XY OU Random Rain Offense

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Hyper Rain Offense

So I have been experimenting with X&Y amidst my break from competitive battling and the community as a whole. Last year was exhausting for me personally and couple that with a new generation to explore, I felt like I had to lace up those boots and get firing on all cylinders but remain as focused as ever if I wish to make an impact. After a hundred or so battles I have adjusted, changed and completely overhauled my teams in an attempt to find the right balance for the metagame. I've discovered almost anything can come of each turn and teams which appear to be randomly assembled can be the most devastating and successful if played under the right hands.

I have tampered with different rain/sand and random, throw-together teams with each member fullfilling its own role. Rain: Thundurus / Politoed / Kingdra / Greninja / Kabutops / Azumarill / Gorbyss / Tornadus-T. Sand: Tyranitar / Excadrill / Landorus / Thundurus / Latios / Jirachi / Terrakion / Greninja. At first, these were the Pokemon I shuffled around and mixed up without fully understanding the most popular threats and common trends.

As time went on I almost gave up with dedicating a Rapid Spin user because I believe Defog is used so-much-so, that I didn't have to clear hazards myself and looked to find a way to opportunize my onslaught whilst trying to set hazards up and not lose momentum.

Oblivious to what is considered standard, I tend to be self-involved in my own little world and thus usually my team is as far away from normal as you can imagine. Best way to catagorize this team would be glass-cannon, swift swim offense. I will be sharing and consequently seeking advice to help improve my insane rain offense and I promise to keep this short and sweet...

Rain Offense

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Play Rough

Insurance against anything I cannot outspeed. In rain you're looking at one of the most dominating yet underrated Pokemon to this day. I've managed to 2HKO Charizard-Y with Drought active, and almost literally anything which resists my moves because of its sheer power. I replaced Sleep Talk with Encore on my Politoed so I considered Knock Off would give way should I decide to make that change. Nothing really to add that most reading do not already know; simply put, I needed a Pokemon whom poses a threat without having to set up, et whilst still maintaining a powerful threat and forcing my opponent to switch about attempting to tank off its raw strength.

Thundurus (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 144 HP / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Ice]

Effective and designed to maintain weather control with a risky, yet sometimes rewarding set. I don't know about you guys but Hidden Power [Ice] is expected and I feel ashamed when I can't Nasty Plot my way through Excadrill, and with that I main Focus Blast to supress any Tyranitar user looking to outplay me in a one-on-one contest. I could drop Nasty Plot for Hidden Power [Ice] and Superpower>Focus Blast but I'll leave that change open for discussion.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Encore / Sleep Talk
- Haze
- Rest

Force us to use all STalk Politoed why don't you? What a pitty on weather and the nerf it recieved for ruling Black and White to no end. I've no choice but to run Damp Rock to prolong the suffering my opponent has to endure when dealing with the speed and power Swift Swim abusers possess. Often I run Sleep Talk, though given I have Gorbyss and Kingdra to boost, Encore provides me with a free turn to regain any lost momentum because sacraficing Politoed grants me a turn to Dance or Smash.

Kingdra @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 184 SpA / 72 Spe (Or 252/252 w/ 6HP)
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor / Hydro Pump

Arugably rain's most dominenting threat. Speed investment so I can outspeed Garchomp after one Dragon Dance outside of rain. I don't want to concentrate on anything but power so I intend to use as little speed as possible. If I can pass on boosts from Gorbyss then chances are I clean house with sheer force. Otherwise Kingdra picks holes for Kabutops to finish off bulky Fairy-types; who can actually tank Kingdra in rain andoccasionally knock me out.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Swords Dance / Rapid Spin / Superpower

I don't have time to Swords Dance, Rapid Spin and seek out that opportunity to set rocks up, which makes Kabutops' 4th moveslot a mind struggle to no end. Beyond that this thing doesn't dissapoint when it comes to numbers, and that Drizzle + STAB needs no set up to puncture through what Kingdra struggles with. Superpower would help with Ferrorthorn though Water / Rock is reliable coverage together. This set is where I am entirely at the readers discretion and will trial and error until satisfied.

