Megas for All Art Project

Little late, but...

Voting is now closed for Vileplume, Pangoro, Rapidash, Cradily! Congratulations to zerobreaker000 ,Andrew , and clapyourhands (=)) for their winning designs! As a reminder, sprite submissions, both back, front, and shiny, are now open for these four as well, and will remain open indefintely. Feel free to create and submit sprites for winning designs as the project goes on. Also, The submission period for Primeape, Xatu, Durant, Mismagius will remain open until June 24th 8:00 PST.

Wobblebuns It looks fantastic to me =). If you think it looks a bit plain you can always do what Gamefreak generally does with white space post Gen III and add stripes/spots/spikes (or in this case, more likely gems) to the emptier area--but sometimes simplicity is nice as well.

In other news...

----->

For a first draft attempt, I think I did alright. It's got a Medusa-y vibe I kinda like. Here's the winning design submission I based the sprite upon:

How did I do?

Last edited:

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Good job on that sprite clapyourhands ! :o

I would say make the circles on Mega Cradily's head thicker/darker so they are easier to see. Also on the edges of the black lines on Mega Cradily's head put a dark green like regular Cradily has so it blends better.

Ran into a problem I learned of when making the shinies; somehow when I was spriting, my brush changed to 90% opacity, leaving a bunch of slightly-different colored areas. I think I fixed most of it,but I'm not yet 100% sure. Anyways, I took Arhops 's advice into account, and I present to you the first full set of sprites for the project (still open for improvements, of course).

EDIT: This one didn't turn out quite as well, but I invite anyone to take a shot and fix it using this as a base.

----->

EDIT 2:

EDIT 3: Backsprite for this one is gonna be a nightmare.

----->

EDIT 4: ...and here's the rest of it. Let's just say I had a lot of time on my hands today.

EDIT 5: Last update for a little while, but I'm really not happy with this one. If someone can go and make it less... lanky ... and unappealing ... then please, be my guest.
----->

Things I had problems with spriting this:

- I can't do spikes at all
- Legs are at weird angles and lengths, making it look more spider-y and less streamlined
- No idea how the heck I'm going to make a back sprite for this
- Generally shabby linework and shading, the latter of which was never my strong point
- Again, spikes, both the ones on the forelegs and it's "toes"

Finally, the deadline for submissions will likely be extended for a few days due to my IRL responsibilities. Also the lack of Primeape and Durant submissions, but mostly the fact that I won't be active online for the next few days.

Last edited:
MOAR ARTZ

Mega Primeaps:
相片0036.jpg

Nothing much, just changed the body shape to be taller, added shoulder gauntlets and a tail, larger arm gauntlets which are supposed to look similar to sand dunes, and a bandana on the head. The body color should probably be changed to that of similar to desert sand.

Mega Xatu
相片0038.jpg

Since regular Xatu is based on a Resplendent Quetzal, I based parts of Mega Xatu on a Quetzalcoatl (lame pun, I know), and incorporated the greek letter Xi (both uppercase and lowercase) into the pattern on its body. I'm not sure how I came up with this design :P

Mega Durant
相片0034.jpg

Hell if I know what the hell I was thinking back then ._.
Anyways, fire ant + airplanes with turbines for air holes. The whole body takes on a silvery red color, and the eye becomes gold. I might have made the design a bit too complex, but meh, don't have the patience to change it again.

Alright, so I'll close the submissions period later today, sorry for the absence.

----->

Here's my Durant submission. It's based pretty loosely off zerobreaker's (the fan and the zigzag, really), but simplified a bunch because Durant is kind of a small sprite and his was a bit too complicated to do well. The red accents glow when Durant is exposed to fire, absorbing the heat and allowing Durant to release it on its own--Flash Fire.

I've only just noticed these threads. So unfortunately couldn't weigh in on what I felt a Mega Mismagius should be like. I recently designed one last week. But I did still make it Ghost/Fairy so its form might still be applicable if someone wanted to try spriting it? (it is ground-based rather than floaty, but you can imagine still floating if you want (i gave it a new ability Witchcraft instead of Levitate), besdies gengar is on the ground and has levitate, so it can still work).
Anyways, enough waffle, here is my Mega Mismagius design:

The submission period is now closed for: Primeape, Xatu, Durant, Mismagius
The voting period for these Pokemon is now open and will remain open until July 3rd 8:00 PST. Please PM votes to me using the format in the OP.
(Note: Since there was only one submission for Primeape, then zerobreaker000 automatically will have his submission for it "win"...again...)

The submission period is now open for: Florges, Exploud, Dunsparce, Aurorus
The submission period for these Pokemon will remain open until July 8th 8:00 PST.

