Metagame Metagame Trends

Status
Not open for further replies.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Approved by SilentVerse and atomicllamas.

Please read the entire OP.

This thread serves two purposes: to enlighten people about the constantly changing metagame, and to make this forum a bit more fun.

Firstly, the RU metagame is in a constant state of change. With so many people playing, everyone is trying to get the jump on everybody else by creating the most anti-metagame teams and sets. This leads to the development of the metagame. The goal of this thread is to highlight these changes over time. I think that one of the most interesting things about playing competitive Pokemon is how various threats rise and fall in usage and effectiveness with the passing of time. Something that frustrated me in the past is that people talked about metagames that didn't exist more than ones that did, as in asking things like "What if Alomomola got Magic Guard instead of Regenerator?" I don't think we have enough high-quality discussion on how the metagame actually is or was. I feel that this forum is too focused on things like teambuilding and trying to educate new players without any knowledge of RU. While this thread is still somewhat reflective of both of these things, I feel that it will be a step up from basic knowledge and this will hopefully have many posts of exceptional quality.

I'd like people to share new Pokemon or sets that have changed or are changing the metagame. Explain why it is anti-metagame, why and how it works, and anything else you might like to add. I'd like the emphasis to be on post quality rather than things like presentation. While it may look nicer that you c/p the set and an image of the mon, do not feel pressured to do such things because we want as low a barrier of entry as possible so that the top players can share their thoughts without putting in a bunch of time and effort.

Here is an example of a post that your posts should be along the lines of, although hopefully you all can be more insightful than I am because I don't really play that much:

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Gurdurr has become a very relevant threat in a short period of time. Gurdurr is a great check to arguably the best Pokemon in the tier right now in Zoroark, which allowed it to burst onto the scene. The really great thing about Gurdurr, though, is that it checks a lot of threats in the metagame but has very few hard counters. Gurdurr checks the aforementioned Zoroark, Sharpedo, Rhyperior, Cobalion, Virizion, and Registeel, among other things; its few counters include Aromatisse, Cresselia, and Moltres. It is extremely physically bulky even before a Bulk Up and decently specially bulky as well, which makes it hard to defeat for weak walls like Gligar and Alomomola, who can get set up on and defeated thanks to Drain Punch. Gurdurr is a huge threat right now, which means that Aromatisse is rising in effectiveness and popularity, and Yanmega is better than ever partially due to the rise of Gurdurr. Gurdurr is truly an anti-metagame Pokemon right now.
I would like posts on actually relevant things like Gurdurr. The deciding factor for me if something is legit or is just a gimmick is if the set relies too much on surprise factor. Things like Magmortar in BW1 and BigPig in BW2 were good sets in their own right even if your opponent knew the set, while things like Stallbreaker Virizion and Stallbreaker Cobalion lose most of their effectiveness without surprise value. I'd also like people to avoid making future predictions. Let's focus on the here and now, although past trends are acceptable because the metagame has been changing long before this thread was made.

Now I'd like to elaborate on the second purpose of this thread, which is to make this forum more fun. While I think that this thread could be one of the most interesting threads in this forum based on subject matter alone, this thread does have a twist. One thing that you must do in each post in this thread is that you must call out at least one other user in your post. Tagging is encouraged. However, don't take this as an invitation to leave out actual content in your post, as this is not the main goal of this thread. Please know where the line exists when it comes to being stupid, this is a serious thread still. If you don't who you should call out, feel free to call me out for something that I may or may not have done, I don't care. To start with, I will call out Molk for not giving me a definitive answer on whether I could make this thread n_n.

I look forward to seeing some great posts in this thread.

Not really a call out, but props to complete legitimacy for finally posting a post with more than one line.

As for a surprisingly good set (and mon):

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 60 Def / 48 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Credits to Professional2341 for this set.

I always found Sandslash a rather crappy spinner last gen that could barely get past Ghosts (and forget about getting past Cofag before it moved up) and never used it on any team. However, in this new gen, I decided to give this thing a try after I saw it get posted in the NP thread due some nice calcs shown. Now, the main reason I like Slash right now is due the fact is beats spinblocker #1 (Doublade) with ridiculous ease, has surprising bulk (can take Lee's LO HJK from full health 9.9) and can still dish out some damage due a good STAB in EQ. If nothing else, it can still annoy walls with Knock Off, so it still has use against Stall teams. Essentially, it's Claydol, but better in nearly every way (bar how it takes hazard damage). Not metagame defining in any way, I know, but if I post Zoro, I'll ruin the thread for the people wanting to debate about it here instead of the NP thread.

