Gen 6 Simple Questions, Simple Answers (XY Ubers Edition - read before posting a thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
EDIT: Snip.

(isn't it just my luck that in the time between checking the battle spot forum and posting, they've gone and added a thread for the competition. I've snipped my post here and I'm posting it there. Sorry to bother you guys! :P)

Last edited:
I was looking on the XY Uber Viability Rank and my question which is the advantage of Blissey over Chansey in Ubers?
(since in OU is viceversa the situation)

What are the pros and cons of running Shadow Force over Shadow Claw on E-Killer? Is there any realistic downside to running Shadow Force, given there are only 3 normal types seen in the tier, all of whom take massive damage from +2 Espeed (and two of whom are OHKOd after SR damage)?

What are the pros and cons of running Shadow Force over Shadow Claw on E-Killer? Is there any realistic downside to running Shadow Force, given there are only 3 normal types seen in the tier, all of whom take massive damage from +2 Espeed (and two of whom are OHKOd after SR damage)?
Using Shadow Force does give you more power (and allows you to hit both Giratina forms harder, as well as Aegislash through King's Shield), but it is much more easily played around and struggles against teams with Ghost and Normal type pokemon. If your set is Swords Dance/Extremespeed/Shadow Force/Earthquake, and your opponent has Giratina-O and any Normal type, you're completely and totally walled. There are teams on which Shadow Force is better, but I think in general Shadow Claw is preferred. You may not hit Giratinas as hard, but that's why you don't try to sweep with E-Killer while they're still around.

Using Shadow Force does give you more power (and allows you to hit both Giratina forms harder, as well as Aegislash through King's Shield), but it is much more easily played around and struggles against teams with Ghost and Normal type pokemon. If your set is Swords Dance/Extremespeed/Shadow Force/Earthquake, and your opponent has Giratina-O and any Normal type, you're completely and totally walled. There are teams on which Shadow Force is better, but I think in general Shadow Claw is preferred. You may not hit Giratinas as hard, but that's why you don't try to sweep with E-Killer while they're still around.
Fair enough, good points. Thanks.

Which move could xern run to get past primal groudon? (fire/ground).

How does mega venusaur do in ubers?
Well if we talk about Xerneas's current movepool the most viable option it could hit Primal Groudon with would be Focus Blast. Anything else would be A) too gimmicky or B) too weak (I'm assuming Groudon will get some small form of buff to its SpD) Even if it gets no buff to its SpD then Xerneas still can't OHKO a max HP set with Focus Blast at +2 so its a very solid check on paper.
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 316-372 (78.2 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
However if ORAS comes with move tutors then who knows what Xerneas might be blessed with.
Mega Venusaur isn't what I'd call viable: most things it could check have some ways around it and the fact it takes up your mega slot AND has rather meh bulk pre-mega (by ubers standards) leaves it a sub par option for most ubers teams.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is Mega Mawile decent in Ubers? I've seen good players use it and advocate others use it, but it was rejected for an analysis and for a spot in the viability thread.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Aragorn the King:
The analysis was rejected on a shaky basis in my opinion, and the analysis itself had a very sub-par spread to begin with. The problem Mawile has is that it has terrible bulk before it Mega Evolves, making it a priority to Mega Evolve by bringing it in on a favorable Double Switch, or in for free after one of its partners has fainted. Even with minimal Attack investment though, it is still the hardest hitting Xerneas and Yveltal check there is and its Sucker Punch allows it to check many things with a bit of prior damage. The only problems is faces after Mega Evolving are a lack of recovery and Steel-types not named Klefki (this gets owned by Iron Head). Everything else that can take its STABs can either be punished on the switch by Toxic, is threatened by a +2 Sucker Punch, is worn down by repeated switch ins, or can be dealt with in some other manner. I personally would like to see it retested since it does well in my experience. I think it could reach C- rank at the very least.
Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SDef
Adamant nature
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance / Toxic

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Aragorn the King:
The analysis was rejected on a shaky basis in my opinion, and the analysis itself had a very sub-par spread to begin with. The problem Mawile has is that it has terrible bulk before it Mega Evolves, making it a priority to Mega Evolve by bringing it in on a favorable Double Switch, or in for free after one of its partners has fainted. Even with minimal Attack investment though, it is still the hardest hitting Xerneas and Yveltal check there is and its Sucker Punch allows it to check many things with a bit of prior damage. The only problems is faces after Mega Evolving are a lack of recovery and Steel-types not named Klefki (this gets owned by Iron Head). Everything else that can take its STABs can either be punished on the switch by Toxic, is threatened by a +2 Sucker Punch, is worn down by repeated switch ins, or can be dealt with in some other manner. I personally would like to see it retested since it does well in my experience. I think it could reach C- rank at the very least.
Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SDef
Adamant nature
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance / Toxic
It also has Fire Punch for Steel types, but idk if it can fit it in in Ubers. Iron Head seems mandatory, because Mawile can't otherwise beat non-HP Fire Xerneas.

Interesting reasoning; I'd like to see it get brought up in both places again. I know/think Edgar likes it, as it's in his Teambuilding Compendium, but in other places I just saw it get rejected. Thanks! :)

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
If Shadow Tag ends up getting banned, will that stop it from being used in OU? LC?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Although, the rationale behind banning shadow tag in Ubers (uncompetitive because it prevents switching) could be applied to any tier.
True, however Gothitelle and Wobbufett are very balanced in OU and Gothita and Wynaut are very balanced in LC, do I doubt it would happen anywhere else.

True, however Gothitelle and Wobbufett are very balanced in OU and Gothita and Wynaut are very balanced in LC, do I doubt it would happen anywhere else.
I'm not saying I think they should be banned, I'm just saying people might try to use the "uncompetitive" rationale behind banning shadow tag in Ubers to support a blanket ban of the ability in another tier, since the ability works the same.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Other tiers operate independently from Ubers. If Shadow Tag is banned here that has no effect on other tiers, however if it is broken / uncompetitive in other tiers as well they may also have a suspect for it at some point. Who cares about other tiers this is Ubers, next question please.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Thunder

Would this set benefit more from the remaining 112 EVs in HP or Defense?

Is there any particular reason Ubers hasn't suspected/banned minimize? It seems the very definition of "uncompetitive"...

I mean, if Ubers can ban swagger, and it can ban Moody (one of the reasons for which was because you could stall for an evasion ban...whereas minimize gives it to you immediately), what differentiates minimize both from swagger and Moody as well as from minimize in OU? I know Ubers is not OU and Ubers doesn't have to do what OU does, but I'm just saying in terms of following the same logic they used.

(And yes, I'm coming off an irritating loss to a minimize BP team.)

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is there any particular reason Ubers hasn't suspected/banned minimize? It seems the very definition of "uncompetitive"...

(And yes, I'm coming off an irritating loss to a minimize BP team.)
We may reexamine Evasion after the Gengarite/STAG tests, but nothing is set in stone yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)