Battle of Legends

Holy moly, enough with the connection errors, game. I've had more erros than actual games played today.

...given I only played 2 so far as of making this post but still!

Team building for this competition was an adventure, but I think I made a solid team for this. Time will tell.
Either I get disconnected or outright kicked off Battle Spot. Finally getting into my 2nd battle now.

And now 2-0.

...I disconnected even though I had a perfectly stable Internet connection and ended up with a loss. Oh well 2-1 for now :)

EDIT: For today, 7-3. Not bad, I thought I'd do way worse. One loss was a bad mis prediction on my part and thus I lost my answer to Ferrothorn that battle. How did you all do? :)

Last edited:
After many disconnections, I finish Day 1 at 7-3. Scarfed Kyogre is doing most of the work for me and no surprise why. Funny that no one sees Fake Out/Wide Guard Hariyama coming. After Kyogre he's been my MVP.

My 3 losses went 3 different ways: lost cleanly on the 1st loss, bad play by me resulted in my 2nd loss, really bad hax for the 3rd.

I've only seen one Darkrai, and that one didn't have a hold item. Kinda surprised, but not really since it's rather hard to obtain in-game. Putting Protect on my Arceus has served me well, even though I sacrifice a coverage move for it.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
aw fuck it's only 10 battles per day

Well I ended up finishing the day 9-1 with one particularly good battle: R4NG-WWWW-WWW8-Z8FA
Why Mat Block is bad, why Scarf Lando-T with Knock Off is good, and why I should have brought Palkia instead of Absol. I ended up winning the match. My only loss was due to terrible play on my part and the rest weren't that notable, so I don't have videos of those.

Day 1 with 7-3. Not bad, though I should've kept Klefki instead of Thundurus because although it has the nice electric STAB and priority taunt, it is rather frail. The three losses were from hax, misplays, and stun (Darkrai with Scarf/Mental Herb and Unnerve anyone?)

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I finished my set for today with 8-1, and one DC. I don't think the DC was my fault, as I wasn't kicked out of battle spot and didn't have to reconnect to the internet (and it happened "conveniently" after I took down the other guy's arceus, lol), but it didn't show up on my win/loss ratio, and I can't do another match (so I only got to do 9 and 1/2 today).

Sorry if this is a noob question, but how does that DC count? Because it looks like it doesn't, as of right now.

My first three matches were garbage: the only pokemon on my side to faint (for those 3 matches) went down to *guillotine* from crawdaunt. Two of them, my opponent only bothered to put an item on their mega. Anyways, I don't think I'll get as many wins tomorrow (since I'm pretty average as a battler), but I'll do my best, lol. :)

15-5. I'm in mad nerd mode because I suffered at least 2 losses I should not have because I played poorly. |:

I am also quickly regretting only having 1 water resist on my team.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Finished my first day with 6-4, which is disappointing. Two of those matches went away due to really badly timed crits (through screens - just my luck I guess :( ), but I'm beginning to feel like my lineup has some fairly distinct holes...

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
After a long hiatus from Pokemon and not playing Doubles for like 3 years, I saw this tournament pop up on Serebii so I'd give it a shot. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time (I found it like the day before the competition lol) to think of a team and the only things I found from reading Japanese blogs are Uber tier lists (which I guess did help a bit). So I decided to make up some trash tier team with whatever knowledge i have left about doubles and Ubers. Immediately upon my first match I ran into things that gave my team trouble. Oh and I also then lost to a crit earth power from special zekrom some time later (._.). However, the tournament has appeared to have gone progressively easier as the time passed. I wonder if matchmaking is working properly...

Finished 8-2 yesterday (after starting 1-2), and 10-0 today, sitting at somewhere in the low 1700s now. There is no way on earth my team deserved those scores, but I'll take it. Surprisingly, I've only ran into one Darkrai this entire time. I've yet to see a Groudon. Outside of Arceus there were a ton of Xerneases and Mewtwos (which makes sense I guess, as they are the most accessible. No Yveltals yet though)

Wow I am the luckiest player ever... I should not have won this battle because I let a Lugia get to +2. 13-3 right now, and I've seen a couple of Yveltal and a few Darkrai, but oddly no Palkia... I also see the same Wide Guard and Quick Guard strategies all over the place.

EDIT: 4 HP Arceus can survive Life Orb Kyurem-White's Draco Meteor with about 10-15% health to spare. Couldn't do the calcs as it happened, but I'm super glad I lived it.

Battle I shouldn't have won: BP8W-WWWW-WWW8-ZHP4

I went 6-4 on Day 2. Ranking is somewhere in the high 1500s. Probably the best ranking I've ever had. Stiff competition at this level though.

