Pokémon Garchomp

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that eject button is one-use item, so the strategy can only be used once. Also, Smooth rock increases sand's duration to 8 turns (actually 7, with the turn used switching in) and allows chomp to have the sand for 6 turns, outdoing the eject button anyway. Also, megachomp generally shouldn't be staying in for 4 turns. It should try to get in, KO something, and get out.

Hope I was helpful!
Mostly I don't like dropping Chompy in on an attack if I can help it and I know that the whole evasion clause is kind of a sensitive subject as well

Megachomp has more than enough bulk to tank an attack if it has to, and it's typing gives it a few good resistances to use. Overall, I would recommend smooth rock for the consistency, but if Eject Button is working for you by all means keep using it.

So I've been thinking of a more offensively oriented tank chomp set lately. Mostly because I've been working on a heavily offensive team and need a bulky pivot that still has powerful offensive presence. I've always been let down by tank chomp in the past because he lacks recovery and the lack of taunt means he can't stall break as effectively.

That said, he's still got 108/85 physical bulk, STAB dragon tail and a volt switch immunity. I've been thinking of an offensive set something like:
Garchomp@Rocky Helmet
Trait: Rough Skin
-dragon claw/dual chop
-earthquake
-dragon tail
-stealth roxk
I'm unsure of the EVs, but I'm thinking 252 adamant for attack, what I'm looking for in Chomp is thr ability to have enough natural bulk to cause problems for offensive teams, volt-turn especially but also enough power to threaten them on the switch.Wear down frail offebsive threats through a combination of power and passive damage to open the way for a mega pinsir sweep.

Last edited:
Alright, first things first this is just me asking for help, if you were expecting a contribution I apologize :/
I heard of a defensive mega garchomp set with Dragon Tail and since I decided to delve into stall recently, I thought I'd start with my fav mon.
anyone know where I can find it (the set) ? :(

I don't think there is a set for defensive Mega Garchomp, tho I don't see it being overly fantastic on stall cause it lacks a form of recovery being dependent on wish passes, which is very unreliable and easily predictable. It would also face competition with Mega Charizard X who has arguable better typing as well as access to Will o Wisp which is huge for stall to cripple stallbreakers like Mawile. Defensively Mega Garchomp has a lot of competition with normal Garchomp who can carry Leftovers as well as has Rough Skin making it better at wearing down physical attackers. For normal defensive Garchomp you can use something like

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 36 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast / Toxic / Protect

Its 3 hit koed by some common things like Adamant Excadrill and SD Mega Scizor even at +2 with Bullet Punch while it takes at most 80% from an uninvested ice beam from Tyranitar as well as Sheer Force Earth Power. Just enough speed to outpace Gliscor by one to avoid being Taunted or Toxiced right away. If you have to it can also take a hit from Mega Charizard X at +0 and live as well as Solarbeam for Mega Charizard Y but neither are a good idea, modest Mega Charizard Y has a 30% chance of 2hko with Fire Blast in the sun as well as Solarbeam.

I don't think there is a set for defensive Mega Garchomp, tho I don't see it being overly fantastic on stall cause it lacks a form of recovery being dependent on wish passes, which is very unreliable and easily predictable. It would also face competition with Mega Charizard X who has arguable better typing as well as access to Will o Wisp which is huge for stall to cripple stallbreakers like Mawile. Defensively Mega Garchomp has a lot of competition with normal Garchomp who can carry Leftovers as well as has Rough Skin making it better at wearing down physical attackers. For normal defensive Garchomp you can use something like

Garchomp @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 36 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast / Toxic / Protect

Its 3 hit koed by some common things like Adamant Excadrill and SD Mega Scizor even at +2 with Bullet Punch while it takes at most 80% from an uninvested ice beam from Tyranitar as well as Sheer Force Earth Power. Just enough speed to outpace Gliscor by one to avoid being Taunted or Toxiced right away. If you have to it can also take a hit from Mega Charizard X at +0 and live as well as Solarbeam for Mega Charizard Y but neither are a good idea, modest Mega Charizard Y has a 30% chance of 2hko with Fire Blast in the sun as well as Solarbeam.
hmm thanks :]

Hey guys, I'm trying out a set for Sand Veil chomp on Battle spot. Yes, I know we play by sims, so it may not apply here, but how does this sound as an annoyer set in conjunction with Smooth rock ttar?

