350 Cup

Nooo.

In all actuality, I'm glad for this ban. It will likely increase the viability of previously unseen Pokemon, specifically Ghost and Psychic types, such as Honedge, and new threats such as Frillish, Pumkaboo, and Unown may have an easier time. Also Scraggy returns and is better now, especially that it has an easier time running Intimidate to increase its defensive prowess. Koffng is better now that the best boosting Pokemon isn't a Steel and can be Clear Smogged.

FWIW, best Defiant user is probably now Mankey, who has a ridiculous Close Combat, even unboosted. Koffing gives it problems (Spritzee too). Iirc, the strongest Flare Blitz now belongs to Tepig.

ALso, glad to see Adrian Marin is using a Scrafbrava. Care to elaborate on the spread?

Darumaka hits way to hard for the metagame to handle even with the incredibly bulky mons. What puts Darumaka overis Hustle with Hustle in tandem with Deoxys A's attack there is literally nothing that can safely switch in to Darumaka except for really really bulky waters but the ban of Eviolite sucks and most of them are forced to run resttalk for recovery. I have not had enough experience to have an opinion for Pawniard. As for Spritzee there is literally nothing that can ohko this thing afaik and that has an ability to OHKO the thing, spritzee draws a lot of parallels to Cresselia in bw RU in the fact that it is just to bulky for the metagame and that is my arguement.
TL;DR To stronk and to bulky

Oh they're banned

Last edited:
(Read this with the dandiest voice possible) Ladies and gentleman, with the ban of Pawniard a pokémon I was trying to experiment with gained a huge boost to its abilities, this creature has the stats of a monster, the abilities of the devil, and a moveset of the armagedon, ladies and gents I present, Elgyem:
Elgyem @ Leftovers
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
You might be think "why is this even a threat?", but I say it has a multitude of amazing features like reliable recovery, a fantastic ability and most importantly amazing bulk, 110/ 110/ 110/ 170/ 110/ 60 stats is nothing to laugh of, this beast from space is like Crocune but with reliable recovery, it only fears physical Darks like Scragy and even then hurts like a truck and good ol' toxic, don't believe? See this:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pandora-350cup-892828

Was going to give arguments, but noticed the ban!

RIP Offense :)
Honestly I am really suprised that spritzee isn't banne also theres one hole in you statement in the fact that cm spritzee runs through stall with ease. In addition there is no surefire way to knocking it out afaik which like I said draws a lot of paralells to bw ru cress with an even better typing and even more bulk.

Spritzee is still suspect, it just has not been decided on. No one has given argument about the pro-ban side of things, and Darumaka and Pawniard were overpowering enough that I felt they needed to go instantly.

Azajsjsjfweirg.png

I'll be helping TBK with tiering decisions and the threatlist from now on, so we can hopefully get this metagame as balanced as possible.

What are everyone's thoughts on Gothita? Possessing an interesting stat spread of 90/60/100/110/130/90, Gothita can use an array of coverage moves to trap and remove walls such as Slowpoke for sweepers like Rufflet and Drilbur to go on unimpeded. It has pretty good bulk too, which means it won't die to weaker things and can pull its weight against offense as well.

Last edited:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pandora-350cup-893228

Guys I've done it. I've become satan.
The set I'm referring to, of course,

Marill @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Encore
- Scald

This is the most effective trapping set I can really think of (except maybe gothita). Between it's superb defensive typing and good 140/100/100 bulk, it can trap a wide variety of threats. Great way for stall teams to break opposing stall.

About Spritzee, while I was initially pro-ban, I now see it really just isn't banworthy. It's a great cleric, sure, and the CM set can blow through offense, but it can be taken down pretty easily by a team that isn't just 6 attackers. Stall, Semistall, balanced, and even well build HO can easily get through it.

EV

Banned deucer.
You should totes update the OP and remove/replace any mentions of Darumaka and Pawniard. :)

You could sub in Scraggy and Zorua as Physical Dark-types with a strong Knock Off and Delibird Rufflet as a new Hustle threat.

Just had a good match here:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pandora-350cup-896481

I'll share some of my sets:
Swirlix @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Substitute

Self explanatory. Very easy to setup with its 124 / 132 / 114 defenses. Sub is here for status protection. Jolly is unneeded because Timid Abra hits 504 Speed and you have 590 Speed with Adamant.

