move 3: Moonblast
move 4: Toxic
ability: Clear Body
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
nature: Relaxed

Moves
========

- Diamond Storm kills Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, and Thundurus, while giving the potential to raise your defense by 1 stage.
- Moonblast is a secondary STAB to hit dragons.
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- HP Fire

Set Details
========

- Full defense to take hits from Talonflame and Zard X.
- Relaxed Nature to avoid reducing bulk and attacking power.

Usage Tips
========

USAGE TIPS GO HERE

Team Options
========

- Diancie is setup fodder for Mega Scizor, so Zard X and Heatran are good partners.
- Pokemon that like having Talonflame keep at bay as such Keldeo and Mega Heracross.
- Strong water resists.

Other Options
########

OTHER OPTIONS GOES HERE. STUFF LIKE ALTERNATE MOVES, ALTERNATE SETS, NICHE STUFF THAT DOESN'T GET A MAIN SET MENTION

Checks & Counters
########

- Heatran
- Mega Scizor
- Ferrothorn

Last edited:
I've tested this set and I've actually found it to be Diancie's best set.

CroDiancie
########
name: CroDiancie
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Moon Blast
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Def
nature: Bold

What do you guys think?

0 SpA Diancie Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 156-184 (44.3 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Diancie Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 176-208 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Diancie Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 208-248 (60.4 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 264-312 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 352-420 (115.7 - 138.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 134-158 (44 - 51.9%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO

Hidden Power Fire is piss weak, I think it should be deslashed. Maybe a mention in moves is good enough. Scizor 2HKOs most of the time, only losing about more than half of its HP. CB Scizor just OHKOs. Ferrothorn is 3HKOd, and even though it can't 2HKO back, it still doesn't take enough damage to be considered notable. Toxic is pretty good anyways.

I'd also mention a spread of Relaxed 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD as it allows Diancie to avoid the 2HKO from a LO Thundurus's Thunderbolt. Diancie, with 8 Attack EVs, has an 87% chance to OHKO with Diamond Storm back. The Defense EVs don't really change anything notable I think, but I haven't calced it completely through.

I'd also mention what things Diancie can pivot into. From the looks of it, it can switch into Latios / Latias really well.

I've tested this set and I've actually found it to be Diancie's best set.

CroDiancie
########
name: CroDiancie
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Moon Blast
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Def
nature: Bold

What do you guys think?
Where have you tested this? Also, from the looks of it, one of Diancie's main niches is setting up Stealth Rock, so I'm very doubtful of how /good/ this set is in comparison to Subject 18's set listed.

0 SpA Diancie Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 156-184 (44.3 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Diancie Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 176-208 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Diancie Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 208-248 (60.4 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 264-312 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 352-420 (115.7 - 138.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 134-158 (44 - 51.9%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO

Hidden Power Fire is piss weak, I think it should be deslashed. Maybe a mention in moves is good enough. Scizor 2HKOs most of the time, only losing about more than half of its HP. CB Scizor just OHKOs. Ferrothorn is 3HKOd, and even though it can't 2HKO back, it still doesn't take enough damage to be considered notable. Toxic is pretty good anyways.

I'd also mention a spread of Relaxed 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD as it allows Diancie to avoid the 2HKO from a LO Thundurus's Thunderbolt. Diancie, with 8 Attack EVs, has an 87% chance to OHKO with Diamond Storm back. The Defense EVs don't really change anything notable I think, but I haven't calced it completely through.

I'd also mention what things Diancie can pivot into. From the looks of it, it can switch into Latios / Latias really well.

Where have you tested this? Also, from the looks of it, one of Diancie's main niches is setting up Stealth Rock, so I'm very doubtful of how /good/ this set is in comparison to Subject 18's set listed.
It may not be the best but it certainly gave stall a very hard time when I used it. I tested it on the latter so if you want I can get some more replays of it in action. The thing is basically CroCune but it's Diancie. More weaknesses, but more bulk, resistances(and an immunity), and higher SpA. I also has the ability to set up CMs in the face of Bulky DD and WoW Zard X. If anything I think it should be in OO.

