(Almost Any Ability) New and Creative Sets thread (No shitty gimmicks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
approved by The Eevee General

op stolen from the most ginger of ninjas: ginganinja

THIS THREAD IS FOR EVERY AAA METAGAME: AAA LC, AAA UBERS AND AAA OU JUST SPECIFY FOR WHAT META YOU ARE POSTING
Standard and common sets are generally effective. After all, that's why they're common and standard. But sometimes a less-common set can be effective. In fact, brand-new sets can be quite effective as well. This thread is for new and creative movesets that can be quite effective, as well as old movesets that have fallen out of favor but have become quite effective in the AAA metagame.

What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.

What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.
If you post a shitty gimmick, your post will be deleted and infracted, NO EXCEPTIONS.

What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in AAA, for the sake of using it in AAA.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractacle or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.
A shitty gimmick is not limited to the above, though. To quote Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it."

Last edited:
Excadrill @ Life Orb/Air Balloon
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
Regenerator is pretty good on pretty much any Spinner/Defogger, allowing them to gain health from hazard damage every time they switch out. I made this particular set a while ago though, so it might not be as good in the new metagame since Skarmory, Suicune and Ferrothorn are common and random Levitators can make Excadrill's life difficult without Mold Breaker.

Alright, I posted this in the old thread, but I think this thing just deserves to be in this thread as well.

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (can be modded to outspeed certain fast threats like keldeo, but w/e)
Quiet Nature (event heatran gets eruption)
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power

Despite me being a sub-par player, this thing took me on its back and carried me all the way to the top 15 on the AAA ladder. It's really the ultimate win-condition, if it's in good health, I basically win, and if not, I basically lose. It hits like a truck, only 1000 times harder; you know something's wrong when it 2HKO's SUICUNE with a resisted hit after poison heal.

On to the set: I basically came up with this set when I felt like trying a sun team on AAA. One of the biggest problems of sun teams in standard play is the lack of an even somewhat good sun inducer; Ninetales kind of sucks. This problem is remedied in AAA, where far more things can use drought effectively. Another problem is that, unlike rain, there are no chlorophyll fire types (as opposed to swift swim water types) to abuse the boosted fire type attacks with. I had a little trouble finding the suited pokemon for the task, so I looked for the strongest fire move possible first, which happened to be eruption. Then I looked at the pokemon who had access to eruption, and Heatran had access to eruption and a 135 base spA stat, so I chose it, gave it chlorophyll, gave it eruption, and it just stuck. The rest of my team has pretty much changed numerous times, whereas this has proven itself time and time again.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo in Sun: 329-387 (101.8 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune in Sun: 267-315 (66 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 387-456 (54.9 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cresselia in Sun: 483-568 (108.7 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios in Sun: 279-328 (92.3 - 108.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
edited out the part about needing multiple replays to post a new creative set. lookin good so far guys, keep it up with this quality

crophy (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I will find/make some replays because I didn't anticipate this thraed but I want to prevent you crophy. Now people like Kit Kasai will say that this thing has little to nothing over suicune however you need to keep stats in mind, while slightly less bulky which is one of the selling point, the emphasis is on the excellent speed tier and the increased firepower. I am not sayaing to use it overother users but that it is not nearly as bad as it seems, other things can be used over pressure but that is what makes suicune so great.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
crophy (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I will find/make some replays because I didn't anticipate this thraed but I want to prevent you crophy. Now people like Kit Kasai will say that this thing has little to nothing over suicune however you need to keep stats in mind, while slightly less bulky which is one of the selling point, the emphasis is on the excellent speed tier and the increased firepower. I am not sayaing to use it overother users but that it is not nearly as bad as it seems, other things can be used over pressure but that is what makes suicune so great.
>excellent speed tier
>not investing in speed
-.- crocune is still better

Procne

Formerly Gym Leader Cyan
One more regenerator because frankly... its a kickass combo.

Hitmontop (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge/Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

As Jaguar360 said, Regenerator works quite well on spinners/defoggers. The set works nicely because it gives Hitmontop the ability to catch psychic types off guard and Sucker Punch if you're brave as well as check spin-blockers... and hit everything else EXTREMELY hard with HJK. And if you miss a HJK, no problem -- just switch out and regain most of the lost health. Stone Edge and Earthquake are there for coverage depending on what your team needs... though Stone Edge is preferable to predict flying type switch-ins. If you prefer more of a special wall and less offense, then the Atk EVs can be put in to Sp.Def instead.

