Status
Not open for further replies.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########

• One of the most viable Fighting-types in RU, extreme versatility in sets
• Psychic-type STAB allows it to get past typical Fighting-type walls such as Amoonguss
• Great offensive movepool
• High base 125 Attack
• Relatively high Special Defense, making it a good Assault Vest user
• Great boosting moves in Bulk Up and Swords Dance, making it one of the best answers to stall
• Justified is a nice perk.
• Base 80 Speed isn't necessarily bad, but still middle-of-the-road, plus no priority
• Faces extreme competition from Hitmonlee, who sports a more powerful STAB, is slightly faster, and gets Rapid Spin
• Virizion and Cobalion are better at running Swords Dance and have much higher speed.
• Somewhat prone to being revenge killed due to low speed and poor physical defense

Substitute + 3 Attacks
########
name: Substitute + 3 Attacks
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Psycho Cut
move 4: Knock Off
ability: Justified
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

• Substitute protects Gallade from status, forces the switch-in to take at least one hit, and prevents Gallade from being easily revenge killed, all things Gallade normally struggles with.
• Drain Punch easily restores HP lost from Life Orb recoil + Substitutes.
• Psycho Cut is an accurate and reliable Psychic-type STAB that doesn't make contact with the opponent, helpful in the case of Druddigon or Rocky Helmet users.
• Knock Off hits Ghost-types such as Doublade and Cofagrigus and also weakens walls such as Alomomola and Gligar by removing items.
• Ice Punch is an option to threaten Gligar, who otherwise takes very little from any of Gallade's attacks.
• Poison Jab can be used if Aromatisse is a huge problem.

Set Details
========

• Max attack for maximum power, max speed allows Gallade to outspeed almost every defensive Pokemon as well as many bulky attackers. (e.g. Exploud, Tyrantrum) It also outspeeds Adamant Hitmonlee and at the worst speed ties non-scarf Braviary.
• Life Orb is the best item option, adding a necessary punch to all of Gallade's attacks, and working well with Drain Punch.
• Justified is the best ability, as Dark-type moves are far more common than flinching moves.

Usage Tips
========

• Gallade is best sent out against Pokemon it can force out, such as Amoonguss, Slowking, and Cobalion, so it can easily set up a substitute.
• Note that Substitute allows Gallade to both wallbreak and sweep.
• However, against obvious switches to Cofagrigus or Gligar, don't waste time setting up a substitute, just attack with Knock Off.
• Although it has average speed, removing powerful physical attackers like Escavalier and Doublade can actually set Gallade up for a late-game sweep due to its good Special Defense.
• Because its main move is also a form of recovery, Gallade is not often the best Pokemon to sac. If the opponent has something that can be hit for solid damage by Drain Punch, it can often give itself a "second chance" even at low health percentages.

Team Options
========

• Moltres is a great partner, easily taking out Pokemon like Cofagrigus, Doublade, Escavalier, Gligar, and Tangrowth, while checking Alomomola.
• Zangoose is another good partner. Its wallbreaking ability softens up all of the walls mentioned above.
• Gallade forces many switches, so entry hazard support is extremely welcome. Stealth Rock is near-mandatory, seeing many of Gallade's best checks (such as Braviary, Moltres, and Yanmega) are weak to it.
• On the same note, however, Spikes and Toxic Spikes can quickly wear Gallade down, especially in conjunction with Life Orb damage, so hazard removal is necessary.
• Qwilfish easily sets up Spikes against many of the physical attackers that may attempt to check Gallade, and also removes Toxic Spikes.
• Accelgor and Omastar can easily set up Spikes, while Rhyperior and Druddigon are good Stealth Rock users to pair with Gallade.
• Leavanny and Kricketune can both set up Sticky Web, allowing Gallade to outpace most of the grounded tier.

Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Drain Punch
move 2: Psycho Cut
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Ice Punch / Close Combat
item: Assault Vest
evs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

• Drain Punch allows Gallade to heal itself while attacking with a reliable and moderately powerful STAB.
• Psycho Cut is the STAB of choice due to its accuracy and reliability.
• Knock Off is useful for weakening opposing walls like Gligar and Alomomola, and hits Ghost-types like Cofagrigus.
• Ice Punch is Gallade's best option against Gligar. It also hits Braviary and Yanmega for solid damage.
• Close Combat is a more powerful Fighting-type STAB, although the defense drops are highly detrimental, so it should not be Gallade's primary attacking move.
• Rock Tomb may seem like an odd choice, but it allows Gallade to completely beat Moltres, Braviary, and Yanmega if used on the switch.
• Poison Jab lets you take out Aromatisse if it's particularly troubling.

Set Details
========

• Maximum attack allows Gallade to be a powerful tank.
• 44 Speed EVs lets Gallade outspeed minimum speed Cresselia and Gligar.
• Justified is again the ability of choice, punishing common users of Dark-type moves, particularly ones that use Dark Pulse like Clawitzer.

Usage Tips
========

• Because it has no recovery outside of Drain Punch, Gallade should be kept relatively healthy so it can safely check Pokemon like Jolteon, Heliolisk, and Exploud.
• Unless you are preparing to sac it, do not take on healthy, powerful physical attackers like Druddigon, Rhyperior, or Escavalier.
• Apart from that, Gallade is fairly straightfoward. Use prediction skills for switches as not many Pokemon can safely switch in on this Gallade set, and most can be dealt with (or at least crippled) by the right move.

Team Options
========

• Switch-ins to Flying-types like Braviary, Yanmega, Moltres, and Fletchinder are highly recommended, as all three are powerful attackers that can seriously threaten Gallade.
• Rhyperior can check Moltres and Braviary, while Registeel, Golbat, and Togetic can all check Yanmega. The former two can set up hazards while the latter two can remove them.
• On a related note, Stealth Rock hurts all three of the above attackers (and punishes the opponent trying to switch out their special attacker), so a Stealth Rock user is recommended.
• A hazard remover for Spikes and Toxic Spikes makes Gallade's lifespan significantly longer.
• Moltres is great for absorbing Will-o-Wisp as well as checking Doublade, a major threat to Gallade.
• As Gallade folds easily to physical attackers, a physical tank like Tangrowth or Rhyperior works well.
• Pokemon who function well alongside a special tank, such as Doublade or Yanmega, will appreciate Gallade's support.
• This Gallade set works best alongside bulkier teammates in general who can take hits, as Gallade can take most special hits in return.
• Gallade can also work well alongside any physical cleaner, as Gallade can wallbreak and wear down threats quite well.

Bulk Up
########
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Drain Punch
move 4: Knock Off
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
nature: Careful

Moves
========

• Bulk Up allows Gallade to simultaneously boost its Attack and Defense, making it very hard to take down.
• Substitute protects Gallade from status, and also lets Gallade take more hits with less HP.
• Drain Punch heals Gallade and is also a very reliable STAB move.
• Knock Off hits most things that Drain Punch doesn't, and helps by removing items.

Set Details
========

• 44 Speed EVs outspeeds Cresselia and Gligar, allowing Gallade to boost safely against both of them without the threat of Toxic.
• The rest is put into HP and Special Defense to make Gallade as bulky as possible on the special side, the stat it is not boosting.
• Justified is again the best ability, as the attack boost and Knock Off deterrent are far more helpful than a Fake Out deterrent.
• Leftovers allows Gallade to passively recover health.

Usage Tips
========

• Keep Gallade away from status! Fake your opponent out by double switching from a Steel-type if necessary to avoid Toxic.
• Never hesitate to set up a Substitute if you can spare the health. Critical hits and status are easily avoidable with care.
• Whirlwind and Roar are rare, but be wary if your opponent reveals them to you. Wear down their users with Knock Off or Drain Punch instead of setting up.
• Watch out for sound-based moves like Bug Buzz and Boomburst. Although Gallade's bulk means it will never be OHKO'd by either move, sacrificing health to make a Substitute may cost you dearly in the presence of these attacks as they will bypass the Substitute.
• Look out for setup fodder like Virizion and Hitmonlee. Even though this Gallade set is most effective against slower or more defensive teams, it can find ways to set up against common offensive threats like those Pokemon too.

