XY Ubers The best HO to never have Mega Gengar

Now that the thread title has your attention, I wanted to share the team I have been using to ladder for the last few months. The team has done quite a bit, never peaking the old ladder, but hitting #5 and then in the suspect ladder hitting #1 and getting me reqs in 2 days and exactly 80 games

So let's talk about the team. Initially I wanted to build a team with the most momentum possible, and pack as much pressure as possible into each invididual pokemon. I had played with n00b's rmt team, veni vidi vici, but it had several problems with momentum, hp fire geoxern, full stall, and antileads. While deoxys-A is probably the highest power lead for offense, I wanted the most reliable lead because HO really struggles if it doesnt have hazards up, and doesnt appreciate having hazards set against it, which lead to the first member:

Numba1 (Deoxys-Speed) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Taunt

The fastest pokemon in the game, capable of outspeeding the entire tier, including scarfers, bar scarf darkrai/skymin. This is the most reliable way to have stealth rocks set, or taunt other SR users to keep your side clean. Stealth rock, possibly the best move in the game, was the obvious first slot, and taunt was the obvious second move to keep your side clear and not be setup bait. Twave had originally been spikes, but having a clean way to deal with ogre and having something to cripple switchins was far more valuable than spikes ever was. Outspeeding even timid scarfogre and paralyzing it before dying (or setting rocks and dying, if ogre was lead) is incredibly valuable. The last move had originally been Psycho boost, but I wanted a way to win deoxys lead wars, something to hit sash leads with (darkrai, mostly) before dying and something that I can use on switch ins to cripple them before dying (if twave isn't a good way to do so, like krom). Overall I believe that this is the hands down best HO lead that pokemon has ever seen.

Now that I had my lead, and I had my thought process for the general HO team I wanted to build, I needed threats. The three I chose that had the highest chance to sweep and were the hardest to switch into were:

OOH KILLEM (Arceus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

This arceus used to be an adamant lum set ev'd to outspeed max speed genesect (banded) and rayQ, but I was tired of having to mind game mgar to win, and though its not very common, lo guaruntees ohko on blaze with eq. Speaking of EQ, the reason that I use EQ over a fire move is that it hits more, eq still hits the same stuff, though you can risk dying to superpower scizor, but that lets xern sweep for free and that's fine. Shadow claw is to hit ghosts, obvious coverage is obvious, and shadow force is a no because it gives free turns and they can switch what takes the hit and abuse the lo dmg and free switches (especially lando-T). This can set up on other LO ekillers, unboosted scarf ekiller or silk scarf ekiller below ~65/70%, and opposing jolly lo ekillers if unboosted and are 88% or below. It is an insane threat that is very hard to revenge kill, and can often just sweep teams if the other team is weakened from switching into the other threats on this team like blaze and rayQ, which do huge chunks of damage to ekillers checks.

Deerp (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The next mon in my trinity of sweepers. The evs are pretty standard fare, bulky and the evs hit a nice speed tier to outspeed anything unboosted. The evs allow you to take a significant portion of hits and set up geomancy. You can even take 252hp/252+def groudons eq AND mega scizor bullet punch without dying with these evs (mscizor will do ~50-55% with standard ubers sets) if you know theres no more priority on their team. The coverage moves are fairly straightforward, hp fire for scizor/ferro, and psyshock for blobs/poisonceus/mega gengar/ho oh (after rocks, obviously, but if theres no rocks and ho oh is healthy you likely shouldn't be using geo yet). It is the most reliable sweeping set which is why I use it. Xerneas can capitalize on a lot of the things that might stop or sacrifice themselves to stop blaze/ekiller and sweep from there, and is basically the number 1 sweeper of this format, so it's an obvious inclusion.