It may not be the best but it certainly gave stall a very hard time when I used it. I tested it on the latter so if you want I can get some more replays of it in action. The thing is basically CroCune but it's Diancie. More weaknesses, but more bulk, resistances(and an immunity), and higher SpA. I also has the ability to set up CMs in the face of Bulky DD and WoW Zard X. If anything I think it should be in OO.
I suppose it could work, but the main advantage I see using CroCune over this set is that Suicune has a better defensive typing (two weaknesses), a better HP stat, which lets it take overall hits much better, and gets Scald over Moonblast, which has the burn chance over a Special Attack stat drop. Diancie has many common weaknesses. Steel (Scizor), Ground (Earthquake), Grass (Mega Venusaur), and Water (Greninja).

And like I said, one of the only reasons Diancie is going to see OU usage is for Stealth Rock. Its terrible defensive typing really lets it down, and playing a role as defensive as CroCune really requires that almost any hit can be taken with ease.

I suppose it could work, but the main advantage I see using CroCune over this set is that Suicune has a better defensive typing (two weaknesses), a better HP stat, which lets it take overall hits much better, and gets Scald over Moonblast, which has the burn chance over a Special Attack stat drop. Diancie has many common weaknesses. Steel (Scizor), Ground (Earthquake), Grass (Mega Venusaur), and Water (Greninja).

And like I said, one of the only reasons Diancie is going to see OU usage is for Stealth Rock. Its terrible defensive typing really lets it down, and playing a role as defensive as CroCune really requires that almost any hit can be taken with ease.
In my experience the set actually beats mega Venu after it sets up one CM. Giga Drain does nothing after one CM and then you can take one, set up another, rest talk, set up to +6 and eventually the Mega Venusaur will run out of Synthesis PP and you'll kill it. It does this to Rotom-W too. The thing is that it gives stall a hard time but heavy hitting SE hits from an offensive team give it a hard time.

In my experience the set actually beats mega Venu after it sets up one CM. Giga Drain does nothing after one CM and then you can take one, set up another, rest talk, set up to +6 and eventually the Mega Venusaur will run out of Synthesis PP and you'll kill it.
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Diancie: 182-216 (59.8 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Diancie: 122-146 (40.1 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It seems like a clean 2HKO.

252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Diancie: 182-216 (59.8 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Diancie: 122-146 (40.1 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It seems like a clean 2HKO.
I didn't say switch into the Venu -.-

set up a CM against something that can't stop you and then if they go into Mega Venu you're already at +1 SpD and it won't 2HKO, not to mention not all Mega Venu run max SpA.

The reason that Cro-Diancie set is kinda meh is the physical weaknesses, making it super outclassed by Suicune. For Suicune, you need to eliminate pokemon with strong physical grass and electric attacks, who can otherwise stop it regardless of boosts. That's basically Breloom, Ferrothorn, LO Kyu-B, and Victini, and Suicune can wear all of them down with Scald which will eventually burn if they switch in too many times.

Diancie needs to eliminate anything with a strong Earthquake for starters, as well as anything with a steel move (Excadrill, Scizor, Bisharp), physical water attackers (Azumarill, Gyarados), and the same physical grass attackers (Breloom, Ferrothorn).

They of course share the same checks that use special utility moves to stop them like Taunt, Clear Smog, and Trick (btw Suicune can PP stall some of these because Pressure). They both fall to super strong physical attackers, in fact Suicune actually does slightly better with them (and can burn them too).

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 151-178 (49.6 - 58.5%)
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 181-214 (44.8 - 52.9%)

Suicune also has better speed, more often allowing it to Rest before the opponent attacks if it's on low health, Calm Mind before strong special attackers like Mega Venusaur hit them to reduce the damage, and Scald to finish off or potentially burn opponents before they can hit it.