On the ladder, people still haven't caught on top tier threats like Zoroark, Moltres and (NON GODDAMN FAKE OUT NORMAL GEM) Lee, so it's pretty much just shitty sets after shitty sets. In RUgged Mountain, I saw a lot of Zoroark (and Shake with his freakin snake KOBRA) which forced so many mindgames if the battlers couldn't get hazards up early (or got their hazard setters trolled by Zoro), so it basically came down to "is this the Zoroark?" guesswork. I haven't had any battles with good battlers over the last few days, so if anything else popped up over that time...eh.

complete legitimacy
not really very broad metagame commentary, but I've actually been having success with an alternate spread for gurdurr:
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef / 24 Spe
the most relevant calc:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 96 HP / 136 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 273-322 (81.4 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 232 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 340-402 (92.1 - 108.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

while it's true that this set forfeits some physical bulk, gurdurr is bulkier on that side anyway and it can boost it.

Uhm, I'm not sure if this thread is dedicated to alternate spreads and stuff (underrated or creative sets thread is for that) and more dedicated to what sets, cores and such that are used a bit at the upper ladder. Am I wrong in assuming so, based on what I read in the OP?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Spiritomb @ Black Glasses / Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play / Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp / Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit / Shadow Sneak

If you're looking for anti metagame threats, not much is more anti metagame than Spiritomb at the moment. I've talked about Spiritomb a little bit in other threads before, but it just fits this particular thread so much i'm happy to bring it up again. Spiritomb was/is kinda overlooked as both an offensive/defensive Pokemon at the moment and has been since the start of XY RU, but a closer glance at the current metagame at the moment shows that Spiritomb has a pretty decent/good matchup against some of the tier's most annoying threats. Including but not limited to Delphox, Hitmonlee, Doublade, Reuniclus, Cresselia (to an extent) Meloetta, and Slowking. Outside of these specific threats, Spiritomb's access to both a decently powerful Sucker Punch and Pursuit is really really useful against pretty much any frail Pokemon, forcing them into checkmate situations where they have to choose between attacking Spiritomb and risking being sniped by Sucker Punch, or switching out and getting trapped by Pursuit. Infiltrator further increases Spiritomb's ability to do this, as unlike other Sucker Punch users its completely impossible to play around by using Substitute: completely ignoring the fact that the sub is there in the first place, letting Spiritomb Sucker Punch/Burn/Foul Play whatever's behind it as if nothing happened. As the icing on the cake, Spiritomb's Will-O-Wisp is a great weapon to have to cripple things that'd be able to take advantage of it otherwise (Foul Play is too), including Rhyperior, Cobalion, and Drapion, making it harder to switch into than it looks despite its limited coverage and somewhat situational STAB moves. Not even Aromatisse really likes getting hit by a wisp, since while it has Aromatherapy it *does* still do chip damage, and the fact that Aromatisse will eventually have to heal it off gives the Spiritomb user a free turn to go into something more threatening.

This set isn't the only set it can run btw, fully defensive sets and even the semifamous Crotomb are viable in this metagame imo, although they're more limited on what playstyles they can fit on, usually being reserved for things such as full stall.

As for a general metagame thing? Remember when everyone on irc thought Doublade would end up being awful when i tried to hype it early on?

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yes mallpal, Kawaii Kyouko is right in that that's not really the kind of post that we're looking for here. While that spread definitely does have merit, what I don't want this to become is the np thread where everyone posts random obscure mons and say something along the lines of "I TRIED THIS OUT ON THE LADDER OMG IT'S SO GOOD IT DESERVES SO MUCH MORE USAGE" and the mon is like Mantine or some shit. This thread is supposed to be broad, and I don't want us to focus on specifics or other pointless things like presentation.

Ningildo and Molk's posts are good as far as pertaining to a Pokemon's role in the metagame at large, but don't be afraid to be even more general than that. I apologize if there was some confusion about exactly what to post.

