The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kiseijuu:
I read the manga for this, it's about alien parasite things that try to jump at people's heads so they can eat the brain and take over, but this one parasite jumps into a guy's arm instead. There are some hilarious moments like the penis hand. Would highly recommend based on the manga.

also fate stay night remake(?) I will be watching this for sure because I heard the 1st one was really bad and fate zero was p cool.

Also Magic Kaito bc I really like that universe hopefully we will see some Detective Conan crossovers.

and then: TENCHI MUYO. A classic

thoughts on some fall stuff:

Psycho Pass 2: didn't really care for s1 and it really didn't need a sequel so my interest in this was low from the start, but apparently Butch isn't even involved in this so I'll probably give it a miss.

Chaika 2: s1 was one of the better LN anime recently and it's planned to end at the same time as the novels so there's no need to worry about a BONES ending ruining it, looking forward to it.

Parasyte (it's been called Parasyte since forever I've never seen it called Kiseijuu up until now): It's been awhile since I read the manga but I liked it so I'll give this a shot.

Log Horizon 2: s1 was solid and despite initial similarities to SAO, it basically did its own thing and was really good at that. Apparently there aren't that many more novels out to adapt atm, hopefully it doesn't go into filler.

Grisaia: Having read the VN for this, I'm not quite sure what they're planning to do (it's ridiculously long and the first part of a trilogy). I'm actually kind of hoping it's a throwaway 13-episode adaption that doesn't even try to cover everything since the comedy is fantastic but the story is mostly crap.

Fate/Stay Night: I'm still not entirely sure what's going on here, I've heard that it'll be all-new, I've heard that it'll be a remake of the first show, a complete adaption of the VN, etc. Hyped regardless.

tier list of summer debuts so far

mk
aldnoah.zero - best introductory arc of any series this season. score, direction, voice acting, characters, everything's great. could go downhill as urobuchi only directed the first 3 episodes, mc needs development
zankyou no terror - fantastic storytelling, just the right amount of exposition, compelling plot. very hit-or-miss though, won't grab attention. two of the three mcs are unconvincing
gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun - solid sense of comedic timing, larger-than-life characters that are still believable, fantastic op. tends to dip into tropes instead of parodying them (that's ok sometimes)

high
ao haru ride - real characters, strong drama that doesn't feel forced. easy to empathise with both mcs, music is great. could potentially dry up later, don't know how much development mcs will get
tokyo ghoul - nice, dark atmosphere. mc is a pussy but is showing growth rather than being annoying. action is cool but censorship is annoying. good villains

middle
free! eternal summer - performing better than the first season now that the characters have been established. characters can feel fake at times, rin is a very good mc though
glasslip - by far the prettiest show of the season. soundtrack and ambience are good. characters are believable but hollow. concept needs to be fleshed out more, but it's pa works so i'll trust them
rail wars! - proud of its concept and it shows. direction is smooth, cg doesn't feel out of place. fanservice is so ridiculous that it's actually entertaining, but some errors in animation and a lot of deus ex machina
re_hamatora - significantly better in all aspects than the first season, concept is finally interesting. scene transitions are really grating, and the mood whiplash is real

low
sword art online II - still has the same flaws as last season, only it will make you rage less. action scenes are well directed and look cool, but it's hard to take sao seriously
tokyo esp - mc is hot but direction seems to be a bit flubbed. pacing is weird, seems to be typical shonen fighter

and i know i should be watching hanayamata and barakamon but i don't have time for all these series ok??

spring rollovers
mahouka - finally good, but if you don't want to sit through to the first season for it to get good i understand
haikyuu - just as good as last season, watch if you're a sports anime fan

I don't know anything about the VN but I thought they were making a brand new route. It sounds disappointing that they're not doing that.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
also fate stay night remake(?) I will be watching this for sure because I heard the 1st one was really bad and fate zero was p cool.
I think it was okay, it's not a pain to watch or anything, most of the people that complain are those who played the VN and say some stuff was skipped etc. I have played the VN (haven't completed all the routes though, that thing is long as fuck), and I think the anime was a decent adaptation. The animation is not the best but the important parts of the story are there and you get the overall feeling. The ero parts of the VN are skipped but that's understandable...

I will be definitely watching the remake (or whatever it is), if it's actually Ultimate Blade Works it will be an upgrade to the movie they made years ago at least. The movie was decent but it was unwatchable if you hadn't played the VN or at the very least watched the anime series.

Plus it's ufotable so the animation will probably be great :)

Blue_Tornado: iirc people expected this new adaptation to be a Heaven's Feel (the last route of the VN) adaptation, so maybe that's why it's disappointing for some. I'd be happy with a movie though

Last edited:

RODAN

Banned deucer.
f/sn is gonna be a movie and a tv show the tv show will be ultimate blade works and the movie is going to be heavens feel

get hyped

I'm not watching much this season but here are my thoughts on some stuff:

Akame ga Kill!: Pretty enjoyable show but the MC is generic and bland. Akame + gay bro dude are the real stars of this show.

Aldnoah.Zero: One of like 50 terrorism shows this season but it's not bad all around. Again, the MC kinda blows (emotionless and overpowered) and the CGI is annoying as balls but the story is neat.

Sailor Moon Crystal: I never watched the original at all but I'll probably drop this. The 2 minute long transformations alongside the whiny VA drives me cray.

SAO II: I'm actually enjoying where this show is going right now and I hope it keeps it up. I enjoyed part 1 of the original but found part 2 to be one of the worst shows I have ever seen.