Last edited:
Well, another spinning regenerator

Tentacruel @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock off
- Acid Spray
- Scald

This thing is particularly great because it is one of stalls best answers to Keldeo. Specs Adaptability 4HKOes with Secret sword, giving plenty of time to knock off the specs and make it easier to handle for the rest of the team. Plus, if Keldeo switches out to avoid the knock off, Regenerator ensures you can do it again. It can also sit in front of a suicune lacking sub and acid spray to get rid of those spD boosts faster than it can set them up.

Here's a set I use with a good degree of success:

Entei @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 60 Def / 176 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Substitute
- Protect
- Roar

This set is a good counter against a number of common sets. It thrives with hazards in the field and often forces Magic Bouncers to try to come in and prevent the Roar spam, but Sacred Fire leaves them in a risky scenario unless they're not a fire type bouncer (there's really no reason to use one.) The EV spread allows it to capitalise on its good physical bulk and its ability to check Mega Gardevoir and Mega Mawile (they're still real threats, especially the latter.) 176 Spdef EVs allow it to shrug off many powerful attacks from the likes of Volcarona and Mega Gardevoir's Psychic. Mixed bulk is needed to reliably check Victini and various other Pokemon consistently. The EV spread allows it to outpace Adamant Bisharp, outspeeding it allows Entei to possibly use Substitute on the Swords Dance and phaze it out or hit it hard with Sacred Fire.

Last edited:
I've got another set I've been trying out recently that has worked to a degree of success. It's designed to be a stall-breaker, so sorry if this makes things harder for "some people" *coughadriancough*, but hey, it's a great pokemon and you should probably try it out if you haven't already:

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD (you can run 404 HP, max attack, and dump the rest in speed if you want to)
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Focus Punch
- Mach Punch
- Substitute

What are two things that stall hates? 1. Extremely powerful attacks, and 2. Substitute. You can get a sub up pretty easily against stall by simply forcing switches; from there, they can't burn you, and you're free to spam focus punch on all non-ghost/psychic types (which you have knock off for). Mach punch finishes things off, and priority is helpful on every team, especially tough claws-boosted, STAB priority. But really, the calcs speak for themselves:
252+ Atk Tough Claws Conkeldurr Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 998-1176 (141.7 - 167%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Conkeldurr Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 408-482 (112 - 132.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Conkeldurr Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 313-369 (58.6 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (can't break your subs anyways)
252+ Atk Tough Claws Conkeldurr Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 246-291 (60.8 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (this one needs prior damage, but look at that damage)
252+ Atk Tough Claws Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 296-350 (73.2 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recover (prior damage)
252+ Atk Tough Claws Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 328-388 (81.1 - 96%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (specially defensive variant)
252+ Atk Tough Claws Conkeldurr Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 217-256 (64.9 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (heh)

Yeah go try it out yourselves, maybe it'll work for you, who knows. The point is, I've had success with it, so that's why I'm sharing this set. Although note that you need an answer for cresselia, as it's the one thing that this thing has lots of problems with.

also upon laddering with this set today, I saw 2 chlorophyll eruption heatrans, so does that mean my heatran set was a success?
EDIT: yay 250 posts

Here's one of my favorite wall breaking sets.

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Flower Gift
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Fusion Bolt/Bolt Strike (I prefer Fusion Bolt's 100% accuracy, but Bolt Strike is still pretty good so it's kinda preference based)
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

This set is, IMO, the best wall breaker on sun teams. V create OHKOS just about any wall that doesn't resist it and 2HKO any walls that do. Flower gift's Spdef boost also helps Victini switch in on special attackers like Suicune, combined with the attack boost means that this one ability essentially gives an extra band's worth of damage as well as an AV boost. Fusion Bolt/Bolt Strike helps hit water types hard (although if running Fusion Bolt, a super effective hit does about the same damage as a resisted V-Create), Zen Headbutt is a nice extra STAB move, and U-turn helps build momentum.