Also, please don't forget to call out another user in your post, it is an important part of this thread. Obligatory Double01 sucks.

Spiritomb @ Black Glasses / Leftovers
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play / Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp / Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit / Shadow Sneak

If you're looking for anti metagame threats, not much is more anti metagame than Spiritomb at the moment. I've talked about Spiritomb a little bit in other threads before, but it just fits this particular thread so much i'm happy to bring it up again. Spiritomb was/is kinda overlooked as both an offensive/defensive Pokemon at the moment and has been since the start of XY RU, but a closer glance at the current metagame at the moment shows that Spiritomb has a pretty decent/good matchup against some of the tier's most annoying threats. Including but not limited to Delphox, Hitmonlee, Doublade, Reuniclus, Cresselia (to an extent) Meloetta, and Slowking. Outside of these specific threats, Spiritomb's access to both a decently powerful Sucker Punch and Pursuit is really really useful against pretty much any frail Pokemon, forcing them into checkmate situations where they have to choose between attacking Spiritomb and risking being sniped by Sucker Punch, or switching out and getting trapped by Pursuit. Infiltrator further increases Spiritomb's ability to do this, as unlike other Sucker Punch users its completely impossible to play around by using Substitute: completely ignoring the fact that the sub is there in the first place, letting Spiritomb Sucker Punch/Burn/Foul Play whatever's behind it as if nothing happened. As the icing on the cake, Spiritomb's Will-O-Wisp is a great weapon to have to cripple things that'd be able to take advantage of it otherwise (Foul Play is too), including Rhyperior, Cobalion, and Drapion, making it harder to switch into than it looks despite its limited coverage and somewhat situational STAB moves. Not even Aromatisse really likes getting hit by a wisp, since while it has Aromatherapy it *does* still do chip damage, and the fact that Aromatisse will eventually have to heal it off gives the Spiritomb user a free turn to go into something more threatening.

This set isn't the only set it can run btw, fully defensive sets and even the semifamous Crotomb are viable in this metagame imo, although they're more limited on what playstyles they can fit on, usually being reserved for things such as full stall.

As for a general metagame thing? Remember when everyone on irc thought Doublade would end up being awful when i tried to hype it early on?
I am using spiritomb in a lot of teams now and I love its ability to spinblock hitmonlee and even pursuit trapping it (a fleeing pursuit does like 50% so if you predict a HJK it is over for Lee) along with checking a lot of annoying pokemon for offense like Doublade, Ambipom, Cobalion (you can't really damage but burning through sub is amazing), Gallade, Yanmega with SR up, Mismagius, Sharpedo to an extent, and any offensive threat not resistant to Dark, not to mention Pursuit trapping Slowking for Moltres. Another move that I really like on it is Destiny Bond as with some prediction you can easily remove stuff like Aromatisse and Rhyperior from the game to let a teammate sweep.
Really solid mon

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, one thing that I want to talk about is Yanmega Counters that don't lose to Dugtrio. As right now, one of the most common cores seen during higher level play is Yanmega + Dugtrio, which targets and gets rid of Yanmega's main counter Registeel, and can also wear down Specially Defensive Aromatisse to the point that it can no longer counter Yanmega. It is very hard to come up with Pokemon that can deal with both of them while still being useful in the current metagame. However there are a couple of Pokemon that can prevent Yanmega from powering through your team without being completely trashed by Dugtrio.

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog / Heal Bell
- Wish / Roost
- Protect / Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

Togetic is a pretty cool mon, with a HUGE SpD stat and Eviolite. It is probably one of the best responses to Yanmega in the tier, as it 4x resists Bug Buzz and can eat Air Slashes for Breakfast. Togetic has 2 different forms of reliable recovery and can support its teams with either Defog or Heal Bell, and Wish if you so desire. Thanks to its flying typing it can also evade Arena Trap from crafty Dugtrio's looking to trap your Yanmega counters. Fire Blast is a cool option for hitting both Yanmega and Doublade hard if you don't need the Wish-Tect.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Yanmega Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Togetic: 87-103 (27.7 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

8 SpA Togetic Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Yanmega: 210-248 (66.8 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Togetic Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Yanmega: 115-136 (36.6 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Golbat @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Toxic