Arcturus (Garchomp) @ BrightPowder
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double Team
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab/Fire Fang/Stone Edge/Filler of choice

yeah both are stupid evasion sucks I should go home now right
I'm concerned about how efficient is Double Team on Garchomp, as you only have six turns to abuse Sand Veil.
Well, it might buy you enough time, but you're playing with fire if they switch-in a good check/counter.

Speaking of which, if you want to roast Skarmory/Ferrothorn/Forretress/Bronzong, Fire Blast seems a little better than Fire Fang. Another option is to have another team member handle those specific Steel-types.

Swords Dance is a good choice for the last slot, as there are only a few 'Mons that resist/are immune to both types. How sad would it be if your +6 Evasion Garchomp gets oustalled because it lacks the sheer power to muscle through bulkier 'Mons? :c

Toxic is another option if you want to keep Double Team.

Personally, I think Substitute / Swords Dance / Earthquake / Outrage or Dragon Claw @ Brightpowder is the way to go for a non-competitive Sand Veil Garchomp.

Disclaimer: I don't play Battle Spot.

Mix

mahmood soldi
is a Past WCoP Champion
Mega Garchomp can really be good with scolipede, if you manage to get even with a statup in speed can do big damage, if it comes with a staup in speed and attack is gg.

Togekiss. Togekiss is immune to Garchomp's STABs and forces it to rely on Stone Edge or Iron Head. Strictly speaking, Dragon/Ground is good enough coverage to not worry too much about the rest, but it's worth mentioning. If Garchomp isn't carrying Flamethrower or Fire Blast, Skarmory and, to an extent, Ferrothorn can give it trouble, Ferrothorn more so if you switch in on a predicted Outrage. However, Choice Band or boosted Earthquake will dent Ferrothorn.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Toge loses to Mega Chomp though (and Regular Chomp with stone edge but that's only on scarfed sets), as it tanks a Dazzling Gleam and KOes back with Stone Edge, and Mega Chomp also is (confirmed) the best mixed wallbreaker in the tier, meaning after your opponent foolishly swaps out of Toge into something like Lando-T fearing the SE, you can easily nail it with Draco Meteor. In Sand, there's only Cresselia and SpDef Gliscor who give it trouble, otherwise, it does a number to stall and balance alike. While it does compete for the teamslot, it should be the go to mega for Sand Offense teams and it is perfectly functional without sand as well.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Toge loses to Mega Chomp though (and Regular Chomp with stone edge but that's only on scarfed sets), as it tanks a Dazzling Gleam and KOes back with Stone Edge, and Mega Chomp also is (confirmed) the best mixed wallbreaker in the tier, meaning after your opponent foolishly swaps out of Toge into something like Lando-T fearing the SE, you can easily nail it with Draco Meteor. In Sand, there's only Cresselia and SpDef Gliscor who give it trouble, otherwise, it does a number to stall and balance alike. While it does compete for the teamslot, it should be the go to mega for Sand Offense teams and it is perfectly functional without sand as well.
Stone Edge only OHKOs after Rocks or in Sand regardless of the set Togekiss is running, while offensive Togekiss has a chance to OHKO.

252+ SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Garchomp: 318-374 (89 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO (68.8% after SR)
4+ Atk Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Togekiss: 262-310 (84.2 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
4+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Togekiss in Sand: 340-402 (109.3 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4+ Atk Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 262-310 (70.2 - 83.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
4+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Togekiss in Sand: 342-404 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I also wouldn't say that Mega Garchomp is the best mixed wallbreaker in the tier. If it was it would be ranked the same (or higher) as Kyurem-B, who is A- while Mega Garchomp is B+ and currently being discussed for a drop.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Stone Edge only OHKOs after Rocks or in Sand regardless of the set Togekiss is running, while offensive Togekiss has a chance to OHKO.