Smokin' Hot (Blaziken) @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Knock Off

Mega blaziken is my third sweeper, and the best sweeper to not need a choice item or set up. Mega evolved, it has a higher attack stat than rayquaza, allowing it to punch huge holes in opposing teams with low kick, an insane (usually 120bp) stab in ubers. Flare blitz is his other 120bp stab (180 with stab, basically a vcreate coming off of rayquaza but without the stat drops) that does huge amounts of damage to supportceus, xerneas, and anything that resists low kick that isn't water, dragon, or fire type. Speed boost allows it to beat out kyogre and weakened zekrom and can absolutely tear apart teams with no switch ins. Knock off is to hit ho oh rayQ and gira who otherwise take pitiful damage from his dual stabs, and it cripples things he cant kill to allow a teammate to sweep (most notably eliminating gliscors worth if you can knock off its toxic orb on the switch in). The fire typing is amazing offensively since you can't be burned, and fighting stops you taking too much damage from sr. Mega blaze provides far more pressure and momentum than Mega gengar ever will, and is almost never dead in a matchup, unlike megar, who sometimes just becomes dbond fodder or less.

With my core threats chosen, I needed a solid wallbreaker and decent answer to ho-oh/scarfers. Ygod was selected, as the mixed set provided offensive power while giving me a way to punch through defensive cores and weaken offensive threats.

STILL BACON (Yveltal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Pretty standard fare, taunt to stop defensive mons from doing any recovery/status/phasing and to aid xerneas in sweeping (taunting something and sacrificing itself, vs the likes of groudon to let xern just come in and sweep is a fairly common play). Owing as a sweet stab with built in recovery, and sucker punch for priority and the ability to weaken scarfers to let the rest of the team sweep more effectively (especially krom, who likes to come in if something dies to ygod, you just sucker punch sac and send in rayQ or ekiller to clean it up and threaten whatever switches in, or if it volt switches, even better). This thing is what dismantles stall teams and makes sure that the team can continue to apply pressure and force switches.

So at this point some of you may notice I have zero ways of stopping things like xerneas and very few ways to check ekiller and co. For the most part I keep hazards, prevent xerneas from doing much, and stop krom/ogre from running me over by just never allowing people safe/free switchins. This team runs almost entirely on pressure, and almost never switches, momentum being the name of the game. Nothing comes in free and nothing kills without taking prior damage or allowing a teammate to come in that can safely set up and crush face. All of the offensive threats have coverage designed to hit literally anything, even if not lethally. So I wanted 1 last mon as a final cleanup mon, a secondary wallbreaker that just hits really hard, and an emergency button in the case of opposing set up sweepers managing to get going. I give you this team's piece de resistance: FOCUS SASH RAYQUAZA!

Forecast is... (Rayquaza) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- V-create
- Outrage

Aside from a killer nickname, this set looks offhand to be the shittiest thing you have ever seen in your life. When I first started running this people were in disbelief. "How the fuck do you keep focus sash intact?! Why is your xerneas emergency stop a mother fucking dragon?! Are you actually braindead?!" The answer is no, no I'm not. This thing can sd on any ogre thats not locked on ice beam, can take on some supportceus(and most cm arceus formes) with v-create's huge damage and espeed cleanup, and almost always is an insane xerneas bait. Rayquaza comes in, picks off/finishes something with v-create or espeed (without taking damage, or it's pointless) and then nails the xerneas with v-create. If it's a scarf, LO, or geoxern, odds are it is dead right now to extremespeed. if not, and its a clericxern, it sure as hell doesnt want to eat another vcreate and will be forced to kill rayquaza. Now you have a sub-50% xerneas that you can literally pick a threat and kill it with. Ekiller can set up here, blaze kos with flare blitz, ygod can sacrifice taunt it to let xerneas sweep. The opportunities provided by this jank-ass set are amazing. Even just espeeding something 1 more time before dying at 1hp is incredibly helpful to allow something to come in and finish it off or set up. As to the question of a sash mon on a team with ZERO defog and rapid spin, the answer is you fend off hazard presence by pressure. 90% of stall teams will never ever get a chance to sr without sacrificing something, or having rocks on their supportceus, which in turn opens upportunities for other pokemon, as with recover+defog+rocks, they likely just have judgment and ekiller can just go ham.