While Golbat usually chooses to go Physically defensive to check Hitmonlee more easily, Specially Defensive Golbat is still an option to beat the opponents Yanmega. It also still retains its niche as a good defogger and can utilize infiltrator Toxic to beat out some Pokemon that usually can stroll through defensive teams. It also has reliable recovery in roost in order to stick around and continue to wall Yanmega, as well as escaping Arena Trap. Generally Physically Defensive is better, but it functions well as a Yanmega counter in a pinch.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Yanmega Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Golbat: 109-129 (30.7 - 36.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

4 Atk Golbat Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 246-290 (78.3 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Of course this assumes that you don't get flinched to death by Yanmega ;o.

I was gonna call out complete legitimacy for shitposting too much but Ningildo did that, so I will call out user SilentVerse for literally shitting his pants when he sees Nidoqueen in team preview.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn/Toxic/Stealth Rock
- Earthquake/Stealth Rock

Gligar is debatably the best defogger in the tier, and with good reason. Gligar has a monstrous 508 defense, and a decent 333 HP, gligar is tough to take down. It has a decent attack stat, and a decent special defense stat thanks to the eviolite boost, along with reliable recovery. The set is pretty straight-forward; Defog is the primary move, able to remove hazards on the opponents side of the field. Roost is to recover, and u-turn is to gain momentum when you wall a pokemon such as hitmonlee. As they switch or attack, you can bring in an appropriate counter to whatever pokemon is on the opponent's side. 8 EVs can be used to outspeed other gligar, rather than the extra given power, but it will cause you to u-turn first on opposing gligars, ultimately handing them the momentum. Toxic is slashed over u-turn to hit bulky walls like opposing gligar and rhyperior. In the last slot, you have your STAB, earthquake. This basically stops gligar from being set-up fodder for things like Doublade. Stealth rock is optional over either u-turn or eq if you can't fit another stealth rocker on your team, however defog will be removing the stealth rocks you set up. Stealth rock could also be used over defog, but it isn't advised, as pokemon like rhyperior do a better job of setting up rocks, whereas Gligar's niche is being one of the few bulky defoggers not weak to rocks.

Druddigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch

Druddigon has a 372 attack, and is a force to be reckoned with in RU. Sheer force is an interesting ability to use on Druddigon, as neither its STAB nor its priority have an added effect, meaning only its coverage moves will be boosted; however, XY gave Gunk Shot a gift, 80 accuracy as opposed to 70. And, due to the new immunity to dragon (fairies), Druddigon can OHKO every Fairy in RU (with exception to Granbull). Dragon Claw or Outrage can be used as Druddigon's stab. Dragon claw is weaker than gunk shot, but is also more accurate and provides coverage against poison- ground- and ghost- types. Outrage is powerful, but leaves Druddigon unable to switch moves, which is a huge hindrance on the life orb sheer force set. Fire punch is used as a 100% accurate move with no life orb recoil, but more importantly, as coverage against steel types. Earthquake is the same base power, but hits less pokemon than fire punch, and makes Druddigon take life orb recoil. Gunk shot is the crux of the set, OHKOing aromatisse and doing massive damage to intimidate granbull, as well as outspeeding and 2hkoing it (granbull). Gunk shot is also nice to hit as the hardest move on the set, doing 50% to standard alomomola. With sheer force, Gunk shot is boosted to a massive 156 base power, and is nearly as strong as outrage. Sucker punch is simply priority to finish off weakened threats and do big damage to frail/fast ice- and dragon- types.

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Heat Wave
hazard spam is super common and quite potent in the mid-to-high ru ladder at present, in the form of both heavy offense and stall teams. xatu is a great way to keep it in check. while it's true that xatu can't safely switch into a lot of common sr setters, its very presence on a team makes a player reluctant to click that move, and if it gets in safely the given set has no problem quickly despatching with the likes of rhyperior, omastar (assuming no sash), ferroseed, qwilfish, roselia and gligar, not to mention all the web setters (it can at the very least break sash). the only common sr setter it doesn't outspeed is cobalion.

ss234

bop.