Cranidos @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

Cranidos has such a high Attack that a Scarf set is natural. It hits 546 Speed after the Scarf boost. Mold Breaker EQ hits Bronzor and Zen Headbutt takes care of Fighting-types. Not even Spritzee is safe, despite the lack of Life Orb:
252 Atk Cranidos Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spritzee: 259-306 (50.1 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

A deadly set:

Smeargle @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Mean Look
- Imprison
- Transform
- Spore

A well known Smeargle set in 1v1, but now in 350 cup it actually has the stats to pull it off. Maximum investment base 150 speed means you'll be able to spore lots of threats before they even move, and if they get anything but a 1 turn sleep, Mean Look + Spore + Imprison + Transform will make your opponents struggle to death. The only real counter to this is magic bounce (or the more unreliable sleep talk), though no recovery means it can be worn down pretty fast, especially since even after having its bulk doubled it still isn't anything to write home about.

A little bit obscure but this is the smeargle I use

Smeargle @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Sacred Fire
- Spore

You might be think, "lawl why use over zigzagoon?" Well the reason is sketch, you are not beaten by steel types like zigzagoon and normal fire is really really good coverage. It also has a lot of setup opputunites due to its blistering speed and spore.
+6 252+ Atk Smeargle Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spritzee: 384-453 (106.6 - 125.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Smeargle Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cranidos: 615-723 (223.6 - 262.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Smeargle Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzor: 800-942 (251.5 - 296.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
It's good coverage except it's walled by any Rock-type with good Defense, which is to say, most Rock-types in existence.

+6 252+ Atk Smeargle Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Rhyhorn: 81-96 (15.4 - 18.3%) -- possible 6HKO
+6 252+ Atk Smeargle Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Rhyhorn: 67-79 (12.7 - 15%) -- possible 7HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyhorn Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Smeargle: 441-520 (122.1 - 144%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Smeargle Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Binacle: 111-131 (35.9 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252+ Atk Smeargle Sacred Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Binacle: 46-54 (14.8 - 17.4%) -- possible 6HKO
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Binacle Razor Shell vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Smeargle: 375-442 (103.8 - 122.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Smeargle Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Larvitar: 142-168 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after burn damage (that's only if Larvitar is burned when it comes in)
+6 252+ Atk Smeargle Sacred Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Larvitar: 118-139 (34.6 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage
252 Atk Guts Larvitar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Smeargle: 324-382 (89.7 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Bunnelby: 76/74/76/64/74/114
these stats are incredible with huge power and a decent movepool (earthquake, quick attack, return, brick break, etc.) it even has decent mixed bulk if you want to set up or run assvest.
Sewaddle: 90/106/140/80/120/84
These defenses are amazing. he also four times resists earthquake as well as resisting water, electric, and fighting, though his weaknesses suck
Here's a calc for you
252+ Atk Cranidos Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sewaddle: 510-602 (132.8 - 156.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
that's a SE stab head smash from cranidos.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
bunnelby is okay at best, the walls in this meta are unimaginably bulky so base 74 huge power isin't all that much in this meta. Meditite has base 80 and is mediocre from my testing.
ewww sewaddle. I guess he can set up sticky web if you really want it....

What I can't believe is that gimmick pass could be one of the best strategies in the meta...with scolipede still able to pass boosts like always, and virtually no viable mons able to use unaware, there are some mons that with the attack boosts could rip stall a new asshole. I made a team with it that is adrian's team's nightmare, and I also can absolutely destroy many not-adrian-level stall teams with the sheer power. I am going to keep working on teams and trying to find the landorus-I of this meta, eventually I plan to actually tear stall teams to peices with my bare hands :)

90/180/40/130/40/130
Carvanha
is a great Pokemon in this tier. It has Speed Boost making it a fast threat. It has the ability to counter Abra Ryhorn, and Cranidos. Although its bulk sucks, it can outspeed most of the metagame at +2.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
90/180/40/130/40/130
Carvanha
is a great Pokemon in this tier. It has Speed Boost making it a fast threat. It has the ability to counter Abra Ryhorn, and Cranidos. Although its bulk sucks, it can outspeed most of the metagame at +2.
carvanha reaches 504 attack with an adamant nature, I used a banded version as a wallbreaker early in the metas life and it was pretty good when it was able to get in.