252+ SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Garchomp: 318-374 (89 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO (68.8% after SR)
4+ Atk Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Togekiss: 262-310 (84.2 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
4+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Togekiss in Sand: 340-402 (109.3 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4+ Atk Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 262-310 (70.2 - 83.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
4+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Togekiss in Sand: 342-404 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I also wouldn't say that Mega Garchomp is the best mixed wallbreaker in the tier. If it was it would be ranked the same (or higher) as Kyurem-B, who is A- while Mega Garchomp is B+ and currently being discussed for a drop.
Standard Mixed MChomp runs 176 Atk/252/Spa/80 Spe, no?

The advantage over Kyuubi is the fact that it's movepool is arguably much better with access to gems like Earthquake, Fire Blast and Stone Edge. Anyways, I'd still say it's the best, the problem it has is that it competes for a mega slot, while Kyuubi doesn't, which is IMO why you'd have it on your team. Nevertheless, I'd still say it's the premier mega for sand teams.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Standard Mixed MChomp runs 176 Atk/252/Spa/80 Spe, no?

The advantage over Kyuubi is the fact that it's movepool is arguably much better with access to gems like Earthquake, Fire Blast and Stone Edge. Anyways, I'd still say it's the best, the problem it has is that it competes for a mega slot, while Kyuubi doesn't, which is IMO why you'd have it on your team. Nevertheless, I'd still say it's the premier mega for sand teams.
According to the recently updated calculator it's 4 Atk with max SpA and Spd with Naughty.

heres a leadchomp set I've been using:

Garchomp @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

It's a fantastic lure. Since most things that counter Garchomp do so with their bulk(think Slowbro, Landorus-T, Skarmory) this set lures them out and obliterates them with an LO boosted move. Life Orb is necessary to give it the power it needs. If it uses sash, it's hilariously weak. Also, this isn't my set, so credit doesnt go to me for it.

heres a leadchomp set I've been using:

Garchomp @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

It's a fantastic lure. Since most things that counter Garchomp do so with their bulk(think Slowbro, Landorus-T, Skarmory) this set lures them out and obliterates them with an LO boosted move. Life Orb is necessary to give it the power it needs. If it uses sash, it's hilariously weak. Also, this isn't my set, so credit doesnt go to me for it.
Sorry I'm unable to use the damage calculator atm but
Can't Slowbro switch out or use Slack Off to heal the damage of DM? You are also switching out after using the move since the -2 Sp. Atk is debilitating.

Garchomp-Mega has the stats of a physical sweeper and of a physical wall. It can send stealth rock and sweep. It's the perfect tank. I don't know why it isn't use like a physical wall. Its stats are amazing. A Garchomp-Mega with base 100 speed can be uber.

Garchomp-Mega has the stats of a physical sweeper and of a physical wall. It can send stealth rock and sweep. It's the perfect tank. I don't know why it isn't use like a physical wall. Its stats are amazing. A Garchomp-Mega with base 100 speed can be uber.
Garchomp has no reliable recovery, very few worthwhile resistances, and a very shallow support movepool comprised of stealth rocks, dragon tail and toxic. Hell it doesn't even get taunt. Mega Garchomp loses his lefties, and his rough skin passive damage.

You're best off exploiting rocky helmet + rough skin in combination with dragon tail, stealth rock, and your U-turn + voltswitch resistance/immunity to wear down the other team.

I've always had much love for my beloved Chompers. Garchomp is just an amazing Pokemon. It has amazing bulk, move pool, and sheer power even without the investment of EVs into Attack. My favorite set to run on my Sandstorm Party is shown below. It provides my party with a reliable setter for Stealth Rock and I can tank just about most Physical Attackers.

What makes this Garchomp set so great is that it can be used as a death fodder to take out 7/24 of a Pokemon's total health if you have a slither of health and eat a contact move. With the addition of Outrage, you can tank a +1 Dragonite's Outrage and OHKO it with your own Outrage (provided Dragonite was hurt by SR). Also, be careful of locking yourself to an unpleasant situation due to Outrage.

The choice of Fire Blast in this set is for crippling threats such as Scizor and Ferrothorn who think they could set-up on you. Fire Blast also scares off Skarmory. Fire Fang is kind of bad since the base is fairly low and most Steel-Types have considerable defensive bulk for a un-invested Garchomp to do damage. It is somewhat of a gamble due to its accuracy, but it is your best option in terms of effectiveness.

