Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

About the back of the neck, I think you should adjust the perspective of the top yellow seeds. It probably should be curving slightly to the right since that is the direction the back is going. If you do this, the red strip would fall right into place. Also, for the back sprite, the tail outline should match up with the tail outline on the red tip. It shouldnt look broken like that.

TrainerSplash QC means quality check. The more you know :]
I'll attempt to fix the seeds, but can you elaborate a bit more on the tail? I don't really get it, sorry.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You see the tail lines that go through the middle of his bushy tail right? Well towards the tip where it connects to the red tip that outline breaks. If you fix that to not be broken, it would look better. Just look at the front sprite. The tail lines does not break there. Does it make sense now?

You see the tail lines that go through the middle of his bushy tail right? Well towards the tip where it connects to the red tip that outline breaks. If you fix that to not be broken, it would look better. Just look at the front sprite. The tail lines does not break there. Does it make sense now?
Yeah, I see now. Thanks! I'll be updating the sprites in this post later.

UPDATE:

I hope I've fixed the main issues: Seed placement and tail outline. The tail bush got reworked a bit by the tip to make it more flowing, additionally.

Tschüss!

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
ehhh... The top seeds still look kinda off. Have you tried flipping it horizontally and seeing how it might look that way?

Sorry to break away from the Mega Sceptile QC, but I just thought we needed to talk about somebody who was in major need of updating.

Here is my version of Litleo, both his regular and shiny form. If it looks familiar, that's because I posted a version similar to this a while back on the forum. As somewhat of a bonus, I've made two separate versions of his front sprite; one with his mouth closed, and one with it open. I figured that for a rare animation, Litleo could open his mouth. Let me know what you guys think.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Lileo looks pretty great. I like the one with it's mouth closed better. but if as a rare animation I'm fine with it opening and closing. My only real problem on the mouth one is that the shape of the mouth looks awkward

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Sure, Jacup101. I don't understand why you want to remove this when Pangoro is pretty much done though.
As a birthday gift to myself. I will be making more edits to the sprites on my new laptop if that's gonna happen.
IDK if I'll update a lot though, but I'll try.

Sure, Jacup101. I don't understand why you want to remove this when Pangoro is pretty much done though.
There is no need to remove it at all - Pangoro is and has been 'done' as a single sprite for most of the duration of the project.

From what I can see, the request has no relevance to the project, so I implore you, Jacup, to try and have a go yourself. It sounds harsh, I'm aware, but focus is needed in the right areas with ORAS on the horizon with, if what I've heard is true, more mega evolutions on the horizon (rumours are claiming Mega Camerupt and Sharpedo but nothing concrete just yet).

New________Old________

Barbaracle, now with 50% more noodle arm.

-Front and back now have darker claw outlines. Thanks for the tip, Speed-X +)
-Rocks cleaned up and highlights added.
-Completely rescratched the left arms, right arms cleaned up in general.
-Everything else was basically just applying the stuff I mentioned on the Frontsprite's post to the backsprite.

The left arm was a bit of a hassle, as perspective would make it look a tad weird no matter how I posed it. So I decided to break the pose continuity a bit for the backsprite and put it in a more neutral position. It's the only thing at this point that I'm really concerned about, so if anyone has any advice for that arm, that'd be great. If you like it as is, feel free to say as much. +)

Other advice is appreciated as always.

Jacup101 tbh all you have to do to get rid of the colors is open it in any paint program and use the eraser tool. Not much to it, and you can probably find it without colors in the corner on the Smogon XY Sprite Generator.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
fixing minor issue

This is a reminder that princessofmusic and I need to talk about this one again :d

Anyways I won't accept this Litleo because I have a problem with its proportion, colours, and eyes. Head is way too big for the rest of that poor body.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
New________Old________

Barbaracle, now with 50% more noodle arm.

-Front and back now have darker claw outlines. Thanks for the tip, Speed-X +)
-Rocks cleaned up and highlights added.
-Completely rescratched the left arms, right arms cleaned up in general.
-Everything else was basically just applying the stuff I mentioned on the Frontsprite's post to the backsprite.

