XY OU First RMT: Charizard X > Charizard Y

Hello! This is my first RMT (and first post on this forum) so please tell me if I did something wrong with the formatting. I'll be showing my OU team. It isn't themed or based around one pokemon or move, but my MVP is Charizard X. Please tell me some of your opinions and suggestions! Thanks.

Confirmed changes are in red; I still may be testing other ones
All special attackers have 0 Att IVs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

b8 m8 (Espeon) @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Wish

Fast Bulky Dual Screener/Support
  • Dual Screens to support team, most often Charizard to set up Dragon Dance
  • Psychic to cause damage although isn't used often
  • Wish for safe switch-ins for the next pokemon; most people expect Baton Pass instead of this
  • Usually knocked out in early battle
  • Always leads
  • Magic Bounce stumps common entry hazard leads

Cereal (Alakazam) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Fast Special Sweeper
  • "What? Two pure psychic types?" Their roles are completely different. And like I said before, Espeon is usually knocked out or at very few HP within the first few turns. I've been playing this team for a while and it works.
  • Magic Guard is a blessing; immune to poison, burn, entry hazards, and Life Orb recoil
  • Great type coverage
  • Can usually 2HKO anything neutral
  • Great revenge killer with its coverage and speed

Broom (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze (Tough Claws)
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Thunder Punch

Fast Physical Sweeper

• Good base bulk + Dual Screens gives it at least one DDance chance. Tough Claws gives it a 1.33x boost for its attacks. Tough Claws plus only one DDance means it can 1HKO most pokemon that don't resist it and outspeed most other sweepers.
  • Most people expect Charizard Y over X.
  • I chose Fire Punch over Flare Blitz because the recoil from Flare Blitz is too much. It greatly decreases his longevity and makes him unable to sweep more than half of a team, something that he can do with Fire Punch.

Egg (Azumarill) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Bulky Physical Sweeper
  • Assault Vest to increase her bulk as much as possible
  • Ice Punch for covering Grass Types and common OU threats such as Flying types and Garchomp
  • Aqua Jet for priority to cover her bad speed
  • Great for switching in on Dragon Types

Boombox (Exploud) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Overheat

Bulky Special Sweeper
  • Exploud was obviously meant for Choice Specs. Although 91 base Sp. Atk isn't a lot, Boomburst has a whopping 140 base power with no recoil and 100% accuracy. Also, he can hit Ghost Types hoping to switch in with Scrappy. The only two types that resist it are Rock and Steel.
  • Ice Beam is to cover common threats like Dragon Types and others.
  • Surf covers Rock Types.
  • Overheat covers Steel Types.
  • I chose bulk over speed because even with 252 spd, it only has base 68 so most sweepers will outspeed it anyway.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Knock Off
- Roost

Physical Wall
  • Poison Heal lets him heal 12% HP each turn, and be immune to status conditions.
  • Great for switching in on Toxic users
  • Toxic to cause damage
  • Substitute to get a free turn, especially useful on switch-outs, which is common with him
  • Knock Off to cause damage and also get rid of items that many Pokemon depend upon. Earthquake is also sometimes played here so he isn't walled by Steel types.
  • Roost for recovery

Floof (Whimsicott) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Encore
- Moonblast
- Protect

Special Staller/Wall

Was replaced by Gliscor

• Leech Seed is the main way of causing damage and healing yourself.
    • Encore is to lock your opponent into a move that they won't want to use. With Prankster it's guaranteed to go first, so you can be sure of what move you're locking them in to.
    • Moonblast is just to cause extra damage.
    • Protect is to heal 18% hp and deal 12% for free as long as you have Leech Seed up.
    • She can be a little tricky to use since your opponent will be switching constantly, but she's great once you get it down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~Feel free to use the team, but please don't claim that it's yours ^-^~

Code:
b8 m8 (Espeon) @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Wish

Cereal (Alakazam) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Broom (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Thunder Punch

Egg (Azumarill) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Boombox (Exploud) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Overheat

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Knock Off
- Roost

Last edited:
Umbreon I like the more unique choice of pokemon, but you don't have a physical wall. Maybe you should replace alakazam or espeon with a physical wall. If you still want a very offensive team you can run offensive gliscor.

your team seems pretty weak to mega and choice band scizor which can OHKO half your team. I would change the charizard set to a bulky one take out thunder punch in favor of roost and take some EVS form speed and put them into HP. And i would replace either whimisicott for somthing with more bulk like venusaur. Maybe espeon too because psychic isn't really the best type alot of pokemon run knock off and pursuit. to still keep hazards off your side you can replace it with zapdos which can remove hazards with defog, and it gives you more move coverage with thunderbolt and heat wave which will help get rid of scizor for you. Hope this helps

Choice Band Talonflame is also a big threat to this team. I agree with the addition of physically defensive gliscor over perhaps whimsicott, as lilSpikey has said

Nice team! I would suggest changing the 4 evs on Charizard from Hp to Spdef to maintain an odd amount of Hp, so you take less damage from stealth rocks. I suggest changing Psychic to Psyshock on Alakazam, to deal with special walls such as AV Conkeldurr and Chansey. Also others suggested, Whimsicott could be replaced with the equally annoying physically defensive Gliscor, whose set can be found here http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/completed-gliscor.3490960/.

