Spelling and Grammar Standards

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think we need to add a clause in here that standardizes whether "spam" or "spamming" are acceptable. I've been encountering these words often enough that I think it warrants inclusion into the ruleset. I personally do not think these words are necessary or professional, but I do not feel strongly enough to argue if other members deem them acceptable.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
IMO it's totally fine; something like "Scizor's U-turn is a very spammable move" seems OK to me cause that's the truth. Maybe it's not totally professional, but we're a Pokemon website. We've got to blend game terms and professionalism.

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
IMO it's totally fine; something like "Scizor's U-turn is a very spammable move" seems OK to me cause that's the truth. Maybe it's not totally professional, but we're a Pokemon website. We've got to blend game terms and professionalism.
Fine with me. Can we add that to the OP?

In the introduction of this thread:

'This thread is so that users can both discuss the standards and refer to them easily within our forums.'

'This thread is so that users can both discuss the standards and refer to them easily within our forums.' This sentence just sounds off to me. I understandd that this may be spoken in informal discourse, but I think it can be rephrased into something which sounds a little less informal.

I suggest something like:

'The purpose of this thread is for users to discuss the standards* and refer to them easily within our forums.'

I would also elaborate further on these 'standards'. What standards are they? Grammatical standards? Orthographical standards?

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sure I guess

BTW I get tagged when anybody posts here, so no need for the manual tags ~_~

And yeah....like the title is Spelling and Grammar Standards

GatoDelFuego

I've seen some things a bit recently: "Early to mid-game". Now, we're standardized to say "early-game" and "mid-game". Also, it would seem proper to say "early-to-mid" on its own. However, "early-to-mid-game" is just so messy. To remedy this, I've been saying "early- and mid-game" or something like that; I recommend everyone follow suit.

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
When GPing Meowstic Male, I decided to make the standard format for it Meowstic-M after it was decided on IRC that Meowstic-Male wouldn't work. My GP can be seen in this post. If people would like to suggest a different convention, that's fine too. I will tag the owner of the analysis, Psywaves, so that he can see if there are any changes to this as well.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Does the term "max [stat]" imply both maximum EVs and a positive nature or just the EVs? I've seen it both ways.

RockRocks

Banned deucer.
I have come across a few mistakes like this: "Poliwrath should try and avoid using Rest if possible, as Sleep Talk can be a bit unreliable."
"Try and avoid." That would mean that you should try to use Rest AND avoid using Rest, which is obviously wrong. The correct phrase would be "try to avoid using Rest" or even just "Poliwrath should avoid using Rest."

GatoDelFuego if you could add a bullet about that in the OP that would be great

GatoDelFuego

I've always been kind of iffy putting grammar things in that have never been really...associated with Pokemon? I get that it's incorrect, but I couldn't really think of a good place to include it. Using "and" in that case is just plain wrong, but it's not something I'd expect to come up very frequently. There's lots of grammar rules we don't have included here, but are just...rules. If anybody else wants to comment, please do.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've always been kind of iffy putting grammar things in that have never been really...associated with Pokemon? I get that it's incorrect, but I couldn't really think of a good place to include it. Using "and" in that case is just plain wrong, but it's not something I'd expect to come up very frequently. There's lots of grammar rules we don't have included here, but are just...rules. If anybody else wants to comment, please do.
Yeah this list isn't for regular grammar rules. This list is supposed to be a Pokemon-related add-on to the regular grammar rules of the English language, where the "try to..." rule really applies to.

GatoDelFuego

SubCM is an incredibly prominent phrase on Smogon, but physically speaking we only use Substitute + Bulk Up. We decided to use the abbreviated, + form a while back, but does this apply to SubCM, considering there's no "and"? I'd hope not tbh, this goes back years and years

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd keep "SubCM" and "Substitute + Bulk Up" the way they are. SubCM is a phrase that's been around for a very long time, whereas the strategy of Substitute + Bulk Up is neither as established nor as popular to this day in comparison to SubCM. Plus, we can't shrink Substitute + BU because that would turn into SubBU and that just looks wrong lol

What's the policy on the term IV (e.g. "0 Speed IVs" versus "a Speed IV of 0")?

I've been using the latter. I think it's preferable because I don't see IVs as an amount of something, but rather as values. (It's like saying "0 individual values" versus "an individual value of 0")

Also, can "status" be used as a verb?

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

As far as I can tell, status can be a verb.

I'm really not sure on the IVs thing. We've always done "0 Speed IVs", but what you say does make a good point.

Reactions: Muk
I've had every instance of just "hazards" changed to "entry hazards" in checks to analyses I've written, so I've been doing the same in my own checks. Should I keep doing this?

GatoDelFuego

I usually stick to a once-per-paragraph routine, as most analyses don't use it that often. Oglemi recommends just "the first use" be "entry hazards", so if it's being used a lot in one paragraph I don't edit then all

Reactions: Muk
Set names are only capitalized in set titles, never in set comments (If Arcanine is a specially defensive variant, it isn't OHKOed by Milotic's Surf). "Extreme Killer" and "Extreme Killer Arceus" are the only exceptions.

"Stalltwo" should be added as an exception, IMO. "Defensive Mewtwo" doesn't really fit well.

GatoDelFuego

Is it a 100% widely used phenomenon? Extreme Killer has been used over three generations now, and it's extremely well-known. Not saying this shouldn't be added, I just want to make sure it's "good enough" as I don't follow ubers that well.

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
Something that right now is so arbitrary that every analysis I check does it differently is whether or not something like "158 Special Attack EVs" is singular or plural. I have seen both (examples to follow).

158 Special Attack EVs is enough to OHKO Calm Caterpie with Focus Blast. (Here it is stipulated that the "# stat EVs" is a singular standalone subject, which could make sense - just replace it with "This" or "This condition of being" or "This state of existence" or whatever)

158 Special Attack EVs are enough to OHKO Calm Weedle with Water Pulse. (Here, it is assumed that the "stat EV(s)" is the subject, and the number 158 is a modifier that pluralizes it, which could also make sense - just replace with "These")

I think both are "okay" personally, and up until this point, as long as the writer is consistent throughout the analysis, I left them alone, but I think it would be good to go ahead and standardize this and say that "# stat EVs" is either singular or plural in every situation. I don't care which, I just think we should pick one and roll with it. I'm inclined to say the second one is "more correct", but again I don't really care which one we choose.

What do you guys think? (Also sorry if this has been brought up before, I didn't go through the whole thread).

GatoDelFuego

Added the bit of EVs and made the wording of set names more free. This can include things like Crocune and Britscor and such in its interpretation, too. But Oglemi what do you think of IVs as singular and plural? Muk did make a good point of it, and it seems to work ok as singular, but the precedent is to use plural.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)