VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is better to use with mega gengar/perish song ? Greninja mat block or aerodactyl wide guard, or anything else good with wide guard?
I would never use Mat Block. Anything is better than Mat Block. Be aware of the option, but avoid using it at all costs.

What's a better way to use perish song gengar in doubles then?
A rage powder mon or a fake out mon are both good ideas. Rage powder on something bulky like Amoonguss can keep Gengar safe to set up Perish Song, then do the Protect/Sub shenanigans, or it can bluff Rage Powder and go protect if it expects something to predict rage powder and target it directly.

Fake Out can of course disable whichever of the opponent's would deal most damage to Gengar.

Wide and Quick Guard mons are also options. Basically anything that can help Gengar get free turns works well.

What is a counter for trick room?
1) A very slow but still viable pokemon like Amoonguss
2) Anything that can waste turns such as protect (or sleep; again, Amoonguss is good for this)
3) Priority, although many TR teams have something run quick guard to block priority
4) Using trick room yourself to undo the effects
5) Running something with Imprison+Trick Room
6) Taunting, sleeping, or KOing the TR setter before it can pull off the move, though this is usually difficult since the opponent frequently runs something to deal with these tactics (e.g. mental herb for taunting, or rage powder/wide guard/whatever for people who try to target the TR setter. I've even seen someone run safety goggles to avoid sleep powder/spore.)

Yiggaman

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
1) A very slow but still viable pokemon like Amoonguss
2) Anything that can waste turns such as protect (or sleep; again, Amoonguss is good for this)
3) Priority, although many TR teams have something run quick guard to block priority
4) Using trick room yourself to undo the effects
5) Running something with Imprison+Trick Room
6) Taunting, sleeping, or KOing the TR setter before it can pull off the move, though this is usually difficult since the opponent frequently runs something to deal with these tactics (e.g. mental herb for taunting, or rage powder/wide guard/whatever for people who try to target the TR setter. I've even seen someone run safety goggles to avoid sleep powder/spore.)
Wow I think my best bet is to run taunt talon flame because trick room is killing me because I lack priority and the constant sporing is a problem too

Wow I think my best bet is to run taunt talon flame because trick room is killing me because I lack priority and the constant sporing is a problem too
Well like I said mental herb is a common item for trick room setters, so just be careful because it may not work. Sometimes just having stuff to stall out the TR turns is the best option.

But yeah, TR is a pain to fight for most teams.

I mentioned before about having trouble with Trick Room and someone mentioned that since I use a Mr. Mime I could use Trick Room on him and reverse the effects of Trick Room.

I shared that info with a member a few pages back.

But I will recommend it again, if you have a Poké on your team that can use Trick Room, you could use it to reverse the effects by using it after they do.

Yiggaman

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I mentioned before about having trouble with Trick Room and someone mentioned that since I use a Mr. Mime I could use Trick Room on him and reverse the effects of Trick Room.

I shared that info with a member a few pages back.

But I will recommend it again, if you have a Poké on your team that can use Trick Room, you could use it to reverse the effects by using it after they do.
Good ideA thanx i will try that

How does Quash work? Does it have priority? Would a slow pokemon like Vespiquen be able to use it (she'd be outsped by the opponent)? Also, Prankster Liepard is allowed in this format, right?

Also, is prankster Liepard allowed? I know Liepard is but Prankster is only found in the Friend Safari.

Last edited:
How does Quash work? Does it have priority? Would a slow pokemon like Vespiquen be able to use it (she'd be outsped by the opponent)? Also, Prankster Liepard is allowed in this format, right?

Also, is prankster Liepard allowed? I know Liepard is but Prankster is only found in the Friend Safari.
Quash has no priority, it is only used on Prankster Murkrow because of this, and while Quash as a move sounds nice in practice it is kind of meh. Prankster Liepard is 100% legal.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Especially in today's meta where 99.9% of them are Multiscale, you'd fool a ton of people. It'd suck in Best of 3 though.

Yiggaman

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Especially in today's meta where 99.9% of them are Multiscale, you'd fool a ton of people. It'd suck in Best of 3 though.
Yea I think in doubles that's the perfect lead dragonite run a choice band adamant one max Att something should def die

Yiggaman said:
Anybody ever use a inner focus dragonite to pawn fake out leads?
I use an Inner Focus Kangaskhan for the same purpose and it's worked tremendously well. If I sniff out a speed tie/faster Fake Out user (especially any opposing Kangs, Ludicolo, Mienshao, Infernape, etc.) I'll lead with it and a ghost that can avoid it and it will pretty much guarantee a free KO on the Fake Out poke by double attacking it if Return doesn't get the job done itself.

It's huge because the Fake Out poke is generally the strongest on their team (such as Kang or Ludicolo on rain teams) and losing that after they think they're safe using Fake Out swings the game far in your favor right off the bat.

Only downside is if they actually don't Fake Out because they noticed it was in a Dream Ball and ignore Fake Out in favor of a stronger attack. Though this is rare and I haven't run into many players who've noticed this. As alluded above it's not as solid in best of three, but it does allow for some mind games of trying Fake Out or not on it, and giving you an opportunity to Fake Out a faster poke yourself.

Last edited:
Why is latias used more than latios?
I know latias is basically a cressellia back in it's prime, but it'll be forever known as stupidly op/good.
Note, I'm a NOOOB when it comes to battling so don't judge me, I'm innocent.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Latias isn't used more than Latios. Both are used zero because they aren't legal in VGC 2014.

It's never been more common when legal either. Latios has always been used more because people generally value its power more than Latias' bulk, which I disagree with but I'm just one guy. Latias doesn't really serve the same purpose as Cresselia anyway. Cresselia is far more bulky on stats alone (Latias' Dragon typing is pretty sweet though), making it a better pure supporter.

Yiggaman

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Latias isn't used more than Latios. Both are used zero because they aren't legal in VGC 2014.

It's never been more common when legal either. Latios has always been used more because people generally value its power more than Latias' bulk, which I disagree with but I'm just one guy. Latias doesn't really serve the same purpose as Cresselia anyway. Cresselia is far more bulky on stats alone (Latias' Dragon typing is pretty sweet though), making it a better pure supporter.
Can you link me to the vgc 14 ban list?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Only downside is if they actually don't Fake Out because they noticed it was in a Dream Ball and ignore Fake Out in favor of a stronger attack. Though this is rare and I haven't run into many players who've noticed this.
Don't put it in a dream ball then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)