Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed/Toxic
- Stun Spore
- Protect
- Giga Drain/Synthesis

Why it isn't a Sunkern: I don't think i've ever seen Tangela used in the NU aside from me, but Tangela has an amazing bulk with her 110 base Def and with eviolite and recovery, and can absolutelly stall alot of pokemons in the tier and cripple them. Even without spending EVs in Def, she has 399 Def and can be made into dedicated physical wall that can outlast surprisingly a lot of pokemons in the tier reaching an astoundishing 541 Def, and get away with it back to close to full health with refilling from Regenerator ability. With stun spore/leech seed or toxic, you are almost guaranteed to cripple any incoming counter and safely switch to it's check.
Another set worth mentioning, is without Eviolite but with a Scope Lens to replace Stun Spore with Sleep powder while keeping good 361 def, for which she might as well simply use leftovers and function with a different kind of recovery, but in my opinion Leftovers is inferior to other sets because Tangela already has amazing recovery capacity.
Besides being NFE (actually LC Uber), Tangela is not really item dependant and usually can still partially perform well after having it's eviolite knocked off.
Yeah Tangela is a great mon. Quite a few people have used it, and while it isn't as good as last gen it still puts in work

A much better set for it is as follows though:

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire / Stun Spore / Sleep Powder / Toxic

Leech seed is necessary as coupled with regen it allows tangela to seed switchins then easily back out into a check
Synthesis is also necessary to keep tangela around, as you'll find yourself worn down without it, especially if you've lost your eviolite
The final slot has an array of options, HP Fire is nice to avoid being walled by grass types, stun spore for crippling switchins such as typhlosion, magmortar, archeops (basically anything that likes its speed) sleep for sleeping the swithins and toxic for switches and stalling alongside synthesis.

I'd recommend just running HP fire though because the other options are all usually used on the switch, when you'll most likely be better off leech seeding the switchin or switching out yourself

Reactions: AM

Angry Ape (Vigoroth) @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up / Toxic
- Slack Off
- Return
- Taunt / Sucker Punch / Shadow Claw / Brick Break / [Filler]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why this isn't Dunsparce: Vigoroth has always been a rather underrated threat. With an immunity to Ghost and an immunity to Sleep, this pokemon can catch a lot of people off guard, especially as a Sleep Absorber and a stop to most ghost setup pokemon, such as Mismagius. Without investment, its defense is rather decent, and it has access to reliable recovery in the form of Slack Off. Unlike Slaking, it can move every turn, and its defense and attack get it to monstrous levels. It hates status with a vengeance, so support is helpful in its sweep. The Speed EVs are to outspeed Uxie with no investment, which gives it time to set up on the lead form, (Thunder Wave doesn't really cripple as much as Burn or Toxic) while maximising its special defense. Everything else is rather stationary. The last move is up to you - if you prefer priority, sucker punch should be used. Shadow Claw can be used if paralysis support or webs are existant and that speed isn't much of an issue. Brick Break can be used to get past threats such as Regirock and Probopass. But, any coverage move can be here.

EDIT: Taunt, suggested by Aladyyn, is good for stallbreaking if you wish to do so.

Last edited:
A pokemon designed to take hits from physical pokemon when it has a weakness to one move just about every physical pokemon in the everything carries and gets really screwed over by the side effect of said move is pretty hard to get to work. Also TR is hard to work with in the first place.
For one, not every physical attacker has Knock Off lol. In fact, most of them don't. Two, not a single pokemon in this thread appreciates a Knock Off, regardless of whether it is weak to it. For example, Tangela isn't walling CB Sawk without its Eviolite, neither is Dusclops... The Knock Off argument is totally moot in this thread.

And you don't have to use TR on Slowpoke, it's just one out of like six different options ._.

For one, not every physical attacker has Knock Off lol. In fact, most of them don't. Two, not a single pokemon in this thread appreciates a Knock Off, regardless of whether it is weak to it. For example, Tangela isn't walling CB Sawk without its Eviolite, neither is Dusclops... The Knock Off argument is totally moot in this thread.

And you don't have to use TR on Slowpoke, it's just one out of like six different options ._.
Maybe I kinda exaggerated when I said everything has Knock Off, but that doesn't change that lots of common attackers have it, and saying that everything else is also crippled by Knock Off is true, but it doesn't prove anything especially when your example is hit much harder by it than others mentioned. If I was forced to use an NFE wall, I'd much rather use something that doesn't have half its health bar stripped off by Knock Off as well. If it hits some Pokemon harder than others (which it does) it's still an argument.