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Mooblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Aromatisse is a rlly good pokemon right now. While it can't quite deal with everything you'd expect it too because of it's not quite there stat spread(i.e. coming incredibly close to surviving two specs yanmega bug buzzes after sr-you can use protect to survive almost all of the time but that can lead to mindgames where they switch on the protect so it's not overly reliable), aroma is a very good answer to lots of important metagame threats, namely zoroark, hitmonlee and it checks the aformentioned yanmega well with a spdef spread. It also deals with a number of other rising trends, such as gurdurr and spiritomb both mentioned in this thread already. On top of being able to deal with so many big threats, aromatisse has a brilliant support movepool-it is one of the only viable clerics in the tier and has wish to heal teammates. While it only rlly works on more defensive builds, aromatisse is still a very good answer to a lot of key metagame threats.

Btw, this is far from the only aromatisse spread. Physically defensive is a much better answer to hitmonlee, although you lose the ability to counter yanmega without stealth rock up. Both spreads will beat zoroark.

Last edited by a moderator:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Mooblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Aromatisse is a rlly good pokemon right now. While it can't quite deal with everything you'd expect it too because of it's not quite there stat spread(i.e. coming incredibly close to surviving two specs yanmega bug buzzes after sr), aroma is a very good answer to lots of important metagame threats, namely zoroark, hitmonlee and it checks the aformentioned yanmega well with a spdef spread. It also deals with a number of other rising trends, such as gurdurr and spiritomb both mentioned in this thread already. On top of being able to deal with so many big threats, aromatisse has a brilliant support movepool-it is one of the only viable clerics in the tier and has wish to heal teammates. While it only rlly works on more defensive builds, aromatisse is still a very good answer to a lot of key metagame threats.

Btw, this is far from the only aromatisse spread. Physically defensive is a much better answer to hitmonlee, although you lose the ability to counter yanmega without stealth rock up. Both spreads will beat zoroark.

Obligatory atomicllamas is garbdix and Molk is a faget
Don't you survive with protect o.o

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You've seen SpDef Aromatisse. Now meet PhysDef Aromatisse!

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SDef
Nature: Bold
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

With this spread, Aromatisse is a much more reliable answer to Hitmonlee than the SpDef variant while also taking on most Zoroark variants even better. It's also able to handle common threats like Gallade, Virizion, and Sharpedo as well as rising threats like Spiritomb and Gurdurr with better consistency thanks to the increase in physical bulk. Wish and Cleric support in a single teamslot is absolutely amazing on any balance or stall team, and Aromatisse can do this on top of checking the aforementioned threats. Moonblast isn't super strong or anything, but it takes out what it needs to. It's arguably the best wall in the tier for a reason. Start using it, and you'll quickly find out why.

Spirit knows all about how good this set is. But I've still known about it since stage 0 ;)

This isn't /that/ recent of a trend, but w/e it's recent enough imo

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Defog

RU is a tier filled with many threatening Pokemon with a 4x Stealth Rock weakness, such as Yanmega, Moltres, and Fletchinder. While Hitmonlee is a great offensive Rapid Spinner (the only viable one outside of the rare Kabutops lol), it struggles to get past Doublade, which makes it hard for it to spin against many teams. Recently, Shiftry has been gaining quite a bit of popularity for its great niche as an offensive Defogger. Boasting great mixed attacking prowess back by 3 good STAB moves, one of which is also a priority move, Shiftry is no slouch offensively and is a great partner to Pokemon which can't afford to rely on a hazard remover that's stopped by the most common Pokemon in the tier. Shiftry is also a great partner to Moltres and to a lesser extent Fletchinder for its ability to switch into and defeat AV Slowking and Rhyperior, respectively. Try Shiftry out, it won't let you down.

EDIT: calling out Arikado for using 252 HP Shiftry and the fabulous RU ladder for making it the most used spread

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave/toxic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost
- Defog

started to see this this thing pop up on the ladder as a check to both the suspects. It pretty much hard walls both of them as well as being a decent check to a number of other threats such as hitmonlee, meloetta, slowking and a load of others. When i've played against it, it's always been able to defog easily so actually serves as a great partner to both yanmega and zoro as well.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Togetic: 135-160 (42.9 - 50.9%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Togetic: 57-68 (18.1 - 21.6%) -- possible 5HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Yanmega Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Togetic: 87-103 (27.7 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Togetic: 52-62 (16.5 - 19.7%) -- possible 6HKO

Arikado is bad but has nice tits

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This isn't really a *trend*, but as i've laddered both using and playing against it i think it has potential.

