Resource RU Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Doublade: This is a very controversial Pokemon as to whether it should be A+ or S. However, I want to bring up a point about why S rank Pokemon are there. They can create free turns rather easily for themselves and / or have a great influence on the current metagame. For Doublade, I think the latter is easily the case. Doublade is, bar none, the best spinblocker in the tier, period. The fact that Claydol, one of the worst spinners in the tier otherwise, is actually your best bet to spin against this thing should say something. (and no, Torkoal is not relevant >.>) Accelgor and Omastar aren't bad per se, but their job is made so much easier when they have a spinblocker like Doublade covering their quick Spikes (and Stealth Rock in Omastar's case) Doublade makes Spike stacking HO as good as it is right now because it will beat Hitmonlee and Kabutops (the two best spinners) 1v1 on almost every occasion, even if they predict with Knock Off. And even if it doesn't, you can just send in a faster threat that isn't weak to their priority moves (Yanmega, Moltres vs. Lee. Virizion, Rotom-C vs. Tops) to keep them from spinning, which will usually let the hazards do their work before they can spin. Point is, Doublade makes Spike stacking HO as good as it is right now because of its ability to spinblock with such great ease and still be able to setup rather easily against defensive threats like Registeel, Bronzong, and Aromatisse. And if you're trying to use it to flat out wall stuff, you're doing it wrong. I understand it can have some issues with top threats (primarily Moltres, special Shark and Zoroark) but its influence on the current metagame and its ability to spinblock most spinners with the greatest of ease makes it S rank imo.

Aromatisse: It can go SpDef, PhysDef, and even CM. Aromatisse is one of the two faces of Stall right now (the other being bloated fish) It checks so many threats in the current meta, including being a full stop to Zoroark and one of the few defensive Pokemon that has a chance against Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega (needs to run SpDef though) It does give some easy switch-in opportunities to the likes of Delphox, Moltres, Doublade, and Escavalier, but Aroma's support is second to none and stall in RU would look a whole lot different without Aroma in the tier. Definite A+ material imo

Arikado , he was saying that Doublade can give those mons issues with its STABs, despite being threatened by some of their attacks at the same time.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
rhyperior has stab edgequake and 140 base attack, registeel doesn't.

Arikado , he was saying that Doublade can give those mons issues with its STABs, despite being threatened by some of their attacks at the same time.
I misread then. But that's common sense, since those mons are offensive in the first place and shouldn't really be switching in on much, especially not doublade.

I don't get how you you say this (bolded)..lol.
People want Yamnega suspect and you know why? Not because shitty Speed Boost but because Choice Specs tinted lens that destroys the entire tier unless you are something like Registeel or Togetic. While Speed Boost isn't bad Tinted Lens is 200% better and any good player will agree with me. Now if you want to use a Speed Boost cleaner use Sharpedo who isn't x4 weak to SR and has mixed offenses. And if you really didn't know that I suggest you to use more Yanmega and stop calling my posts "shitty" especially when all my points were valid (except the Bronzong one I admit) case closed have a good day.
If anything, Sharpedo is worse as a Speed Booster, due to the popularity of mach Punch users such as Hitmonlee and Gurdurr, which Yanmega can easily switch in on, making it one of the, if not the best check to the aformentioned threats in the tier. SB Yan also has far less switchins than Sharpedo rofl, and the few switchins that can are fairly easy to take out (Registeel is trucked by Dugtrio); in fact, literally all Yantrio needs to plow through teams is hazard support and control, which is the reason Accelgor / Omastar (who should be moved up js) is so amazing right now.

i'd address other points but i have to leave rn so hopefully tomorrow or w/e. also gr8 shitposts frens

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If anything, Sharpedo is worse as a Speed Booster, due to the popularity of mach Punch users such as Hitmonlee and Gurdurr, which Yanmega can easily switch in on, making it one of the, if not the best check to the aformentioned threats in the tier. SB Yan also has far less switchins than Sharpedo rofl, and the few switchins that can are fairly easy to take out (Registeel is trucked by Dugtrio); in fact, literally all Yantrio needs to plow through teams is hazard support and control, which is the reason Accelgor / Omastar (who should be moved up js) is so amazing right now.
You seriously called Sharpedo a worst Speed Booster than Yanmega? Sure Mach Punch weakness suck but he doesn't have the horrible x4 weakness to SR that Yanmega has (you could said that rapid spin support exists but thats a lot of support for a S rank pokemon) and how exactly Yanmega has less switchins than Sharpedo? Sharpdo's STABS hit everything in the S and A rankings neutrally with the exception of Virizion and Sharpedo lol while Yanmega's STABS don't. Sharpedo can also go mixed, special or physical while Yanmega can only go special and Sharpedo only needs hazard support to make a late game clean while Yanmega needs hazard support, SR removal and Dugtrio support ( I know this is optional but still) to make a late game clean. Also SB Yanmega has a horrible 4 move slot syndrome because he needs both STAB moves, protect and the last moveslot always determines Yanmega's counters (If you chose Shadow Ball you get walled Rhyperior and if you chose Giga Drain you get walled by Doublade and friends) while Sharpedo can use Aqua Jet to troll priority, Ice Beam for coverage or Destiny Bond to kill something like Aromatisse and let another member sweep.