Drilbur

Stats: 120 / 170 / 80 / 60 / 90 / 136
Abilities: Sand Force / Sand Rush / Mold Breaker

Possessing base 170 attack, a decent speed tier in base 136 speed, and 2 abilities that make it a complete nightmare under sand, Drilbur is a very real threat in the 350 cup metagame. Sand Rush boosts its already usable speed to absurd levels, while Sand Force makes its earthquakes so powerful that they possess the power to OHKO Spritzee after a swords dance 43,8% of the time without rocks up, and 100% of the time with rocks up. Its bulk isn't half bad either, being able to take most neutral hits favorably with his decent HP stat.

Set:

Drilbur @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Force / Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin / Toxic

Last edited:
One pokemon that needs to be mentioned is Rufflet
140/166/100/74/100/120
Sporting more bulk than Mega Kangaskhan, this bird has great attack and AMAZING ability in Hustle while striking at blistering 120 Speed. It has powerful STABs in Brave Bird and Return, pretty good coverage in Superpower, ability to scout with U-Turn and even reliable recovery in form of Roost (not to mention Bulk Up as setup move and Hone Claws if you care about accuracy).

One pokemon that needs to be mentioned is Rufflet
140/166/100/74/100/120
Sporting more bulk than Mega Kangaskhan, this bird has great attack and AMAZING ability in Hustle while striking at blistering 120 Speed. It has powerful STABs in Brave Bird and Return, pretty good coverage in Superpower, ability to scout with U-Turn and even reliable recovery in form of Roost (not to mention Bulk Up as setup move and Hone Claws if you care about accuracy).
Unfortunately, Hustle and Superpower are incompatible, which means rufflet has NU bird syndrome (Only gets flying/normal coverage and can't hit rocks or steels whatsoever)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Hustle and Superpower are incompatible, which means rufflet has bird syndrome (Only gets flying/normal coverage and can't hit rocks or steels whatsoever)
Oh, too bad. Still, it can scout and has pretty damn amazing Brave Bird. Maybe it can pull off SubBU set with one attack, will try that later

Ditto has base 96 HP.
Pidgeotto can run a decent set of:
Pidgeotto @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
126/120/110/100/100/142
252 SpA, 160 Spe, 96 HP
Air Slash
Heat Wave
Roost/Defog
U-turn
The set tries to make use of his decent SpA and Special movepool while having enough speed to outspeed and kill all mienfoo take out steels and avoid rhyhorn like the flu with a bit of support/recovery in its moveset. It's also a double whammy because it takes minimal damage from hazards by having an odd amount of HP.
Edit: someone talk about pumpkaboo, axew, vibrava, skrelp, and drifloon

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
Ditto has base 96 HP.
Pidgeotto can run a decent set of:
Pidgeotto @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
126/120/110/100/100/142
252 SpA, 160 Spe, 96 HP
Air Slash
Heat Wave
Roost/Defog
U-turn
The set tries to make use of his decent SpA and Special movepool while having enough speed to outspeed and kill all mienfoo take out steels and avoid rhyhorn like the flu with a bit of support/recovery in its moveset. It's also a double whammy because it takes minimal damage from hazards by having an odd amount of HP.
Pidgeotto is not strong enough to take out most things besides Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Mankey, and even then, why not just rely on a physical set to take advantage of its better Attack? Most pure Fighting-types have the same stats for defenses, except for Mankey, who actually has higher Special Defense, so running a physical set actually makes more sense.

And anyway, Pidgeotto is soundly outclassed by Staravia who has 110/150/100/80/80/160 stats, so it hits harder and faster and has way better abilities (Intimidate and Reckless). Unfortunately it doesn't have Close Combat (has Revenge), but its real niche lies in firing Reckless-boosted Brave Bird and Double-Edge nukes or gaining momentum/causing switches with Intimidate.

E: Doduo is also better, with 70/170/90/70/70/150, but loses the edge that Staravia has with Reckless and is frailer.

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
Slowpoke is so silly bulky. Its stats are 180/130/130/80/80/30. Like, damn. From calcing shit, it's bulk is around Spritzee's with a 252/252+ SpDef spread. A full physical spread would be insane too. Assault Vest is also an interesting idea thanks to Regenerator. Oddly enough its physical attack is its good offensive stat, and it's pretty solid at 130. It also gets decent coverage with Earthquake, and Normal / Water has ok coverage as well. Support Movepool is also pretty neat for nonvest sets, along with access to reliable recovery in Slack Off.

tl;dr Slowpoke for being in first post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)