Calcs-
252+ Atk Choice Band Flower Gift Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune in Sun: 297-349 (73.5 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Flower Gift Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune in Sun: 382-450 (94.5 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Flower Gift Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock in Sun: 195-230 (53.5 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (You know this thing is almost broken when it 2HKOs one of the best physical walls out there)

252+ Atk Choice Band Flower Gift Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia in Sun: 574-676 (129.2 - 152.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

EDIT: Unaware apparently ignores Flower Gift boost, so Unaware Suicune might give Victini some trouble (Although the Calculator doesn't seem to take that into account)

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 196-232 (48.5 - 57.4%) -- 45.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Proof- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-146079069 (Turn 15-16)

The Suicune's Scald also did more damage than it should have-
+2 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Victini in Sun: 156-186 (45.7 - 54.5%) -- 47.3% chance to 2HKO
+2 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Flower Gift Victini in Sun: 104-126 (30.4 - 36.9%) -- 59.1% chance to 3HKO

Last edited:

Victini @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Fusion Bolt/Bolt Strike (I prefer Fusion Bolt's 100% accuracy, but Bolt Strike is still pretty good so it's kinda preference based)
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

This set is, IMO, the best wall breaker on sun teams. V create OHKOS just about any wall that doesn't resist it and 2HKO any walls that do. Flower gift's Spdef boost also helps Victini switch in on special attackers like Suicune, combined with the attack boost means that this one ability essentially gives an extra band's worth of damage as well as an AV boost. Fusion Bolt/Bolt Strike helps hit water types hard (although if running Fusion Bolt, a super effective hit does about the same damage as a resisted V-Create), Zen Headbutt is a nice extra STAB move, and U-turn helps build momentum.

Calcs-
252+ Atk Choice Band Flower Gift Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune in Sun: 297-349 (73.5 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Flower Gift Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune in Sun: 382-450 (94.5 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Flower Gift Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock in Sun: 195-230 (53.5 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (You know this thing is almost broken when it 2HKOs one of the best physical walls out there)

252+ Atk Choice Band Flower Gift Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia in Sun: 574-676 (129.2 - 152.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

EDIT: Unaware apparently ignores Flower Gift boost, so Unaware Suicune might give Victini some trouble (Although the Calculator doesn't seem to take that into account)

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 196-232 (48.5 - 57.4%) -- 45.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Proof- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-146079069 (Turn 15-16)

+2 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Victini in Sun: 156-186 (45.7 - 54.5%) -- 47.3% chance to 2HKO
+2 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Flower Gift Victini in Sun: 104-126 (30.4 - 36.9%) -- 59.1% chance to 3HKO
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Flower Gift is hardcoded to work only on Cherrim.

Really? That's awkward. I've been using it for so long and I got to high 1300s and low 1400s with it on my team.
Thanks for pointing it out though.
You could always run Tough Claws:
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune in Sun: 262-309 (64.8 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

not as powerful, but still strong

Forgive me for being a novice in this meta, but does anyone run Adaptability Victini with V-Create? Or does the lack of good dual STAB make it not as effective as something like Protean or Sheer Force?

Forgive me for being a novice in this meta, but does anyone run Adaptability Victini with V-Create? Or does the lack of good dual STAB make it not as effective as something like Protean or Sheer Force?
Despite the fact that Victini is considered to be one of the best pokemon in this tier, I don't see it being used very often, so I can't say if anyone actually runs Adaptability Victini. I usually run tough claws instead because V create will only do slightly less damage, but it will also make Bolt Strike hit a lot harder.

Also, do you hate poison heal Suicune? Do you hate poison heal in general? Well then, I have the set for you!

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware/Magic Bounce/Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Block
- Worry Seed
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled

This set is designed to trap poison heal users with Block and then replace their ability with Worry Seed, causing them to slowly die to their own self-induced toxic. Block can also help trap AV regenerator walls like Regirock. Toxic allows it to toxic stall walls and sweepers that don't run a toxic orb/poison heal set. Softboiled is a good recovery move to keep Mew healthy. The EVs maximize physical bulk because I find that physical attackers are generally the most common, and the IVs and nature minimize the damage from Foul Play. Unaware helps Mew stall out set-up sweepers (like Zygarde and Suicune). Magic Bounce could be run instead if trapping walls is more important than checking sweepers. Mold breaker could also be an option if Magic Bounce is an issue. I am aware that this set can be considered a bit too "specialized," but stall teams are very strong in this meta (especially Suicune). Using Mew instead of a different pokemon with a similar set helps with unpredictability since Mew can run pretty much any set, and the opponent most likely won't see it coming until he/she has already lost one pokemon to this set.

Victini @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Calcs-

when I used cb victini in sun, I used chlorophyll so it stood a chance vs. offense. from a pure wallbreaking perspective, i'd probably go with tinted lens, since that ohkos pretty much everything except flash fire mons.