not you again,,
and how exactly Yanmega has less switchins than Sharpedo? Sharpdo's STABS hit everything in the S and A rankings neutrally with the exception of Virizion and Sharpedo lol while Yanmega's STABS don't.
Yanmega's stabs hit everything with the exception of Registeel. And trust me Doublade does not want to be constantly coming on Yanmega as it takes over 30% from a LO Air Slash and it's 2hkod by a specs air slash, sure is a nice counter huh. The only real counter to yanmega is registeel and on top of that yanmega has bulk to actually take a hit. Where as sharpedo is weak to common priority and is obviously frail as shit

Mew2

Sex is overrated
not you again,,

Yanmega's stabs hit everything with the exception of Registeel. And trust me Doublade does not want to be constantly coming on Yanmega as it takes over 30% from a LO Air Slash and it's 2hkod by a specs air slash, sure is a nice counter huh. The only real counter to yanmega is registeel and on top of that yanmega has bulk to actually take a hit. Where as sharpedo is weak to common priority and is obviously frail as shit
Aside from Mach Punch Yanmega and Sharpedo take similar damage from priority:
252+ Atk Doublade Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 73-87 (23.2 - 27.7%) -- 70.3% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Doublade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sharpedo: 65-77 (23.1 - 27.4%) -- 59.2% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sharpedo: 159-187 (56.5 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 175-208 (55.7 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Mega Banette Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 99-117 (31.5 - 37.2%) -- 80.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Banette Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sharpedo: 87-103 (30.9 - 36.6%) -- 68.8% chance to 3HKO

Doublade and Registeel are more common that something like defensive Virizion lol and Yanmega won't switch as many times as you think when SR are up. Also lol specs SB Yanmega

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also lol specs SB Yanmega
he meant tinted lens lol no where did he mention specs speed boost yanmega

252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 198-234 (61.4 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sharpedo: 254-300 (90.3 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 17-21 (5.4 - 6.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 25-30 (7.9 - 9.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sharpedo: 359-424 (127.7 - 150.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

How have you not established that doublade is not a yanmega counter. Its 2hkod by the specs set and it does not want to come in on the speed boost set more than once

Mew2

Sex is overrated
he meant tinted lens lol no where did he mention specs speed boost yanmega

252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 198-234 (61.4 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
We were talking about SB not Tinted Lens thats why I thought he meant Specs SB.
252+ Atk Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sharpedo: 254-300 (90.3 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 17-21 (5.4 - 6.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 25-30 (7.9 - 9.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sharpedo: 359-424 (127.7 - 150.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I clearly stated that aside from Mach Punch both take similar damage from priority in fact, Sharpedo resists all priority moves except Mach Punch, Vacumn Wave, E-Speed (both of them rare in RU) and Fake Out (Sharpedo just protects).

Mach Punch is the most common form of priority, Doublade is worn down as it will likely try to stop Lee and co from spinning and will eat a Knock Off in the process, among others. Specially Defensive Aroma and Registeel are your best (and pretty much only) bet at reliably countering (SpecsLens) Mega, but Aroma would rather be Physically Defensive to take on Lee and other Fighters better, lest it get broken through by HJK from Lee and Regi is trapped by Duggy and set up bait for anything not weak to Steel with Taunt. Yanmega only needs the usual worn down team and those few mons (and some others, like AV Esca, but it's worn down by pivoting into random Psychic/Ghost move, so w/e) out of the way to clean reliably. Sharpedo needs literally every bulky Grass-, Steel-, and Water-type out of the way to make sure those don't tank a hit and mess up its day, as it can't afford to be hit by anything due frailty.

And, unless it's a last resort, you would never switch in Yanmega before you remove SR because murdering yourself with LO recoil before cleaning even starts sucks, lol. In addition, you'd generally clean Offensive/Balanced teams (you're better off using something like SubBU Braviary against Stall tbh)...which is also where you'd find priority users (like Lee). Sharpedo has better coverage and can hit more things SE, but Yanmega doesn't miss that coverage at all as it can hit what it needs to with its STABs and is still capable of taking the odd hit if it needs to (gl trying that with shark). So yea..

