Skuntank (QC 2/3) (Written)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########

Skuntank's niche lies in that it is RU's most offensively and defensively balanced Defog user. Unlike Shiftry, Skuntank has decent bulk that allows it to take a hit if necessary in order to Defog, and possesses a great defensive typing that leaves it with only a single weakness to Ground-type moves. Unlike Gligar and Golbat, however, Skuntank also has the capability to hit hard with its STAB Dark-type attacks, possessing both Sucker Punch and Pursuit to disrupt the opponent. In Aaddition, it can absorb Toxic Spikes on the switch-in, and can check many of RU's Ghost-, Psychic-, and Dark-type attackers like Reuniclus and Delphox.

However, Skuntank's position as a middle-of-the-road Pokemon does limit it at times. A lack of reliable recovery means that unlike the bulkier Gligar and Golbat, Skuntank cannot function as a reliable wall. Skuntank's offensive potential also pales in comparison to Shiftry's higher base power moves, better mixed attacking stats, and STAB coverage. However, despite these setbacks, Skuntank performs well on teams on which Defog will be its first and foremost priority, and Skuntank remains a very reliable Defog user that is hard for the opponent to take advantage of.

Standard
########
name: Standard
move 1: Defog
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Pursuit / Poison Jab
move 4: Taunt / Poison Jab
ability: Aftermath
item: Black Sludge
evs: 16 HP / 228 Atk / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Defog is the main purpose of Skuntank, allowing it to clear the field of hazards for its teammates. Sucker Punch is Skuntank's most useful STAB, allowing it to serve as a revenge killer for the likes of Delphox, Jolteon, and Trick Room Reuniclus. Pursuit is a good option in the third slot to hit Pokemon that may attempt to switch out against Skuntank, such as Slowking. On the other hand, Poison Jab allows Skuntank to hit Pokemon that could otherwise easily set up on Skuntank, such as Virizion or Aromatisse. Finally, Taunt prevents slower opponents from setting up against Skuntank, and allows Skuntank to be a failsafe counter to Calm Mind Reuniclus. Crunch is an option over the aforementioned moves for a more reliable Dark-type STAB, but generally the utility of Sucker Punch and Pursuit as well as the coverage offered by Poison Jab are more helpful.

Set Details
========

Most of the Pokemon that Skuntank has the easiest time checking and using Defog against are special attackers, so 252 EVs are allocated to Special Defense. The Attack EVs alongside an Adamant nature allow Skuntank to always OHKO Delphox with Sucker Punch, and 12 Speed EVs let Skuntank outspeed and Taunt both Cresselia and Gligar. The remaining 16 EVs go to HP to add just a bit more to Skuntank's bulk. Black Sludge is the best item, punishing Trick users while giving Skuntank a source of recovery. Aftermath is Skuntank's most practical ability, as both Stench and Keen Eye will usually never come into play.

Usage Tips
========

Skuntank's main purpose is to get rid of hazards, so it's usually best to keep Skuntank healthy until hazards are no longer relevant. While Skuntank should be played with care, it tends to be objectively less important than the Pokemon it is protecting from hazards. Therefore, in dire situations, do not keep Skuntank alive at the expense of its teammates, as Skuntank functions best as a support unit and poorly on its own. If the opponent has a Pokemon like Delphox or Reuniclus, however, it's not a bad idea to save Skuntank as both are great end-game cleaners that can be stopped by Skuntank. If Braviary switches in on a Defog, it is usually best to sacrifice Skuntank. Sucker Punch, Brave Bird recoil, and Aftermath recoil will add up fast and allow your teammates to easily handle the weakened Braviary. If you are unsure of what your opponent will switch to, Taunt and Pursuit are almost always the safest choices, depending on how critical it is to get chip damage on the fleeing Pokemon

Team Options
========

Bulky set-up Pokemon weak to Toxic Spikes such as Calm Mind Meloetta and Bulk Up Gallade really appreciate Skuntank's support, as its Poison typing gives it a much more thorough form of support. Both also synergize extremely well with Skuntank by virtue of their typings. Other hazard-weak Pokemon, such as Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder, will definitely appreciate a reliable hazard remover like Skuntank. Non-hazard-centric offensive teams can also utilize Skuntank, as it is one of the few offensively-capable Defog users that does not really care about Sticky Web. Because Skuntank is both bulky and offensive, Skuntank tends to fit best on bulky offense, semi-stall, and balanced teams.

Other Options
########

A more offensive set or a more defensive set is usable, but neither are as good as the listed set due to Skuntank's limited offensive and defensive capabilities, respectively. Haze seems like a cool option, but there aren't all that many stat boosters in RU to begin with, and most are shut down by Taunt. Finally, Foul Play is an alternate STAB option, but Skuntank usually does well enough with its own Attack stat, and is pressed for moveslots as it is.

Checks & Counters
########

***Braviary***: While Braviary takes a lot of damage from Sucker Punch, Aftermath, Recoil, and possible hazard damage, a +2 Braviary is still a scary thing to face, and it can OHKO Skuntank.

***Hard-hitting Attackers***: Skuntank is moderately bulky, but it cannot at all switch into powerful Pokemon like Reckless Hitmonlee and Life Orb Moltres.

***Cobalion***: Cobalion doesn't care about Pursuit, Sucker Punch, or Poison Jab, doesn't mind Taunt too much, and can easily wear down Skuntank with Iron Head or Close Combat.

***Aromatisse***: Aromatisse cannot be Taunted, so without Poison Jab, Skuntank is helpless against it.

***Taunt***: While Taunted, Skuntank cannot both Defog (its main purpose) nor Taunt other Pokemon to prevent setup.

Last edited:
I'd move the HP EVs to Special Defense. In my experience with Skuntank i have used it mostly as a switch in to Ghost and Psychic type Pokemon to defog or Pursuit or w/e and they mostly use special moves. Because of its stat spread (high HP, low defenses) it is also more effective to take on its specific targets and its typing doesn't give it good physical resistances (outside of dark) anyway.

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
Hmm. I see your point, but the HP EVs are nice just for general overall bulk, which would help when Defogging against random physical threats. I feel like Skuntank's priority is more Defogging than checking attackers, because if you really needed a Dark/Poison type just to check stuff you would use Drapion.

I'll ask QC about it.

EDIT: Talked to Spirit, who thinks there should be more Special Defense EVs. I'll try to find a benchmark.

EDIT no. 2: Changing the EV spread to 16 HP / 228 Atk / 252 SpD / 12 Spe. Enough speed for Cress/Gligar, enough attack for ohkoing Delphox, max special defense, and the rest in HP.

Last edited:
Reactions: g

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
I think the set name should be something along the lines of "bulky support" or "trapper" (because of sucker punch and pursuit), not standard.
Sorry for uber-late response, but I chose the name "standard" because it's really the only set Skuntank runs, and Skuntank performs several roles equally well with this set. It traps, revenge kills, serves as a bulky pivot, and most importantly, it removes hazards. It's in such a gray area that I decided that "standard" was the best name for it. The only other good name I could think of was Defog since it's usually the main reason to use Skuntank but overall I still think standard is a better name for it because, well, it IS the standard.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i know this is QC 3/3 but Foul Play in at least OO sounds fine to me just for Doublade =).

Reactions: g
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)