XY OU Big bird T and friends

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
Hey guys this is Jacks0n with my first proper RMT. Most people who know me would know me as jackson from ps, though I ladder on alts. When the Aegislash suspect was announced I was extremely happy, I had already asked Haunter for one, I found that its huge variety of Amazing qualities and traits made it too easy to slap on a team with no drawbacks, thus extremely over centralising (not the place to argue lol.) It took a while to find out were to start, but when I did I made this team I was really happy. Its given me a lot of success in the short amount of time I have played with it on the showdown, I was in the high 1800's and Im sure if I had more time I would've gotten higher.

Teambuilding process:

The team started with Clefable. Clefable's Calm Mind magic guard set is such a reliable sweeper. It wins countless of games, I personally think it is the most reliable sweeper in OU. Yes it cant wall break or apply the amount of pressure something like Charizard X, but once its checks/counters are gone, its almost a guaranteed sweep.
upload_2014-7-29_17-16-59.png

Keldeo is an amazing pokemon. It checks some dangerous pokemon as well as providing insane pressure with its specs stab moves, it is the best specs user in the tier. Keldeo is there to wallbreak, but to also support Clefable. Clefable hates Heatran, Bisharp and Excadrill, all of which keldeo takes into its stride, either KOing them or forcing them out.

upload_2014-7-29_17-17-23.png

Mega venusaur is the most prominent grass type in the tier. Its typing lets it go head to head with so many threats in the tier, such as Thundurus, Keldeo and Azumarill, all of which threaten the team. The offensive set comes in on so many threats, forces them out and then hits the switch in with powerful attacks.

upload_2014-7-29_17-21-54.png

Heatran is a godsend to this team. Yet it isn't the usual set. Scarf tran packs great power and unpredictability untop of its great natural bulk. It allows it to beat things like Mega Gardevoir, Mega Pinsir and Mega heracross, things that can usually beat it. It has so much suprise, catching things like landorus and thundurus off guard, scoring KO's. Heatran is invaluable, withought it lots of threats staight out beat me.

upload_2014-7-29_17-24-23.png

Assault Vest Tornadus-Therian is Amazing. The bulk, speed, utility and momentum it brings to the team as well as the fact that it check some scary pokemon is just priceless. Being a very good check to Mega venusaur and Landorus I is great, as well as checking keldeo, the lati's and gengar among others. It also provides the desperately needed ground Immunity.

upload_2014-7-29_17-28-33.png

Sp.defensive mew checks a lot of dangerous threats. It is a great check to thundurus, starmie and greninja as well as providing stealth rocks and stall breaking. It also spreads burns to cripple attackers which could otherwise threaten the team

upload_2014-7-29_17-28-33.png
upload_2014-7-29_17-32-54.png

Although the team was built around clefable, it was the most expendable member. Clefable was just there for a nice win con, but its slot couldv'e been used to check dangerous threats like pinsir, zard x and sand offence. Landorus T fit the bill, as well as being able to lay stealth rock.

upload_2014-8-12_16-22-19.png

Now onto the sets...​

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Landorus T has been a great replacement for clefable. All though I do think Lando T is overatted, It furfills a very important niche for this team. It can lay stealth rock, check pinsir and tflame, beat sand offence and ddance zard x (partially). Its really useful as a pivot and I have been really happy with how it has been performing on this team so far.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Icy Wind

Keldeo is, although a great wallbreaker, a pokemon that is needed for defensive reasons just as much as offensive on this team. It provides a great switch in to bisharp and heatran, as well as excadrill when I know the iron head is coming (outside of sand and when clefable is in). I find myself always spamming scald, almost never hydro pump. Hidden power [Electric] is for gyarados, which otherwise is extremely dangerous for the team. Keldeo provides much loved power and speed, as well as a typing that is necessary.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mega venusaur is an amazing pokemon. It checks some huge threats for the team, some of these being taunt thundurus, keldeo, azumarill, hippodown and suicune as well as being able to switch into Mega Mawile. It also provides something to at least try to stand up against sand offence, this teams biggest threat. Not much to say here, just a team necessity.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power

Scarf Heatran is a huge suprise to many teams. No one expects it, they click return with their Mega Pinsir only to find they have taken an Overheat to the face. Overheat hits really hard, flash cannon is a great cleaning move and ancient power hits zard y and tflame, two HUGE threats as well as overheat hitting opposing Heatran's as well as zard x, I run timid to outspeed it when it is at +1. This set is amazing and Heatran holds this team together, covering some dangerous threats such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Charizard y, the Lati's etc.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 168 HP / 160 SpA / 12 SpD / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast

Tornadus-Therian is amazing. It provides bucketloads of utility, momentum and speed, something the rest of the team sorely lacks. It comfortably beats the Lati's 1v1 as well as keldeo. It also provides a must needed switch in to landorus I and Mega venusuar, two insanely scary pokemon. It slowly wears down and cripples teams, leaving holes for mew or Heatran or Keldeo to take advantage of. The speed outspeeds max speed Latios/Latias, I chose this over outspeeding thundurus because thundurus can just paralyze and cripple me, so I can never keep this thing in Against it. The sp.attack guarantees a KO on keldeo with hurricane and the rest is put in to bulk, the strange SpD and HP ev's are because I needed max HP but an odd number to reduce SR damage.

Calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 168 HP / 12 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 177-211 (51.9 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Torn can switch in on these hits, then procede to Knock off then U-turn to regain health. If tornadus hits latias with a Knock off prior to the Draco Meteor it does barely anything.

252 SpA Latias Draco Meteor vs. 168 HP / 12 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 136-162 (39.8 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Sp.defensive mew is amazing with aegi gone. It checks a wide variety of dangerous special attacking threats as well as constantly pressuring teams, especially stall teams. Wisp + knock off + roost + taunt is a super deadly combo. Greninja no longer runs dark pulse with aegi gone, so it takes that really well, as well as psychic/ hp flying thundy, starmie and a bunch of other deadly spcial attacking threats. It has amazing utility and is very important for the team.​
Calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 244+ SpD Mew: 134-160 (33.2 - 39.7%) -- 17.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mew can wisp + roost stall thundy

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 244+ SpD Mew: 144-172 (35.7 - 42.6%) -- 91.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I need to play more carefully against greninja, but mew still takes it into its stride.

All in all I have been very happy with the team, but It has some noticable flaws that make it quite match up reliant, that is why I come to you for help :)

Threats:

Charizard-mega-y:

Mega charizard Y is a huge threat for the team. It beats almost everything 1v1 apart from tran, but if it runs EQ or Focust blast, and predicts well it can easily spell end for my team.

Bird spam:
+

Talonflame and Mega pinsir can wear down my checks, tran and lando t well, leaving big holes for them to take advantage of.

Slowbro:

Slowbro can switch in to quite a few members of my team, leaving me with no real safe switch in to it, its not that problematic but its hard to play around.

Mega garchomp:

Mega chomp, especially in sand, and especially mixed is so scary. Its power, on both spectrums, as well as bulk are super threatening to my team, a well played mega chomp can put me in a bad position.

Stall teams with a Charizard-mega-x backbone:
+
+
Charizard x on stall completely stomps on my main stallbreaker, mew, I need to play really well if I want to win against these teams.
That is the end of my RMT. Any advice or suggestions are very welcome, extremely big or extremely small.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey Jackson! Very interesting team you have here. It honestly looks like stall + Keldeo in the team preview but obviously your sets suggest otherwise!

Regarding your issues against sand and outside of outright changing a team member, Superpower over Heatwave on Tornadus might help you out rather than just hitting Ttar with a weak U-turn. You do already have a Heatran, HP Fire Venu and Flamethrower Clef so I can't imagine you having too just trouble against Scizor, Skarmory and Ferrothorn.

Modest Scarf Tran hits Zard Y harder with Ancient Power (slight chance to OHKO) and you still get to outrun Greninja. Modest also secures the Overheat OHKO against Mega Medi (which likes to lead against Rocks Heatran so you can bluff and dispose of it right away). You've probably considered Stone Edge already but I'll just mention it cos it has an 80% chance to OHKO Y even with - Atk. Also Timid Heatran doesn't outrun +1 Adamant Zard X (unless it's very bulky).

That's all I can think of right now. Bored to death in a Contracts lecture lol. I'll hit you up on showdown later :) I have a bunch of two minute teams to test out.

Good luck fren.

Alright, late-night rate here, so if what I'm saying sounds absolutely stupid then that's why lol.

Firstly, like you've stated, Sand Offense seems really scary for this team. Excadrill puts an immense amount of pressure on this team, especially late-game, and you're basically forced to predict it correctly to stall for sand turns. I think this could be especially scary in combination with Talonflame or Mega Pinsir, as Excadrill can beat Heatran in the Sand, allowing for one of them to sweep. My recommendation would be to try Physically Defensive Rotom-W > Keldeo. My reasons for this are that not only does Rotom-W easily deal with Sand Rush Excadrill, but it also acts as a secondary check to Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. I don't really find the wallbreaking power of Keldeo necessary, anyways, considering Magic Guard Clefable does extremely well against stall.

My next suggestion would be to use Stone Edge > Ancient Power on Heatran. The reason is because it actually does more damage to its intended targets, as seen here:

0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 292-344 (97.9 - 115.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 256-304 (85.9 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 340-400 (108.9 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 276-328 (88.4 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Hopefully this helps! :]

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
Alright, late-night rate here, so if what I'm saying sounds absolutely stupid then that's why lol.