That right there is the team. The team as a whole functions largely off of absusing the free switch the suicide lead will give you, and just applying pressure straight from the get-go. The moment that deoS dies, you send in the pokemon that provides the most immediate advantage and is the hardest to switch into for the enemy team. This team for the most part almost never switches, pokemon will just do as much damage as is feasible before dying. Against some teams you will have to just make double switches and risk the momentum, but if you nail the double, odds are the momentum you gain from it is more than worth it. Sometimes you have to just keep ygod alive and pressure until ygod breaks down their team for you. Sometimes you just yolo blaziken to just take the free switch from its death. and sometimes you swords dance on their 60% scarf kyogre and use that 1hp rayquaza to clean house as they shake their head. Literally everything on this team bar the suicide lead can clean up a game. You pressure, you play your threats in the right order based on their team, and you clean house with the appropriate mon. It doesnt matter if you win 5-0, or are down 1-5 and that 1 is your +2 60% hp ekiller. Play your cards right and this team will reward you greatly.

Lastly, this is my first RMT, let me know what you think! This team during the suspect ladder had people cussing that they ran into me, shoutout to Chram, alphabeta, and the rest who had to play me repeatedly as I got the last 300 or so coil.

Shoutouts: none really, you all suck. jk, shoutout to n00b for teaching me what ho shouldn't look like and you have a real shoutout in this ygod's name. Shoutout to Mega gengar, pls don't get banned, this is ubers, buddy. You're not even good enough for my team.

I'm feelin lazy right now, but i'll write a threatlist and odd matchups later (like mkang teams and webs, blaze is an allstar who basically wins those matchups but they have odd play/lead patterns I'll go over in the threatlist/matchup stuff)

Importable here!
OOH KILLEM (Arceus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Smokin' Hot (Blaziken) @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Knock Off

Numba1 (Deoxys-Speed) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Taunt

STILL BACON (Yveltal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Forecast is... (Rayquaza) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- V-create
- Outrage

Last edited:
Hey yoman5, Nice team you got there, there's really no big changes that should be made about it, however I have a few suggestions that would make the team better, in my opinion.

I'll start off with Deoxys-S, I think Dual Screens would be the better set in this team since you have 4 really powerful set up sweepers which would appreciate the Reflect / Light Screen support, it also wouldn't change the structure of the team at all. If you do change your Deoxys-S set I suggest you to use the following EV spread: 248 HP / 44 Def / 4 SDef / 212 Spd with a Jolly nature, this allows you to outspeed Scarf Jirachi and have some general bulk in general, which would make it a lot easier to set up both screens and Stealth Rock. As for moves, Stealth Rock is a mandatory hazard that you should always have (especially on Hyper Offense where damage is everything). Taunt is for stopping potential hazard setters to set up such thing, like Groudon, Scolipede and Landorus-T. Light Screen and Reflect are marvelous on this type of Hyper Offensive teams, when you have Screens + Xerneas, you're virtually unstoppable and even if they manage to stop you, you have Arceus in the back to set up as well. And use Light Clay as an item so your screens last a bit more. By doing this you drop Knock Off but I think it's worth it.

Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 4 SDef / 212 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Next, I'd like to make some changes on your Xerneas set, for starters I think your EV spread is a little bit off, Although you have a lot of HP and Xerneas doesn't really need much speed, I think a better spread could be used, this being: 120 HP / 28 Def / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd with a Modest nature. This allows you to give Genesect the Sp.Atk boost before setting up, which is important and you are still overall a bulky as hell sweeper lol. The speed allows you to outspeed Double Dane Groudon and Kabutops (although it's not common) under the rain. As for moves, I highly suggest you to use Thunder over Psyshock, I understand you are trying to hit Arceus-Poison with Psyshock but putting that aside, it is very situational and Thunder allows you to hit common checks like Ho-Oh, Lugia and Kyogre with super effective damage. Next, I also suggest you to use Focus Blast over Hidden Power Fire, although you want to hit Scizor with Hidden Power, it is not needed since it won't be able to 2HKO with Bullet Punch when Reflect is up and your team is kinda weak to Heatran, that makes me think Focus Blast over Hidden Power is totally worth it.