Reactions: g

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just want to say that the entire reason Registeel has been brought up to A- is that it can actually take a hit from Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega. If Yanmega gets suspected (pretty sure everyone is gonna vote ban if it does) and banned i think Registeel will fall back down to B rank. Comparing Regi to Rhyperior and saying they should be the same rank because they set up rocks reliably isnt a very good argument. I think what Arikado was trying to get at is that Rhyperior can set up rocks while still being a fantastic offensive presence and tank with its ability Solid Rock. This makes it a better rock setter for offensive based teams. I dont know if Rhyperior should drop from S rank tbh, gonna have to play around with him in the current meta before I say.

Definitely supporting Aromatisse for A+
Not only can Aroma stall, but it's also one of the best clerics in the tier, able to heal status (surprisingly important) and Wish pass. Like EonX said, its really versatile in what sets it runs and subsequently what it can stall/wall, which is really nice because checks/counters for one set may not work for the other. It also brings many otherwise great attackers to their knees, such as Hitmonlee, who's standard set gets run over by Aroma. It does have a bit of Checks and Counters that don't mind what set it runs and almost completely stop it, but otherwise it's one of the best healers in the tier and has very few flaws. A+ mon for sure.

Edit: I would also like to say some people get a little too worked up for something as petty as a Pokemon's viability ranking, can everyone just take a deep breath? ._.

Last edited:

Mew2

Sex is overrated
Like Montsegur said, the main reason Registeel is A- is because he is the only viable counter (aside random trash like Togetic and Golbat) that can fully stop Specs Yanmega and it's the only important niche Registeel has over Rhyperior.

Sharpedo's STABS can own the entire tier Water/ Dark have amazing coverage just look at what Crawdaunt did in the UU tier and it outclasses Yanmega as a Speed Booster imo.

Now into Aromatisse: At the start of the RU era Aromatisse was my favorite poke because it hard walled things like Drudi, Sableye and LO Raikou and with the amazing Aroma Veil it was hard to counter her. The bad news is that the metagame is slowly adapting to Aromatisse and every day I see more pokes with a poison or steel type move JUST for Aromatisse for example Drudi uses Iron Tail or Poison Jab to nail Aromatisse hurting her walling capabilities. It is a set up fodder for anything that resists fairy like Delphox or Doublade and it doesn't wall as much as you would think (needs certain ammount of evs to avoid the 2 HKO from Hitmonlee's HJK) and poison types like Amoomgiss or Weezing can pressure the pink blob and another important thing is that Aromatisse doesn't counter SpecsMega. I use SpecsMega in 9/10 of my teams and unless you are max HP max SpD Aroma and at 100% HP you can't switch into SpecsMega (252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 174-204 (42.8 - 50.2%) -- 40.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery) also don't use CM Aromatisse lol. At the current meta I think A rank is fine by me but if I see enough arguments about Aroma being A+ I might change my mind.

Finally I want to nominate Accelgor for B+ because it's the fastest spiker in the game (except Deo-S who is ubers anyways) and with the new XY egg mechanics Accelgor can learn both Encore and Spikes making him into a Froslass junior. It also has Final Gambit that can be used to troll defogers and spinners and continue the offensive pressure and Unburden makes this thing even faster than before. In conclusion, this guy is the new face of HO and it will get at least two layers of spikes beofre dying.

aVocado

@ Everstone
you guys are legit forgetting lickilicky the god, it can take on yanmega no problem and knock off its item, neutralizing it as a threat:

252 SpA Choice Specs Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 153-180 (36 - 42.4%) -- 93.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 144-172 (33.9 - 40.5%) -- 42.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

although admittedly it kinda needs hazards out of the field, but so does registeel kinda, switching into specs bug buzz is gonna wear it down quickly.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
you guys are legit forgetting lickilicky the god, it can take on yanmega no problem and knock off its item, neutralizing it as a threat:

