Pokémon Hawlucha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares, just don't keep it in on Gyarados.

also fwiw: +1 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 283-334 (85.2 - 100.6%)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Who cares, just don't keep it in on Gyarados.

also fwiw: +1 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 283-334 (85.2 - 100.6%)
G-Von and I were arguing discussing itemless Jolly Limber, which isn't getting that KO.

Also, those 4 HP EVs should be in Defense since otherwise Gyarados will have an even HP value. Still on my phone so I can't post calcs.

Gyarados is still a counter since it switches in the turn you set up so it's not going to be taking a +1 Stone Edge. I'll post more in-depth when I'm not on a phone.
..... Yes it is?

<Whatever comes back> and Gyarados is sent out.
Hawlucha is at -1 Attack at this point.
Hawlucha uses Swords Dance on the switch.
-1 +2 = +1 Attack.

Now Stone Miss OHKOs???

You still have to deal with the "To Mega or not to Mega?" question, though.

Dunno if anyone thought about this set before:
Hawlucha:
Ability: Unburden
Nature: Adamant
Item: Focus Sash
Moves:
Flying Press
Swords Dance
Poison Jab/HJK/Acrobatics

So the idea is: you get much more free with setting up a SD, because you will not be OHKOed. If someone breaks the Sash you will get the Unburden boost.

Dunno if anyone thought about this set before:
Hawlucha:
Nature: Adamant
Item: Focus Sash
Moves:
Flying Press
Swords Dance

So the idea is: you get much more free with setting up a SD, because you will not be OHKOed. If someone breaks the Sash you will get the Unburden boost.
Flying press? Its not good, you're better off SD, HJK, Acrobatics, and poison jab.
Unless theres something that Flying press has that I don't know of, I dont see any real reason to run it.

Does Unburden activate if you're holding a Sash and you take damage but don't get knocked to 1hp (or if Rocks break the Sash)?

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Does Unburden activate if you're holding a Sash and you take damage but don't get knocked to 1hp (or if Rocks break the Sash)?
No, because then you're still holding an item (plus, theoretically you can still repair the Sash with Roost). Unburden only activates if you consume your Sash, i.e. if you get knocked down to 1HP from full health.

The only way for Focus Sash to get activated is if you are at full health and get hit by an attack that would normally kill you and will leave you at 1 HP instead. So either Unburden would get activated that way or it would have to get Knocked Off.

EDIT: greninja'd by TDP

Flying press? Its not good, you're better off SD, HJK, Acrobatics, and poison jab.
Unless theres something that Flying press has that I don't know of, I dont see any real reason to run it.
Accoording to Bulbapedia Flying Press hits Grass, Fighting, Ice, Dark and Normal for supereffective damage. And it has a base power of 80. And on this set it is safer than Acrobatics since Sash does not always break. HJK lets you hit Steel and Rock too and Poison Jab covers Fairies.

Accoording to Bulbapedia Flying Press hits Grass, Fighting, Ice, Dark and Normal for supereffective damage. And it has a base power of 80. And on this set it is safer than Acrobatics since Sash does not always break. HJK lets you hit Steel and Rock too and Poison Jab covers Fairies.
But it does pitiful neutral damage to the things you'd want to hit with Flying STAB, like Mega Venusaur, Mega Heracross, Mega Medicham, Scolipede, Amoonguss, Celebi, Volcarona, and the list goes on... Not to mention all the 'mons who would take neutral damage from Flying STAB but now resist the hit due to the added Fighting-type.

Flying and Fighting STAB are good separately because not a lot of 'mons can resist both moves, but unfortunately very many can resist one or the other (especially Fighting).

Last edited:
I recall someone posting a Choice Band set earlier on in the thread. Now that Aeigislash is gone, I think it might work.
Hawlucha @ Choice Band
Ability: Limber
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Acrobatics/Flying Press/Bounce/Poison Jab
I could see it being outclassed by Scarf Mienshao in a way, but it's worth noting.
Also SubSD seems like one of Hawlucha's best options atm.
Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry/No item
Ability: Unburden/Mold Breaker (because Unaware is annoying and sometimes it's nice to switch out without having to worry about losing speed)
Adamant(Unburden)/Jolly(Mold Breaker) Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Hi Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
If the sub is up, it allows you to get past Talonflame and slightly weakened Thundurus (+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 246-290 (82 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock; +2 252 Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 225-264 (75 - 88%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock), and possibly 2HKO Zapdos if Stealth Rocks are up.

