Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Opinions on what the 6th pokemon for my team could be.

Team so far:
Mega scizor- bulky SD +roost
Latios- defog, hp fire
Conkeldurr- assault vest
Landorus- physically defensive SR setter
Rotom-w - specially defensive
A physical wall breaker for Scizor would be useful. Something like BD Azumarill could help. It patches up your weakness to a few sweepers (Zard X and Gyarados) as well as break down physical walls for Scizor to clean up late-game. Not to menton you have Conkeldurr to deal with Ferrothorn and Rotom-W, two of the most annoying Pokemon for BD Azu.

Try the RMT section of Smogon. http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/xy-ou-teams.261/
You will get far more detailed help. (In theory).
As a Rater, I would ask you to please not direct people with incomplete teams to RMT, considering posting such teams is explicitly against the rules.

So I'm EV training a Chandelure and was wondering if I can get some opinions on which spread is the better spread just at first glance. The Chandelure is holding Assault Vest and this is a spread meant for Lv 50 as its my in-game one I'm currently EV training.

Its Modest 31/0/30/30/30/30

Spreads:

52 HP / 248 SpA / 184 Spe / 24 Extra EVs to spread which are currently in SpD but can be moved elsewhere

HP 142
Attack 54
Defense 110
Sp. Atk 215
Sp. Def 113
Speed 123

or

76 HP / 248 SpA / 184 Spe

HP 145
Attack 54
Defense 110
Sp. Atk 215
Sp. Def 110
Speed 123

Really willing to consider other options so long as it has the same SpA and Spe unless lowering SpA would give some benefits.

Trying to find a HP amount at Lv 50 so it can switch into SR up to 5 times as well as giving it the best amount of bulk I can as its team needs its typing and it can win some otherwise unfavorable matchups with AV. While still having enough physical bulk to be able to live Aegislash Max attack Shadow Sneak after SR at full health near all the time.

I've been doing alot of calcs with different special attackers and it seems which tanks betters seems to vary.

Also when investing in HP in general as long as HP isnt dividable by the SR amount f.e. making sure HP for a regular mon isnt divisable by 8 will SR do the same damage always while giving an extra turn of switching in? Or does it go beyond that?

Last edited:
Is lucario still able to run a decent mixed set? I was thinking of trying att + Satt EVs with last into speed, running agility... i'm just not sure how well it could go.

Agility and Close Combat, just not sure on the other two moves. Flash Cannon? Bullet Punch?

Is lucario still able to run a decent mixed set? I was thinking of trying att + Satt EVs with last into speed, running agility... i'm just not sure how well it could go.

Agility and Close Combat, just not sure on the other two moves. Flash Cannon? Bullet Punch?
You're probably better off running a physical set with SD, close combat, e-speed and something to to hit aegi (pls ban).

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What are the EV Spread for Offensive Mega Venusaur? I'm using a modest nature, so i need to know what EV's to train it in.
I prefer this spread, as it outpaces Jolly Azumarill, Jolly Mawile, and Rotom-W while maintaining enough bulk to beat Keldeo + Azumarill.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyl
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'd go with 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe

Jolly Azumarill and Mawile are rare
Fair enough. I just feel better safe than sorry, especially when the 80 HP EVs don't help it do anything notable in the grand scheme of things.

If you want to be safer against Rotom-W, who often tries to Volt Switch out instead of hard switching, I'd use 100 Speed EVs. It all depends on how your team is structured/what support it needs.

Anyone have an idea of a pokemon to build around that isnt so popular? Im getting sick of using and fighting the same things all the time.

Anyone have an idea of a pokemon to build around that isnt so popular? Im getting sick of using and fighting the same things all the time.
Just make any team you want and play with it. Pick a pokemon that sounds fun, and then build a team around it.

