XY NU what even is this

what even is this (NU)

So uh, NU has always been my favorite tier, and I play it often, but have never really found a team that works. 90% of my favorite Pokemon are in it, so I try using them, like Furret, Linoone, Plusle, among others, all of which aren't necessarily bad, but certainly not good either. After having mixed results with a stall team revolving around a defensive core of physical wall Mantine/assault vest Dragalge/special wall Wigglytuff, I decided to create a new team based on some really interesting and fun sets I've heard of, and tweaked to my own liking. I didn't expect it to do well at all, but somehow it didn't lose in its first three days - I've gone 12-3 now which is a pretty good ratio for my standards haha, and now I feel like I really have something that works, and want to make it as good as it can possibly be. Hope you enjoy!

At a Glance:

The Process:

I'm that guy that goes - okay, lead-mon, physical attacker, special attacker, physical wall, special wall, filler. This time around, I decided to build around a Pokemon that I felt would be a ton of fun to use. So, I did that.

Now, Qwilfish on it's own isn't going to do too much, and so I decided to pick up a Pokemon that would be able to come in for Qwilfish and continue its job.

Right off the bat, we have a glaring electric weakness. Need a way to remedy this, as well as have a counter to pesky fairy types running around. I chose a mon that is bulky, and provides the niche I'm looking for in this team.

Now, this is a solid group of attackers and a wall, but a support component wouldn't hurt. This was an interesting choice and definitely not conventional, but it has been working seamlessly every battle. This mon is able to remain alive deep into the battle, setting up its hazards multiple times.

So, we have a pretty solid four at this point. I really value the Fairy type in competitive battling; I feel it's very useful to have one on your team. And as such, I knew the perfect mon to fill this role.

And now, the only slot I had left I decided to try another gimmick mon to aid Qwilfish and Slurpuff in their wrecking of opponent's teams. Initially I felt this was a choice that I'd quickly change, but so far I'd even go as far as to say this mon has been the MVP continously.

In-Depth:

Uxie @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Analysis: This is my lead practically every battle, and quite the useful one. Dual screens have proven to be extremely useful to this team chock-full of set-up sweepers, and usually this set runs Memento in its third slot, but I threw Stealth Rock in there because after the first few battles I found I wasn't using Memento at all. As soon as I get all three of my hazards up, I switch into one of my many attackers and get rolling. There isn't really much to this mon, but it has been a huge help, and I'm quite content with it.

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Explosion
- Poison Jab
- Waterfall

Analysis: The Pokemon that this team was built around! Extremely fun to use, gotta say. It is an absolute joy to have a foe try and take me out while I set up an SD, while they're at full and Qwilfish is at like 6% HP, and then OHKO their mon with an Explosion. So much fun! Really though, this set is a blast. Intimidate is extremely helpful in many situations, and thanks to dual screen I'm usually able to get an SD off if I make a smart switch-in. Even still, Qwil has a hard time taking out opponents by itself. Which is where the next member comes in...

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Analysis: Probably the slot I'm most open to changing. Not to say that Feraligatr hasn't had its uses, but generally it's in here as support for Qwil to take out things that the pufferfish couldn't quite bring down. Also Ice Punch is very helpful as a coverage move; I find myself using it often. Feraligatr isn't as bulky as I'd like it to be, though, and I haven't been able to sweep with it, because in most scenarios I don't have the option to set up a DD.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Frustration
- Play Rough

Analysis: One of the most prominent threats in NU, at least in my opinion. It might be the dual screen support, but it is surprisingly easy to get a sub + belly drum + activate unburden on this cute mon and proceed to plow through the opponent's team. Boosted Frustration obliterates pokemon like Vileplume who are usually sent in on Slurpuff to 'wall' it, and Play Rough is a powerful STAB that is this set's main source. In some cases, however, Belly Drum isn't an option, and this cripples Slurpuff to a degree, which is why in most battles I try to save this pokemon for the end as more of a revenge killer, although it is completely capable of early game sweeps.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Dragon Tail
- Roar

Analysis: My electric/fairy/dragon check, Steelix is a versatile Pokemon on this team, but its moveset is worth changing. I could throw another move onto Uxie and give Steelix Stealth Rock, but I think the way it is right now works better. Would like some feedback on that, though! Roar, obviously, is the filler move in this set, as Dragon Tail is essentially a better form of it. I'm pretty open to changing this slot as well. It's this team's only true 'wall', but has been working well, and it dying doesn't hurt this team too much either, much like Uxie.

Liepard @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Substitute
- Copycat

Analysis: The ace of this team, and another gimmick set. This may be new to some, and it's actually quite the genius strategy that has allowed me to pick apart unprepared teams. Liepard subs, gets a free Nasty Plot, Dark Pulse, and then thanks to Prankster, Copycat becomes priority, meaning that Dark Pulse is a priority move! Essentially the perfect late-game sweeper, and it fits this role perfectly. Especially if I can keep screens up, it is a breeze to get max SpA on this thing and go to town. Not much can stop Liepard once Copycat gets rolling.

Replays:
Checks & Counters:
  • Trick users like Rotom spell trouble for this team.
  • Grass types like Ludicolo.
  • Other fairies are tricky because Steelix's Gyro Ball doesn't exactly hit hard, but if Qwilfish remains alive they aren't too much trouble.
  • Cradily can be very annoying for this team to take out if none of my sweepers get the chance to set up/Feraligatr is gone. I've faced off against one multiple times, and those were probably the most difficult for me to win.
  • Obvious Whirlwind/Dragon Tail/Roar-centric teams that negate my setup sweepers.
  • This team is still in a testing stage so as I battle more I'll update this section! :]
ALL help is appreciated. Be as harsh as possible.