Team Options
========

• Teammates that struggle against walls will appreciate Gallade, as many stall teams lacking Roar or Whirlwind are highly vulnerable to Gallade.
• Stealth Rock is almost a necessity, as beating Moltres, Braviary, Yanmega, and Fletchinder becomes far easier with it up.
• Lures for Moltres, Braviary, and Yanmega, such as Volt Switch Cobalion, will make it that much easier to get these troublesome attackers out of the way.
• A Pokemon to remove Toxic Spikes is absolutely required, as two layers of Toxic Spikes will almost certainly ruin Gallade. As such a grounded Poison-type such as Amoonguss, Drapion, or Skuntank is highly recommended.
• Qwilfish is great as it removes Toxic Spikes, sets its own, and cripples faster opponents with Thunder Wave.
• Banette is extremely annoying and can prevent Gallade from working, so a solid switch-in such as Moltres is recommended.
• Because Gallade takes a few turns to become powerful enough to sweep, it may falter against hyper offense teams that can overwhelm and beat it, so teammates such as Rotom-C and Scarf Delphox can easily check most offensive Pokemon.
• Alternatively, Gallade also functions well as a late-game cleaner on semistall teams.
• Encore + U-turn users such as Whimsicott and Liepard can often create free turns for Gallade to set up.

Bulky Swords Dance
########
name: Bulky Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 4: Knock Off / Ice Punch
item: Lum Berry

Moves
========

• Swords Dance gives Gallade immense power, enough to threaten even the bulkiest of walls.
• Drain Punch is a solid STAB that also heals Gallade, and doesn't have any drawbacks.
• Psycho Cut is a solid Psychic-type STAB, useful for hitting Fairy- and Poison-types.
• Knock Off has the best coverage alongside Drain Punch and Psycho Cut, and is especially helpful for getting past bulky Ghost-types.
• Ice Punch can be used in the last slot too as it allows Gallade to get past Gligar with no trouble, but at the expense of hitting Doublade, Delphox, and Cresselia.

Set Details
========

• 44 Speed EVs outspeeds Cresselia and Gligar.
• Maximum Attack to hit as hard as possible, and the rest is put in HP to aid Gallade in setting up.
• Justified is once again the best ability due to the relative ubiquity of Dark-type moves.
• Lum Berry is the best option as it lets Gallade set up against most defensive Pokemon safely.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Other Options
########

• On every set utilizing Psycho Cut, Zen Headbutt is an option for a stronger but slightly unreliable STAB.
• Gallade can run a specially defensive set utilizing moves like Wish and Will-o-Wisp to function as somewhat of a specially defensive wall or pivot.
• Choice Band and Choice Scarf can both be used to some effect, capitalizing on Gallade's great coverage and usable speed tier.
• Leaf Blade can be used to hit Alomomola hard on any set bar Bulk Up.
• Taunt + Will-o-Wisp can be used to stallbreak, but Gallade's other sets are far more effective at this. Also, it's completely stopped by Aromatisse.
• Calm Mind can be used alongside Gallade's nice special movepool, but its base 65 Special Attack is a real letdown.

Checks & Counters
########

***Flying-types:*** Braviary, Fletchinder, Moltres, and Yanmega are all major threats to Gallade by virtue of their super effective STABs, easily checking all three variants.

***Toxic Spikes / Toxic:*** With only Drain Punch as recovery, all three sets will be significantly hampered by Toxic Spikes and Toxic.

***Physical Attackers:*** Gallade's low base defense means physical attackers have an easy time checking it. Gallade is unlikely to win a 1v1 against most of them unless it has a Substitute up or several Bulk Up boosts.

***Burn:*** Gallade is basically neutered if it gets burnt, so take extra care to make sure it doesn't through switching or Substitute.