Saying your sick of using and fighting the same things all the time is not really a legitimate complaint. Any game which has a structure like "pick X number of characters to play from a pool of Y characters", in which each of the characters operates differently, is always to gravitate to a meta in which players tend to use the strongest characters. If you want to win, that's what you do. Pokemon is like this and MOBAs like League of Legends are like this. If you want to play with characters that have been determined not to be the strongest, then you have to accept that you will probably not always be winning, and, in fact, you may lose a lot.

If you find the OU meta stale, then try other metas, like doubles, triples, UU, RU, or LC.

Hi everyone I was wondering what the best spread would be for a bulky dragon dance dragonite. I am planning on using roost, ddance, dragon claw and espeed an a lum berry. Thanks.

I'm currently EVing a Litwick for AV Chandelure. Was wondering regarding speed w/ a Modest nature what would be a good place to hit that way I can determine what to do with the rest of the EVs but the Speed is what is troubling me the most as idk what I want to outspeed.

Whar exatly does "genie-spam" mean?, Im well aware that it has something to do with thundurus/landurus, but they seem to have very diffrent roles.

Iv really been enjoying my parashuffle Dragonite latly. Although I feel there might be better teammates for it than im using. Is there any Mon that takes advantage of paralysis, like Venoshock does poison?

Hey guys, could someone tell me why people think the Swords dance+King's shield set is so bad? I don't know really, I've never run aegislash, and I probably wouldn't want to eue

Hey guys, could someone tell me why people think the Swords dance+King's shield set is so bad? I don't know really, I've never run aegislash, and I probably wouldn't want to eue
It's not bad per se it's just that aegislash relies too much on shadow sneak to sweep which is often too weak and it fails to hurt defensive teams. Aegislash is normally more useful nuking shadow balls and finishing them off with shadow sneak than setting up SD's.

Also, King's shield leaves him wide open to burns which he doesn't care as much about when he runs mixed.

It's not bad per se it's just that aegislash relies too much on shadow sneak to sweep which is often too weak and it fails to hurt defensive teams. Aegislash is normally more useful nuking shadow balls and finishing them off with shadow sneak than setting up SD's.
Also, King's shield leaves him wide open to burns which he doesn't care as much about when he runs mixed.

That's a lot less reasons than I thought after seeing all the hate people get on gamefaqs for running it.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
You're stuck with Shadow Sneak as your only STAB and anything bulky enough to take a +2 one (not that hard) will one shot you since you're exposed in Blade form after using it. You're also hilariously easy to wall for Stall/Balance teams.

vroony, ks + sd aegislash is bad because:

-it only has room for two attacks, so it either lacks strong stab or the coverage to beat some of its checks
-it's slow and outsped by a lot of walls since it doesn't run speed investment
-it's weak because it runs leftovers and not life orb

all of these problems can be remedied by running the max speed sd 3 attacks + life orb set, which is much better.

also this is kind of a side note but in general gamefaqs is a pretty mediocre place to get your competitive pokemon knowledge from, smogon is better in general :toast:

You're stuck with Shadow Sneak as your only STAB and anything bulky enough to take a +2 one (not that hard) will one shot you since you're exposed in Blade form after using it. You're also hilariously easy to wall for Stall/Balance teams.
>implying I'm an aegislash even when I've slapped scizors all over my sig

vroony, ks + sd aegislash is bad because:

-it only has room for two attacks, so it either lacks strong stab or the coverage to beat some of its checks
-it's slow and outsped by a lot of walls since it doesn't run speed investment
-it's weak because it runs leftovers and not life orb

all of these problems can be remedied by running the max speed sd 3 attacks + life orb set, which is much better.

also this is kind of a side note but in general gamefaqs is a pretty mediocre place to get your competitive pokemon knowledge from, smogon is better in general :toast:
Oh, thanks both of you. Don't mind me, I'll these as copypasta for the darker parts of the internet.

Also, smogon is better as a competitive battling forum, but gamefaqs is much more lax about posting rules.
(there's less smogon elitism too LOL )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)