XY OU First 6gen team, +1400 UPDATED

INTRO

Hey guys, I used to play OU back in 5th gen, but in 6th gen i played only VGC, but since next month the rules will be changed, there's no point in playing it anymore. So I decided to get a little more into 6th gen OU, I tried a lot of teams just to know the new pokemons sets that are beeing used, and ended up putting the following team together.

P.S.: Please don't start a discussion about VGC.

THE TEAM

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

First, I decided to use a Water-Grass-Fire core, back in 5th gen and in vgc I used a LOT of Rotom-W, but I decided to go to a more offensive option. Secret Sword is an obviously STAB choices, and with the burn chance, I think Scald is better than other water moves. The Sub/CM/Leftovers combo works very well on him because of its type and its speed, so usually after a 2 or 3 CM, I can sweep the opponents team. I went modest because I think the extra power is valuable, only once I losed the game because Keldeo was killed by a garchomp. I have nothing to say about the ev's, if there's anything smarter, please tell me

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

The second and most deffensive part of my core, Ferrothorn has always been on my teams, either it is VGC or 5gen OU. So, pretty standard moveset, Power Whip for the water types, gyro ball for almost anything else and for its 100% accuracy. Leech Seed and Leftovers so I can recover some HP, and Protect to garantee a better recovery, and pretty much making my opponent switch due to Leech Seed damage. Relaxed to boost my defense, and the ev's allow him to take some special hits, since I don't really have a special wall in my team.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Me First

To finish my main core, Talonflame. Great for the speed and the priority, has won me a game when I was 1-4 by just using Brave Bird (one of my opponent's pokemons only had 5% HP, i Talonflame died with the last recoils, but made me won anyway). Flare Blitz is the only fire type attack in my team. U-turn is great so I can keep the momentum at my side, I lead a lot with lalonflame so I can either 0KHO my opponent, or switch with U-turn, Me first mainly to revenge kill dragons. The Choice Band is there to maximize his damage output, since his attack is not that great. Pretty standard ev's and nature.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

One of the pokemons I tried when i came back to OU, knock off is just too powerfull, crippling many pokemons, and with a LOT of damage. Sucker Punch is for the priotity, and Iron Head for coverage. If I can get one sword dance up, or defiant activates, Bisharp can almost win me the game. And I found a lot of opportunities to set up in predicting switches and moves trying to avoid Sucker Punch. Life Orb for the extra damage, so as my ev's and nature.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

Used to have a Thundurus with taunt thunderbolt and HD ice, but I needed a realiable way of dealing with SR so my Talonflame could do his awesome work. Latios still provides me with eletric coverage, and Draco Meteor deals with dragons instead of the former HD ice. Psychock for coverage and to deal with fighting and the few poison types in the format, and obviously special walls. Life orb for a better damage output, standart and ev/nature.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

I was finishing this team when I realized I still had no Mega, and also no Rock type move! So, Mega Ttar came for the rescue! Crunch and Stone Edge are there for HUGE DAMAGE, and EQ for coverage (and also a lot of damage). If I can manage to get one or two DDs, the game is almost over thanks to its natural bulk (specially in the sandstorm), and again, between switches and Thundurus's taunt, I have a lot of opportunities. Usually, I switch Ttar in when I expect some Rock move (on Talonflame or Thundurus), and DD when they (usually) switch. The ev's and the nature are so i can outspeed almost anything after a DD, but if someone has a better spread, I'd love to see it.

CHANGES

• Instead of Latios, I used to have:
Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

• My Ferrothorn had rocky helmet and SR over Leftovers and Protect, i changed so I could have more longevity, and I can now fully use defog without wasting my own rocks.
  • Instead of Me first, I had Steel Wing, but other than Diancie (who is 4x times weak), even a super effective hit did less damage than a STAB Brave Bird/Flare Blitz.

WHAT I MIGHT CHANGE

Some things that I think could change and I am looking for some help in here:
  • Talonflame is great, and really valuable, but my initial Water-Grass-Fire core isn't working with him, he is too frail for me to switch him in, so I can't fully explore this core.
  • Also, since Talonflame is my ONLY fire type attack, if he gets KO'd, I have almost no way to deal with some bulky steel or grass types.
  • Ferrothorn is not beeing as usefull as it was, so I'm almost taking him out, and changing the main core. He has great value in switch-ins, but it is pretty much that.
  • Thundurus beeing mixed between support and attacking might not be the best choice, maybe a more bulky version with leftovers would work better, or a move offensive version with other attacks.
  • The ev's spreads certainly could be better

CLOSING THOUGHTS

This team began with it's main core, and other bunch of pokemons I wanted to try out, I was honestly surprise that it worked that well (I just breaked the 1400 on showdown's ladder). I think it could get some work on the syrnergy since I haven't worked a lot in the building process, and I am pretty new to this gen OU and some changes from last gen surprised me, like how I didnt have much trouble with entry hazards, so I didn't use a spinner or defog on my team. Anyway, hope you guys could give me some help to adapt this team to the new metagame, I am open to ANYTHING, change moves, spreads, or even pokemons or cores, and of course, thanks for time and help!

P.S.: Sorry for any spelling mistake, english is not my first lenguage, hope I did well.

IMPORTABLE

Any of you guys are more than welcome to try out my team:
Keldeo @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Steel Wing

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

If you try it I'd love the feedback.

Thanks for your time and help!