I've only just noticed these threads. So unfortunately couldn't weigh in on what I felt a Mega Mismagius should be like. I recently designed one last week. But I did still make it Ghost/Fairy so its form might still be applicable if someone wanted to try spriting it? (it is ground-based rather than floaty, but you can imagine still floating if you want (i gave it a new ability Witchcraft instead of Levitate), besdies gengar is on the ground and has levitate, so it can still work).
Anyways, enough waffle, here is my Mega Mismagius design:
Ohhh hey, someone else from deviantART :D

Also, Florges? This is going to be fun.
(Exploud as well)

Ohhh hey, someone else from deviantART :D
Hi! Yeah, dA is where is my post all my stuff now. Did have a blog a few years back, but that's long gone! I'd love to participate more with these, but as with dA, time is always an issue for me. If I can I will though. It was just lucky I had just done a Mega Mismagius, which I could submit here (wish it could use my stats and ability though :D)
Anyways, if I do find time, I will post the megas here too. But keep up the good work guys! Some of the sprites so far look awesome!!! :D

However I would love to make some sprites and concepts for this, I simply don't have the time. However I managed to jump on the net and found a couple of pictures which were extremely close to how I envisioned mega Dunsparce and Aurorus. So I didn't make them but I think that they are really great concepts close to what I envisioned.

Dunsparce
http://37.media.tumblr.com/1f3c8e2e45dc0c409cc6da8f4db68ba8/tumblr_mkw6yc0Jhn1rrr5sro1_1280.jpg

Aurorus
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/266/3/7/aurorus_by_clockworksheep-d6nlqqu.png

I did post this in the Megas for All thread, but as it is artwork, maybe it belongs here more. It's not a Mega Pokemon, but a new Mega Stone:

Pantosite:

Pantosite

"An extremely rare Mega Stone, which is infused with such a variety of mystical energies that it is believed to be able to Mega Evolve any Pokemon that can."

"This Mega Stone glistens beautifully in sunlight, depending upon which angle one looks at it, different colours appear in different areas, but every colour is believed to be contained in this rarity."

This is a theoretical item for the world of Pokemon. I created it because of the increasing popularity of creating fake Mega Evolutions. If this continues, soon every Pokemon line will have a Mega Evolution - which would require a huge number of Mega Stones to be put in a game. So, here is the solution. One stone to evolve them all, one stone to find them, one stone.... wait. Different world. But yes, this would be a held item, which Mega Evolves any Pokemon which has a Mega Evolution. It is a little larger than the individual Mega Stones, to signify its greater power. The name Pantosite is derived from the Greek: παντός meaning all.
[/quote]

I just feel it would be cool to have an actual item to implement these concepts we are coming up with! Rather than using Abomasite or something, which would feel wrong to me!

Just a heads up, vote is being extended until Tuesday because i don't have enough to reach a final decision, and I'll be out of town until nearly then.

So, I was pretty busy lately and didn't quite get the time to finish the design, but I might be able to work on them tomorrow, and have them done by the next day. Hopefully.

Hope I'm not too late for this batch.
Spoilered for large.

The ouroboros is the obvious place to go for Mega Dunsparce, especially given that the mythology of the tsuchinoko already includes it grabbing its tail in its mouth and rolling like a wheel. I made the overall body shape more elongated and graceful to allow for that and to make it look more draconic, given Mega Dunsparce's new secondary typing. The dot in the middle of the three eyes is the alchemical symbol for gold as a nod to the alchemical mythology of the ouroboros. Bulbapedia also lists Mesoamerican feathered serpents as possible inspirations for Dunsparce, so I modeled the wings after Aztec codices and the scales around the mouth and underbelly after the feathered serpent heads from Teotihuacan.

Last edited:
Just wondering, but...the sprites on the OP: are they rough-draft-esqued / prototype sprites or finalized? I'd love to try to help with the sprites; this was I can practice the BW shading style better.

Just wondering, but...the sprites on the OP: are they rough-draft-esqued / prototype sprites or finalized? I'd love to try to help with the sprites; this was I can practice the BW shading style better.
I think they're finalized, but your certainly welcome to make a better one if you can.

Oh they're definitely not finalized, I just threw them together so we'd have some sprites and I'm not that great of a spriter. Some help with the sprites would definitely be great!

As a side note both submissions and votes are still open because I haven't gotten enough votes to reach a consensus, and I don't quite have enough time to organize submissions. I should be free to restore the project to its normal schedule soon, though, so just hold tight!

Oh yeah, by the way, design explanations:

I kind of just clustered a bunch of concepts together for Mega Florges. In the end this is slightly based on Queen Sectonia from Kirby Triple Deluxe. And the flower rings it holds are supposed to be chakrams, though how they're going to be used I have no idea. Maybe throw it out and it'll shoot Moonblasts?

Did a quick little research on various instruments when designing Mega Exploud. I ended up intergrating pipe organ, saxophone and harmonica into the design, and it worked out well. Though I suppose the pipe are so heavy Mega Exploud needs to stand with all its 4 limbs.

I originally wanted to base Mega Dunsparce on Yamata-no-Orochi, the eight-headed serpent in japanese mythology, but I'm lazy and 8 head is really too much, I settled for three heads. On the tails. Other stuff is just an exaggeration of the existing features.

Mega Aurorus might have been influenced by Flandre Scarlet. That just, well, kind of happened when Iwas drawing and at the same time listening to U.N. Owen Was Her?. You can see the influence on the spine spikes, especially the top one. Also, Koch Snowflakes are on the body, and it kind of fits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)