Firstly, like you've stated, Sand Offense seems really scary for this team. Excadrill puts an immense amount of pressure on this team, especially late-game, and you're basically forced to predict it correctly to stall for sand turns. I think this could be especially scary in combination with Talonflame or Mega Pinsir, as Excadrill can beat Heatran in the Sand, allowing for one of them to sweep. My recommendation would be to try Physically Defensive Rotom-W > Keldeo. My reasons for this are that not only does Rotom-W easily deal with Sand Rush Excadrill, but it also acts as a secondary check to Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. I don't really find the wallbreaking power of Keldeo necessary, anyways, considering Magic Guard Clefable does extremely well against stall.

My next suggestion would be to use Stone Edge > Ancient Power on Heatran. The reason is because it actually does more damage to its intended targets, as seen here:

0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 292-344 (97.9 - 115.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 256-304 (85.9 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 340-400 (108.9 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 276-328 (88.4 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Hopefully this helps! :]
Thanks heaps LightningLuxray , rotom wash sounds really promising, can't believe I hadn't thought of that yet, then I become a lot weaker to bisharp but I can just play around with the pokes, thanks heaps my fren!

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
Hey Jackson! Very interesting team you have here. It honestly looks like stall + Keldeo in the team preview but obviously your sets suggest otherwise!

Regarding your issues against sand and outside of outright changing a team member, Superpower over Heatwave on Tornadus might help you out rather than just hitting Ttar with a weak U-turn. You do already have a Heatran, HP Fire Venu and Flamethrower Clef so I can't imagine you having too just trouble against Scizor, Skarmory and Ferrothorn.

Modest Scarf Tran hits Zard Y harder with Ancient Power (slight chance to OHKO) and you still get to outrun Greninja. Modest also secures the Overheat OHKO against Mega Medi (which likes to lead against Rocks Heatran so you can bluff and dispose of it right away). You've probably considered Stone Edge already but I'll just mention it cos it has an 80% chance to OHKO Y even with - Atk. Also Timid Heatran doesn't outrun +1 Adamant Zard X (unless it's very bulky).

That's all I can think of right now. Bored to death in a Contracts lecture lol. I'll hit you up on showdown later :) I have a bunch of two minute teams to test out.

Good luck fren.
Yeh hey daft, I'll make the changes u said, talk on ps later fren n_n

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Pretty solid team, looks very similar to Crystalised

first I would agree with the suggestion of stone edge > ancient power and perhaps make Heatran modest. Zard still outspeeds unless its bulky zard and then its running roost and has the bulk to eat up hits anyway.

Additionally, I would consider toxic on mew over will o wisp. will o wisp is mainly used for hitting steel/poison types and not the attack drop and with toxi you can hit charizard so you can stall it out if its bulky zard. Your team handles steel types very well with either their natural typing or their moveset so they are not a problem and poison types are rare [only venusaur/gengar are really that common off the top of my head]. the attack drop from will o may be a bit hard to give up but hey toxic is more accurate and better against a few mons.

lastly i would consider making clefable a unaware variant to handle NP thund, dd zard x, sdpinsir, and other boosting mons a bit better. taking damage to rocks without a way to remove hazards is annoying, but it really helps you not autolose to those few boosting mons.

Hey grassycow, this is a very very solid balanced team! At first look, I literally see no problems with the team, as you handled every relevant threat pretty well :] Gratz on the final product! I also like the idea of Scarf Heatran, since it can net surprise kills on Mega Pinsir, an otherwise big threat to your team. I have only some slight suggestions to make, so I guess I'll give this a rate! x)

1. Landorus-T
I always run 88 speed EVs on PhyDef Landorus to outspeed Adamant Bisharps so they cannot knock off you. Some might not even expect you to outspeed and not go for Sucker, thus landing you a free kill essentially. The set is below. 180 Hp for Lefties number, 88 speed to hit 240, and the rest into Def.
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 180 HP / 240 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

2. Keldeo
With a Mega Venusaur, you don't really face any problems against Azumarills and Gyarados at all. Because of this, I find Hp Electric redundant. I suggest swapping Hp Electric for Icy Wind. Icy Wind allows you to 2HKO Latios on switch in, and after the speed drop, you can outspeed and kill it. Your team does not really have a reliable way of getting rid of the Lati twins, since Heatran isn't spdef. Getting of a huge hit with Icy Wind can be very crucial.
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Icy Wind

3. Heatran
Once again, really nice set! However, I suggest running 24 attack EVs on Heatran to have a 100% chance of OHKO-ing Zard Y with Stone Edge.

Calc: 24- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 300-356 (101 - 119.8%) -- Guaranteed OHKO

This is the set:
Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power

Gratz on the solid team once again! Hope you benefited from this, cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)