UU Simple Questions Thread

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Is Suicune a win condition?
Words like win condition are merely part of the language Internet forum users create to create a barrier to entry in the site itself and cliquey culture. It is ultimately a social construct that is being deliberately used as a tool to maintain elitism fostered by a culture composed mainly of teenage boys and twenty somethings.

To fully answer your question suicine is really only a win condition if it has calm mind but plenty of suicine sets elect not to run calm mind.

What are "leaderboard points?" This keeps showing up in various seemingly unrelated threads (dark horse, victim, etc.)

I've got an older team of Victini/Chesnaught/Suicune/Hydreigon/Nidoking/Forretress. It's done pretty well for me, but I've noticed that I find it pretty hard to switch in to special attacks; Chesnaught, Suicune, and Forretress are all Pokemon that're better at investing in their physical defence. I was thinking of replacing Chesnaught with Florges to be able to swap into them better, as well as to switch in on things like opposing Hydreigon, which have also given me problems. Would Florges be solid enough in the team setup just by eyeballing it? Is there a better choice or a better thing to replace?
[sets're bandtini, crocune, scarfdreigon, standard king w/ megahorn, pdef forretress, spdef chesnaught {i was desperate, man; can take an analytic lo starmie's ice beam i think, pretty cool if not mediocre}]

Okay legitimate question, specifically for kokoloko. When it comes time to retest the auto-weather bans, will Drizzle and Drought be individually retested or are they going to be retested together under general auto-weather?

Art Vandelay

Banned deucer.
best -mixed- shell smash receiver (or in general)? I want something different than Hydreigon btw, been thinking Mesprit (bulkier than Azelf, only lacking Flamethrower, access to Knock Off, harder to revenge kill). Suggestions?

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I've got an older team of Victini/Chesnaught/Suicune/Hydreigon/Nidoking/Forretress. It's done pretty well for me, but I've noticed that I find it pretty hard to switch in to special attacks; Chesnaught, Suicune, and Forretress are all Pokemon that're better at investing in their physical defence. I was thinking of replacing Chesnaught with Florges to be able to swap into them better, as well as to switch in on things like opposing Hydreigon, which have also given me problems. Would Florges be solid enough in the team setup just by eyeballing it? Is there a better choice or a better thing to replace?
[sets're bandtini, crocune, scarfdreigon, standard king w/ megahorn, pdef forretress, spdef chesnaught {i was desperate, man; can take an analytic lo starmie's ice beam i think, pretty cool if not mediocre}]
sounds like it could work. try it and see how it goes. suicune will certainly appreciate the aromatherapy support. just make sure you play really well with victini/nidoking/forretress vs stall because you are slightly weak to it.

Okay legitimate question, specifically for kokoloko. When it comes time to retest the auto-weather bans, will Drizzle and Drought be individually retested or are they going to be retested together under general auto-weather?
individually. just as they were banned.

best -mixed- shell smash receiver (or in general)? I want something different than Hydreigon btw, been thinking Mesprit (bulkier than Azelf, only lacking Flamethrower, access to Knock Off, harder to revenge kill). Suggestions?
if you're looking for a mixed attacker, iron head / drain punch jirachi is probably your best bet. in general, though, nidoqueen is probably the best receiver you can ask for. immunity to thunder wave and toxic, amazing coverage, and the bulk to take a hit as it comes in and a priority attack after that. mega blastoise is also a cool receiver due to its bulk, power, and coverage.

Lets say I wanted to join a tournament. Is there a certain not required rank I should get myself to in that tier before signing up?

Heliolisk doesn't have the bulk at all to pull off any sort of tankish set, 62/52/94 just doesn't cut it. Also, its type is pretty awful defensively too, and parabolic charge doesn't provide enough recovery or damage to be worth it.

You're much better off playing to its strengths as a speedy special attacker with nice coverage and handy immunities.

Is stall dead in the tier? I've theorymonned a stall team w/ custom EV spreads to reliably beat Haxorus, CM Slowbro/Crocune, megadoom, and other potent offensive threats in the tier. Can it work?