Clawitzer @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Mega Launcher
Modest Nature
- Scald / Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam / Aura Sphere
- U-turn / Aura Sphere

So as i've been laddering through the past month or so, i've observed something pretty interesting with both my own teams and a lot of the teams i've been facing: a lot of them are really troubled by Clawitzer. Clawitzer's Special Attack is pretty damn high, and with Mega Launcher giving it the equivalent of not 1, but 3 different STABs to utilize (Mega Launcher is the equivalent of a STAB boost for anyone who doesnt know), all of which being somewhat spammable, switching into Clawitzer safely is a massive challenge, and opponents will often be forced to sacrifice a Pokemon or two to take it out. Also, unlike other Pokemon with similar wallbreaking ability, it's not like Clawitzer is a frail Pokemon at all , with bulk around the level of Druddigon's and a solid typing that gives it only two weaknesses, Clawitzer can take a hit or two if need be, and gets more switch in opportunities against common Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Doublade, and Gligar than you'd think. Personally i prefer Choice Specs Clawitzer for the lack of recoil and that slight bit of extra power, but Life Orb's ability to switch moves makes it even more of a pain to switch in on than usual in exchange for some of that bulk. I'll post some damage calcs of Choice Specs Clawitzer in the hide tags below to show just how painful this thing can be if you're not careful.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Water Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 178-210 (43.8 - 51.7%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Clawitzer Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 159-187 (39.1 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

(iirc this thing gets Sludge Wave too if you *really* need this thing cleanly 2HKO'd)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 120 HP / 136 SpD Alomomola: 300-353 (59.8 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Clawitzer Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 170-202 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 220-260 (60.4 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Clawitzer Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 254-300 (58.7 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 250-296 (63.4 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Clawitzer Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Druddigon: 222-262 (62 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Druddigon: 148-175 (41.3 - 48.8%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Remember, these Pokemon are some of the bulkiest in the metagame and/or stall staples, and they still take some serious damage from Clawitzer's attacks, most offensive Pokemon get cleanly OHKO'd by the correct coverage move, possibly even being 2HKO'd by resisted ones.

So, thoughts on Clawitzer in the current meta? Do you agree that it's underrated/deserves more usage? Have you used it? Have you ever had trouble against it while facing it?

calling out c_l for making this dumb rule

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This isn't really a *trend*, but as i've laddered both using and playing against it i think it has potential.

Modest Nature
- Scald / Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam / Aura Sphere
- U-turn / Aura Sphere

So as i've been laddering through the past month or so, i've observed something pretty interesting with both my own teams and a lot of the teams i've been facing: a lot of them are really troubled by Clawitzer. Clawitzer's Special Attack is pretty damn high, and with Mega Launcher giving it the equivalent of not 1, but 3 different STABs to utilize (Mega Launcher is the equivalent of a STAB boost for anyone who doesnt know), all of which being somewhat spammable, switching into Clawitzer safely is a massive challenge, and opponents will often be forced to sacrifice a Pokemon or two to take it out. Also, unlike other Pokemon with similar wallbreaking ability, it's not like Clawitzer is a frail Pokemon at all , with bulk around the level of Druddigon's and a solid typing that gives it only two weaknesses, Clawitzer can take a hit or two if need be, and gets more switch in opportunities against common Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Doublade, and Gligar than you'd think. Personally i prefer Choice Specs Clawitzer for the lack of recoil and that slight bit of extra power, but Life Orb's ability to switch moves makes it even more of a pain to switch in on than usual in exchange for some of that bulk. I'll post some damage calcs of Choice Specs Clawitzer in the hide tags below to show just how painful this thing can be if you're not careful.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Water Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 178-210 (43.8 - 51.7%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Clawitzer Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 159-187 (39.1 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

(iirc this thing gets Sludge Wave too if you *really* need this thing cleanly 2HKO'd)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 120 HP / 136 SpD Alomomola: 300-353 (59.8 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Clawitzer Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 170-202 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 220-260 (60.4 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Clawitzer Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 254-300 (58.7 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 250-296 (63.4 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Clawitzer Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Druddigon: 222-262 (62 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Druddigon: 148-175 (41.3 - 48.8%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Remember, these Pokemon are some of the bulkiest in the metagame and/or stall staples, and they still take some serious damage from Clawitzer's attacks, most offensive Pokemon get cleanly OHKO'd by the correct coverage move, possibly even being 2HKO'd by resisted ones.

