Doubles Overview, Benchmarks, and Q&A Thread—Read before asking!

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm looking for stuff on mienshao. Is there a reason why it's hardly mentioned at all in this forum and in analyses? Or is it just outclassed by hitmontop completely?
is there a specific role that you wanted it to fulfill?
Mienshao @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Wide Guard
- Feint/ rock slide
could be used as a faster hitmontop that has inner focus. this set would use sash and max atk and max speed. outspeed base 100's like kanga to pop em with drain punch or to beat them to the fake out. rock slide could be used to pop base 100 char-y
you could also use a more offensive set that utilizes fake out support as a surprise i suppose
it would be like
Mienshao @ Life Orb/focus sash
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- U-turn/protect/knock off
it gets a lot more moves (stone edge, high jump kick, etc). it can also run regenerator. the offensive one is just really customizable

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
is there a specific role that you wanted it to fulfill?
Mienshao @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Wide Guard
- Feint/ rock slide
could be used as a faster hitmontop that has inner focus. this set would use sash and max atk and max speed. outspeed base 100's like kanga to pop em with drain punch or to beat them to the fake out. rock slide could be used to pop base 100 char-y
you could also use a more offensive set that utilizes fake out support as a surprise i suppose
it would be like
Mienshao @ Life Orb/focus sash
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- U-turn/protect/knock off
it gets a lot more moves (stone edge, high jump kick, etc). it can also run regenerator. the offensive one is just really customizable
See http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-of-legends.3510402/page-4#post-5614898

I'm mostly looking for something to smash extremekiller arceus and m-kanga, since I expect to see a lot of them in this format. But like someone else posted below me in that thread, I can't both quick guard and smash them at the same time, so maybe I should be looking for something else completely.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
See http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-of-legends.3510402/page-4#post-5614898

I'm mostly looking for something to smash extremekiller arceus and m-kanga, since I expect to see a lot of them in this format. But like someone else posted below me in that thread, I can't both quick guard and smash them at the same time, so maybe I should be looking for something else completely.
Mega medicham could be an option as it can hit both arceus and kanga, has fake out and quick guard (qg isnt too standard) and it will always live a hit from ekiller. Infernape has all those moves and has a good chance to ohko 4/0 ekiller with life orb and can live an espeed

Otherwise quick guard keldeo or terrak are just better options. Only terrak ohkos 4/0 ekiller (with life orb) but also resists normal and they both ohko mkanga with life orb

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Mega medicham could be an option as it can hit both arceus and kanga, has fake out and quick guard (qg isnt too standard) and it will always live a hit from ekiller. Infernape has all those moves and has a good chance to ohko 4/0 ekiller with life orb and can live an espeed

Otherwise quick guard keldeo or terrak are just better options. Only terrak ohkos 4/0 ekiller (with life orb) but also resists normal and they both ohko mkanga with life orb
I've already got m-mawile and I don't want to run two megas, even though it's 4v4. Keldeo counts as one of my two legendaries so I'd rather not use one of my spots on him. Terrakion's definitely something that's starting to look attractive though, since Justified also discourages sucker punches from other kangas and mawiles!

finally

I've already got m-mawile and I don't want to run two megas, even though it's 4v4. Keldeo counts as one of my two legendaries so I'd rather not use one of my spots on him. Terrakion's definitely something that's starting to look attractive though, since Justified also discourages sucker punches from other kangas and mawiles!
• Players may use any Pokémon from the National Pokédex. However, only up to two of the following Pokémon may be registered to the Battle Box: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde.
terrak isn't there ^_^
so you could use keld, terrak, +another legend

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
• Players may use any Pokémon from the National Pokédex. However, only up to two of the following Pokémon may be registered to the Battle Box: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde.
terrak isn't there ^_^
so you could use keld, terrak, +another legend
I'm already using kyogre and zekrom though. And the rock slides and EQs that terrakion can do will help against other stuff like mawiles, ho-ohs and lugias, etc. Anyway I think I'm gonna go with terrakion. Just need to find a good quick/wide guarder now!

has anyone had any success with using Gravity in general? whether as the focus of a team (which seems to rarely work out in my experience) or just as some extra support it just seems extremely hard to use. accurate hypnosis/sing seems to be pretty obnoxious but sleep powder or spore seem generally a better idea.

has anyone had any success with using Gravity in general? whether as the focus of a team (which seems to rarely work out in my experience) or just as some extra support it just seems extremely hard to use. accurate hypnosis/sing seems to be pretty obnoxious but sleep powder or spore seem generally a better idea.
The only real benefit I could see from Gravity is getting to spam Hypnosis on something like Darkrai. Other than that I'm not really sure it has any use. I guess if your teammates have really inaccurate moves, or if you really want to spam Earthquake, Gravity would help in that regard.

There are definitely good users of the move; Landorus-T gets it, for example. It's just that the effects aren't necessarily worth having to go through the trouble of setting it up.
I did not know that...but landoge is really an offensive pokemon, so wouldnt you use it as more of an abuser rather than a setter?

finally

I did not know that...but landoge is really an offensive pokemon, so wouldnt you use it as more of an abuser rather than a setter?
when lando-t uses gravity, he uses it kind of like trick room. it's not that he becomes a support pokemon, it's just that you are using him as a way to setup a field condition that he himself will abuse.
offensive trick room setters like reuniclus would be akin to landorus-t as an offensive gravity setter

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would rather use Gravity for the accuracy boost than for the EQ spam; after all, unless you run Telepathy, you're always going to hit your partner, which significantly negates the offensive benefits. Also, unlike in OU singles, not many common defensive Flying-types are actually weak to Ground in Gravity (looking at you, Skarmory / Zapdos) so you might as well use a coverage move. Gengar is almost always Mega so it doesn't make a difference. (Char Y and TFlame are like the only ones but you can hit them just as hard with Rock Slide without forfeiting a turn to set up and then hitting your partner in the process) It would definitely help with Rotom-W but switching in and staying in while Gravity is set up is risky.

I'd like to think that offensive Gravity could be a thing; 100% accurate Hypnosis from Darkrai can help boost a whole slew of now Fighting-compatible Focus Blast special attackers. Things like Keldeo and Thundurus(-T) could get perfectly accurate versions of their most powerful STABs, which would be awesome.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
What page on Doubles? I'm not doubting you, just can u give a link, i dont know what youre talking about lol

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but can't we rename the PS room to Doubles and Triples or something of that sort? Many people who enjoy triples come from dubs. Triples metagame is similar to doubles and I think it would be quite welcoming to new users who are interested in that format.

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but can't we rename the PS room to Doubles and Triples or something of that sort? Many people who enjoy triples come from dubs. Triples metagame is similar to doubles and I think it would be quite welcoming to new users who are interested in that format.
I don't think it will happen cuz triples is kind of an OM right now and will probably get its own room l8r

I just tried Showdown's random doubles option for the first time, thinking it might be good for practice.

Is it running off the same catalogue of Pokemon as the singles version? Nothing on my team had Protect, which is kind of messed up.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I just tried Showdown's random doubles option for the first time, thinking it might be good for practice.

Is it running off the same catalogue of Pokemon as the singles version? Nothing on my team had Protect, which is kind of messed up.
I know a couple users have been working on modifying movesets for Random Doubles. You may have just been unlucky, unfortunately :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)