Last edited:

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
This is WIP, but:

- You say in the overview that it has no priority when it has Shadow Sneak and that's commonly seen on Gallade ?_?
- Make the Assault Vest set first, it's much better than Sub + 3 attacks in the way that you can take LO Delphox's Psyshock and easily OHKO with Knock Off, not to mention taking Moltres's Hurricane reasonably well, something you can't do as well with Sub + 3 attacks
- Virizion and Coballion are better at running SD? Elaborate on why, at the moment it's pretty vague
- Psycho Cut > Zen Headbutt. It's only 10 BP weaker, but is perfectly accurate and has a high crit rate, not to mention being able to escape Druddigon's Rough Skin
- lmfao you said hitmonlee gets rapid spin
- I'd get rid of CC if I were you on the AV set, dropping your Special Defense while using an item that boosts your Special Defense is pretty dumb. Drain Punch is good enough.
- I know you aren't there yet, but for OO, I'd mention a WoW set with Protect / Wish / Drain Punch or Night Shade / Will-O-Wisp as it was viable last gen and makes use of Gallade's good special defense.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is WIP, but:

- You say in the overview that it has no priority when it has Shadow Sneak and that's commonly seen on Gallade ?_?
Shadow Sneak is piss weak and its not worth mentioning anywhere, even. Gallade simply has no slot open for shadow sneak.

- Make the Assault Vest set first, it's much better than Sub + 3 attacks in the way that you can take LO Delphox's Psyshock and easily OHKO with Knock Off, not to mention taking Moltres's Hurricane reasonably well, something you can't do as well with Sub + 3 attacks
no. I would actually remove the AV set before making it the first. there is absolutely no need for Gallade to be taking Psyshocks and Hurricanes that it shouldn't be taking:

252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 268-320 (78.8 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I wouldn't consider that "taking it well", especially seeing as it can't really do anything back. Also:

252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 220-261 (64.7 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Same goes to that.

- lmfao you said hitmonlee gets rapid spin
It does.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Shadow Sneak is piss weak and its not worth mentioning anywhere, even. Gallade simply has no slot open for shadow sneak.
It still counts as priority, which means that the overview should be changed to reflect it does.

no. I would actually remove the AV set before making it the first. there is absolutely no need for Gallade to be taking Psyshocks and Hurricanes that it shouldn't be taking:

252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 268-320 (78.8 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I wouldn't consider that "taking it well", especially seeing as it can't really do anything back. Also:

252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 220-261 (64.7 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Same goes to that.

Oops, calced without the LO. It can take neutral nits well however, as long as it doesn't switch in directly:

252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 95-113 (27.9 - 33.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

You get the justified boost, too.

252 SpA Choice Specs Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 115-136 (33.8 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

My bad.

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
It still counts as priority, which means that the overview should be changed to reflect it does.
Yeah, no. As Arikado stated Gallade should never run Shadow Sneak. It's like saying Yanmega has priority because it has access to Quick Attack. I'm not mentioning anything competitively worthless like Shadow Sneak.

I personally think Sub + 3 Attacks is the best and most viable set, which is why I made it first. I've had experience will all three and I think the raw, immediate power it has makes it extremely threatening and is the one threatening to the broadest degree of teams (not to mention Substitute). If QC disagrees with me I'll change it.

Virizion and Coballion are better at running SD? Elaborate on why, at the moment it's pretty vague
Virizion and Cobalion are better at running Swords Dance and have much higher speed.
I'd get rid of CC if I were you on the AV set, dropping your Special Defense while using an item that boosts your Special Defense is pretty dumb. Drain Punch is good enough.
No, it's not good enough. I already talked to QC on this one and the ability to use a STAB that's almost 2x as powerful as Drain Punch gives you a lot more offensive power. Makes it much easier to get past Rhyperior and steal more health from Alomomola.

