Resource XY NU Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linoone -C -> A rank
Linoone has a high speed stat for the tier at 100 and a sub par attack stat of 70. However if you open with it and use belly drum + extremespeed it will sweep teams. Out of the 40 games I played with it opening I lost 3 and went 6-0 34 times along with 5-0 or 4-0 the rest. the only effective counters to this set are to kill it turn one or have a focus sash pokemon that can kill it in one hit.
With this set it covers the pokemon such as regirock and ghosts that would otherwise wall it since it is faster than anything that can live a hit from extremespeed.
Linoone @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Seed Bomb
Coming from someone who has used Linoone extensively it is B at most. You need a lot of support but it has a giant payoff. Risk Reward is Linoone in a nutshell sorry I can't really make thi post longer but a pokemon that requires a bunch of support does not belong in a rank as you struggle to hit stuff like Spiritomb really hard.

Linoone -C -> A rank
Linoone has a high speed stat for the tier at 100 and a sub par attack stat of 70. However if you open with it and use belly drum + extremespeed it will sweep teams. Out of the 40 games I played with it opening I lost 3 and went 6-0 34 times along with 5-0 or 4-0 the rest. the only effective counters to this set are to kill it turn one or have a focus sash pokemon that can kill it in one hit.
With this set it covers the pokemon such as regirock and ghosts that would otherwise wall it since it is faster than anything that can live a hit from extremespeed.
Linoone @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Seed Bomb
Main problem here is that Linoone is incredibly frail. It has a mediocre 78/61/6 defenses, no resists whatsoever, and is absolutely walled by Steel types, such as Steelix and Ferroseed. It struggles heavily with Pokemon like Spiritomb, who can just take a +6 Seed Bomb and burn it back, and it more or less needs a Pokemon to remove steels and screens or memento support in order to set up a Belly Drum and sweep.

Linoone -C -> A rank
The problem with Linoone is that it isn't very bulky which makes it difficult to set-up with. It also has trouble with steel types like Steelix and Probopass as well as bulky ghosts who can burn it (Spiritomb) or faster ghosts who can burn it (Mismagius) both of which are common pokemon in NU. However, it does have its own niche and fits right where it is in C Rank.

Whirlipede for Unlisted -> C-/C

Whirlipede gets a neat tool this generation in the form of Speed Boost. With amazing physical defense with Eviolite and a speed stat that gets boosted, it can become a formidable threat. With a strong Poison/Bug Typing, it can stop almost all Fighting and Physical Fairy types cold. With access to Spikes AND Toxic spikes, it can become a fast, reliable hazard setter. Although it does not get Baton Pass, the raised speed allows for a fast hazard setter after a few boosts. Even without investment in speed, it becomes quite fast at +2 speed. I see it becoming a decent threat. Also, it gets access to Struggle Bug, which patches its poor SpDef Stat. The only thing really letting it down is its weakness to SR and no access to recovery. It's attack stats are bismal; so it's not recommended an offensive set be used.

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Whirlipede: 170-201 (59.8 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Sawk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Whirlipede: 77-91 (27.1 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Granbull Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Whirlipede: 55-65 (19.3 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Whirlipede: 156-185 (54.9 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Jynx Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Whirlipede: 218-260 (76.7 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Archeops Sky Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Whirlipede: 236-278 (83 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Whirlipede: 91-109 (32 - 38.3%) -- 96.2% chance to 3HKO

The only calc that I want to make publicly open is one that shows its sheer power:
252 SpA Typhlosion Eruption (112 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Whirlipede: 264-312 (92.9 - 109.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (This is after stealth rock)

y no rapid spin (Whirlipede) @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature / Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Protect
- Struggle Bug / Poison Jab

Bold is preferred as the -1 SpA boost that comes from Struggle Bug is rather useful in sponging attacks.