Attachments

Last edited:

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Hey there Alan Alonso, this is a very solid team you have here. There is not really a lot to say, and your offensive core seems to function very well. Becuase of that, I'm not going to suggest any major changes to the team, but rather suggest some minor changes to your movesets and EV spreads, that I think would improve the general performance of this team :toast:

First off, your Ferrothorn is atm your "glue" to your team, and it checks the pokes the other Pokes can't handle. Therefore I would suggest running Leftovers > Rocky Helmet. This significantly increases it's longlivety, as the recovery from Lefties in addition to Leech Seed makes Feroo hard to take down. In order for Feroothorn to check physical attackers like Garchomp, I would also suggest running a more mixed EV spread of 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD. Lastly, I would consider running Protect > Gyro Ball, as Leech Seed damage generally does it for Feroothorn's offensive presence, and the extra recovery can be crucial, but this is just a personal taste.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed / Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe / 31 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball / Protect
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Your team is very weak to Thundurus at the moment, as it comes in and revengekills 4/6 of your pokes. To patch this up, I would suggest running Choice Scarf Keldeo > Calm Mind Keldeo. This is a fantastic lure for offense, as it outspeeds ans kills the likes of Greninja, Thundurus and boosted Megas like Gyarados and Tyranitar. Even though you lose out on the sweeping potential CM Keldeo has, Scarf Keldeo is a fantastic late game cleaner, which your team really appreciates :)

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Lastly, when switching to Scarf Keldeo, I would consider running Superpower > Taunt on Thundurus. I know you like the ability to hider status and set-up, but lacking the ability to revengekill Excadrill and Tyranitar really sucks. Running Superpower also gives you a way of severely hurting Ferrothorn and Chansey on the switch, giving Thundurus great stall and wallbreaking-potential.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower
- Thunder Wave

On Talonflame, I suggest running Adamant > Jolly , as you still outspeed Thundurus, but you have much bigger damage output. Lastly, on pokes without recovery, and especially pokes weak to Stealth Rocks, it's best to have an odd HP number. Therefore I suggest moving the 4 HP EV's on Talonflame and Tyranitar to Defense :)

Thats all I have really, hope i helped with your team :mad:

Last edited:
Hi there, nice team :]

I agree with the ender on most of the sets, however is you still chose to run cm keldeo, a timid nature is almost necessary in other to outspeed the following threats: mega medicham, mega gardevoir, mega zard y, mega pinsir, garchomp, landorus and others.

On mega tyranitar, I would actually suggest running ice punch > crunch this will give you some really good coverage, being able to pick up a ko on landorus, gliscor, garchomp, dragon types in general, dragonite through multiscale at plus one, amoonguss, lando-t and the list goes on.

So, I tried for a while both changes you guys told me.

TheEnder, indeed Ferrothorn works waaaay better now, I'll use him on the set you gave me, with protect. Yeah you are also right that my team is pretty weak to thundurus, but I didn't like Keldeo scarfed, and taunt is way too valuable (I even used him instead of thunder wave for a while). So, I'll keep them with my old sets, but yeah, I gotta try to beat thundurus in some way. and hey, thanks a lot for the odd hp hint ;D

WideTomato, yeah ice punch have a better coverage, but sdk, stone edge has that poor accuracy, crunch is more reliable to finish off opponents... but I guess EQ can do that for most pkmn, and Ice Punch for the flying ones. I'll go with you change too.

So, I tried for a while both changes you guys told me.

TheEnder, indeed Ferrothorn works waaaay better now, I'll use him on the set you gave me, with protect. Yeah you are also right that my team is pretty weak to thundurus, but I didn't like Keldeo scarfed, and taunt is way too valuable (I even used him instead of thunder wave for a while). So, I'll keep them with my old sets, but yeah, I gotta try to beat thundurus in some way. and hey, thanks a lot for the odd hp hint ;D

WideTomato, yeah ice punch have a better coverage, but sdk, stone edge has that poor accuracy, crunch is more reliable to finish off opponents... but I guess EQ can do that for most pkmn, and Ice Punch for the flying ones. I'll go with you change too.
I myself would most likely go with crunch over stone edge, but you said that you added TTar for a strong rock move, so I just went with the analyse and suggested to leave crunch out, so if you don't feel the need of stone miss edge, you're fine without ^^

I myself would most likely go with crunch over stone edge, but you said that you added TTar for a strong rock move, so I just went with the analyse and suggested to leave crunch out, so if you don't feel the need of stone miss edge, you're fine without ^^
Oh, I see hahaaha. Stone Edge is more powerfull, has that great crit chance, and it is the best way to deal with flying types like the thundurus i'm having trouble, char y, etc... Crunch, I already have dark attacks on Bisharp, and it don't even do that much more than EQ after the STAB bonus

Sorry for the bump, but I added Latios to the team and really want to know what do you guys fell about it, and it didn't fell right doing a new thread.

I think it's overall a nice addition to the team, but it does make you a lot weaker to mega pinsir and a lot of other strong sweepers, such as dd ttar and dd charizard, lacking priority thunder wave. But you still have talon to rkill, so you'll be fine.

I think it's overall a nice addition to the team, but it does make you a lot weaker to mega pinsir and a lot of other strong sweepers, such as dd ttar and dd charizard, lacking priority thunder wave. But you still have talon to rkill, so you'll be fine.

Do you think Latias would be better? a roost / healing wish / defog / draco meteor set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)