Trait: Fairy Aura
EVs: 120 HP / 28 Def / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

Some minor changes I'd like to bring up are a different EV spread on Yveltal, 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd with a Rash nature, Yveltal in general doesn't really need a +Speed nature since it's not competing with much, if anything Kyurem, but even that is really uncommon and you need the extra Sp.Atk, I chose Rash nature nature because it lowers Sp.Def instead of physical Defense, that is important for Yveltal to take hits as most priority (if not all) users are physical attackers (Scizor, Arceus, Deoxys, Rayquaza etc...). The speed is for outspeed neutral nature base 95s, such as Rayquaza and Kyurem. On Blaziken, I'd use Swords Dance over Knock Off, I think Knock Off should be used on Blaziken only when you don't have a Dark-Type like Yveltal or Darkrai to back it up, taking out Lugia, Giratina, and Arceus Ghost, which in this case you do. Swords Dance allows you to tear down teams, Blaziken is one of those mons that given a free turn can tear most of teams apart. Lastly I'd use Dragon Claw over Outrage on Rayquaza, although Outrage is more powerful, locking yourself into it allows Xerneas to set up, which would be deadly for your team especially.

Nice team, good luck :]

Last edited:

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey yoman5, Nice team you got there, there's really no big changes that should be made about it, however I have a few suggestions that would make the team better, in my opinion.

I'll start off with Deoxys-S, I think Dual Screens would be the better set in this team since you have 4 really powerful set up sweepers which would appreciate the Reflect / Light Screen support, it also wouldn't change the structure of the team at all. If you do change your Deoxys-S set I suggest you to use the following EV spread: 248 HP / 44 Def / 4 SDef / 212 Spd with a Jolly nature, this allows you to outspeed Scarf Jirachi and have some general bulk in general, which would make it a lot easier to set up both screens and Stealth Rock. As for moves, Stealth Rock is a mandatory hazard that you should always have (especially on Hyper Offense where damage is everything). Taunt is for stopping potential hazard setters to set up such thing, like Groudon, Scolipede and Landorus-T. Light Screen and Reflect are marvelous on this type of Hyper Offensive teams, when you have Screens + Xerneas, you're virtually unstoppable and even if they manage to stop you, you have Arceus in the back to set up as well. And use Light Clay as an item so your screens last a bit more. By doing this you drop Knock Off but I think it's worth it.

Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Next, I'd like to make some changes on your Xerneas set, for starters I think your EV spread is a little bit off, Although you have a lot of HP and Xerneas doesn't really need much speed, I think a better spread could be used, this being: 120 HP / 28 Def / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd with a Modest nature. This allows you to give Genesect the Sp.Atk boost before setting up, which is important and you are still overall a bulky as hell sweeper lol. The speed allows you to outspeed Double Dane Groudon and Kabutops (although it's not common) under the rain. As for moves, I highly suggest you to use Thunder over Psyshock, I understand you are trying to hit Arceus-Poison with Psyshock but putting that aside, it is very situational and Thunder allows you to hit common checks like Ho-Oh, Lugia and Kyogre with super effective damage. Next, I also suggest you to use Focus Blast over Hidden Power Fire, although you want to hit Scizor with Hidden Power, it is not needed since it won't be able to 2HKO with Bullet Punch when Reflect is up and your team is kinda weak to Heatran, that makes me think Focus Blast over Hidden Power is totally worth it.

- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

Some minor changes I'd like to bring up are a different EV spread on Yveltal, 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd with a Rash nature, Yveltal in general doesn't really need a +Speed nature since it's not competing with much, if anything Kyurem, but even that is really uncommon and you need the extra Sp.Atk, I chose Rash nature nature because it lowers Sp.Def instead of physical Defense, that is important for Yveltal to take hits as most priority (if not all) users are physical attackers (Scizor, Arceus, Deoxys, Rayquaza etc...). The speed is for outspeed neutral nature base 95s, such as Rayquaza and Kyurem. On Blaziken, I'd use Swords Dance over Knock Off, I think Knock Off should be used on Blaziken only when you don't have a Dark-Type like Yveltal or Darkrai to back it up, taking out Lugia, Giratina, and Arceus Ghost, which in this case you do. Swords Dance allows you to tear down teams, Blaziken is one of those mons that given a free turn can tear most of teams apart. Lastly I'd use Dragon Claw over Outrage on Rayquaza, although Outrage is more powerful, locking yourself into it allows Xerneas to set up, which would be deadly for your team especially.