How it outclasses Qwilfish:
- regular boost of speed
- ability to sponge hits better specially (just under 300 SDef with Eviolite)
- doesn't need speed investment; more in defenses

Last edited:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
sure that thing has better defenses and more speed (although it needs two turns to be faster than qwilfish) but with your current set you accomplish absolutely nothing besides set up hazards. most of the calcs you listed are meaningless as they just set up in your face or 2hko you while you do nothing back. you also cannot do anything to prevent hazard removers from coming in and ruining all your work. on the other hand qwilfish has a huge movepool and has a nice offense presence and taunt to ward off rapid spinners and defoggers. it also has a way to heal itself via pain split or leftovers unlike whirlpede. so yes, whirlpede does outclass qwilfish in raw defenses, but is completely outclassed as a hazard setter, which is the only thing it can do, and therefore should not be ranked.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Whirlipede also has no reliable recovery, meaning it often can only function as a suicide lead, while Qwilfish can be a suicide lead and more. Garbodor also gives Whirlipede a good run for its money due to their similiar movepool (including the nifty Infestation so that Xatu becomes easy Spiritomb bait, or just prevents Xatu from switching in), but possess better utility in Clear Smog and Aftermath, and can better defend itself with Gunk Shot, Seed Bomb/Giga Drain, and Drain Punch.

DickChicken

Banned deucer.
Linoone -C -> A rank
Linoone @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Seed Bomb
Well. Linoone is good yeah, and it can pack quite a punch with the belly drum extreme speed set but I just don't agree with it skyrocketing to A. It'll do just fine around B to B-.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Linoone is fine where it is. It has quite a lot of problems as a Belly Drum sweeper. Firstly, it requires a lot of support because its lack of bulk means you aren't setting up unless you have dual screens in front of a relatively weak attacker. Secondly, it has no way of getting around faster Ghosts or bulky Steel- and Rock-types. This gen brought to NU a lot of Linoone counters in addition to the ones we had last gen. Physically Defensive Spiritomb can take hits from it and beats it with Foul Play, while Scarf Rotom and Mismagius outrun all variants and either defeat it with Thunderbolt or Destiny Bond. Pokemon like Rhydon, Ferroseed, and Steelix are new Rock- or Steel-types that stop Linoone (unless it runs Seed Bomb for the former) and we have old friends like Regirock in the party. As if that weren't bad enough Linoone has competition from Slurpuff as a Belly Drum attacker which has a better typing, offensive moves, and comes with unpredictability. Linoone shouldn't be moved up.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Linoone -C -> A rank
Linoone @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Seed Bomb
So seeing as this is your first post, here are a couple of suggestions on how to come back with a counter argument to the various people who said Linoone should stay in C.
1. You should back up your argument with at least 3 replays against high ranked ladder players (this means that you shouldnt get replays from like 1200 and post those).
2. You should look at the definition of the rank you are suggesting something for and see if it fits the description.
3. When looking at a mon to suggest it for a higher rank you should see if it can fit more than one role, for instance you said Linoone is good as a setup sweeper first turn but didnt give any info on how it performed as a late/mid game sweeper.
4. You should back up your post with relevant calcs against some common walls that might be able to stop the mon you are suggesting.
5. Remember that people will disagree with you so giving as much helpful information to back up your claim is a good thing.

As far as Linoone moving up I agree with the above mentioned posts and think that there are way to many hard stops to Linoone. And if it isnt a first turn lead coming in with it late game it struggles to set up, where as something like slurpuff doesnt as much because of better typing. I could maybe see it moving up to C- at the most if you counter claim with the above mentioned things and give some good reasoning as to why it should move up.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm supporting Mesprit for A, amazing Pokemon in this metagame and is really versatile, which means it can be a threat to every teams if you use the right set / coverage.

I would also like to see Piloswine rise to like B- or B: Piloswine is a great Stealth Rock setter with good bulk and an amazing offensive typing allowing it to hit close to everything for good damage. It also has some nice options such as Roar and Freeze-Dry (does a lot to Seismitoad, Pelipper, and I think Ludicolo, maybe more). IMO the main selling point is Ice Shard, which let you use Piloswine to check Shiftry, Archeops, Lilligant, and more, which can be REALLY useful on certain teams :toast:

EDIT: fk phone

Last edited:
K i got another suggestion.

I want to propose that Leavanny and Kricketune switch places on the rankings. Leavanny down to C, and Kricketune up to C+.

