XY OU Offensive Entry Hazard Team (1350+)

I have been watching this forum for a few weeks now and I have tested a lot of pokémon (almost everyone in the OU tier) My favorite strategy is to have control over entry hazards, using defog, rapid spin, toxic spikes and stealth rock in my team and have good offensive, fast pokemon (5/6 pokemon has 252 speed lol)

Team Building:
I started with one of my favorite pokémon: Scolipede. Scolipede is fast and he can always put Toxic Spikes on and often kill the opponent before fainting.
My second choice was Excadrill. He is there for another entry hazard: Stealth Rock. He also can do Rapid Spin to have full control over entry hazards in the battle field.
The last pokemon that has anything to do with entry hazards is Latias. With Defog he does pretty much the same job as Excadrill, but because of her speed she is faster most of the games.
For the last 3 pokémon I focussed on the weaknesses of my current pokemon. Manaphy with Surf and Ice Beam could kill pokémon with my current weaknesses.
Mega Heracross, Mega Scizor and Mega Pinsir were still weaknesses so I decided to go for Talonflame. Because of my entry hazard control I don't have problems with 50% lose due to Stealth Rock.
My last pokemon, my Mega, was Manectric. He can deal with lots of Flying pokemon if Manaphy couldn't do the job with Ice Beam and Water pokemon (especially Azumarill, Greninja and Rotom-Wash) because I don't have a grass type

My Team:
Fastest Ever (Scolipede) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
-Protect
-Endeavor
-Toxic Spikes
-Megahorn
Scolipede has max IVs and EVs on Speed and with 323 speed there is nearly any faster pokemon. When I encounter a faster pokemon, like Greninja, Weavile and Talonflame, I start with Protect, having a 1.5x boost thanks to Speed Boost. At 484 speed only Deoxys Speed and Priority moves outspeed him. At this point I can do Toxic Spikes before being attacked. The 3rd move is for Endeavor when Focus Sash saved me or for Megahorn if I have pretty much HP left.
Weaknesses: Steel pokémon (can't do Toxic Spikes) and Priority Moves (can't do Endeavor)

Spinner (Excadrill) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock
-Iron Head
-Earthquake
I know Excadrill often has 252 Speed but this one doesn't. His 252 EVs on HP helps him winning one attack often so his speed isn't needed. Also, his 88 speed is good, but there are a few OU pokémon who can still out speed him, so those 252 EVs are pretty much wasted then. Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin is for the entry hazard control and Iron Head and Earthquake covers pretty much types (fire, electric, rock, fairy, ice and poison)
Weaknesses: Fast offensive attackers like Greninja and Ghost types that can stop Rapid Spin

Little Helper (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Healing Wish
-Psyshock
-Draco Meteor
-Defog
Defog is my last move for entry hazard control. It works great when Excadrill has fainted or when there is an offensive attacker that outspeeds Excadrill. Draco Meteor and Psyshock are both great STAB moves and Healing Wish is very nice when one of my pokemon has almost fainted.
Weaknesses: He is often 2HKOed because of low def and HP and Life Orb. However, Healing Wish does a great job here when she only has 30% left.

Womanaphy (Manaphy) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Energy Ball
-Tail Glow
One Tail Glow boostes her Sp. Atk by 2.5x and 2 Tail Glows boostes her Sp. Atk by 4x. After this boost she OHKO's pretty much everything. Surf and Ice Beam covers up everything except Water. Energy Ball is for anoying water types like Azumarill and Greninja. I don't really understand why she is not in OU because for me she works better than Greninja and (mega) Gyarados. Belly Drum Azumarill instead of her is the only case of doubt for Manaphy, but at this point I like Manaphy more.
Weaknesses: Focus Sash is very annoying for manaphy. Her HP is not as low as Latias' but she can be killed pretty fast against a 252 EV attacker. Getting Paralyzed is another disappointment but luckily she has a Lum Berry

Bird is the Word (TalonFlame) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: I am not sure about those EVs and I often keep switchting around between offensive and defensive EVs. At this point I use 252 Spe, 212 Atk, 40 HP
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
-Roost
-U-Turn
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
The main thing I do with Talonflame is to hit the opponent with Brave Bird or Flare Blitz, take the 33% recoil and then use Roost. U-Turn is there for annoying water and rock types, because she outspeeds most of her opponents, U-turn is great for her
Weaknesses: A Super-Effective move after taking recoil damage. At 75% she is dead fast if hit super-effective.