252 SpA Choice Specs Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 153-180 (36 - 42.4%) -- 93.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 144-172 (33.9 - 40.5%) -- 42.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

although admittedly it kinda needs hazards out of the field, but so does registeel kinda, switching into specs bug buzz is gonna wear it down quickly.
Which is part of the reason Licky was added to B rank iirc. It isnt as common of a wall in RU atm and it might become more common if it is hyped up a little bit more. The problem with Licky is if it gets status it can easily be 2hko'd, also it tends to need its own wishes more often than not to come back in on mons like yanmega to prevent it from being 2hko'd, ofc the same could be said about Aromatisse, but the difference is that Licky can get set up on fairly easily if its running Wish/Protect/Knock Off/Heal Bell. I think the best set for Licky (Pls note I havent actually used it in RU yet but this set comes from massive amounts of battling with my Licky Granbull core) is: Wish/Protect/Body Slam/D-tail. In NU I run Granbull along with Licky for Heal Bell support so you would have to find something to replace Granbull as a Heal Bell/Aromathrerapy user. I think that this core could be quite good if built properly.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mew2 , hint why I said Aromatisse has a chance against Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega. But having a chance is better than a good 70% of the rest of the tier. Anyway, the point of me talking about SpDef and PhysDef was to prove the versatility Aromatisse has. If you need a physical wall, Aromatisse is there. Need a special wall? Aroma can do that too. Need Wish Support? Aromatisse has you covered. Need Cleric Support? Aromatisse does that too. All of this (bar being both a physical and special wall) is in one teamslot mind you. This versatility is similar to Zoroark's, only from a defensive perspective and the fact that Aroma is prone to being setup bait for some serious threats means it isn't quite as good as Zoro is (who's S rank atm) However, when Aromatisse is one of the poster childs of RU Stall, it should be A+ rank when you consider its versatility with only one teamslot. Building stall is so much easier with Aromatisse because it covers both Wish and Cleric support in one slot and can be EVed to be a physical or special wall depending on what your stall team is weaker too. Aroma is also able to work on balance and bulky offense teams as a defensive pivot to keep the team healthy, so she isn't limited just to stall. Versatility, flexibility, and a great support movepool make Aroma A+ imo.

Mew2 , hint why I said Aromatisse has a chance against Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega. But having a chance is better than a good 70% of the rest of the tier. Anyway, the point of me talking about SpDef and PhysDef was to prove the versatility Aromatisse has. If you need a physical wall, Aromatisse is there. Need a special wall? Aroma can do that too. Need Wish Support? Aromatisse has you covered. Need Cleric Support? Aromatisse does that too. All of this (bar being both a physical and special wall) is in one teamslot mind you. This versatility is similar to Zoroark's, only from a defensive perspective and the fact that Aroma is prone to being setup bait for some serious threats means it isn't quite as good as Zoro is (who's S rank atm) However, when Aromatisse is one of the poster childs of RU Stall, it should be A+ rank when you consider its versatility with only one teamslot. Building stall is so much easier with Aromatisse because it covers both Wish and Cleric support in one slot and can be EVed to be a physical or special wall depending on what your stall team is weaker too. Aroma is also able to work on balance and bulky offense teams as a defensive pivot to keep the team healthy, so she isn't limited just to stall. Versatility, flexibility, and a great support movepool make Aroma A+ imo.
I'd also like to add that Aromatisse has probably the best typing in the game both defensively and offensively (that is what makes it a good Calm Mind user, because unlike mew2 said it is a fantastic win condition for stall and is very hard to stop with Taunt and Encore immunity).
DEFINITELY A+.

Also I want to say that weather is an extremely underrated play style and with some of the best setters in this tier (Cresselia, Bronzong, Rotom-Mow, and Uxie come to mind but Volbeat and Meowstick do their job too) some Sun and Rain sweepers can really wreck havoc and probably deserve to be ranked. I'm gonna start nominating Victreebell (i started using sun a bit before Froslass test but tried it again yesterday) because it becomes absurdly powerful in Sun and has a fantastic movepool including moves such ad Weather Ball, Solar Beam, Sucker Punch, Knock Off, Sleep Powder, and Growth (very difficult to set up but then you OHKO the whole tier lol). It obviously requires Sun support and but
C Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can be effective given the right support, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are completely eclipsed by a Pokemon in the above ranks.
In my opinion resembles it perfectly as it is devastating with Sun support but is kinda dead weight without (bar a decently powerful Sucker Punch I guess).
C/C+ in my opinion.
There are some other weather sweepers (spirit was talking about Exeggutor but I have no experience with it) but for now I'll stop.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
After some calcs and what eonx said I think Aroma should fit A+ nicely because in my point of view Aromatisse is a jack of trades master of none. She might not be as specially bulky as Lickilicky or physically bulky as Alomomola but the fact it can go both ways and act as both cleric and wish passer makes Aromatisse a fantasic mixed wall and the fairy typing adds a lot of key resistances to her. I still don't like CM Aromatisse because unlike other CM users like Suicune most of her weaknesses are physical and while it is deadly to stall teams it will rarely stand a chance against HO or Balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)