As for Psycho Cut and Zen Headbutt I think it's largely subjective. Unless someone gives me solid calcs that prove that either one is better (I haven't found any myself yet) I think it's largely a power vs. accuracy thing. The difference is so little though that I doubt it really matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things stood out to me:
  • Assault Vest should be the last set, if it has its own set. Gallade was blessed with both Bulk Up and Swords Dance, (Hitmonlee wishes it had SD), and AV takes away its ability to do either one of those. It also takes away Gallade's ability to Substitute, which isn't too good for it considering it's really one of the best sub mons in the tier.
  • IMO one of the Swords Dance sets should be mentioned. There's a bulky SD set and an offensive SD set, and although imo they aren't as good as the Bulk Up sets they aren't worth leaving out. While the tier's two Musketeers might be better at Dancing, Gallade has higher attack than both and is still a great user. Swords Dance gives Gallade a ton of power, and the solid 80 speed means it isn't slow enough to waste it like some other mons in the tier (Esca...stick with a band set next time please). Out of the two the bulky set is best, with the same evs as the Assault Vest set.
  • I know this goes against what I said about Gallade getting SD and Bulk Up, but hear me out. I think the Choice Band/Scarf sets deserve a mention in at least other options. Choice Band gives Gallade immense power immediately, without having to use a turn to set up. Choice Scarf turns Gallade into a great revenge killer, outspeeding Pokemon like Delphox (which it can hit hard with knock off and wall with its above average special defense) and other faster mons in the tier. These are different from AV in that they give Gallade either more power, which essentially makes up for taking away the ability to boost, or turns it into a revenge killer, a role it doesn't need to boost in due to the constant switching.
  • This last one is extremely niche (and I haven't actually tried it out this gen 0_0) but the specially defensive set could be mentioned in other options. Some of my friends and I tried it out last gen and it was actually pretty good, seeing as Gallade has access to two forms of recovery (Wish and Drain Punch) and status (Will-O-Wisp). It's not as prominent as the other sets but I think it should at least be recognized as existing.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Assault Vest should be the last set, if it has its own set. Gallade was blessed with both Bulk Up and Swords Dance, two moves Hitmonlee wishes it had, and AV takes away its ability to do either one of those. It also takes away Gallade's ability to Substitute, which isn't too good for it considering it's really one of the best sub mons in the tier.

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
A few things stood out to me:
  • Assault Vest should be the last set, if it has its own set. Gallade was blessed with both Bulk Up and Swords Dance, two moves Hitmonlee wishes it had, and AV takes away its ability to do either one of those. It also takes away Gallade's ability to Substitute, which isn't too good for it considering it's really one of the best sub mons in the tier.
  • IMO one of the Swords Dance sets should be mentioned. There's a bulky SD set and an offensive SD set, and although imo they aren't as good as the Bulk Up sets they aren't worth leaving out. While the tier's two Musketeers might be better at Dancing, Gallade has higher attack than both and is still a great user. Swords Dance gives Gallade a ton of power, and the solid 80 speed means it isn't slow enough to waste it like some other mons in the tier (Esca...stick with a band set next time please). Out of the two the bulky set is best, with the same evs as the Assault Vest set.
  • I know this goes against what I said about Gallade getting SD and Bulk Up, but hear me out. I think the Choice Band/Scarf sets deserve a mention in at least other options. Choice Band gives Gallade immense power immediately, without having to use a turn to set up. Choice Scarf turns Gallade into a great revenge killer, outspeeding Pokemon like Delphox (which it can hit hard with knock off and wall with its above average special defense) and other faster mons in the tier. These are different from AV in that they give Gallade either more power, which essentially makes up for taking away the ability to boost, or turns it into a revenge killer, a role it doesn't need to boost in due to the constant switching.
  • This last one is extremely niche (and I haven't actually tried it out this gen 0_0) but the specially defensive set could be mentioned in other options. Some of my friends and I tried it out last gen and it was actually pretty good, seeing as Gallade has access to two forms of recovery (Wish and Drain Punch) and status (Will-O-Wisp). It's not as prominent as the other sets but I think it should at least be recognized as existing.
Thanks for your suggestions! I agree with all of your points, and actually specially defensive was already mentioned in OO so we're all good there :). I think EonX (iirc) was advocating for a bulky SD set so I'll talk to him about that too.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wrote Gallade's analysis in BW, so I should be able to have some good input with this one:

[Overview]

- Add SD to the Bulk Up point
- Insane offensive movepool. Leads to a ton of 4MSS tho

[Substitute + 3 Attacks]

- Run Jolly. I've used this set a ton between XY and BW, and trust me, Jolly is worth it. Outpacing Adamant Lee and avoiding random Speed ties with Adamant Braviary is well worth it.
- Ice Punch in moves for Gligar. You're doing jack shit to it otherwise, even after a Knock Off
- Poison Jab in moves if you're really struggling with Aromatisse.
- In Usage Tips, mention that this Gallade can sweep or wallbreak, depending on the situation, which is what makes it so good
- Also note Qwilfish absorbs Toxic Spikes, which this Gallade absolutely cannot handle
- Accelgor and Omastar are good offensive Spikers
- Druddigon and Rhyperior are solid SR users
- Add Leavanny. You'll need it if / when Shuckle gets banned in the coming days