So, thoughts on Clawitzer in the current meta? Do you agree that it's underrated/deserves more usage? Have you used it? Have you ever had trouble against it while facing it?

I actually built my last team around Clawitzer. This thing is really damn good rn. It destroys just about every common defensive core single-handedly and is a royal pain in the ass to switch into. I completely agree that Clawitzer is underrated and needs more usage. If your team is struggling with common defensive cores and you can afford to put a Water-type on your team, use Clawitzer. The only reason you shouldn't use it is if you need Slowking's higher special bulk and need defense before offense. That said, I would highly recommend using Aura Sphere + Ice Beam if you use Life Orb as full coverage on this thing is absolutely brutal. The Specs set can make use of U-turn to help keep momentum and such, but I would still like Aura Sphere to cause maximum damage.

As for switching into it, it's absolute hell. Thankfully I carry Virizion and / or Slowking on most of my teams, but even then, I'm screwed if Clawitzer is Life Orb and actually carries full coverage. Honestly, I feel like Clawitzer is one of the premier wallbreakers in the entire tier. I know that the Speed is a major turn-off, but it just shits on slower teams and can tear a lot of holes in stall teams when it's full coverage + Life Orb. Give it a try if you haven't already. It's really good, trust me.

Modest Nature
- Scald / Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam / Aura Sphere
- U-turn / Aura Sphere

Simply gonna jump in and support how fukn dumb and good this mon is. I hate facing it, cuz im a stall player, and I usually have to try and dance around it with keeping roselia, registeel and shite. If I'm lucky, my opponent is specs and i can switch accordingly... LO tears my asscheeks apart on the other hand.

So yea, this thing shits on defensive teams and is still a tough nut to combat 1v1 for offensive teams (if he is granted a free switch ofc cuz his bulk nd stuff).

It's underrated and I hope it remains so, cuz I don't wanna face it ;_;

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Simply gonna jump in and support how fukn dumb and good this mon is. I hate facing it, cuz im a stall player, and I usually have to try and dance around it with keeping roselia, registeel and shite. If I'm lucky, my opponent is specs and i can switch accordingly... LO tears my asscheeks apart on the other hand.

So yea, this thing shits on defensive teams and is still a tough nut to combat 1v1 for offensive teams (if he is granted a free switch ofc cuz his bulk nd stuff).

It's underrated and I hope it remains so, cuz I don't wanna face it ;_;
As a fellow defensive player I would recommend to run specially defensive Golbat to counter specs Clawizter:

Golbat @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic / Haze / Taunt

Specially defensive Golbat is an underrated mon and I don't get why it doesn't get more use. For starters it counters SpecsMega and doesn't get trapped by Dugtrio, it also counters Hitmonlee (Knock off will hurt tho) and screws Sub BU Braviary and Sub Roost Moltres (two pokes Stall has a hard time with) it also defogs and can stop Gurdurr with Taunt or Haze. 248 is a SR number which means that Golbat will take less damage from hazards while 252 SpD maximize special bulky. The 8 speed evs are really important because with them Golbat can outspeed Modest max speed Clawitzer and Roost before taking a super effective Ice Beam.
Fun calcs:

VS Specs:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Clawitzer Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Golbat: 178-210 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Golbat outspeeds next turn and uses Roost to remove his flying type)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Clawitzer Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Golbat: 89-105 (25.2 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

VS Life Orb:

252+ SpA Life Orb Clawitzer Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Golbat: 153-182 (43.3 - 51.5%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO (Roost to remove Flying type next turn)
252+ SpA Life Orb Mega Launcher Clawitzer Water Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Golbat: 114-136 (32.2 - 38.5%) -- 98.1% chance to 3HKO

As the calcs show, specially defensive Golbat is a great answer to Clawitzer and can counter even if SR are up. If you need a SpecsMega counter, Clawitzer counter, Hitmonlee counter and hazard remover on your stall team look no further because Golbat is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)