Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V2) (Last update on post #5189)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright! Now that Aidsgislash has left OU, I wanna make a nomination I have been waiting for a long time:

to A+

So now that Aidsgislash has left OU, this fella has no competition as an offensive ghost type. She can be a royal pain in the ass for stall and offense alike, with either sub-taunt-wisp or offense LO destiny bond. Her typing and ability also grants her an immunity to ground and fighting(normal too but who the fuck uses normal in OU)and a resistance to fairy, bug, and poison. she also has a myriad of coverage moves, ranging from STABs to fighting and Hidden Powers. The support options she has at her disposal include taunt, will-o-wisp, destiny bond, and her STABs in itself are a support option since they are spammable and she can beat pretty much every fairy 1v1, at the very least crippling them. she can even get around a pursuit/sucker punch weakness with destiny bond and will-o-wisp. but her frailty means she will take huge damage/die to mildly strong priority. aidsgislash has left. there is only one offensive ghost left. GENGAR TO A+.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hawlucha is awesome and should be moved up. I'll post a replay of me vs MoB Barley when I get home, but that thing can wreck given proper support and eats sand teams for breakfast. First of all, running Sub Sd with Sitrus Berry is the best set imo, since a sub wil protect you from the likes of Talonflame. Although I do think Power Herb Sky Attack has potential. I mean unburden is such a nifty sweeping ability, since it lets you use an adamant nature and outspeed SR Excadrill.

Obviously the meta is still new so nothing too drastic but I think going up to C or C+ is fair.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know we're all very excited or disappointed that Aegislash is banned, but can we wait a bit before we do a massive rehaul of the viability rankings? Obviously Aegislash was an insanely centralizing Pokemon, but let's see how the meta plays out and how viable Pokemon actually are instead of raising every Pokemon Aegislash countered up a rank out of pure Theorymon.

Last edited:
(I Like to note i don't nom pokes often or not great of thinking which poke goes to which rank so i may made mistakes)
I like to nominate Mega Gardevoir to A+/S Rank now that aegislash is gone, first of all its has hardly any counters now which will is very threatening the best ones i can think of is mega scizor and escavalier which escavalier is not common, also mega gardevoir can wreck stall pretty good with taunt and calm mind with the right moves.

Only reason i can see garde not hitting S rank is pokemon like talonflame, scizor and terrakion can revenge kill it along with scarfers like excadrill and tyranitar and mega gardevoir can't switch into some physical attackers like ferrothon and mega heracross, also here are some calcs which help rise mega garde to S rank

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 153-180 (45.8 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 156-184 (45.3 - 53.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (not the bulky set)
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 250-295 (63.4 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 204-240 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 140+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 204-241 (56.6 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

Last edited:
Well shit, that ban just changed a shitton of stuff, we might need to make a list of pokes aegislash hated:

stuff like mega hera, gengar, hawlucha, could prolly rise pretty soon.

stuff like jirachi and celebi might need a little time, but could rise later.

Stuff like chesnaught and mandibuzz might drop, if nothing happens.

Wow, a lot of stuff is gonna change.

Only reason i can see garde not hitting S rank is pokemon like talonflame, scizor and terrakion can revenge kill it along with scarfers like excadrill and tyranitar, also here are some calcs which help rise mega garde to S rank
oh and gardevoir can't switch in on any physical attacker?

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 147-174 (52.8 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 153-181 (55 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 175-207 (62.9 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Gyro Ball OHKO)
4 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 135-159 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

oh and gardevoir can't switch in on any physical attacker?

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 147-174 (52.8 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 153-181 (55 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 175-207 (62.9 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Gyro Ball OHKO)
4 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 135-159 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
yeah i forgot about that thanks for noting

I don't think there will be that much of a demand for offensive ghost types (Gengar) now that Aegislash is gone. I see Tyranitar and other pursuit trappers rising since one of the best mons that pursuit traps the Lati Twins is now gone. I also see more BirdSpam too not just because Aegislash punished things like Talonflame and Staraptor for locking themselves into Brave Bird, but also because fighting types indirectly got a new buff which Birds fair well against.

Those are just some of my predictions.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-ou-811548

Yeah if I hadn't missed HJK, I would have swept his entire team with Hawlucha. Admittedly, he was, as my good buddy Don would say "weak to fite." However, that shouldn't take away from the fact that Hawlucha is an effective Pokemon in the meta, boasting two powerful STAB moves, decent attack with an Adamant nature, Swords Dance, and a free Agility boost providing its item is consumed. That's not to say it isn't without its flaws. Talonflame and other priority is still an issue, as is the fact that HJK can miss and kill it off while Acrobatics forces it to run niche items like Sitrus or Power Herb. Still, I think it's strengths warrant a move to at least C.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Um can we at least have some time before making changes or suggesting them. Like, you guys do realize that half these nominations might not even be good cause there will be more usage of new things that slow them down, or just adaptation in general. For example Hawlucha is cool and all due to Aegi gone but I literally saw one replay from Halycon of it from a team that was only weak to it cause Hawlucha wasn't even considered a relevant threat with Aegi around. So obviously we'll have teams that are going to be weak to new threats, that's a given with new meta game changes. It still has a lot of issues and for all we know Hawlucha might still end up being shit against things like stall. The Lati Twins I get but not necessarily to the point that it warrants a move up so to say. M-Gard will be more relevant now and that alone will be an issue for both Latis. Torn-T's viability never was truly effected by Aegislash and it's good and all but in terms of viability A- is still a bit much.

I know people just want to nominate a whole bunch of stuff with Aegi gone and generally when the meta loses a prolific mon, but in all seriousness there's no adaptation to the meta as of yet and realistically we need a bit of time to truly see the real viability of some of these mons.