To people that play a lot of webs offense, its pretty clear that Kricketune is the best setter. Access to actual utility moves is a huge niche over Leavanny, who has to rely on Magic Coat to do much of anything other than attack. Because of this, Leavanny doesn't offer any utility at all in the Webs slot. On the other hand, Kricketune has a few cool moves it can take advantage of. Taunt is the big one, being able to stop things like Steelix, Golem and other SR users from putting up rocks is huge, and the real reason you use Kricketune. Other than that, Kricketune has Knock Off, which Leavanny can't use with Sticky Web. also Endeavor if you want another more niche choice. Kricketune just has a lot more going for it, which makes up for its shitty stats :)

K i got another suggestion.

I want to propose that Leavanny and Kricketune switch places on the rankings. Leavanny down to C, and Kricketune up to C+.

To people that play a lot of webs offense, its pretty clear that Kricketune is the best setter. Access to actual utility moves is a huge niche over Leavanny, who has to rely on Magic Coat to do much of anything other than attack. Because of this, Leavanny doesn't offer any utility at all in the Webs slot. On the other hand, Kricketune has a few cool moves it can take advantage of. Taunt is the big one, being able to stop things like Steelix, Golem and other SR users from putting up rocks is huge, and the real reason you use Kricketune. Other than that, Kricketune has Knock Off, which Leavanny can't use with Sticky Web. also Endeavor if you want another more niche choice. Kricketune just has a lot more going for it, which makes up for its shitty stats :)

I very much support this change because in my experience (in both NU and RU, even thought the second doesn't really matter) Magic Coat doesn't nearly compare in utility to Taunt and Endeavor (and Knock Off obviously) that can actually threaten and downright stop defoggers not named archeops as Kricketune has enough speed to outrun them. Endeavor is great too and Kricketune can easily pull it off with its sleed investmenf to cripple walls without recovery like Steelix, Rhydon and Regirock doing overall comparable damage to Leavanny's. The only Pokemon that Kricketune can't set up webs on that Leavanny can is lead Qwilfish (and Taunt Pyroar/Archeops if you predict and Magic Coat) but it is a fair trade for the ability to stop Defog in my opinion.
Also the cry is fucking gorgeus

Last edited:
I would also like to see Piloswine rise to like B- or B: Piloswine is a great Stealth Rock setter with good bulk and an amazing offensive typing allowing it to hit close to everything for good damage. It also has some nice options such as Roar and Freeze-Dry (does a lot to Seismitoad, Pelipper, and I think Ludicolo, maybe more). IMO the main selling point is Ice Shard, which let you use Piloswine to check Shiftry, Archeops, Lilligant, and more, which can be REALLY useful on certain teams :toast:
Sigh, I will admit I didn't think about freeze dry, but I added freeze-dry calcs now, its actually not a bad option if you need an answer to Pelly/Ludicolo/Phys Toad

However a 3 hit icicle spear beats it for mantine, but it does more to gatr than earthquake (But its a bad answer to gatr regardless)

C+ to B
252 Atk Primeape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 270-320 (66.8 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Expert Belt Electivire Cross Chop vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 223-264 (55.1 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 306-362 (75.7 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 240-284 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0- SpA Life Orb Shiftry Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 304-359 (75.2 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 227-269 (56.1 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Magmortar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 256-302 (63.3 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Typhlosion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 232-274 (57.4 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Guts Swellow Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 207-244 (51.2 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 253-298 (62.6 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 373-441 (92.3 - 109.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Piloswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shiftry: 182-216 (56.6 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Piloswine Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Swellow: 182-216 (69.4 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after toxic damage

252+ Atk Piloswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 170-204 (58.4 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Auto Defeatist)

252+ Atk Piloswine Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 170-204 (60.2 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Piloswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Vivillon: 210-248 (69.7 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Piloswine Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Vileplume: 258-312 (72.8 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery [Not Reliable for anything since giga drain does 70%, but if it has hazard damage it isn't safe]

-1 252+ Atk Piloswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 174-206 (52 - 61.6%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

0 SpA Piloswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pelipper: 268-324 (82.7 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

0 SpA Piloswine Freeze Dry vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Ludicolo: 204-240 (67.5 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Piloswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 256-304 (61.8 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Piloswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Seismitoad: 192-228 (46.3 - 55%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Piloswine Freeze Dry vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 116-140 (37.1 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Nothing short of banded Sawk or Life orb special sceptile will OHKO it outright. It beats any stealth rocker (Or hazard setter really) that isn't Omastar/Toad. Even Omastar loses if they try to trade rocks instead of attacking off the bat.

