Counter That Doubles Team #2! (Team #1 Submissions!)

I don't think Nollan and Blood Totem are ever going to finish lol, so we might as well start Round 2! :]

Approved by Pocket
Art by Based Art God, Bummer
OP Stolen from BlankZero

Welcome to the Counter That Doubles Team Project! In this thread, we will attempt to create not one, but two competitive Doubles teams which are perfect counter-parts (pun intended) to each other, then at the end of it all, pit two players against each other to test the teams out in a Best of Three setting!

The Goal:
The goal of this project is to foster more creative Teambuilding in the community, as well as give us a more advanced setting with a higher skill cap to test more outlandish ideas, used to create counters to common Metagame trends. This could include anything from item and EV changes, to full on counterteam sets with custom moves not seen anywhere else! The secondary goal is to have fun and make this a regular thing outside of Battle of the Week and Tournaments, as a more laid-back, but still competitive atmosphere.

The Setup:
We will begin the process by nominating and voting for a single Doubles core to be used to mold our first team. The player whose core is selected will be chosen as Player 1. We will then nominations/voting for the second team that will counter the first core. The player's core chosen here will decide our Player 2.

Once we have our Players selected, each of them will select their own Retainer, or second. This person will be responsible for carrying out the Bo3 Match at the end, should the other player John or be otherwise incapacitated. This will ensure we have a nice, quick and clean match at the end without a bunch of Johning.

The Process:
In a Counter Teambuilding Exercise, there must be an order to things. Otherwise, you end up with one team and one counterteam, instead a paired match. To do this, we will alternate picks between the two teams in a balanced manner in order to not run the risk of over preparing one team over the other. The simplified version of this will be the following (abbreviating Player 1/2 to P1/P2):

P1 Core, P2 Core, P2, P1, P2, P1, P1, P2, P2, P1
Bold indicates rounds that are complete.

This gives both teams an equal footing as far as picks and EVs are concerned. It basically turns it into a really big, more competitive CCaT overall.

The Thread Rules:
  1. Rounds will last 3 Days each. I know this project is going to take a bit of time, but we have all the time in the world to make sure we have 2 great teams and a great match up at the end of everything. (Note: This may be a little longer depending on how long it takes to get submissions)​
  2. Players selected MUST use the teams at the end of Teambuilding and may not make extra revisions on their own. No exceptions.​
  3. Retainers may Ghost with their Player during the Bo3 match. I know it's going to happen regardless of any ruling, so I figure why not just allow it anyway. There will be no other Ghosting allowed, nor will there be any Name Changes. Players must battle on their own accounts.​
  4. The Bo3 Match WILL include the CURRENT rulings and suspects. If we go super long on this and end up having a new suspect during the building or the match, they will not be considered a part of the exercise. For example, if we suspect Landorus-T during the build, and both teams have it on their teams, they won't be forced into changing that mon. We will be using all of the current suspects, banlists and clauses as of the time of the OP.​
  5. Players will have 2 Vetos to use during teambuilding. This is to prevent Troll Picks or otherwise distracting and destructive nominations from being included in the final team. A player will be allowed to use their vetos after voting has finished to deny that Pokemon from being included in the team. Should this happen, a second vote will begin, using the exact same nominations, minus the Veto'd Pokemon. Should there only be 2 Nominations that round, there will be no vote, and the other Pokemon not veto'd that round will automatically be accepted. Players MAY use BOTH of their vetos in the same round should they choose to do so and a Veto may not be overturned once it is used. However, Players will only have 2 Vetos to use for the entire exercise, so they should reserve them until they are actually needed. Vetos should not be used against a pick just because the Player doesn't like that Pokemon if it was a legitimate pick, but final decisions will be ultimately left to the Player's discretion.​
  6. Please keep shitposting to a minimum. I know this is a general Smogon rule already, but I'm trying to keep this a serious thread, even if I'm laid-back about most rules in general. this means: No open flaming of sets/persons. No arguing over the details of a specific set or idea; take it to PM/VM please. No "lol ur bad"-type posts. Do not attack someone just because you don't like a set. Instead try and help them fix/improve it. No one-liners. If you have to ask yourself, "Is this a good post?", you might need to relook at it a bit. I'm not going to be a hardass about this rule, but I do want serious discussion in here. If I have to try, so do you.​
The Battle Rules:

Evasion Clause ON
OHKO Clause ON
Sleep Clause OFF
Item Clause OFF
Species Clause ON
Moody Clause ON
Soul Dew Clause ON
Endless Battle Clause ON
Team Preview ON
Timed Battle OFF
The Players/Teams:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Tailwind
- Follow Me

Amoonguss @ Mental Herb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Sunny Day
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder

Thundurus @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 140 HP / 136 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Waterfall

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Waterfall
- Low Kick
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flash Cannon
- Taunt
- Protect

Last edited:
Alright, it's late, but I'm going to open submissions for Team 1's core. Remember, this will most likely be what defines our first team, so make sure to chose wisely! Also, if you do decide to submit a core, make sure you're actually going to be committed to battling when the time comes :]

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Might as well kick things off. Explanations might come later idk...

