Klefki

Hello, I agree that those sets are really great, I use Klekfi myself on basically all my OU Teams, more or less. Personally, I use him with Light Clay + Dual Screens and just T-Wave and Toxic. You might say that it sounds stupid to run both Status moves on the same pokemon, but I feel like it really suits him well, seeing as you might prefer to T-Wave a fast Pokemon before it gets the chance to set up and sweep you. And Toxic a Pokemon trying to stall you out. I really like to run Klekfi that way myself, and it really is the glue to my team. I even usually lead of with it right away. But that's just my personal way of using him. Anyways, good job! :)

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It seems there is some confusion as to how Fairy Lock works due to its in-game description. From what I'm aware, basically, Fairy Lock is Mean Look that applies to all Pokemon, including Klefki. Like Mean Look, once Klefki faints or switches, it wears off.

So no, you can't use Fairy Lock as it is about to die and then bring in something for free. Just put Foul Play in the last slot.
Here's how Fairy Lock works: Use as Klefki is going to die to the foe's attack, the foe can't switch out the following turn. I have used this set personally, and obviously ben gay has. It definitely has this effect.

Oh, and I think the general utility set should be removed. All it does is set up Spikes and para things. Spikes suck and Thundurus is better at the Prankster para role. Klefki's niche is dual screens + Fairy Lock, general utility set is not conducive to this.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Here's how Fairy Lock works: Use as Klefki is going to die to the foe's attack, the foe can't switch out the following turn. I have used this set personally, and obviously ben gay has. It definitely has this effect.

Oh, and I think the general utility set should be removed. All it does is set up Spikes and para things. Spikes suck and Thundurus is better at the Prankster para role. Klefki's niche is dual screens + Fairy Lock, general utility set is not conducive to this.
I don't mean to be a bitch, but:
Bulbapedia said:
Fairy Lock prevents all Pokémon from switching out or fleeing. The effect only applies as long as the Pokémon that used it remains in battle.
Look, I immediately believe you when you say you tested it and it worked like you say it did, but PS is not exactly known to always be accurate on the small details ^.^ (in Slurpuff's UU analysis there was an issue that lasted for a week or so, as to whether Thief would steal an item if it OHKOed an opposing Pokemon - and thus reset Unburden. In PS it didn't, but in-game it does, as anybody who's been grinding for heart scales from Luvdisc knows).

It's really late here now so I can't test it in-game, but I think I can try tomorrow (breed a lvl1 jingles and bring it to a double battle in a restaurant, use Prankster Fairy Lock, damn sure he's gonna be OHKOed turn 1, and then test if I can switch out its ally). Would that be appreciated?

Last edited:
Hold on a minute, has this been tested on an actual cartridge or just on Showdown? Because if Fairy Lock works the way TheTraininator, The Dutch Plumberjack, and Bulbapedia all say it does, then the only reason this seems good is because it's not implemented correctly on Showdown. Forgive me if this has already been tested in-game and Bulbapedia is mistaken, but I just want to make sure this is properly tested before being put onto the analysis.

No, the reason it is good is as a suicide move, as tested in game, so you use it before it kills you and the opponent is trapped but since you fainted you can bring in a new Pokemon that sets up on it.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Okay, I also just found this in the Research thread:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-mechanics-research.3489239/page-29#post-4920274

So you're right about how it works. So that means that Bulbapedia is mistaken when it says that the effect only lasts as long as the user is still in the battle. Just making sure. ^_^
Thanks man, that saves me the trouble of testing ^.^ guess Bulbapedia was wrong this time then and PS was right.
TRC Hey man, please don't hate, PS being wrong has happened in the past and if Bulbapedia mentions stuff like this, I am concerned it might have happened again. That said, it was correct after all, so nothing more to say here, carry on.

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
The thing is it was nothing to do with PS though, as it was tested ingame earlier in the thread :D
Alright, didn't/don't see that posted (explicitly), but yeah, in that case this was kind of pointless lol. Sorry for snapping, carry on :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)