Tokyo Ghoul: This show is dark. Like LITERALLY dark. Cool concept though. Not sure if I'll like it when all is said and done.

Zankyou no Terror: Definitely my favorite show of the season. I'm glad RODAN and xenu recommended it.

well i just marathoned all of madoka magica having never seen it before

i had quite a few predictions going into the finale but "tengen toppa kaname madoka" was not one of them

I think it was okay, it's not a pain to watch or anything, most of the people that complain are those who played the VN and say some stuff was skipped etc. I have played the VN (haven't completed all the routes though, that thing is long as fuck), and I think the anime was a decent adaptation. The animation is not the best but the important parts of the story are there and you get the overall feeling. The ero parts of the VN are skipped but that's understandable...
the issue is less the quality of the adaption and more that it adapts by far the worst of the three routes and none of the really good parts.

On the subject of the new anime, I think HF may end up being multiple movies, trying to squeeze the entire route into a single one like with the UBW movie wouldn't work too well. Also the UBW trailer looks amazing

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Gee I wonder what I am most excited for.

the issue is less the quality of the adaption and more that it adapts by far the worst of the three routes and none of the really good parts.
I hear this a lot and it baffles me. FSN is a three act story. You don't get the option of playing them out of order. You need Fate to understand UBW, and you need UBW to understand Heaven's Feel. Which is one reason the old anime fails, but the new anime is doing the same thing again. It's better than if they had just made a Heaven's Feel anime, but what we need is a season for each route.

The primary failing of the old FSN is that most people new to the story felt it was typical shounen with a dumb protagonist who everything always went right for. Ufotable clearly will do a better of showing us just how much Shirou has to fucking struggle and just how screwed he is. Still for people who didn't really get to know Shirou in the Fate route, a lot of it won't be very meaningful. It's good for me but I was hoping to show this to some of my friends who are too lazy to read the VN.

On another note, I see I'm not the only one not feeling the new Sailor Moon but is any other old fan as bored with it? So far it is shot for shot, and I know that's gonna change, but the music (or lack of) is awful, the voice actors are doing a worse job, the art is generally good but feels off sometimes (it is so dumb that Mamoru wears a tux all the time, Usagi's look doesn't suit her), and that new transformation sequence looks awful and somehow manages to be 1000 times skeevier. If I have to compare the episodes directly to the original, and I have to so far as it's shot for shot, then the new show is just awful. I hope it picks up with plot differences really quickly.

Last edited:
I hear this a lot and it baffles me. FSN is a three act story. You don't get the option of playing them out of order. You need Fate to understand UBW, and you need UBW to understand Heaven't Feel. Which is one reason the old anime fails, but the new anime is doing the same thing again. It's better than if they had just made a Heaven's Feel anime, but what we need is a season for each route.

The primary failing of the old FSN is that most people new to the story felt it was typical shounen with a dumb protagonist who everything always went right for. Ufotable clearly will do a better of showing us just how much Shirou has to fucking struggle and just how screwed he is. Still for people who didn't really get to know Shirou in the Fate route, a lot of it won't be very meaningful. It's good for me but I was hoping to show this to some of my friends who are too lazy to read the VN.
I completely agree. I think Fate by itself is a good and solid route, and it's still favorite to many fans (although probably mostly because Saber is their waifu or something idk). It also introduces the audience to the Fate universe, so arguably this route was designed to be rather easy to digest and thus has a formulaic shounen feel to it.
But without Fate as foundation, UBW would be a lot less impactful as many plot points in Fate still apply in UBW but are just unspoken, simply because you are expected to be already familiar with Fate. Examples include
Gilgamesh, Avalon and Saber's identity

Having said that, I think ufotable's decision to adapt UBW was still a good choice. While it is worrisome that some parts of the plot won't be understood by newcomers, I feel the route itself - unlike Heaven's Feel - is on a level of complexity for most people to understand even without having watched Fate or played the VN. Just the basic premise and the fact that Fate/Zero already exists should be enough to get a good grasp of what's going on.

On a side note, this means that we will probably get yet another remix of "Emiya", which at this point already has like 9 "official" remixes :D

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
None of those things are nearly as important to UBW as understanding Shirou as a character. People didn't get that out of the original series, and can't get that out of Fate/Zero.
Fate is about establishing his character in an environment where he is (seemingly) rewarded for his behavior. UBW turns that around and really tests him. Heaven's Feel breaks him. The order is very important.

What they are doing now is probably the next best thing you could do compared to making each route its own season, like I said I'm really glad it's not just a season of Heaven's Feel.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Not at all... when I first played through FSN, I stopped after Fate for a whole year because I thought the other "routes" were just slight changes. Fate was so god damn good I didn't want any changes. That's how good FSN is in general. It's just that the later acts build upon the foundation and increase the value of the work as a whole... some people act like they are better stories in a vacuum but they don't exist in one.

yeah I don't really get why UBW over Fate from Warb's argument.. is Fate really boring or something?
My wording was very unclear I apologize. I was merely agreeing with vonFiedler that each route of Fate/Stay Night should be regarded in context of the whole multiverse instead of separately, because each route adds to the experience of the other routes. I never stated that Fate was boring or bad. Again, I apologize for being unclear with my argument.

Btw, does anyone know anything about this Fate/grand order thing for iOS and Android?

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Changing the name to "MK2" because there was another Anime thread before this one but this one somehow got more successful (even though it was mainly about new anime). Lately conversations have included stuff that isn't new releases so I'm just going to make the change reflect that. If anyone has any better ideas let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)