Last edited:
Focus Blast or Ice Beam over Extrasensory on Exploud. Boomburst gets STAB, giving it effectively 210 Base Power. A super-effective Extrasensory has effectively 160 Base Power. The only times Extrasensory would deal more damage is when there's a 4x difference. This would only happen with Terrakion (outspeeds and OHKO you), Toxicroak (extremely rare, but still outspeeds/OHKO you), and perhaps some other obscure 'mons. All you really need are moves to cover for types that resist Normal. You should just be spamming Boomburst most of the time, but Focus Blast will cover some occasional threats like Tyranitar. Ice Beam is another situational option to hit Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, and Landorus-I/T, but that's about it.

Overheat over Flamethrower on Exploud because you are Specs, so you will probably be switching in and out a lot. 2 Overheats also deals more damage than 2 Flamethrowers.

Statistically, Charizard X is slightly more common than Charizard Y, and ZardX is much more dangerous than ZardY. See the usage stats (for June). Baton pass chains are also banned, so most people are expecting dual screens or CM Espeon.

U-Turn or Stun Spore over Protect on Whimsicott. Encore easily forces switches, and you can U-Turn out to switch to the appropriate check/counter. Or if they stay in Encoring a harmless move, you can set up DD on ZardX for a sweep. Stun Spore gets priority from Prankster, so you can cripple of a lot of faster threats. This also supports Exploud and Azumarill by allowing them to outspeed a lot of enemies.

Baton Pass over Psychic on Espeon. As you said, Psychic isn't used much, and Baton Pass lets you bring in an appropriate check/counter and/or pass a Wish with switch initiative. As Espeon is usually the first to die, it doesn't really need an attacking move. Baton Pass also lets you escape Tyranitar/Bisharp's Pursuit.

Also, run 0 Atk IVs on your special attackers to minimize Foul Play and confusion damage (Espeon, Alakazam, Exploud).

Not much I have to say, most of them has been covered up in the posts above. Still got some points though:

-Your team lacks a good revenge killer for boosted threats. Replace Life Orb on Alakazam with Focus Sash, and Hidden Power Ice over Energy ball. This ensures that Alakazam needs to be hit at least twice before dying, preventing him from being OHKO by priority Shadow Sneak & Sucker Punch. HP Ice is also extremely effective against Dragons on the whole and OHKO's Landorus-T, things you'd be wanting to revenge kill a lot.

-Replace Surf on Exploud with Thunderbolt. Overheat/Flamethrower and Ice Beam already has SE coverage against the OU mons Surf is SE to, such as Excadrill and Landorus. Thunderbolt allows you to hit Azumarill and Blastoise, but on the whole it's not too much of an issue.

-Your team is in great need of a physical wall. I suggest Ferrothorn as it can also help set up entry hazards (something Charizard X and Exploud greatly appreciates) as even Espeon's Magic Bounce cannot be relied all the time since as you have said, it's going to die early on anyways. It is extremely susceptible to Talonflame however, and like what the above posters said, physical defensive Gliscor is an equally good option.

-EV issues. Your Charizard's 4HP EVs should go into Def. This allows him unevolved to switch into Stealth Rock 3 times instead of 2, and allows him as Charizard X to switch into Stealth Rock 5 times instead of 4. This is because all uninvested HP stats are an odd number and since percentage damage gets rounded off, Stealth Rock which normally does 50% damage to a Charizard with an even HP stat will only do 49% damage to a Charizard with an odd HP stat. On a less important note, you might want to invest Alakazam's 4HP on EV into SpD to take

-You might also want to consider Superpower over Waterfall on Azumarill. It turns him into an extremely reliable Bisharp and Tyranitar check, as well as being able to hit Ferrothorn hard. Ice Punch is effective against flying types such as Tornadus, Thundurus and Zapdos but you may also want to consider Knock Off to punish switch ins.

-Based on the text, it seems like you're using Charizard X as a set up sweeper early on once Espeon's set up barriers. It's extremely advisable not to. He functions best as a late game sweeper once it's checks and counters such as Heatran, Landorus-T, Azumarill have been taken out. It can also be easily walled by Quagsire and Clefable, to name a couple. A Prankster Thunder Wave from Thundurus will immediately ground your sweeping to a halt. You should also save Espeon for times when you think the enemy is going to SR/Spikes/Status and you can Magic Bounce back at them.

So yeah, that's everything I can think of from the top of my head. Overall, it doesn't look half bad and has good potential.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)