XY OU Semi Stall Johto Themed Team

Introduction
Hi everyone, I'm back for feedback on a johto themed team I have put together. I have decided to make it a semi stall team as I feel that the johto dex lends itself to a lot of great defensive pokemon. I am open to suggestions on sets, EV spreads and choice of pokemon in general. When making suggestions please note that the pokemon need to originate from the johto region and I do not wish to put legendary pokemon on this team. Thanks in advance for the rate and suggestions!

Team Overview

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce

EV's: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Yawn
- Psychic

Meet my Dual Screens Lead Espeon. Espeons magic bounce ability can greatly advantage the team, leaving the opposition incapable of safely setting up hazards. In battle I generally set up Reflect first followed by light screen in order to patch up Espeon's poor Defense. The light clay then extends the amount of turns my screens are up allowing me to get a yawn off. From here I generally switch out into a sweeper. I have chosen to go with psychic as feel as though Espeon needs to have one attacking move to make most of it's already great sp. Attack. The EV spread causes
espeon to outspeed most pokemon, allowing me to get the all important reflect off before I can be attacked by my opposition. HP investment also gives espeon some needed bulk.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EV's: 92 HP/ 252 Attack/ 164 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Meet Belly Drum Azumarill, one of the most fierce sweepers in the game. The EV spread allows for added bulk due to the fact that Azumarill needs to be as healthy as possible in able to sweep. It also allows Azumarill to hit as hard as possible alongside it's adamant nature. The Sitrus Berry helps to regain lost health after the belly drum. Aqua Jet is mandatory due to the fact it's got priority and can kill many opponents anyway after a belly drum. Waterfall is an added stab and play rough is here for fairy stab. I usually switch into Azumarill straight after Espeon sets up screens. Overall a typical Azumarill set.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EV's: 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 Sp.Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet
Punch
- U-turn

Scizor is my chosen mega in this themed team. I have also chosen it's Defog set to give much needed support to the team, in particular Azumarill. The Scizorite Gives Scizor an awesome Defense boost that I feel is definitely worth taking advantage of. The EV spread is meant to once again make advantage of scizor's defensive capabilities alongside it's Impish Nature. Roost is imperative as I can regain all important HP and bullet punch is my technician boosted priority move I use to revenge kill. U-Turn is there for stab and allows me to gain momentum. Once again a very standard but perhaps underrated scizor set.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EV's: 252 HP/ 16 Def/ 240 Sp. Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird

I have chosen the perhaps underrated specially defensive Skarmory set. The EV spread and Impish Nature allows for as much bulk as possible. I have chosen the specially defensive set in order to patch up the weaker of Skarmory's two defensive stats. This allows me to safely set up stealth rocks against a wider array of pokemon. Whirlwind is there to force switches against pokemon I cannot touch. Brave Bird is there for stab and roost allows me to recover HP lost in recoil. Stealth Rock also offers support against enemies such as Talonflame.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Sp. Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

I have chosen Physically defensive Quagsire for this spot on my team. Unaware allows Leaves Quagsire unaffected by the physical set up sweepers it walls. The relaxed Nature alongside the EV spread maximises it's physical walling capabilities. Leftovers gives Quagsire Continuous recovery each turn. Scald helps Quagsire further shut down physical attackers with the chance of a burn. Earthquake is there for stab and coverage. Toxic and recover allow me to stall out enemies I cannot otherwise kill. Although Quagsire has great defensive typing, it does have a 4x weakness to grass, however I feel as though a Scizor provides great synergy to cover this weakness. Venasaur can easily shut down Quagsire however Espeon's psychic attack and Skarmory's Brave Bird helps counter it.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EV's: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Sp. Def
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Last but not least is specially defensive, Eviolite Porygon2. The Eviolite does wonders and boosts both Defense stats so much that it is still capable of walling both physical and special attackers. The EV spread and nature maximises Porygon2's specially defensive capabilies. I have opted with trace as I can use it to steal abilities such as protean from the likes of Greninja. Classic BoltBeam gives me at least neutral coverage against almost all opponents. Thunder wave can prove to be very useful, allowing my team to outspeed many fast threats. Recover is mandatory as it is my only form of recovery. Porygon2 needs to have as much HP as possible in order to be effective so it forms great synergy with scizor due to Defog.

Last edited:
Ok. My first two things are a matter of preference, but I think you will want to hear them anyways.

If you want the hazard setters to switch out and have yourself controlling the field, then keep espeon in first. But if you want the hazards to be on the hazard setter's side, or you want to get stealth rocks up before dual screens, I would lead with skarmory and switch into espeon. The one you have is probably better, but I would give this a shot too.

The second one is azumarill. I personally dislike the belly drum set, but it can work really well in some circumstances. In others... not so much. Ferrothorn, aegislash, and venusaur can all wall it with the right sets, as well as any unaware pokemon. And shedinja

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 298-351 (81.8 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 132-156 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
I don't even need a calc for kings shield xD
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 212-250 (60.2 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 189-222 (53.6 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 296-350 (73.2 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Your main issue will be ferrothorn, specifically the rocky helmet version. While it would be 2hkoed by azumarill, it can deal a lot of damage with the iron barbs + rocky helmet, and then finish azumarill off with power whip. A lot of other pokemon, if they apply enough offensive pressure, will be able to easily stop your azumarill. I prefer to run the choice band set, looking somewhat like this:

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Evs: 252 Attk/ 252 (speed or hp)/ 4 (hp or speed)
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Filler

While this one doesn't hit quite as hard, it isn't afraid of switching out and it isn't taken out quite so simply. This is just a matter of preference though.

The typing of your team is pretty good. You have a pretty good mix between physical and special walls. Although, if you run into a shedinja, run for your life. The only pokemon that can hit shedinja is skarmory, but that isn't an issue since shedinja is rarely ever used in OU.

I think that your team looks really good, and I couldn't find any needed changes. The only changes I can think of are personal preference, so you can use them or choose not to. But overall, good job on the team.

Btw, add shedinja to the threat list xD

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the rate Deathly,
Sending Skarmory out first to set up rocks followed by espeon does make sense and I will definitely experiment with this strategy when battling.
I will also have a play with choice band Azumarill and compare it with Belly Drum Azumarill and see which I prefer. I can see how the choice band will increase Azumarill's longevity on the field but I am not sure I like being locked into one move until I switch out. Having said this I can see the pros from both sets so I will definitely give choice band a try.
I see what you mean about Shedinja... Tbh it never even crossed my mind as a major threat until you pointed that out.
Once again thanks a lot for making the effort to reply :)
I would still appreciate critique from others if anyone has something to suggest :)

By putting in a Choice Band Azumarill, Dual Screens Espeon becomes obsolete, as you have no more Pokes that need to setup and many are bulky enough to survive enough hits for sweeping. Instead switch to a more offensive Espeon, or an Alakazam or an offense/defense Sylveon for more offensive pressure on an opposing team.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam/Hidden Power Ice (Change the IVs)
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball/Focus Blast

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fire/Ground

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

For Espeon you could try a Baton Passer or just all out attack, although it is mainly a dual screener.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)