edgar's going badge hunting LOL

Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Light Screen
- Reflect

- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

Thanks for the suggestions, but not having sash and not having an attacking move is a huge drawback, especially since this is (mostly) a laddering team. not being able to break the sashes of leads is not something I'm willing to do. And I understand being the fastest pokemon in the game it doesn't need too much investment, but I'm not about to drop the max speed. Losing speed ties sucks but knowing you will lose every speed tie sucks more, and bulk isnt necessary when sashed, which I think is the superior option, allowing me to not only set rocks, but cripple something before dying to facilitate a sweeper.

The xerneas set you mention does handle heatran better, but using all 100% accurate moves, while still killing ho oh, most kyogre (and anything that survives is just roaring and literally anything on my team kills spdef ogre after moonblast). My set doesn't like heatran much but heatran is incredibly uncommon, and similarly doesnt like staring down any of my other threats.

Yveltal is max speed to win ygod wars (faster sucker punch) as well as being able to taunt 99.9% of xerneas before geo (except the very bad and only mildly uncommon 252speed timid xern). Not really going to change this, sorry.

Rayquaza's job is to hit as hard as possible, and dragon claw does not fit with this. It should also never be in a position where it needs to use outrage when xern is still on the field, that's just poor play. if rayQ comes in its to finish something off and bait xern, outrage should not really be used if xern is still alive, as killing xern is basically rayquaza's main job. I also need something to actually hit arceus water/rock with, as dragon claw does significantly less damage to supportceus.

Lastly I can not afford to drop knock off, as it's the only thing to hit rayQ, ho oh, and more importantly giratina with. Giratina himself has nothing bar the occasional draco to hit back with, and the usual dragon tail/roar brings something out that again will kill it after knock off. Notice a theme here? swords dance is entirely unnecessary as you almost never have a free turn, and the utlity of knock off as well as the ability to hit and cripple lugia is worth far more than +2 is.

TL:DR your changes are interesting but ultimately would not help the team. I suggest playing with the team before making suggestions like this. It's not a balance team looking for optimized bulk and safety, it's a pressure based HO looking for maximum power and minimum switching. Also a lead that is dead to taunt (or magic coat) is a lead I am not willing to run.

Unless I'm missing something, this team is absolutely (sh)rekt by Ditto, as much of the team is based on creating sufficient pressure to set up strong members. Just my 2c.

Just asking, did you even try out my suggestions?
I have actually tried the screens set, but as nothing needs more than 1 turn of set up and not having knock off is a liability I didn't like it much. I've also tried rocky helmet versions, but I prefer the safety and guarunteedness of knock off sash. The xern set I dislike running focus blast, I have run a thunder set but I prefer this coverage as heatran is not very common and thunder is unreliable outside of rain. I'm not going to try the rayQ changes because I have never felt a need to not lock myself into outrage if I wasnt using vcreate or espeed. The drop in power isn't worth it, and it does less than v-create to many things. I have tried SD blaze before, not explicitly on this team, but I prefer the raw coverage and ability to threaten gliscor to be worth more than swords dance, as blaze gets very few free turns anyway. I suppose I could try the yveltal set, but I prefer being able to be faster than other yveltal for more assured yveltal duels (sucker vs owing etc).

Unless I'm missing something, this team is absolutely (sh)rekt by Ditto, as much of the team is based on creating sufficient pressure to set up strong members. Just my 2c.
Ditto loses to xern above 58% blaze above 70% and you just play carefully with ekiller around ditto, or if you can preserve rayquaza's sash that is a perfectly fine answer as well. ditto stuck on yveltal or rayQ is amusingly bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)