Switching 2.0 (Manectric) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod -> Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk_
-Volt Switch
-Thunder Bolt
-Flamethrower
-HP Ice
I like Mega Manectric very very much because of his Volt Switch. Only Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Alakazam and Speed Deoxys outspeeds him. Thunderbolt is there if I want to keep him in the game (for example vs. a water pokémon where he and Manaphy are my only counters. If Manaphy has fainted, I don't want it to switch out. Thunderbolt keeps him in the game. Flamethrower and HP Ice is for type coverage. Especially vs Ground types
Weaknesses: Priority moves and Ground Types. Ground types prevent Volt Switch and HP Ice only have 60 base power. A few priority moves kills Manectric too

Thanks for reading. I hope you can give ideas so I can make this team better and hit the 1400/1500

Hey bud, nice team :]
I think that your scolepide is pretty outclassed by other leads, due to its inability to set up stealth rocks. I would recommend changing it up for a smeargle or fortress, which both provides better overall hazard control, but lacks a bit when it comes to offense.

Sets:
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- Toxic Spikes/spikes
- Memento

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat/sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball/volt switch
- Toxic Spikes/spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

The reason I have slashed spikes over toxic spikes is because it often a better support for offensive teams.

Moving on, if excadrill is your spinner, running a focus sash is pretty on necessary, I would recommend you to try out the scarfed set, this will allow you to almost guaranteed get off a spin ^^ scarfed exca is also a really good revenge killer, as you don't need it to set up rocks anymore.

Excadrill:
Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

A jolly nature is chosen to outspeed adamant zard x at +1

Moving on, with only one crippling rock weakness, you don't need a defogger and a spinner, leaving the defog slot free, or even the pokemon slot free. However, Latias is still a great mon, so you can easily keep it.

For talonflame, as you mention life orb is kinda crippling for it, I suggest changing it for a sharp beak, and go with sword dance > u-turn this will give you a really powerful setup sweeper that can clean with ease late game. A sharp beak will also not reveal your item, meaning that you can bluff a band.

Talonflame:
Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

The evs are to outspeed Thundurus, but a simple 252 att 252 spe 4 def/Spd will make you hit harder, which is always nice ^^

Anyways hope it helped ^^

I can't say I'm too experienced in rating teams but I'm going to give it a shot. First, I see that you have don't really have a set revenge killer. I would say that you need a faster pokemon that already has decent speed and damage prowess. Maybe even just someone with a priority move. Belly Drum Azumarill does this and could take the spot of Manaphy in your team. IF you changed to Azumarill, you would also have a decent fairy presence to take on dragons and fighting types which are all too common in the OU metagame. The huge power boost on aqua jet makes a nice revenge killing move as well. The move set would probably be Play Rough, Aqua Jet, Belly Drum, and Knock Off with a sitrus berry used as a bounce back from using belly drum. Ev spread would be: (252 att, 252 Hp, and the last 4 in Spd). Changing Excadrill to scarfdrill would also help out the sweeper situation. Scarfdrill can easily help take out pokemon with levitate such as Rotom wash who is also way too common in the OU tier. Other than Scolipede with Endeavor, you dont really have a wallbreaker to take out specially defensive pokemon like Chansey, Umbreon, Clefable, and Slowbro (who is becoming more common in OU). You have plenty of options on your team to rid the field of entry hazards so that's a plus. Since I haven't tested the team out myself, I can't say for sure how well it works for you, but I'm betting that stall teams cause you issues.