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 80 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Follow Me
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Safeguard

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Ice Beam

SPREAD SPAM:

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
ability: Blaze
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Overheat
- Protect

Sylveon @ Sitrus Berry
ability: Pixilate
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
nature: Modest
-Hyper Voice
-Hidden Power Ground
-Moonblast
-Protect

While douschey, these two together are really annoying when it comes to countering them, as they decimate each other's checks. Charizard Y roasts the Steel-types/Amoonguss that beat Sylveon, and Sylveon threatens Terrakion/Tyranitar/Latios/Goodra/Politoed etc. In addition Hitmontop and Aegislash have a very hard time using Wide Guard with there single-target STAB attacks, so the countering team will have to use some worse Pokemon if they want to fill that role. HP Ground hits Tran, but i see Shuca Tran as one of the first counters to this but tran is 2 easy to beat nowadays so nbd.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While using a joke-ish tail wind team, i managed to find an offensive core that is surprisingly effective and can dismantle teams.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Protect
- Focus Blast

I am still testing out the move sets but so far its been working well. Mega Gardevior is an under rated threat imo and although it has strength, it has two main flaws: middling speed, and steel types (and bad ph def). So i gave it standard hyper voice, protect and psyshock (for yzard and amoongus). I chose Focus blast instead to hit heatran, but other moves could be used there such as will-o. Modest is used for added power. Hydreigon is to set up tailwind and to hit steel types for gardevior. The reason i dont have dragon coverage is because i'm mainly hitting steel types and dark pulse is very spamable anyway. They mostly cover each others weaknesses, gardevior scares fight and dragon types, whilst hydreigon hit steels and ghosts.

This core does have weaknesses but thats the rest of the team is for. Just realised this is similar to lolk's (tw yzard + mega gard would be amazing)

Last edited:
Cinccino @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- After You
- Tail Slap
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Pin Missile

So when thinking of this core what went through my mind is "How can I make Mega Heracross more of a threat than it already is". I came up with two solutions, 1) increase its Speed, and 2) use Trick Room. As you can see I opted for option 1, but in a rather unconventional way. The whole idea behind this team is to give Heracross a nice base 115 Speed stat to compliment its whopping base 185 Attack. Cinncino doesn't lose much by opting out of attacking, especially considering what MHera does to teams, so this worked well.. The real beauty of this core is how well it can adopt to the various team styles in Doubles.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Tailwind
- Follow Me

Obviously the aim is set up a DD with XZard while Togekiss redirects attacks and stuff. Zard EVs beat scarf lando whilst toge outspeeds skymin. Togekiss is using Aura Sphere because Bisharp is a huge slut. It also helps to slam the tran.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Sunny Day
- Protect

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

SubTran is a fantastic mon with a handful of flaws. There are two specifically that I'd like to talk about. first is its 4x weakness to Ground-type moves, as well as a number of popular Earthquake users that outspeed it (this is true to a lesser extent about fighting-types as well). Secondly, it can do pretty much nothing against Rain or bulky Water-types.

This core takes care of both of those flaws. Latios is a beast that outspeeds the majority of the tier, landing KOs on all of Heatran's relevant counters (Garchomp, Terrakion, Keldeo, Landorus-T). As for bulky Water-types, Rotom-W gets 2HKO'd by Psyshock, and Suicune and Politoed get 2HKO'd by Draco Meteor. Finally, Sunny Day takes care of rain issues, as well as boosting Heatran's Heat Wave to crazy levels.

Heatran's set is meant to capitalize on Substitute. Shuca Berry lets it survive an Earthquake from just about anything, and have enough HP to set up a Sub. Max SpA is used because all you really want to do is spam Heat Wave, and 96 Spe ensures that you outspeed the vast majority of Togekiss and Rotom-W.
Earth Power lets you hit opposing Heatrans and MegaZard X. Substitute is still great, and puts a huge amount of pressure on your opponent while you rack up damage with Heat Wave.

I have tested this core and found it to be excellent. Sunny Day Latios puts in so much work- it plays mind games with Sucker Punch Kang, it trips up Swift Swimmers, it forces switches for days. There is very little these two mons can't just power through- not to mention it doesn't even take up your mega slot!

Last edited:

Blizzard

@ NeverMeltIce
Lolk

I'm kind curious to see how a weather team will work in such a project. Cool core though c:

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
totem is a cool kid :^)

Arcticblast edit: just because he has the best core doesn't mean he's cool >:(

Laga edit: cooler than u :]]]

Last edited:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Deoxymoron

In it to see the weather war

Zard X is cool too though, I just don't like choosing Mega so soon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)