[Assault Vest]

- Mention Poison Jab in moves if you really need to take out Aromatisse
- Rhyperior is a great check to most Flying-types (bar Yanmega, but next to nothing checks that thing) and can set Rocks
- Mention Registeel, if only for its ability to counter Yanmega. It also sets Rocks
- Mention Togetic, if only for its ability to use Defog and counter Yanmega
- Can wallbreak, so physical cleaners are an option
- Swellow is most notable since Gallade trashes most Rocks and Steels

[Bulk Up]

- Actually uses most typical Fighting-type checks as setup fodder, so mention Hitmonlee and Virizion somewhere
- Qwilfish is a fantastic TSpikes absorber. Sets Spikes, TSpikes, and can cripple faster opponents with Thunder Wave
- Encore + U-turn users can give Gallade the chance it needs to switch-in and setup. Whimsicott and Liepard are key users of this combination thanks to Prankster giving their Encores priority

[Other Options]

- Add Choice Band and Choice Scarf. I do plan on testing these out to see if they are set worthy, but they are OO at worst
- Remove Swords Dance. The reason will become apparent soon enough.
- Add Leaf Blade for Alomomola on non-BU sets
- Taunt + Will-O-Wisp for a stallbreaker set. Has better things to be doing though
- Colorful special movepool and Calm Mind. Base 65 Special Attack is ass though

[Checks and Counters]

- Mention paralysis in the burn section. Both effectively render Gallade useuless (burn moreso)

Ok, now. Swords Dance should be a thing. I know Cobalion and Virizion exist, but Gallade has Knock Off and Psychic STAB over them. Thought this over quite a bit as to whether or not to suggest both of these or just one of them. Different playstyles require both imo, so add these as the 2nd and 3rd sets:

Bulky Swords Dance
########
name: Bulky Swords Dance
item: Lum Berry

Gallade's best set from BW and it's still pretty solid in XY. Come in on something that is scared af of you, then do what you need to do. HP EVs let you take tons of neutral special attacks and retailiate with Drain Punch / Psycho Cut. Knock Off is greatly preferred, but Ice Punch is an option if your team struggles with Gligar. Lum Berry is near necessity due to Gallade's ability to set up on defensive Pokemon. Mention Leftovers in Set Details for passive recovery. Falters a bit against HO teams that give it few setup chances as this set really needs the boost to deal serious damage, but it's amazing against bulkier teams without many faster physical attackers.

Offensive Swords Dance
########
name: Offensive Swords Dance
move 2: Close Combat
item: Lum Berry / Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Much more offensive approach. Come in, SD, tear shit up. Speed control makes this thing an absolute monster, but it's harder to set up against bulkier teams due to the lack of HP EVs. Lum is still preferred, but Life Orb can make Gallade less reliant on a boost to deal severe damage.

Add in that order. Tag me once you're done with all the changes / additions CyclicCompound, and I'll give this one another look.

Reactions: g
A couple of things that need to be changed:

1. The introduction should state that Gallade gets no useful priority rather than no priority whatsoever, whilst I do agree Shadow Sneak should not be used, it still counts.

2. The Assault Vest set should be at the end, if not last, as being unable to use Bulk Up / Swords Dance or Substitute is a massive drawback. AV Gallade is also crippled by Toxic, and has to switch out against pretty much any Physical attacker. The only advantage it has over the Sub + Bulk Up set (which I believe has about the same special bulk) is that it can run Psycho Cut and Ice Punch as additional attacking moves.

Apart from that, I agree that the Swords Dance sets deserve a mention, but I'm not sure whether it should be as an actual set, or in Other Options.

Edit: On the Sub + Bulk Up team options, list Escavalier and Cobalion as Pokemon that counter Aromatisse, as it resists both Drain Punch and Knock Off, and has a super effective STAB to hit back with.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
SoulSapphire an overview is there to sum up the advantages and disadvantages of using Gallade, and a big part of that is giving a summary of the sets. If you say that it has no prioroty, that is because it is not on any of the sets. That is what I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)