Gorebyss @ White Herb
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Baton Pass
- Shell Smash
- Ice Beam

Basically Gorbyss + Shell Smash in rain needs no introduction. Deadly, and should I doubt any turn where I feel Gorbyss cannot get the job done, for lack of better word, then I will Baton Pass if necessary. Calm vs. Modest was difficult to choose between however often Gorbyss is fairly sturdy enough for one Shell Smas and boasting 114 Base SAtk supports its own capabilities of sweeping by itself.

There you have it. I wanted to keep this simple whilst involving myself in the RMT community and looking forward to hear what you guys have to report. Keep in mind the ladder doesn't tell me half the story of what to expect from the more experienced, solid 6th Generation players and their own teams so feel free to shoot any criticism my way.

Thanks for reading and help,

Taylor

Last edited:
With a combo of a different weather setter + Thundurus(Or any strong electric type for that matter), Thundy can beat a lot of your team if it can get a para up on some stuff and just tbolt it's way to victory. While it could be difficult for them to get a free switch in to it, it will do some damage if it does get a switch in on something like your politoed. I know Thundurus I outclasses Thundy T with it's speed and Prankster ability, but I think Thundy T's Volt Absorb ability will help much more to take electric attacks. Thundy T also has more Base SpAtk so if you really want your speed you can go Agility>Nasty Plot. This is kinda a minor thing since you can handle electric's if you play correctly, but one mistake and they can rip apart your team.
[Edit] Nice team btw, I like it. Good luck

Ice Punch seems totally redundant on Azumarill. What does it cover that isn't already hit hard enough by any of its other moves? STAB Play Rough already destroys Dragons and bulky Grasses bar Mega Venusaur/Ferrothorn, whom aren't threatened by Ice Punch anyway. You're better off running either Double-Edge or Superpower in that moveslot to respectively cover these threats.

Ferrothorn especially looks to be a massive thorn in your side. You're totally dependent on Thundurus' Focus Blast to hurt it at the moment, which isn't exactly a reliable solution. If it has Leech Seed, it can stall out most of your team with ease. As cool as Gorebyss is, I think a Specs Keldeo would be a better choice for this team. In addition to giving you a solid answer to Bisharp and Tyranitar, it packs a ton of immediate power and gives you another way of dealing heavy damage to Ferrothorn.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
oh yeah hi guys im back like nothing happened

I'll try Keldeo and take a chance on more immediate power to see how it helps. Thanks for rates ;o

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Hi Taylor, nice to see you back :)

I'd run Superpower (or Low Kick?) on Kabutops over anything else because you don't really have any other way of killing Ferrothorn outside of Thundurus' Focus Blast. You could also use Aqua Jet to attack without getting hit by Bullet Punch/Mach Punch/Brave Bird. Ice Punch on Azumarril is a waste; Dragons are hit hard by Play Rough and the only things that it hits are Venusaur and Amoongus. The former can mega evolve and recover it's hp while taking half the damage while the former is not OHKO'ed and can switch out while regaining hp via Regenerator; I'd recommend Waterfall or Superpower instead. Keldeo sounds like a good idea but I'd suggest a Magnezone over Gorebyss to counter Ferrothorn (or Skarmory which Kabutops will appreciate) whilst providing you with an additional, last ditch Rain setter:

Magnezone @ Damp Rock
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch/Flash Cannon

A Scarf set would have an easier time sweeping but I don't think that you could afford to be locked into one move and give your opponent a free turn to set up.

Cheers buddy! :)

Taylor

i am alien
Thing about magnezone is I want to lure ferrorthorn in, not frighten him away. So dragon/water provides me with just that and keldeo will prove to be more useful in the 6th slot. With thundurus I can afford not to run zone and I can abuse life orb + cm keldeo and see how it fair.

thnxk for rates I will update thread later with extras but I'm limited on this phone so I'll have to respond fully tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)