Between a strong ice shard and the bulk to take a hit from most mons, it can act as a revenge or emergency check to a long list of mons. Really the only notable things it cant stop are Gatr an already-BD'd Slurpluff (Which interestingly is 50/50 ohko)

Its ice shard is ~on par with Sneasel (Already a B) so any ice shard utility is retained. But it trades a fast knock off for the ability to take hits if needed, set up rocks if needed, and STAB EQ coming off of 100 attack.

It can't do everything(except when it can) but it can always do something, its definitely more than a C+

Kangaskhan for B- -> B+/A-

Kangaskhan just deserves a raise imo. With access to two priority moves, Scrappy to make it just a shit ton more viable, and it has decent stats defensively and offensively. with a stat distribution of 105/95/80/x/80/90, it's fast, it's rather powerful with STAB Double-Edge/Return, and can even run a Focus Punch set. It fits on almost any team and it's rather hard to take down if you don't carry a bulky fighting type; and even then, it still dents. It's just got a lot of capability to be so much more than just B- and I feel as if it should be recognised. It's hard to counter it because of Scrappy and access to coverage moves to things that resist Double-Edge or Return.

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf / Life Orb / Choice Band / Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake / Fake Out
- Double-Edge / Return

Kangaskhan @ Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch / Earthquake

I would like to suggest sliggoo from D (!) to C+. It performs really good in the current meta, since it is a reliable switch- in to plume, lilligant, vivillon, fire spam or every other speciall attacker, that can't hit it very effective. If you want to have recovery, you still can run a resttalk variant, who still performs its role very efficiently.

Backing up the Kangaskhan from B to B+ / A-. From my experience, Kangaskhan in both the ladder and NUPL has done work consistently, hammering down some of the tier's top sweepers such as Slurpuff for little to no cost, while checking many of the tier's major threats. It is still a top tier normal type, helping to revenge kill, punch holes, or even clean for a team, making it a strong pokemon with tons of utility especially in such a fast paced metagame.

Promoting Relicanth from D to C at least. I have been using this set:

Relicanth @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

as a wall breaker, and let me tell you, it works. Head smash is your main move, as with rock head and a choice band boost, it OHKO-2HKO's most of the tier without killing you, too. Waterfall is your second stab, allowing you to hit things that resist HS like Bastiodon or Steelix. Earthquake is just for good coverage, although if something else is needed to replace it on your team, it can be replaced. I almost never use it. Zen Headbutt, on the other hand, is essential for killing Vileplume and other poison/grass types, along with fighting types on the switch. The EV's themselves Are pretty straight forward. Since it's a wallbreaker, it doesn't need to max out it's speed, however the numbers I have are not based on any particular threat. I am sure that maxing speed would work fine, but I wouldn't recommend Maxing HP over speed, uninvested Relicanth is just too slow. It has great natural bulk anyways, so speed is the way to go. And of course, 252 Adamant nature for the max damage output. I will update with replays to show his power if it is wanted.

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Promoting Relicanth from D to C at least. I have been using this set:

Relicanth @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

as a wall breaker, and let me tell you, it works. Head smash is your main move, as with rock head and a choice band boost, it OHKO-2HKO's most of the tier without killing you, too. Waterfall is your second stab, allowing you to hit things that resist HS like Bastiodon or Steelix. Earthquake is just for good coverage, although if something else is needed to replace it on your team, it can be replaced. I almost never use it. Zen Headbutt, on the other hand, is essential for killing Vileplume and other poison/grass types, along with fighting types on the switch. The EV's themselves Are pretty straight forward. Since it's a wallbreaker, it doesn't need to max out it's speed, however the numbers I have are not based on any particular threat. I am sure that maxing speed would work fine, but I wouldn't recommend Maxing HP over speed, uninvested Relicanth is just too slow. It has great natural bulk anyways, so speed is the way to go. And of course, 252 Adamant nature for the max damage output. I will update with replays to show his power if it is wanted.
I could see this being pushed up to C-. However my main issue with it is that Head Smash misses way to much for my taste, it is easily walled by various grass types in the tier (I realize you have zen headbutt for plume) and it is quite slow. The power from the Choice Banded Head Smash might be enough to push it up however. And yes, getting some replays against good players (probably shoot for at least 3) would be a good idea.

