Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

Hey there, I'm new to NU. Any idea how to handle Unburden BD Slurpuff? Is Doublade the only answer? I was thinking Ferroseed might work too but it's 2HKOd by flamethrower so I can't switch it in. Doublade on the other hand can switch in and OHKO with Iron Head.

(And since I'm still a total beginner in NU and I have no idea what's going on within the tier, I'll just ask: is Slurpuff likely to get suspected? Seems like it should, at least at first glance.)
Doublade is not in the tie atm. Ferroseed is a nice counter if it does not run flamuethrower, so is Steelix. Defensive Rhydon can take a hit and phaze it out. Physically defensive metang can also serve as a niche stop, as it takes pitfull damage from Flamethrower and can 2hko back with meteor mash

Welcome to NU Soulred12! hope you enjoy the tier. First of all Doublade is RU. To stop BD slurpuff you could use Probopass with thunderwave+Flashcannon. which completely blocks it. Rhydon,Golem,metang also do good against it.The second best way to stop BD slurpuff is not let him Setup, by weakening him by a strong STAB attack. You could always phaze him and prevent sweep.
Answer to your last question: Slurpuff is very much likely to be suspected because it is versatile and has many sets to run. With cottonguard BD calmmind its hard to deal with

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch/Power gem

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Slurpuff is very much likely to be suspected
Highly doubt this for a few reasons. First off, Slurpuff is not that hard to prepare for, between the 3 of you you named of half-a-dozen counters to the BD set from the top of your head. The second main reason, is it just isn't broken. It's versatility doesn't push it over the edge unlike other pokemon (like Mega-Luc / Zoroark) it just makes it a very good mon. Half the time you can extrapolate whether the opponent would be running physical/special from the structure of their team, and even if you can't, there are still sound switch-ins to both sets (Probo, Bibarel, Muk). It may be a really good mon, and hell it might even be suspected eventually, but I don't think it needs it tbh. :)

Also SoulRed12, grats on 666 posts :^)

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Highly doubt this for a few reasons. First off, Slurpuff is not that hard to prepare for, between the 3 of you you named of half-a-dozen counters to the BD set from the top of your head. The second main reason, is it just isn't broken. It's versatility doesn't push it over the edge unlike other pokemon (like Mega-Luc / Zoroark) it just makes it a very good mon. Half the time you can extrapolate whether the opponent would be running physical/special from the structure of their team, and even if you can't, there are still sound switch-ins to both sets (Probo, Bibarel, Muk). It may be a really good mon, and hell it might even be suspected eventually, but I don't think it needs it tbh. :)

I could see Slurpuff getting suspected just because of the fact that a different counter is required for each different set. It is similar to the suspect test in OU for Mega Lucario (or so I've been told). I think Slurpuff is a top tier threat and while it has many checks it still can get off the sweep more often than not. It might be a while however before a suspect test happens for it though.

Lol, thank you for screening that :D I saved the pic to my comp.

I could see Slurpuff getting suspected just because of the fact that a different counter is required for each different set. It is similar to the suspect test in OU for Mega Lucario (or so I've been told). I think Slurpuff is a top tier threat and while it has many checks it still can get off the sweep more often than not. It might be a while however before a suspect test happens for it though.
That sounds like the arguments people have been tossing around recently in favor of banning Aegislash from OU. Not that it's necessarily significant, I'm js.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nothing much. I haven't even seen it that much recently. I'm going to just hope my Haunter and Kadabra can shine now. RIP in RU, I hope you suck there, Shrifty.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hm, with Shiftry and Combusken gone, we lack another strong Knock Off Dark Type in NU...
Liepard and Sneasel still exist as great dark types, with liepard having the great combo of encore + uturn, and sneasel with a great alternative stab and ability to swords dance

Let's not forget we still have Pawniard, another great NFE Dark-type with Knock Off.

Although, Pawniard enjoyed setting up on Shiftry since shitree couldn't do shit to it (hue). Oh well. Still a great mon.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have a request... Could I make a Clamperl analysis for NU? I've been using it and it's a terrifying sweeper.
You can start reserving analyses when NU starts doing them, which should be in a few days since NU is now out of beta.
When it does come out, though, it will be in this forum under "NU Analyses"

I started using CM slurpuff and I wonder, what are the best coverage moves to put on it? I have it on a HO core with E-Vire and sneasel, which takes care of most bulky pkm in the tier. E-vire deals with steels, Toad (HP grass), Dragalge (EQ) and water types, Sneasel Spams knock of and kills Sceptile/Archeops. Then I send in Slurpuff to deal with the remaining team.

atm I've been using Surf and Flamethrower alongside Gleam, which provides coverage against Fire spam and Ferroseed+ and random steels. but are there othe coverage options you would put above Surf/Flamethrower?

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I started using CM slurpuff and I wonder, what are the best coverage moves to put on it? I have it on a HO core with E-Vire and sneasel, which takes care of most bulky pkm in the tier. E-vire deals with steels, Toad (HP grass), Dragalge (EQ) and water types, Sneasel Spams knock of and kills Sceptile/Archeops. Then I send in Slurpuff to deal with the remaining team.

atm I've been using Surf and Flamethrower alongside Gleam, which provides coverage against Fire spam and Ferroseed+ and random steels. but are there othe coverage options you would put above Surf/Flamethrower?
I would recommend replacing surf with psychic to kill defensive poison types. slurpuff does have other coverage options like energy ball and thunderbolt, but they aren't really needed in your case.

What are some good counters to CroTomb? I'm running it and I've been having trouble with Kangaskhan, but are there any other threats I should be aware of? I want to refine this team I built as much as possible.

What are some good counters to CroTomb? I'm running it and I've been having trouble with Kangaskhan, but are there any other threats I should be aware of? I want to refine this team I built as much as possible.
Granbull can 3HKOs with Play rough and doesn't take much, Slurpuff can use Calm Mind and Belly Drum, Scrappy Pangoro OHKOs with Hammer Arm.
Defensive checks are Haze Altaria who is kinda useful in stall and resets the boosts and Roost stalls spiritomb. Sdef Steelix and Dragalge to dragon tail it out. You should also be careful of Trick from Uxie
Those aren't the only ways obviously, almost any bulky setup sweeper not weak to dark can overpower it

but are there any other threats I should be aware of? I want to refine this team I built as much as possible.
Offensive tomb with blackglasses + 3x dark and willowisp is good, Gurdurr, slurpuff, Gatr and Magmortar are a few good pokemon to consider when building a team, everything in B and higher on the viability ranking are also things to consider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)