A Guide to EV Training with Hordes

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly, you shouldn't be doing EV training at all if you can't add multiples of 1/2/5/25/50... That's pretty basic maths because none of the numbers are strange. How about let's not dumb everything down to the point where people don't even use basic maths skills.

Stellar Image looks good, I'd like column names but that is personal preference. It's pretty easy to infer what that image is saying. Also: This would be super good to have on site ^__^
I know it's very basic to you and I, I've just noticed a lot of the posts on this thread are users asking exactly how many EVs they will be earning from different hordes. I agree it shouldn't be dumbed down, I thought it would be more, I dunno, user friendly? Anyway I think it looks really nice as is, good job Stellar

Stellar that´s very nice and clean so keep it that way. Its good to keep it simple and step-by-step for newcomers.
Maybe you can add the same picture with one specific Power Item.
e.g. lets say you make a spreadsheet with Power Anklet as hold item. This would explain how Power Items work very well.

the best thing would be fainting your sweet scenter, put it at the front, then put your killer at the wnd spot. rlly good. Also, can i translate this and put on hk website? for fellow hk people cause when i went to hk nintendo party lots of people went there?

Last edited:
I want to point out a bit of false information in the OP. Horde battles can activate in rain. However, they cannot be activated with Honey or Sweet Scent in the rain.

So u can click on it easier(no need to click more buttons just X-Pokémon-sweet scent)
hmm, if you want to make EV training more efficient you can just use Tropius@WideLens + SweetScent/Fly/RazorLeaf; AirCutter; Bulldoze
Even if you start on Lv 1 this will be ready to smash any Horde quite quickly. Just avoid Sturdy Pokemon. Would be worth a comment in the guide as well, Sturdy Hordes suck for EV training.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
hmm, if you want to make EV training more efficient you can just use Tropius@WideLens + SweetScent/Fly/RazorLeaf; AirCutter; Bulldoze
Even if you start on Lv 1 this will be ready to smash any Horde quite quickly. Just avoid Sturdy Pokemon. Would be worth a comment in the guide as well, Sturdy Hordes suck for EV training.
Also: Dont do a MikeAU and use Steels when Nosepass hordes could appear... You can't get away at all, so you either have to let your Steel die... Or accept the "wrong" EV's.

Also: Dont do a MikeAU and use Steels when Nosepass hordes could appear... You can't get away at all, so you either have to let your Steel die... Or accept the "wrong" EV's.
Yeah, just be mindful of the nosepass hordes! Hordes are the most efficient way of EV training, especially if your maxing two stats and putting the difference somewhere else.

It can be tricky, at times, but certainly worth the time/chalange investment. From memory, there were a few people in #OI laughing with my encounter with a PP-empty Empoleon. I think they started running out of PP before i'd even lost like 80 HP.

Ironically, I was watching American Horror Story at the time and this was said on the show: http://media2.giphy.com/media/Kx9whG0iYgyyY/giphy.gif whilst I was stuck in the horde

Lesson: Save often, then save again for good measure!

I know its a noob ? But which pokemon needs to have ppokerus
Whatever you want to EV train should be infected with PokeRus. Whether or not the 'mon you use to defeat the hordes is infected is irrelevant.

So, yeah. Only what you want to train should be infected.

The Guide looks nice!
Only the formula is a bit off since it does not make clear how training with e.g. a PowerBracer against Wingull Hordes gives 5 EV for Speed and 20 EV for Attack.
Also the list of variables suggests that you can get every boost from A, B and C, which of course is not possible but might be mistaken by newcomers.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I know its a noob ? But which pokemon needs to have ppokerus
Just infect everything. There aren't really any negative side effects to it (unless you for some reason want to increase some Pokémon's EV by 1, which wouldn't do you any good anyway), so just spread the love wherever you can. Keeping Pokérus on some "box trash" 'mons can also be handy for spreading it to other games later on.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The Guide looks nice!
Only the formula is a bit off since it does not make clear how training with e.g. a PowerBracer against Wingull Hordes gives 5 EV for Speed and 20 EV for Attack.
Also the list of variables suggests that you can get every boost from A, B and C, which of course is not possible but might be mistaken by newcomers.
I'm pretty sure it does? It says to replace A with the stat of the respective power item (they are listed). The fact that I list scenarios when the values of B and C are 1 suggests that you don't receive any sort of boost in those scenarios.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
The guide looks great!

Regarding the Nidoran hordes on Route 11, this guide implies that there are version differences in which gender is favoured (4 males and 1 female in X, and 1 male and 4 females in Y). However, I'm fairly certain that I've only ever encountered 4 male/1 female hordes in Y, and this implies that it's always 4 males/1 female regardless of version (similar to Tauros/Miltank hordes).

I just don't understand why anyone would waste time with the old convoluted method of searching for hordes that have a low chance of appearing when super training is available. But that's just me...

I just don't understand why anyone would waste time with the old convoluted method of searching for hordes that have a low chance of appearing when super training is available. But that's just me...
A little something called Sweet Scent is the answer. (Honey works too) Use it when it's not raining on that route to instantly call up a horde battle. By knowing what hordes are available where, one can use this to very quickly train a Pokemon in the desired spread. For example, 10 Carbos + 3 hordes of Wingull will very nearly max out a Pokemon's Speed stat with the help of Power Anklet and Pokerus. (that's 250 Speed EV's) That isn't to say Super Training is useless, it can help get those last few points needed to finish training a stat when the usual 252/252/4 isn't the desired spread.

Besides that, Hordes were only introduced this generation, so they're not exactly old... I'd be baffled by anyone who would want to do the old somewhat pain-staking method of seeking out the Pokemon that give the desired EV's one by one, however.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But every stat has at least one route where the pokemon for that stat is common..? Or do you mean how Hordes don't appear as often as regular battles do? Because Detective Barricade answered that. I don't understand why anyone would use Super Training instead of Horde Battles as it would take 43 sessions to get all 510 EVs (12x42=504), as apposed to 11 battles to do the same (10x50=500). The only reasons I ever do Super Training now is if I need to top off a stat (when attack is at 250), get the last 6 after maxing two stats, to get a specific number (smash out 2 trainings to get 24 etc), or to get stones in Secret Super Training. I just don't get how people still argue for ST over Hordes

But every stat has at least one route where the pokemon for that stat is common..? Or do you mean how Hordes don't appear as often as regular battles do? Because Detective Barricade answered that. I don't understand why anyone would use Super Training instead of Horde Battles as it would take 43 sessions to get all 510 EVs (12x42=504), as apposed to 11 battles to do the same (10x50=500). The only reasons I ever do Super Training now is if I need to top off a stat (when attack is at 250), get the last 6 after maxing two stats, to get a specific number (smash out 2 trainings to get 24 etc), or to get stones in Secret Super Training. I just don't get how people still argue for ST over Hordes
A little something called Sweet Scent is the answer. (Honey works too) Use it when it's not raining on that route to instantly call up a horde battle. By knowing what hordes are available where, one can use this to very quickly train a Pokemon in the desired spread. For example, 10 Carbos + 3 hordes of Wingull will very nearly max out a Pokemon's Speed stat with the help of Power Anklet and Pokerus. (that's 250 Speed EV's) That isn't to say Super Training is useless, it can help get those last few points needed to finish training a stat when the usual 252/252/4 isn't the desired spread.

Besides that, Hordes were only introduced this generation, so they're not exactly old... I'd be baffled by anyone who would want to do the old somewhat pain-staking method of seeking out the Pokemon that give the desired EV's one by one, however.
All right, I see now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)