Edit: QQ pointed out that Headsmash does more to Vileplume anyways. So I guess Zen Headbutt is more for fighting types.

Last edited:
Hell all,
I would like to make a post on a mon that I have used for my entire time in the NU tier and have had repeated success with. It is one of my personal favorites: Cradily

This mon is currently in the C- range and I think it deserves to be at least in the C+ if not B- range. It is able to complete so many roles effectively allowing it to be quite unpredictable which makes it a game of finding out what the cradily plans on doing. It is often known to be a lead that sets up rocks and has quite reliable recovery. However it is capable of doing so much more.

One set that I like to use is a mixed specially bulky weakness policy set that can hurt most of the top threats in the tier. (Stone edge, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Recover) When people come across this set they will often taunt first to make sure cradily is unable to use rocks which will give cradily a free turn. Also when people are not expecting the weakness policy they will often throw random super effective attacks to wear it down but in turn allows it to be both bulky and offensively threatening. One common situation is against typhlosion who almost always carries focus blast. If it does manage to hit the blast cradily comes back with little damage and 1HKOs with stone edge. Or if it is against a flying type and they decide to u-turn out it will also get a boost.

Big deal. So it get's the boost. Now what is it going to do? Well because most of the top threats in the tier are weak to rock and grass it is able to kill things such as Shiftry with sludge bomb (shiftry can not put cradily below half without using swords dance so cradily can recover to take the knock off if it still has i's policy), Archeops (1HKO with stone edge before boost can't be touched by it after boost by using giga drain), Seismatoad (obvious reasons), any fire type (it can take any hit including specs eruption, then hit down the typhlosion so i's eruption is useless nd start recovering up), and any of the water sweepers, Sceptile (wp + sludge bomb vs focus blast), It can stall with tomb making them both die (unless crotomb), it can stall with weezing, easily kills rhydon, can wreck pyroar cause specs pyroar fire blast still doesn't touch cradily and can be eaten up by something with flash fire, can take a hit from accelgor and kill, can do damage to slurpuff, dragalge, and liepard before switching out, and is a perfect wall against things like ludicolo. Weakness policy stopping ludicolo from doing damage with ice beam.

+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Cradily: 316-374 (84.2 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Lum berry ice punch gatr
+2 52 SpA Cradily Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 338-398 (108.3 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Obviously it will kill if using life orb ice punch, but there is also the really common return set which can't even touch cradily.

+2 252+ SpA Gorebyss Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Cradily: 280-330 (74.6 - 88%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 52 SpA Cradily Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gorebyss: 366-432 (145.2 - 171.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ SpA Vivillon Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Cradily: 270-318 (72 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock It can also resist sleep powder
0 Atk Cradily Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Vivillon: 628-744 (208.6 - 247.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO Not even counting the weakness policy boost

The only things that will get passed cradily are barbacle after it has smashed, life orb gatr ice punch, and if gorebyss decides to use baton pass. You will need to learn to play around these things and keep hazzards off of your side of the field so it does require reasonable support.

It will not be able to live any stab se physical attacks from common things such as sawk or primeape. It is generally not set-up fodder because the vast magority of things that set up in this tier are either water type (Omastar, Barbacle, Ferealigatr, Samurott, Gorebyss, Carcosta), bug type (Vivilon), or just really frail (Mismagious, shiftry, ect...). However it does tend to be walled and set up fodder for steel types like pawniard and klinklank. Most of it's counters are steel type or AV hariyama. These are things that you might want to work around when team building.

It is largely outclassed by vileplume for a good amount of situations but it does have the rock type allowing it to be it's own niche. By definition B rank is "reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers. Pokemon who are partially outperformed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category."

Cradily is a threat and does not fit in it's current just above useless catagory.

Hell all,
I would like to make a post on a mon that I have used for my entire time in the NU tier and have had repeated success with. It is one of my personal favorites: Cradily

This mon is currently in the C- range and I think it deserves to be at least in the C+ if not B- range. It is able to complete so many roles effectively allowing it to be quite unpredictable which makes it a game of finding out what the cradily plans on doing. It is often known to be a lead that sets up rocks and has quite reliable recovery. However it is capable of doing so much more.