I've been using Swords Dance+Baton pass on the ladder with some moderate sucess. It's amazing when it works out, but it's quite hard to pull off against more offensive teams, as Hawlucha is very frail. Still, it's amazing how it can catch people completely off-guard. Hawlucha's typing has very few weaknesses too, meaning you can easily get a recipient that resists them. For example, you can use Charizard X or just about any ground type to Baton pass into an electric move (remember you outspeed Thundurus and are immune to its Prankster thunderwave ;) ). Or maybe use Mega Mawile, who resists Ice, Fairy AND Psychic? There's a lot of possibilities.

Karxrida

Well, well, well.

Aegislash got banned from OU.

Wrassleburd might just be on the verge of moving the pain train into OU.
It's already BL so it's only usable in OU in the first place.

If you go back about a page or two you'll see a list of threats I posted that keep Hawlucha from being completely viable.

It's already BL so it's only usable in OU in the first place.

If you go back about a page or two you'll see a list of threats I posted that keep Hawlucha from being completely viable.
Oh, I know, it's still got some major enemies. I don't think it's going to be an OU staple by any means.

That said, at least at this point it might get the chance to operate in an OU environment, now that one of its two absolute hardcounters is gone. That's a better place than it was, considering that after being banned from UU for excessive roughness it ran up into a brick wall in terms of playability.

"Brick wall" is spelled "my two hardest counters both decorate the top of the usage lists."

Hawlucha is gonna be completely OU soon. With Aegislash gone now, there isn't much that stands in his way now. Plus, the set I feel needs mentioning is a Sitrus Berry set. Once he gets a swords dance and unburden boost, not much is gonna slow him down.

Hawlucha is gonna be completely OU soon. With Aegislash gone now, there isn't much that stands in his way now. Plus, the set I feel needs mentioning is a Sitrus Berry set. Once he gets a swords dance and unburden boost, not much quite a lot is gonna slow him down.
FTFY

Unburden means little against any and all priority, especially when you've had to take a hit first to get the boost and you're frail as fuck to boot.

Even fucking Donphan's Ice Shard, which is as weak as all fuck, does 39-47% damage!

Karxrida

ah yes
smogonbird, the best revenge killer in the game and
robin williams, the best panic button in the game make hawlucha and only hawlucha shit.

no. smogonbird revenges nearly everything and robin williams thunder waves basically every non ground sweeper.
Those 2 aren't Hawlucha's only problems, just it's most prominent ones. I made a massive list of checks/counters 2 or so pages ago and they're all super common mons.

I find this set to be the most effective for him:

Hawlucha (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

I've pulled off so many sweeps with this set. Sub is handy for Thundurus and also allows you to set up against Ferrothorn without being leech seeded. Sitrus so you don't get stalled out by sand. As long as they don't have Skarmory@Rocky Helmet, Zapdos, or Unaware this guy always puts in work.

I find this set to be the most effective for him:

Hawlucha (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

I've pulled off so many sweeps with this set. Sub is handy for Thundurus and also allows you to set up against Ferrothorn without being leech seeded. Sitrus so you don't get stalled out by sand. As long as they don't have Skarmory@Rocky Helmet, Zapdos, or Unaware this guy always puts in work.
If you mean using Sub to get to Sitrus, then iirc, it takes 2 subs to get to the point of eating Sitrus, so he's at little over half now. If you mean Hawlucha taking a hit then eating..well Hawlucha can't take many hits. Maybe if it was like a resisted one, but bear in mind, many neutral attacks severely cripple him.
Oh, and we all know HJK black magic. Missing might lose you the game (And Hawlucha!) that being said, I wouldn't replace it.

Unburden means little against any and all priority, especially when you've had to take a hit first to get the boost and you're frail as fuck to boot.

Even fucking Donphan's Ice Shard, which is as weak as all fuck, does 39-47% damage!
Hawlucha actually resists a fair chunk of the priority in the game.

Ice Shard users will mess him up, as will MPinsir/Talonflame. Very powerful Aqua Jets, Shadow Sneaks, and Bullet Punches (CB Scizor/CB Azu especially) can get up into 2HKO range. But he resists Mach Punch and Sucker Punch users, which is awesome. Even Mega Mawile or Mega Banette don't put much of a dent in him with priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)