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is stall dead in the tier? I've theorymonned a stall team w/ custom EV spreads to reliably beat Haxorus, CM Slowbro/Crocune, megadoom, and other potent offensive threats in the tier. Can it work?
Stall is definitely not dead. It has as to adapt to all the powerful threats that can break it like NP Luke, SD Hax, Sub CM Chandy etc. But it's not dead. People have started to innovate with certain fast mons in a slot they're weak to. I personally in victim of the week advertised a Mega Aero set that checks NP Mixnape, Alakazam, and Crobat, notorious threats to stall and I've seen stall run sets like mine before. Also stuff like Swamp Link's SpD Hydreigon to stop Chandelure, Granbull for Haxorus, the list goes on. People will keep finding the ways to beat offensive threats. I'm not a big stall player myself, but have seen it played incredibly well. One thing I find unique about it is there is a bigger focus on teambuilding. So definitely try stall, it can feel very rewarding when done right, and it's viable enough to be strong in this meta imo.

Stall is definitely not dead. It has as to adapt to all the powerful threats that can break it like NP Luke, SD Hax, Sub CM Chandy etc. But it's not dead. People have started to innovate with certain fast mons in a slot they're weak to. I personally in victim of the week advertised a Mega Aero set that checks NP Mixnape, Alakazam, and Crobat, notorious threats to stall and I've seen stall run sets like mine before. Also stuff like Swamp Link's SpD Hydreigon to stop Chandelure, Granbull for Haxorus, the list goes on. People will keep finding the ways to beat offensive threats. I'm not a big stall player myself, but have seen it played incredibly well. One thing I find unique about it is there is a bigger focus on teambuilding. So definitely try stall, it can feel very rewarding when done right, and it's viable enough to be strong in this meta imo.

Sweet. Can you fill me in on the SubCM Chandy and Mixape sets? Haven't really touched UU in a month lol

EDIT: Knock Off or S-Toss on Sableye?

Last edited:

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sweet. Can you fill me in on the SubCM Chandy and Mixape sets? Haven't really touched UU in a month lol

EDIT: Knock Off or S-Toss on Sableye?
Yah Mixnape is Nasty Plot / Close Combat / Grass Knot / Fire Blast, while Sub CM Chandy is Substitute / Calm Mind / Flamethrower / Shadow Ball. Also Knock Off or Foul Play on Sableye imo.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
^there are two nape sets, one is np ape (the one listed, which runs CC OR Vacuum wave), and the other is all-out attacker, which runs Earthquake potentially (and otherwise runs Fire Blast, CC, grass knot, etc). both are threatening to stall, but np is particularly threatening, as the only (shaky) answer is spd mew. Otherwise you're forced to run chandelure or victini or just offensively counter it.

stall is not really that good, it has a hard enough time against normal teams and can be absolutely demolished by niche (but very rarely used sets) like SD hax, np ape, sd heracross... the reason these sets aren't used is because they make stall so unviable that no one bothers running stall as they're permanent roadblocks to it becoming good again.

don't get me wrong, you can use it, but it's nowhere near overpowered and you'd probably be better off just running balance.

Heliolisk doesn't have the bulk at all to pull off any sort of tankish set, 62/52/94 just doesn't cut it. Also, its type is pretty awful defensively too, and parabolic charge doesn't provide enough recovery or damage to be worth it.

You're much better off playing to its strengths as a speedy special attacker with nice coverage and handy immunities.
Thanks. But I did think of a set that may work since drizzle is banned in UU.
A rain dance Helio lead. he would know Rain dance, Volt Switch, Thunder, and Thunder Wave/Surf
He would start with rain dance since he would probably be the fastest lead. Then depending on the pokemon he would volt switch out or use thunder to OHKO. Or He would thunder wave them then Volt Switch out. Surf and Thunder would be for any late game attacks.
The set would either more attack oriented with for taking out pokemon late game with surf or more support oriented with thunder wave.

What berry and boosting move would you guys recommend for this Feraligatr set?

Feraligatr @ Liechi Berry / Salac Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance / Swords Dance / Agility

Liechi Berry boosts gatrs attack one stage when its health is below 25% and Salac Berry does the same thing except for speed. Feraligatr's meant to be a late game sweeper so the idea is to use a boosting move while taking a hit that ideally sends it into Torrent (boosts water moves by 1.5) and berry range. Therefore, if the boosting move I use boosts just attack, such as Swords Dance, I would give gatr a salac berry to boost it's speed as well. Currently im leaning towards Dragon Dance and Liechi Berry because this way I'm not necessarily dependent on getting in berry range. However, I suppose i can make the same case for Swords Dance as gatr has Aqua Jet. I also put Agility as an option, although I really dont see a reason for boosting speed twice and losing out on an attack boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)