Hi. As much as we all want things to move up or down based off Aegislash's recent ban but let's hold off on moving things around too much. We still don't know how much things will change after some time to allow things to settle. Considering how much of effect Aegislash, we should probably wait a few day before doing too much. Also this doesn't even account for the next suspect that should start in a few days.

Let's relax a bit and hold off on making radical changes.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also this doesn't even account for the next suspect that should start in a few days.
I know this is off topic, but why the fuck are we suspecting things one right after another? Aegis just left, and y'all start the next suspect test before the meta can settle down. One week isn't enough; two weeks is pushing it, but a few days? Come the fuck on. I get that shit like Mawile and Zard X are suspect worthy, and that many want them gone, but seriously. Just hold off a bit and give the meta some ducking time to settle down.

I know this is off topic, but why the fuck are we suspecting things one right after another? Aegis just left, and y'all start the next suspect test before the meta can settle down. One week isn't enough; two weeks is pushing it, but a few days? Come the fuck on. I get that shit like Mawile and Zard X are suspect worthy, and that many want them gone, but seriously. Just hold off a bit and give the meta some ducking time to settle down.
Why are you asking me? I don't have any input on the matter... Talk to any of the council members instead.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
While I do agree with this there is also the argument that a lot of these suspects should've happened earlier but due to so many broken elements they were overshadowed and now they're trying to catch up and make a balanced meta asap. A lot of people wanted many of these suspects for like a looooong time lol. Could be wrong but that's just my idea.

Regardless of what is happening suspect wise, you don't discuss it here. Don't use arguments like X could be suspected or Y deserves a test or a test that was just completed increasing the viability of pokes. Discuss the meta as is and nothing more please.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I will let one week pass before i update the list with anything, unless there is need for an exception. So, keep your enthusiasm to a moderate level and playtest the shit out of the things you think got more viable with Aegislash's absence so we can make this a perfect ranking list once again :D

Sylveon falling to C+ Eh its seems a bit better then C+
Mew rising to A- Quite versatile and good at its job. (Just lost a major counter too)
Mega Charizard Y rising to A+ Its defensive set imo pushes it up
Azelf rising to B- Great dual screener and can be a nasty plot sweeper also (Just lost a major counter too)
Celebi rising to C+ Versatile poke with lots of options (Just lost a major counter too)
Cresselia rising to C+ Very good wall counters major stuff (Just lost a major counter too)
Conkeldurr falling to B- I could see it as any fairy type and most megas counter it pretty easily.
Keldeo Stay in A+ Its a one trick pony only good at its one trick
Azumarill Stay in A+ Assault vest set lacks power. Band relies on lots of prediction. Belly Drum has trouble setting up and lacks power pre drum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect next suspect will most likely be thunderus. Its been broken for quite some time now. Whether we wait, it or not it will still be broken. Reason it wasn't joint suspected I believe is because there was more pressing matters and it could avoid ban like DeoxysS. This is all pure speculation tho.
Ahem
Regardless of what is happening suspect wise, you don't discuss it here.
Anywho I'm going along with Mew to A- Rank. Specially Defensive Mew and Landorus-T has been a combination I've been using a lot and been seeing lately, but for good reason. Will-O-Wisp/Roost deals with almost every physical attacker around, and special attackers without boosted power barely dent the thing. If you need to deal with any Fire-Types then Landorus just comes in and begins having a day. In my opinion that Specially Defensive set within itself is enough to make is enough A-, but that's my opinion, and when you add almost every move into the same Pokemon more and more people agree. Oh yeah, here's some proof calcs of Mew being able to take hits on hits from a variety of Pokemon and sides.

V.S Bisharp
252+ Atk Life Orb burned Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Mew: 220-259 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Got burned from WoW)
252+ Atk burned Bisharp Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Mew: 112-133 (27.7 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (Loses item from Knock Off [Both Bisharp and Mew])
Then it just keeps roosting and wins the battle, unless Bisharp lands a crit first turn.

Calcs in general
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 165-195 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 134-160 (33.2 - 39.7%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power burned Mega Mawile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Mew: 198-234 (49.1 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power burned Mega Mawile Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Mew: 133-157 (33 - 38.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Mew: 195-231 (48.3 - 57.3%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk burned Garchomp Outrage vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Mew: 97-115 (24 - 28.5%) -- 97.9% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Mew: 162-192 (40.1 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power burned Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Mew: 89-105 (22 - 26%) -- 4.3% chance to 4HKO

Okay some of the calcs may not be super impressive, but Specially Defensive Mew still does fantastic in stall, and balance. Then there's also offensive sets, and in Hyper Offence it even fits onto the team as a Explosion Suicide Lead. The only thing I think makes Mew not go higher is that in most offensive category's it's outclassed as a whole. Want an SD Sweeper with Sucker Punch? Bisharp has STAB, and much higher attack. Wallbreaker? Mega Zard Y, Landorus, Kyurem-B do that much better. It may all seem bad so Mew is a monster on the inside, I don't have much else to say then that this replay during the World Cup, you can see (Poke)Aim's Mew being a huge help. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-16091

Alright! Now that Aidsgislash has left OU, I wanna make a nomination I have been waiting for a long time:

to A+

Her typing and ability also grants her an immunity to ground and fighting(normal too but who the fuck uses normal in OU)and a resistance to fairy, bug.

aidsgislash has left. there is only one offensive ghost left. GENGAR TO A+.

Well, ExtremeSpeed on CB Dragonite is a way to use its Ghost typing or to deter the use of CB Nite as a revenge killer.

Still, LO Shadow Ball at a respectable speed tier makes it difficult to switch into (in addition to Focus Blast to deter Heatran) and require little prediction to use due to the Steel nerf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)