One set that I like to use is a mixed specially bulky weakness policy set that can hurt most of the top threats in the tier. (Stone edge, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Recover) When people come across this set they will often taunt first to make sure cradily is unable to use rocks which will give cradily a free turn. Also when people are not expecting the weakness policy they will often throw random super effective attacks to wear it down but in turn allows it to be both bulky and offensively threatening. One common situation is against typhlosion who almost always carries focus blast. If it does manage to hit the blast cradily comes back with little damage and 1HKOs with stone edge. Or if it is against a flying type and they decide to u-turn out it will also get a boost.

Big deal. So it get's the boost. Now what is it going to do? Well because most of the top threats in the tier are weak to rock and grass it is able to kill things such as Shiftry with sludge bomb (shiftry can not put cradily below half without using swords dance so cradily can recover to take the knock off if it still has i's policy), Archeops (1HKO with stone edge before boost can't be touched by it after boost by using giga drain), Seismatoad (obvious reasons), any fire type (it can take any hit including specs eruption, then hit down the typhlosion so i's eruption is useless nd start recovering up), and any of the water sweepers, Sceptile (wp + sludge bomb vs focus blast), It can stall with tomb making them both die (unless crotomb), it can stall with weezing, easily kills rhydon, can wreck pyroar cause specs pyroar fire blast still doesn't touch cradily and can be eaten up by something with flash fire, can take a hit from accelgor and kill, can do damage to slurpuff, dragalge, and liepard before switching out, and is a perfect wall against things like ludicolo. Weakness policy stopping ludicolo from doing damage with ice beam.

+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Cradily: 316-374 (84.2 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Lum berry ice punch gatr
+2 52 SpA Cradily Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 338-398 (108.3 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Obviously it will kill if using life orb ice punch, but there is also the really common return set which can't even touch cradily.

+2 252+ SpA Gorebyss Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Cradily: 280-330 (74.6 - 88%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 52 SpA Cradily Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gorebyss: 366-432 (145.2 - 171.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ SpA Vivillon Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Cradily: 270-318 (72 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock It can also resist sleep powder
0 Atk Cradily Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Vivillon: 628-744 (208.6 - 247.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO Not even counting the weakness policy boost

The only things that will get passed cradily are barbacle after it has smashed, life orb gatr ice punch, and if gorebyss decides to use baton pass. You will need to learn to play around these things and keep hazzards off of your side of the field so it does require reasonable support.

It will not be able to live any stab se physical attacks from common things such as sawk or primeape. It is generally not set-up fodder because the vast magority of things that set up in this tier are either water type (Omastar, Barbacle, Ferealigatr, Samurott, Gorebyss, Carcosta), bug type (Vivilon), or just really frail (Mismagious, shiftry, ect...). However it does tend to be walled and set up fodder for steel types like pawniard and klinklank. Most of it's counters are steel type or AV hariyama. These are things that you might want to work around when team building.

It is largely outclassed by vileplume for a good amount of situations but it does have the rock type allowing it to be it's own niche. By definition B rank is "reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers. Pokemon who are partially outperformed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category."

Cradily is a threat and does not fit in it's current just above useless catagory.
Possibly post a moveset? I agree with it moving up but not to C+ / B-. If it moves to C it would fit there nicely. It can play a neat defensive role during to its only two weaknesses - one being fighting, literally one of the most common offensive types in NU, and steel -- where Klinklang and Pawniard rome free. It does get access to SR, Recover, Stockpile, and decent coverage moves offensively; and many of the times it can be a Weakness Polish sweeper that's mixed. I agree with a move-up, but C+/B- is just a little too much imo.

It's also hard to predict due to there being so many sets.

Possibly post a moveset? I agree with it moving up but not to C+ / B-. If it moves to C it would fit there nicely. It can play a neat defensive role during to its only two weaknesses - one being fighting, literally one of the most common offensive types in NU, and steel -- where Klinklang and Pawniard rome free. It does get access to SR, Recover, Stockpile, and decent coverage moves offensively; and many of the times it can be a Weakness Polish sweeper that's mixed. I agree with a move-up, but C+/B- is just a little too much imo.

It's also hard to predict due to there being so many sets.
Stone edge, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb/Earth Power/HP Fire, Recover

It actually has 4 weaknesses (Ice, Fighting, Bug, and Steel) but as I've seen only the steel/fighting type stabs are a threat because it lives most other things that have stab se.