So for pure sweeping, Suicune far outclasses Diancie. Diancie's only niche is being able to check a few threats throughout the game that Suicune has a harder time with, like Fire Punch Dragonite, or some other examples that are honestly hard to think of. Suicune still checks and sets up on far more things than Diancie, it can check nearly any physical attacker because it's not weak to their attacks and Scald can burn things like Azumarill when it otherwise isn't doing any damage back.

Also while nothing is immune to Diancie's Moonblast, without that passive Burn damage or pressure to help PP stall, it loses to things at +6 when it can't do enough damage, like against Chansey.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Diancie us actually a pretty decent TR lead, certainly better than its other sets anyway so I'd add this to the analysis :

Trick Room Lead
########
name: Trick Room Lead
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Diamond Storm
move 4: Explosion
item: Mental Herb
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
nature: Brave
IVs: 0 Spe

Last edited:
Question: why use Diance's first set when Rhyperior counters/checks Zard-X and Talonflame, has SR, and does other stuff?
Because its technically OU, and it has to get an OU analysis. Even though this thing isnt that good, its one of the few things that is can accomplish.

maybe mention hp fire as a lure to like ferrothorn who switches in scotch free otherwise. mono cm is a no no-- too many weaks

MagikaripIsOP diancie can counter lati@s and other dragons much better barring garchomp due to the fairy typing which makes it unique i guess. plus diamond storm is cool

Hm wouldn't a TR/SR/Diamond Storm/Kaboom or Rest set be useful on a TR team? Like something similar to what Albacore posted, IMO it should at least be mentioned in OO (TR)(Well maybe Explosion too? lol)

So when I created the OU Diancie thread, I theorymonned a bunch of sets that could potentially be viable, and the one I eventually came to the conclusion that would be best suited to the meta is this one:

Assault Vest
#########
Move 1: Diamond Storm
Move 2: Moonblast
Move 3: Psychic
Move 4: Hidden Power Ice
Ability: Clear Body
Item: Assault Vest
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD

The EVs guarantee that Timid Charizard-Y only 3HKOs Diancie with Solar Beam after Stealth Rock, turning this set into a solid Zard Y counter. Calcs time:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Diancie: 112-132 (36.9 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 532-628 (178.5 - 210.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Diancie: 170-202 (56.1 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 372-436 (137.2 - 160.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Diancie: 68-82 (22.4 - 27%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 288-342 (96 - 114%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Diancie: 81-96 (26.7 - 31.6%) -- 44.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 576-676 (193.2 - 226.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Diancie: 54-64 (17.8 - 21.1%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Diancie Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 164-194 (62.5 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Diancie: 118-140 (38.9 - 46.2%) -- 20.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Diancie Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 188-224 (62.2 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Diancie: 108-127 (35.6 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 153-181 (55 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 Atk Life Orb Tornadus-T Superpower vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Diancie: 78-92 (25.7 - 30.3%) -- 6.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 288-342 (96.3 - 114.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Diancie: 43-52 (14.1 - 17.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 174-206 (45.3 - 53.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Diancie: 35-42 (11.5 - 13.8%) -- possible 7HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Diancie Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 192-228 (45.3 - 53.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

It's a niche check/counter to some of the more threatening Pokemon in OU, but it's something. Also worth noting is that Megazard X, Keldeo, Dragonite, Gliscor, Greninja, Terrakion, and Sheer Force Landorus-I can't switch in because they are all 2HKO'd by the appropriate coverage move and can't OHKO in return, (some can't even 2HKO after the Diamond Storm physical defense buff.)

TL;DR version:

Loses 1v1:
  • Mega Charizard Y
  • Mega Pinsir
  • Thundurus
  • Talonflame
  • Gengar
  • Latios
  • Mega Gardevoir
  • Tornadus-T
  • Zapdos
  • Mandibuzz
Can't switch in safely:
  • Mega Charizard X
  • Keldeo
  • Dragonite
  • Gliscor
  • Greninja
  • Terrakion
  • Landorus-I (Sheer Force)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)