Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
why would you run stonetusk in midrange hunter?

why don't i have enough card draw!?!
People run Stonetusk to combo with Buzzard in order to get that extra card draw if UTH doesn't show up (or to provide extra card draw even if UTH does show up). Stonetusk combos really well with Hunter's Mark as well, giving you a 2 card, 1 mana removal for any minion ever. It's a mini UTH, and is often useful where UTH is useful. If you do play it it's definitely not the kind of thing you'd slam on turn 1 - instead you'd wait to use it either for its synergy as a beast or for removal.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I mostly like Stonetusk in Midrange because I can put down a beast for Kill Command on 1 Mana if I don't have any out, getting Buzzard Draws and 1 mana kills on things lacking divine shield is just bonus.

Man, I had 1305 gold, tried to unlock the wing, had my purchase fail a few times, closed and restarted the client and had 700 gold with no wing. Anyone else?

EDIT: As of now, I was able to buy the quarter and play it, but I still haven't gotten that 605 gold. Alas.

Last edited:
Whoops, forgot to check back here to see if people had questions about the deck. Then, when I tried to I had internet problems -.-

Acklow Yeah, askaninjask and UltiMario stated the reasons for Stonetusk Boar. Timber Wolf isn't a bad choice and I used to run it back when Midrange Hunter was the #1 deck a few months ago, but ever since the nerf to Unleash, I just found it a bit too slow when trying to combo it with Buzzard and UTH (turn 6? but I wanna drop Highmane this turn :/ ). It's still a pretty good card, but I never ran more than 1 copy in any Hunter deck I ever played. I would definitely drop Scavenging Hyena and Emperor Cobra for a pair of Eaglehorn Bows if you have them. Some Midrange Hunters are successful without them, but they are amazing if you have any number of traps in your deck. I found I had too many cards to combo with UTH when I ran Hyena in the deck. I typically had both Buzzard and Hyena in hand on turn 5 and always had to choose which one I wanted to "go off" with (almost always picked Buzzard). That and you also have to consider that Leeroy combos with UTH as well. Cobra isn't really worth it unless you're going to run Tundra Rhino to try and get immediate value out of it. Sure they combo with Houndmaster, but a lot of times when I used to run it I found I DIDN'T want to give it Taunt because that would make it a target, especially when you need Cobra to kill something specific. Even Oasis Snapjaws would be a decent replacement.

And, yeah, I hate when I mulligan for Ramp/Midrange Druid when I queue up against them and it turns out to be Token and I'm wishing I kept that Explosive Trap/UTH :/. Token Druid is getting more popular though, so it might be worth keeping those cards against Druid now depending on how many cards they toss/keep.

Yeah, I'm not messing with second Naxx wing yet. Don't wanna lose my hard earned gold :P .

the hunter challenge is dumb but hilarious

EDIT - a heads up for those trying to beat loatheb on heroic, if u try to alexstraza him out the game will "counter" ur legend and yell at you for being "cheap". I am pretty sure it works on the other 2 - making freeze mage a great choice

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the only other reason i can think of for running stonetusk boar that hasn't already been mentioned is that it's a potentially strong turn 5 play with houndmaster, lol.

oh, also, timber wolf's value increases if you are using leeroy for that sick turn 10 leeroy + UTH + timber wolf combo for a minimum of 10 damage, and likely more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, the broken days where I used to go Leeroy + Starving Buzzard + UTH + Timber Wolf w/another 1 cost card or Hero power.....yeah, that was pretty OP lol.

Rare shameless plug: I posted a mini guide on my deck for anyone that follows Hearthstone's subreddit or just wants to read it in general.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice, saw that post earlier and made me want to give Midrange Hunter a go in this new meta. What do you think about Webspinner?

Since I couldn't play Naxx (Waiting for Authorization) and get the new hunter card, I decided to make a new deck that doesn't use webspinner. Its pretty much midrange, but tries to fill the board using haunted creeper, snake trap and unleash, and then buff them with dire wolf, Leokk, and timber wolf. Didn't have enough time to get legend last season, but this deck fared pretty well against the top decks in ranked. Haunted creeper+dire wolf usually kills zoo. It may have some problems keeping up in card advantage because of its low curve, but it's fun to use, especially the tundra rhino combos. I guess I could fit King Mukla or Leeroy if I tried...
Also add me YAYtears#1522 I'm lonely

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well fuck. Opp abused doomsayer to put down double nerubian eggs.

What a fucker. Duck/Freeze Mage lost its most potent AoE

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kolento paladin will be good with the lack of Miracle. And that means Control Warrior can be of use again too.