Stone edge, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb/Earth Power/HP Fire, Recover

It actually has 4 weaknesses (Ice, Fighting, Bug, and Steel) but as I've seen only the steel/fighting type stabs are a threat because it lives most other things that have stab se.
Ice isn't common in NU (HP ice exists but we don't have dragon/flying here like OU does; except altaria) and U-turn/Bug Buzz are the only two moves. Eut even then, Cradily gets coverage for BOTH these types in STAB SE.

I haven't seen Weakness Policy Cradily ever so I can't really judge it, though I doubt it's all that great... I have actually used a sweeper Cradily in NU on one of my teams last gen though, and it was pretty decent. Set was as follows:

Cradily @ Leftovers
Trait: Suction Cups
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Rock Slide

I paired it up with CM + Heal Bell Musharna as well as defensive Stunfisk to take on Klinklang and it was a pretty good defensive core overall. Suction Cups blocks phazing, so the only way to kill this is Taunt or bashing with powerful attacks like CB Sawk or Bulk Up Gurdurr (which is why I had Mushy, sadly they use Knock Off now). There's some other gimmicks that stop this too, like Encore, TrickScarf, Clear Smog etc but they're too uncommon and easy to see coming. It's pretty much a win condition like CroTomb or CroCune in UU/OU: you have something that can take it out fast, otherwise it starts setting up and you just lose. Just taking a quick look at the pokes in NU this set still looks like it sets up on the majority of walls and special attackers in the tier... Probably worth moving Cradily up because of that, because even though most teams have one poke that beats it like Gurdurr or Pawniard they are not too difficult to wear down and once they're gone not much can check Cradily after it's setup. This set isn't just a lategame sweeper obviously, it also tanks special hits and absorbs status and generally gives stally teams a headache. Btw don't use Seed Bomb, too much stuff that hard walls you like Vileplume, Ferroseed or Dragalge even at +6...

Oh, and it's a pretty good SR user too for what it's worth.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
Rhydon for A
With players abusing Combusken left and right in both tournaments and the ladder, Rhydon stands as its best counter. With access to both Roar and Dragon Tail, it is able to phaze something out no matter what while taking a pittance from Combusken's attacks. Xatu does not dare come in fear of Rock Blast and even Dragon Tail, making it a very solid stop to Combusken teams. However, with Combusken getting the boot soon enough, this large increase in viability and utility may be gone by the end of the month. Oh well.

Other than countering one of the best strategies at the moment, it is extremely bulky with an Eviolite and has a massive attack stat, making it a solid counter/check to many mons.

#CombuskenforUbers

P.S.
I have been pushing for a Liepard drop for a while now, as it peaked in the Sigilyph meta, but is still a solid threat and a stop to set-up sweepers with Priority Encore+T-Wave, and having a decently powered Knock Off. A- seems to fit it better.

P.S.S.
Mesprit is basically NU's Clefable in terms of versatility, fits on a lot of teams, and is essentially a jack-of-all-trades that does extremely well at all its roles. Definitely A

Last edited:

Ares

Rhydon for A
With players abusing Combusken left and right in both tournaments and the ladder, Rhydon stands as its best counter. With access to both Roar and Dragon Tail, it is able to phaze something out no matter what while taking a pittance from Combusken's attacks. Xatu does not dare come in fear of Rock Blast and even Dragon Tail, making it a very solid stop to Combusken teams. However, with Combusken getting the boot soon enough, this large increase in viability and utility may be gone by the end of the month. Oh well.

Other than countering one of the best strategies at the moment, it is extremely bulky with an Eviolite and has a massive attack stat, making it a solid counter/check to many mons.

#CombuskenforUbers

P.S.
I have been pushing for a Liepard drop for a while now, as it peaked in the Sigilyph meta, but is still a solid threat and a stop to set-up sweepers with Priority Encore+T-Wave, and having a decently powered Knock Off. A- seems to fit it better.

P.S.S.
Mesprit is basically NU's Clefable in terms of versatility, fits on a lot of teams, and is essentially a jack-of-all-trades that does extremely well at all its roles. Definitely A
I would wait to see if Combusken gets the boot before moving up Rhydon. As far as Mespirt goes I think it should move up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)