Gale Wings + Brave Bird is one of the most annoying things for offense to deal with. It forces switches so easily and does so much damage that there isn't really much that can come in. I mean, sure, Skarmory is a thing, but Skarm just kills all the offensive momentum that you thought you had. I went looking for a pokemon that could stop pretty much every single gale wings user while providing momentum at the same time, and I think I've found it:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Heat Wave / Defog
- Hidden Power [Ice]

(Don't think this is very common as the only Zapdos's I've seen are Magic Bounce/Magic Guard Zapdos.)
As soon as you get that intimidate off, that Staraptor, honchkrow, or braviary is practically dead weight against you. Either roost up, volt switch out, or predict the ground type and go for HP Ice. The last two moveslots are just there for filler; if you don't already have a defogger/spinner, use defog, and if not, then use heat wave. It's simple, but VERY effective. This thing can also serve as a wall for pretty much any physical attacker that doesn't carry STAB ice moves or stone edge. It may seem kind of niche, but I have found that it is one of the most important components for all my AAA offensive teams.

Vaporeon @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Wish
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Scald

Poison Heal Vaporeon is so good in this tier it's not even funny. Wish + Baton Pass means you can pass safe wishes so that your sweepers can have a second chance, while Wish + Protect + Poison Heal means it never dies itself. In fact, if the opponent is burned/poisoned and can't do 75%+ damage to vaporeon, it will be unable to touch Vaporeon and eventually succumb to its status. It can check a variety of things like Keldeo and Kyurem, and thanks to baton pass can beat every type of CroCune in a PP stall war. It's just in general fantastic glue for a team, and should be used far more often in my opinion.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-138929199
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-141683741

Azelf Life orb/focus sash
ability: protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 hp
Jolly nature
- Fire punch
- Thunder punch
- Ice punch
- Knock off / u-turn

I use a physical set for ice coverage as azelf doesnt learn ice beam, a special set is equally as viable though. Azelf has such good coverage that protean is perfect for it.

Not really creative, also probably not new, but this set is the bane of all teams lacking a Mega Venu/Amoonguss or a faster Gale Wings/Prankster user:

Breloom @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Spore
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed

Replay demonstrating how cancerous Prankster Breloom is to an unprepared team:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-152261239

Also a more creative/niche set that forces a looooot of switches:

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Haze
- Pain Split

Completely cockblocks LO Sheer Force Gengar, cripples lotsa shit on the switch in, has a nice spammable move, haze, and pain split to abuse dat low, low HP. Srsly this set is total sex... albeit niche but it's a hella fine niche to have...

Not really creative, also probably not new, but this set is the bane of all teams lacking a Mega Venu/Amoonguss or a faster Gale Wings/Prankster user:

Breloom @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Spore
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed

Replay demonstrating how cancerous Prankster Breloom is to an unprepared team:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-152261239

Also a more creative/niche set that forces a looooot of switches:

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Haze
- Pain Split

Completely cockblocks LO Sheer Force Gengar, cripples lotsa shit on the switch in, has a nice spammable move, haze, and pain split to abuse dat low, low HP. Srsly this set is total sex... albeit niche but it's a hella fine niche to have...
IMO Focus Punch is probably a better choice over Drain Punch since you're gonna have a sub up a lot. You lose a bit of recovery, but doing double damage is so worth it. Also, investing speed in a prankster user is probably a redundant idea, unless you want invest just enough speed to get the jump on other priority (like Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch). The rest of the EVs should probably go into defense/spdef (not HP though, you want to be able to sub as much as possible, and since leech seed heals you for 12.5% of the OPPONENT'S health, having less hp means that you heal for a higher percentage of hp. This is especially important when trying to sub stall someone with leech seed). Also, most physical walls with magic bounce can beat pranksterloom pretty easily (like magic bounce skarmory) and Celebi>Breloom as well. But other than that it's a pretty fun set to use.

Porygon-Z @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 3 HP / 2 Def / 30 SpA / 2 SpD / 30 Spe
- Dark Pulse
- Tri Attack
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Nasty Plot

I have surprised a lot of people with this. porygon-z nasty plots, then is hit down to focus sash, exxentially giving it a double dance (2x speed, 2x sp attack) boost in one turn. plus it's generally unexpected, as the majority of AAA battles people have asked how this outsped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)