Just need that Shaman card before I do anything with the best class

paladin is really good right now

is what im running, sludge belcher is just that extra good taunt they needed to deal with aggro. much better than tazdingo

Nice, saw that post earlier and made me want to give Midrange Hunter a go in this new meta. What do you think about Webspinner?
I took out one Explosive Trap for a Webspinner, cut Stranglethorn Tiger for Loatheb and I also cut Faerie Dragons for Haunting Creepers, but I haven't actually tested the deck yet. I have high hopes for Webspinner. If it works out, I may even cut a Stonetusk Boar or an Eaglehorn Bow for the second Webspinner. That might be too much though. Haunting Creeper at a glance doesn't impress me. It's sticky and it's a Beast, but I feel like it's not going to do much other than provide further AoE protection which is something Midrange Hunter doesn't exactly struggle against anyway IMO. I guess it helps vs. Paladin now and it's an almost guaranteed Houndmaster target since from what I've seen most people tend to just ignore it because it costs too much to completely get rid of without silence (and there are better targets to silence usually) and it's not really a threat on it's own anyway. We'll see.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
EDIT - a heads up for those trying to beat loatheb on heroic, if u try to alexstraza him out the game will "counter" ur legend and yell at you for being "cheap". I am pretty sure it works on the other 2 - making freeze mage a great choice
It's lame enough to just straight-up ban a card from SINGLE-PLAYER but the worst part is that Loatheb is difficult enough to survive until Turn 9 against that, quite frankly, you deserve to be able to abuse her if you get to the point of casting her. :(

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Rate my beautiful shitty-ass zoo-rogue deck:

I wanted to give my hand at making a joke zoo deck, but I was surprised at how effective it was at doing damage. Plus most people don't expect you to whip out a Haunted Creeper or Egg and suddenly give them Cold Blood buffs. Ambusher was the biggest reason I made this deck (give that thing Cold Blood buffs turn 5! oof!, and so far I think it fits quite well! :)

Just finished beating the Heroic Plague bosses, and my god are they leagues harder than the Heroic Arachnid bosses. Took me close to 4 hours of non-stop deck editing and attempts. If you haven't tried it yet, you don't have to worry about them having overpowered versions of cards that are in their normal decks. However, their hero powers (and the fact Heigan and Lotheb start with minions) more than make up for it.

If anyone's interested, here's the decks I used to beat the three of them. Keep in mind that I am missing most legendaries and epics so my builds are probably not optimal.

This guy was the biggest pain in the ass for me to find a deck that actually worked. I tried Freeze Mage (his deck basically counters it, or at least my shitty poor-man's version with no Antonidas or Ice Block), Ramp Druid, Rogue, nothing I used seemed to work until I tried my Priest deck. Surprisingly it did somewhat better, so I modified it a few times until I got this and won. Basically the goal is to make your monsters' HP so high he can't kill them without trading extremely poorly, at which point the 5/5 Skeleton he spawns won't be an issue. If you don't have Northshire Cleric/Lightwarden and Power Word - Shield/Divine Spirit by turn 2, I recommend just forfeiting and trying again because you REALLY need that early advantage. I ran Mind Vision over Thoughtsteal because I found myself often overdrawing due to the Cleric, plus you really cannot afford to give up 3 mana early on and by the time you can afford it you're probably already headed straight towards the finish line.

Haigan starts with a Voidcaller, so I tried Priest again due to Shadow Word - Pain and Death, but it was simply way too slow for me. So I decided to try out Warlock since he has nice free removal with Sacrificial Pact and Soulfire and eventually made it work. Nerubian Egg, Argent Squire, and Stoneskin Gargoyle are merely there to absorb his hero power, while the Kobold Geomancer was included to help take care of some of his stronger monsters with 5 HP. This deck is EXTREMELY reliant upon what his Voidcaller summons (and his future summons) compared to what you have in hand, so be prepared to reset often. There's probably a better deck than this one to use, but I was too frustrated at this point to try anything else.

Similar to Haigan, Lotheb starts with a Spore and a Fen Creeper along with 99 HP. He can also kill you by turn 3 if he draws right and you don't, but it shouldn't be too hard. Try to start with Elven Archer, since if you use it to kill the Spore he will ram the Creeper into your 8/1 Archer even if he pulls a charger. Alternatively, a turn 2 Shadow Word - Pain should do nicely, but you'll take a lot of pain on his turn 1. Lightwells are extremely useful since a single one can cancel out his hero power which will make the fight so much easier, and that's also the reason why I didn't include Injured Blademaster; you need the healing on you, not your monsters. I didn't see him summon a single monster over 4 ATK throughout any of the games I played so don't bother running Shadow Word - Death, but Shadow Madness and Cabal Shadow Priest are good for the same reason (I don't have Cabal to use). Holy Smite + Wild Pyro will kill those annoying 2/3 1mana chargers and take out any Spores or Leper Gnomes with it, so it makes a good turn 3 play if those are up. Once you kill the Spore and buff up some monsters he'll start throwing that 5 damage+Spore summon spell to kill your buffed guys so try to keep your monsters as healthy as possible (also helps with getting Lightwell to heal you). Don't summon Auchenai Souplriest unless you really need to clear his board with Circle of Healing since it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay more important that you be able to heal than hurt him and your Lightwells will fuck you over. Found that out the hard way...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)