First, I see that you have don't really have a set revenge killer. I would say that you need a faster pokemon that already has decent speed and damage prowess. Maybe even just someone with a priority move.
He have talonflame .-. Galewings brave bird is pretty much the strongest priority in the game...

talon flame can easily be taken out there with stone edge or earthquake when they roost. i cant count how many times ive taken out a talonflame with earthquake. its like people never think about it.

talon flame can easily be taken out there with stone edge or earthquake when they roost. i cant count how many times ive taken out a talonflame with earthquake. its like people never think about it.
Uhm... What does that have to do with anything o.o obviously you kill it with super effective hits, it's frail as fuck... But roost is still a good move on it...

I think Scolipede could do a lot better with a different set. I used a Scolipede for a while on one of my old teams that was surpringly versatile and bulky, filling multiple roles on the team.

The set was:

Scolipede (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

You could modify it for your purposes to do away with Earthquake and put in Toxic Spikes instead, or swap Swords Dance for Iron Defense to give your special sweepers a bit more bulk (which makes it a lot easier to set up with, say, Manaphy). So then the strategy basically becomes set up Toxic Spikes, grab a couple boosts, and then pass them to one of your sweepers to grab some early momentum.

Also, since this is a team that relies on multiple entry hazards, I would do away with Defog on Latias entirely, which then opens up room for Thunderbolt or Shadow Ball.

I second replacing the Focus Sash on Excadrill with a Choice Scarf.

I disagree with getting rid of Roost on this Talonflame set. Priority Roost is great unless you're locked into it with a Choice Band; with a Life Orb, it's much more useful to have. Just beware of enemy Stealth Rocks, Stone Edgers, and Earthquakes when roosting.

If you really really want a hazards lead scoli, and you don't want to use smeargle why not run dual spikes?

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes / Megahorn / Baton Pass
- Baton Pass / Megahorn

Being Taunt bait is never fun but bp helps here as well and reg spikes are better than tox spikes if you're just trying to get fast kills, which you seem to be.

To reiterate what was said above scarf drill is the better option imo and remove defog on latias for like surf.

There's also a much more effective CroManaphy set that kind of outclasses yours since manaphy lacks the speed tier needed to effectively sweep after one tail glow unless you're facing a relatively slow team it'll get worn down and killed w/ relative ease:

Manaphy @ Damp Rock/Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Scald

It p much sets up on anything defensive and once it gets up a single cm anything that cant ohko it p much loses under rain you just have to watch out for thinks like gastrodon(heh) and the other water absorbers.

If you want defensive talonflame there's a set for that and there's an offensive set i'll drop both here and you can choose which

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

The hp is a rocks and lefties number iirc and the rest is just p self explanatory burn any phys attackers set up on any special attackers that cant kill you.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp / Tailwind / Like Roost i guess

The hp is a rocks number, tailwind is to allow a sweep from one of your backup mons that hits hard late game and wisp is for like, bisharp and anything else that hits hard but is slower than you (which is everything that isn't scarfed).

Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp / Tailwind / Like Roost i guess

The hp is a rocks number, tailwind is to allow a sweep from one of your backup mons that hits hard late game and wisp is for like, bisharp and anything else that hits hard but is slower than you (which is everything that isn't scarfed).
I dont really agree with your changes, but whatever. however WHY would you miss out on 4 speed evs for a sr number, when you can just run 0hp evs, and put the 4 in deffence?

Also 248 speed only hits 350 speed, meaning that you will speed tie with base 110 speed, including latis, gengar and espeon, meaning that you cant get a uturn off. youll also go after every other talon veriant. (except the spdef)

Holy crap, did not realize that you are running Flame Body on Talonflame... DEFINITELY run Gale Wings. Gale Wings is the only reason that Talonflame is so powerful.

Yeah, Talonflame without Gale Wings defeats the sole purpose of Talonflame in OU. Without Gale Wings, you'll simply lose to other priority users, as well as Choice Scarf users. Gale Wings + Brave Bird is one of the best priority moves in the entire metagame. In addition, Gale Wings + Roost / Tailwind is a great help on difficult situarions. No Talonflame is good without Gale Wings, I must say.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)