 17.162% | Expert Belt 9.895% | Choice Scarf 5.898% | Other 4.775%

It's just too slow to make good use of the item really. Base 59 Speed x1.5 Modest doesn't even get you past positive natured base 100s when it comes to Speed, leaving you below all kinds of relevant offensive threats such as Delphox, Cobalion, Virizion, and Zoroark. Even with a Timid Nature (if you're dead set on using Choice Scarf Clawitzer, at the very least run this nature instead of Modest), you still only get to just below base 115s such as Cinccino, which isn't really *terrible*, but there are most certainly better options for a revenge killer out there, especially when you could be using Clawitzer for...

Instead, Use This:

Clawitzer @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Scald / Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam / Aura Sphere
- U-turn / Ice Beam

Why It's Better:

The best way to use Clawitzer imo is as a wallbreaker that break break through the majority of RU's common defensive Pokemon and pave the way for something else to clean up. Coming equipped with a massive base 120 Special Attack stat, and effectively 3 spammable STAB moves thanks to its Mega Launcher ability (it basically gives a STAB boost to Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere lol), Choice Specs Clawitzer has no problem just blowing through common defensive Pokemon and cores. Not even Aromatisse, a very very solid specially bulky sponge is safe: if it takes ANY kind of prior damage, it gets cleanly 2HKO'd by Water Pulse, not to mention the risk of being burned by Scald. As an extra, U-turn along with Clawitzer's ability to force switches makes it quite good at gaining momentum for its teammates even if the opponent does have one of the few things that can easily wall it. So all in all, how would you rather use Clawitzer? As a mediocre revenge killer that's still a tad slow even with maximum Speed investment and a boosting nature? Or as a devastating wallbreaker with access to U-turn to boot?

Last edited:
I'm going to use this post as the example entry for the OP since I these two mons play much more similar roles to each other than Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee do.

Don't use that:

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Why it's bad:

To put it bluntly, Hitmonchan is one of the worst choices for an RU team. It is hopelessly outclassed by every other Fighting-type in the RU tier thanks to its lack of Knock Off, horrifically low power for a Fighting-type, inability to scratch the most common Pokemon in the entire tier, Doublade (this also makes the fact that it gets Rapid Spin completely moot, as it is hard countered by the best and most common spinblocker in the tier), and absolute lack of any niche whatsoever. However, there are (many) better options available.

Instead, use this:

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up / Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Why it's better:

Luckily, there exists a Pokemon that is not only both much stronger and bulkier than Hitmonchan, but has access to the coveted Knock Off to let it easily beat Doublade (and ghosts in general, all of them laugh at Hitmonchan). Gurdurr is a terrific Pokemon in RU that entirely outclasses Hitmonchan in every way besides access to Rapid Spin (however as previously stated, Hitmonchan is an awful spinner, use Hitmontop if you want a bulky spinner or Hitmonlee if you want an offensive one). With Bulk Up, Gurdurr also has the ability to become a fearsome bulky setup sweeper. Finally, Gurdurr's fantastic ability in Guts lets it not only be a great status absorber but also lets it set up on Pokemon that laugh at Hitmonchan, such as Alomomola and Jellicent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)