However, using a Defensive Garchomp has its cons. Garchomp does not have a source of reliable healing and will eventually die from being a sponge. Status ailments such as Toxic will lower your effectiveness in being a Wall. Threats that outspeed you such as Mamoswine and Weavile will also be a problem. With proper planning, you will be fine.

Chompers (Garchomp) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Outrage / Dragon Tail

Last edited:
こんにちは Smogon,

I just became apart of the Smogon community this weekend. Plus I just got into competitive battling this summer. I've been coming up with a Mega Garchomp Set and I would like to get your opinion on it.

Garchomp-Mega (M) @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

The EVs might be unorthodox but hear me out. 252 Speed EVs lets Garchomp beat out Neutral Base 100 Pokemon before Mega Evolving and dropping to 283 after Mega Evolving. This lets it beat Jolly Breloom, +Speed Heatran, and Neutral Speed Dragonite, Lucario, and Mamoswine.

The 180 EVs in its SPA lets Garchomp break down a lot of walls.:

180+ SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 295-348 (74.8 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
180+ SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 198-234 (65.1 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
180+ SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 316-372 (94.6 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
180+ SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 238-280 (71.2 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
180+ SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 360-428 (102.2 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
180+ SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 265-313 (75.2 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

The 76 Attack EVs with Sand Support puts the Icing on the cake

76 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Togekiss in Sand: 326-384 (87.3 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
76 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Sylveon in Sand: 304-358 (91.8 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
76 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon in Sand: 220-259 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
76 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz in Sand: 240-284 (56.7 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

In conclusion, this Garchomp set is not meant to be a sweeper but mainly as a wall breaker. This set relies on Sand support and Stealth Rocks to break down your opponent's walls. But with the right team support it can be a threatening Pokemon.

こんにちは Smogon,

I just became apart of the Smogon community this weekend. Plus I just got into competitive battling this summer. I've been coming up with a Mega Garchomp Set and I would like to get your opinion on it.

Garchomp-Mega (M) @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

The EVs might be unorthodox but hear me out. 252 Speed EVs lets Garchomp beat out Neutral Base 100 Pokemon before Mega Evolving and dropping to 283 after Mega Evolving. This lets it beat Jolly Breloom, +Speed Heatran, and Neutral Speed Dragonite, Lucario, and Mamoswine.

The 180 EVs in its SPA lets Garchomp break down a lot of walls.:

180+ SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 295-348 (74.8 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
180+ SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 198-234 (65.1 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
180+ SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 316-372 (94.6 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
180+ SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 238-280 (71.2 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
180+ SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 360-428 (102.2 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
180+ SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 265-313 (75.2 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

The 76 Attack EVs with Sand Support puts the Icing on the cake

76 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Togekiss in Sand: 326-384 (87.3 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
76 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Sylveon in Sand: 304-358 (91.8 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
76 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon in Sand: 220-259 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
76 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz in Sand: 240-284 (56.7 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

In conclusion, this Garchomp set is not meant to be a sweeper but mainly as a wall breaker. This set relies on Sand support and Stealth Rocks to break down your opponent's walls. But with the right team support it can be a threatening Pokemon.
A variation of that set is already the standard Mega Garchomp set. I think it is Naive 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe. I could be wrong, but I think that is the set.

I've been having a rough time with Mega Garchomp, probably because I've been trying to use it as a sweeper rather than a wallbreaker. Is an Assault Vest set viable? I've noticed it gets brought down mostly by super-effective special attacks.

I've been having a rough time with Mega Garchomp, probably because I've been trying to use it as a sweeper rather than a wallbreaker. Is an Assault Vest set viable? I've noticed it gets brought down mostly by super-effective special attacks.
You can't mega evolve if you hold AV, regular garchomp's with AV is mediocre in my opinion.

Mega garchomp is really just too slow to successfully sweep consistently. If he had some means of boosting his speed (why no DD, Nintendo?!?!) he'd be a monster. But, sadly, he does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)