Last edited:
Your Qwilfish set is illegal lol
Anyway the first thing i see is the glarin weakness to offensive grass types like ludicolo and mix shiftry that with a bit of prediction can 2HKO at worst every pokemon on your team. A simple solution would be changing Qwilfish (that is illegal lol) to Choice Specs Dragalge that has similar resistances and wallbreaking capabilities while handily checking the grass types in the tier.
Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald / Focus Blast

Last edited:
Seems like you wanted to take an offensive route when you started teambuilding. But instead of supporting Slurpuff and Liepard with teammates who can help them achieve late game sweeps you slapped a Dual Screen Uxie and a defensive Steelix alongside them. Because of this you lack checks to alot of the tiers top threats like Bulk Up Gurdurr, Vileplume, Shiftry, and Ludicolo. And also the Pokemon you've mentioned. The first change I would make is Mespirt over Uxie. Your current moveset has no way of touching potential checks / counters or even Pokemon it's supposed to check, like Gurdurr for example. Mespirt is a huge upgrade over Uxie because it is capable of threatening most of the metagame with its great coverage. It's also able to fully heal Slurpuff or any other setup sweeper on the team with Healing Wish, giving them a new lease on life. Sure you'll lose some defensive support with the loss of Dual Screens but the offensive pressure applied by Mespirt will make up for that.

I would also change Feraligatrs moveset from Dragon Dance to a bulky Swords Dance set. Since your goal is to pull off an eventual Slurpuff sweep there's no need to boost Feraligatrs speed since its primary role is that of a wallbreaker. With a Swords Dance moveset it becomes much easier for Feraligatr to break down Steel- and Poison-type walls that may impede a Slurpuff sweep. I gave it a Lum Berry so it can heal any burns it may net when taking on bulky Poison-type walls or from Will-o-Wisp users like Spiritomb. Another set that isn't helping much is your Steelix moveset. You should chose to use a more offensive moveset so Steelix doesn't kill your momentum. A moveset that utilizes Life Orb or Leftovers is fine and could really surprise your oppenent since most Steelix's are defensive.

OPTIONAL: You could use Bulk Up Gurdurr (With Ice Punch or Poison Jab as coverage moves) over [Liepard or Steelix] to better deal with Dark-, and Steel-types (especially Ferrothorn). Gurdurr can also deal with headaches like Lanturn, Shiftry, Klingklang, Kangaskhan, and Spiritomb more efficiently than the Pokemon you have now. If you chose this option then you'll be forced to preserve Qwilfish longer than usual so it can check opposing Slurpuff's.

Sets:
Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Healing Wish

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Return
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
Your Qwilfish set is illegal lol
Uh, don't mean to be nitpicky but can you actually explain to me why it's illegal? If you read the OP, Qwilfish is a poke that I intended to keep in my team. Now, I'm open to changing it, but would like to know what's illegal about it before doing anything. Not too well-versed on competitive battling, so even if it's something obvious I wouldn't know.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll go try them out!

Uh, don't mean to be nitpicky but can you actually explain to me why it's illegal? If you read the OP, Qwilfish is a poke that I intended to keep in my team. Now, I'm open to changing it, but would like to know what's illegal about it before doing anything. Not too well-versed on competitive battling, so even if it's something obvious I wouldn't know.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll go try them out!
swords dance is from a move tutor in third generation only while intimidate is a hidden ability

So I've been testing out and trying out your team so far, and it been working pretty well so far, overall its pretty useful. If I were to change anything though, it'd be your Steelix. I would start by replacing Sheer Force over Sturdy Ability due to the fact that the only real 1HKO you'll commonly hit to Steelix is a fire blast, which Qwilfish and Feraligatr can already handle quite well. If you are still concerned with steelix taking 1HKOs or even handling special attacks you could also use Assault Vest over Leftovers which gives Steelix a better fighting chance against specially offence Pokemon. As far as the moveset for Steelix I would switch Iron Head/Iron Tail over Gyro Ball because with sheer force ability plus STAB, either of the two moves would out-power Gyro Ball. If you did replace Gyro Ball with one of those two moves, you can give back a small part of Steelix's already horrendous speed by giving its speed IVs back as well as replacing its Relaxed Nature for either a Impish, Adamant, or Careful Nature, as you don't need any special attack power for Gyro Ball anymore, and any of your defenses or physical attack power could benefit from the boost. For the other moves, Earthquake was a good idea from the beginning so not messing with that, although Crunch over Roar would probably be best bets for a better replacement there, as you may need more coverage against those that Crunch would cover. Dragon Tail is an okay move if your really desperate to get a Pokemon to switch out and take more advantage of Uxie's stealth rocks, however, you may find more benefit from either Ice Fang, Fire Fang, or Thunder Fang over Dragon Tail depending on if you need more coverage or not.

Overall, if you make these changes, I'm pretty sure Cradily shouldn't be as much of a problem, as well as trick teams, fairy types, and possibly help with the grass type problem if you include Ice Fang/Fire Fang.

So Steelix afterwards would look something more like this:

Steelix @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Sp.D
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head / Iron Tail
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Ice Fang/Fire Fang/Thunder Fang

Like I said before though, your team is on a really great start. Uxie does an excellent job of covering your team I personally wouldn't change that one too much with its useful dual screens, as well as your Feraligatr and Quilfish with Life Orbs, who both have massive potential in set up sweeps. Although the only other issue I've had with the team is Liepard, which is harder to place into an offensive setting, even with dual screens, not sure what I'd suggest there though.

Anyways, best of luck with your team, its looking really good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)