Need an effective way to deal with Xerneas. :(

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
I feel like I overprepared for Xerneas. I'm running Mega Venusaur and Klefki, for starters, and I have E-Killer and Mega Mewtwo Y to bop it with Extreme Speed and Psystrike respectively. GeoXern is so weak to paralysis it's actually kinda funny - I had a battle a little while ago where I faced GeoXern + Transform Mew (uh-huh, two GeoXerns at once) and still came out on top... Mega Venusaur is just incredible :3

Anyways, I came out of today with 13-7, which I'm quite pleased with. I hope tomorrow goes well...

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I had to take a break after my last battle (which, truly, I lost the night before the comp, when I forgot to SAVE after I ability capped + pp maxed my hitmontop). I'll edit to post my final tally after I finish the rest of my battles this evening.

Lol, I guess this is why I'm just an average battler.
6JRG-WWWW-WWW8-ZSTW

Can't have you guys thinking I'm a total loser, so I'll post a couple of wins too.
BM5W-WWWW-WWW8-ZT2W - Mega Mewtwo X???
QWPW-WWWW-WWW8-ZTXW - Why you don't use outrage in doubles

ethan06 I hope I don't face you in comp, lol, as geo!xern is the linchpin of my team. Ended up dedicating 3 team slots (xern + 2 supporters) to make it work.

Last edited:

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Rough day today and went 4-6, with a final record of 22-8. Max rating of 1726, current rating prob ~1690. Personally I'm glad that I didn't end up <50%!

Was a pretty enjoyable tournament (except for the whole battle box locking part), and also my first battle competition. Hoping to see more Ubers action in the future!

Well, I did all 30 of the battles for this tournament and got owned on the third day, mostly by Japanese players. Not really sure what my record was but it was probably 22-8 or something in the end. In fact, my rating is pretty similar to Jibaku's except I never broke 1700.

I made alot of dumb mistakes like not knowing what ghost arceus looks like and wasting a turn. Also got unlucky like never waking up after Darkrai dark voided. Well for those who havent played their games yet, there are alot of ghost arceus in high 1600s. Ghost Arceus was the most common pokemon I remember from today

I am going to edit this post with some replays after I look to see if any were that interesting. For those who care this was my team:

Last edited:

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
flash I would like to display my team like that. How did you get that screencap? Where on the pgl does it display it like that for you? Thanks! :)

So, I woke up early to finish the matches I missed yesterday, as well as today's matches. My final tally was 19-11, and my last recorded rating was 1,589 (peak was 1,624), which was about where I expected to be at the end of the competition. I really hope my final ranking will be 1600+, since I won my last match.

I had a lot of fun, and I really feel like a built a solid team that was competitive in this metagame, though I still have lots of room to grow as a battler, lol. Hopefully I'll do even better in the next competition. :)

EDIT: I know that my hitmontop was sub-optimal: I forgot to save after I used an ability capsule (and pp max) on it the night before the comp.

My team:

Attachments

Last edited:
flash I would like to display my team like that. How did you get that screencap? Where on the pgl does it display it like that for you?
Your computer should have a print screen button. I basically just did that, cropped so it only showed my team, and uploaded it on an image sharing website.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Your computer should have a print screen button. I basically just did that, cropped so it only showed my team, and uploaded it on an image sharing website.
No, sorry, I was unclear. :) I know how to make a screencap.

I've looked, but I just haven't found where on PGL it lists my team. -.-

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Okay, so I was busy all day and I couldn't put aside much time for battles so I decided not to risk my rating and just stop at 20 :/ Final score is 13-7, I'm sure I did fine lol.

EDIT: Here is my lineup (I've posted it here like three times now but this one has items and moves!):

Props go to Ludicolo, mostly. It was basically unbreakable under dual screens and made it twice as easy to chip away at a team until I won. Slops... Surprisingly, I felt like Arceus was the weakest link as it was disappointingly frail and easily stopped. It was also my only physical attacker which put a lot of pressure on it >.< Klefki was great, but really deadweight once everything had been set up and the entire enemy team was paralysed. I found myself wasting turns a lot. :/ Mega Venusaur came in really clutch in a lot of matches thanks to Leech Seed stall but just didn't hit hard enough, Heatran surprised me with it's bulk but was weak to a lot of really common things. Mewtwo falls into neither column as I felt that it hit ridiculously hard and swept some teams but had a lot of unfavourable matchups and I couldn't reliably get the Substitute up as it was normally such a high-priority target for the opposing team. It probably would've worked better with Follow Me support, oh well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)