The left arm was a bit of a hassle, as perspective would make it look a tad weird no matter how I posed it. So I decided to break the pose continuity a bit for the backsprite and put it in a more neutral position. It's the only thing at this point that I'm really concerned about, so if anyone has any advice for that arm, that'd be great. If you like it as is, feel free to say as much. +)
Good job. Making the hands more noodle like as it solves the problem of how stiff his arms were before. I say we are almost done with this guy and is ready to animate, but I'm no expert at all so don't take my word. However one thing I could say is that the two binicles on it's shoulders look odd on the back sprite, but that could very well just the angle.

Anyways I won't accept this Litleo because I have a problem with its proportion, colours, and eyes. Head is way too big for the rest of that poor body.
I have to agree with this, the body should be larger. Somewith the eyes look odd. However I don't understand what Layell is saying with the colors, as they look fine to me. Unless you mean the shiny one.

I tried updating Litleo according to Layell's critique, primarily with Litleo's proportions.

I extended Litleo's body out to try and compensate for the size of his head, and added an extra foot (since the previous size would not allow for that). To ensure that Litleo's proportions were alright, I included Shinx as a reference, as both have very similar builds, with Litleo being slightly bigger than Shinx.

I've also included an alternate palette, based on the current sprite (I believe this is the current sprite. Someone correct me if I'm wrong; this is the one on Google Docs) Litleo has. I only changed the fur color, though I could also change Litleo's orange and tan colors to the ones in the original sprite if Layell wants.

The only thing I've really left the same, for the time being, are the eyes. Personally, I feel that Litleo's eyes fit perfectly. Litleo is supposed have, for lack of a better term, a derp-like expression, and these eyes perfectly capture that.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also PSA I have major colour edits to make with Mega Sceptile, don't touch it until I say so. If someone could also tell me everyone who helped with that one so far I'd appreciate it.

Also PSA I have major colour edits to make with Mega Sceptile, don't touch it until I say so. If someone could also tell me everyone who helped with that one so far I'd appreciate it.
Mega Sceptile's back was originally done by TrainerSplash, and the head, arms, legs, and tail were contributed and continuously edited by Kyuzeth and me. Arhops also helped to edit the back stripe some.

As a start, Mega Sableye is looking good. But I feel like his head is going to need a custom sprite instead of just a recolor.

Mega Sableye tilts his head while looking the same direction as the ruby. Additionally, the ruby should be facing more towards the opponent and less away from them, as he's using it as a shield.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
As I've said before I've never been particularly concerned about copying the exact movements of the XY models (since pokemon in BW compared to XY don't move the same). I would argue a titled head is much more obnoxious in a static sprite because it is difficult to make level. This can also be something done with the animation, and we'd be better off with that. Remember the BW default poses are relatively neutral for this reason.

Also with your gem: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-3-sprite-submissions.3467075/page-2#post-4244703
(how many times I link this post :d )

True, it doesn't have to be exact, though I've seen people pull off Mega Sableye matching the look more precisely. Specifically here and here. These sprites would probably be nice to steal reference while composing Mega Sableye's sprite.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I'm in different on making a new head.
As for the gem I agree that I did a terrible job at making it, also in reply to Layell's link: I know not to do for the brown gem. However I didn't color it black as I needed it for reference. In the trailer and snap shots the giant gem seems to be transparent. So I plan to do something with that which is why I kept it unfinished. But I'll try to fix that if that shouldn't be done.

Also please not that I am on a different version of MS Pain when I created this so it won't look as good. I'll try to stream my new sableye as I fix certain areas.

Edit: Should I edit the chart for updated sprite of Mega Metagross, and Mega Sceptile. Along with adding name to the "Original Spriter" section for Mega Sceptile?

Last edited:
Going back to an earlier topic about the Litleo sprite (before it becomes forgotten), is the Litleo sprite more suitable to your liking, Layell? Or should it be edited further?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Going back to an earlier topic about the Litleo sprite (before it becomes forgotten), is the Litleo sprite more suitable to your liking, Layell? Or should it be edited further?
Nope.

It should also be mentioned I hate the critter, and prefer the current one because it doesn't look like its eyes are staring into my soul. It's something I'm really leaving up with princessofmusic, and we sometimes just prioritize certain mons. But I'm sure when she gets back (1 more week ;_;) we will discuss every page in detail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)