Angry Ape (Vigoroth) @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up / Toxic
- Slack Off
- Return
- Sucker Punch / Shadow Claw / Brick Break / [Filler]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why this isn't Dunsparce: Vigoroth has always been a rather underrated threat. With an immunity to Ghost and an immunity to Sleep, this pokemon can catch a lot of people off guard, especially as a Sleep Absorber and a stop to most ghost setup pokemon, such as Mismagius. Without investment, its defense is rather decent, and it has access to reliable recovery in the form of Slack Off. Unlike Slaking, it can move every turn, and its defense and attack get it to monstrous levels. It hates status with a vengeance, so support is helpful in its sweep. The Speed EVs are to outspeed Uxie with no investment, which gives it time to set up on the lead form, (Thunder Wave doesn't really cripple as much as Burn or Toxic) while maximising its special defense. Everything else is rather stationary. The last move is up to you - if you prefer priority, sucker punch should be used. Shadow Claw can be used if paralysis support or webs are existant and that speed isn't much of an issue. Brick Break can be used to get past threats such as Regirock and Probopass. But, any coverage move can be here.
_____
I'd suggest running Taunt in the last slot. It increases Vigoroth's stall breaking capabilities by removing its vulnerability to status (except stuff like WoW Mismag). Not hitting Ghosts/Steels can be redeemed by trappers so it doesn't matter that much. Well, Spiritomb is annoying, but defensive variants can be Taunted.

Also to the person that suggested Dusclops: no

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So surprisingly havent seen Ferroseed yet, given its rising popularity.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Why this isnt a Cacnea: Ferroseed is one bulky little barb, it has decent defenses which when coupled with an eviolite allow it to tank a ton of hits. Even living random HP fires from random pokes. Its biggest niche is as a spike stacker, because in the current meta game spike stacking is amazing. It can reliably set up spikes throughout the entire match, setting them up multiple times even if they are spun/defogged away. (Something to note is it can set up spikes all over Vileplume unless it has HP fire, have yet to see one though) After its being a great spike stacker it also has access to leech seed to allow for good recovery. Thanks to its small HP stat Ferroseed is getting sometimes more than 12% health back from leechseed, and when coupled with protect it can take hits for days. Now the biggest worry for walls is getting set up on. Ferroseed has a pretty mediocre attack stat but when coupled with a terrible speed stat, a minus speed nature, and a STAB Gyro Ball. This little seed can break enough subs to get them to attack you. The biggest problem here is only having 8pp for Gyro Ball so while using it you have to keep that in mind.

Sneasel @ Life Orb / Eviolite
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit / Swords Dance

Why it isn't
:

Sneasel is one of NU tier's top offensive threats. Carrying potent STAB neutral coverage in both Knock Off and Ice Punch, having one of the highest speed stats in NU, and packing a hard hitting 95 base Attack makes it a amazing wallbreaker and cleaner. Its access to Ice Shard also makes it a reliable revenge killer, firing off a strong STAB LO boosted priority move that packs a punch. Its Knock Off is one of the strongest in the tier, threatning out pokemon such as Mismagius and Uxie to their potential check which still gets crippled by the Item removing effect. Ice Punch is a great secondary STAB packing neutral coverage on Fighting, Fairy, and opposing Dark Types, while Pursuit catches many of the Psychic and Ghost pokemon Sneasel often forces out. While Life Orb is the preferred option, Eviolite makes Sneasel surprisingly not frail, allowing it to quickly swords dance and sweep and opponent. Due to a combination of all these trait, Sneasel is one of the best physical attackers and utility trappers in the tier.

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
Why it isn't
:
As if it isn't obvious, Rhydon is currently the best NFE bar none. It is the tier's best [arguably tied with Seismitoad] stealth rocker, most reliable phazer, and an amazing tank for offensive and defensive teams alike. There is little reason to not use Rhydon on a team due to its amazing utility as well as pure bulk, great 130 bases attack, neutral STAB coverage, solid typing, access to Eviolite etc. Its sheer bulk lets it come in again and again to set up rocks, while it can phaze sweepers and deal hella damage. Its typing also allows it to check a range of threats including Flying, Rock, Electric,

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
Why it isn't
:
As if it isn't obvious, Rhydon is currently the best NFE bar none. It is the tier's best [arguably tied with Seismitoad] stealth rocker, most reliable phazer, and an amazing tank for offensive and defensive teams alike. There is little reason to not use Rhydon on a team due to its amazing utility as well as pure bulk, great 130 bases attack, neutral STAB coverage, solid typing, access to Eviolite etc. Its sheer bulk lets it come in again and again to set up rocks, while it can phaze sweepers and deal hella damage. Its typing also allows it to check a range of threats including Flying, Rock, Electric,
So just wondering why the 240 SpD, what does it let it live? Is there any reason to use that over say 252 attack? Also Megahorn is another option on rhydon over Roar, roar probably has more utility but megahorn lets you hit any grass coming in on it.

So just wondering why the 240 SpD, what does it let it live? Is there any reason to use that over say 252 attack?
It can take some random Water and Grass moves it wouldn't be able to otherwise (not sure what the exact number does though).

180+ SpA Xatu Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 452-532 (109.1 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
180+ SpA Xatu Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 308-364 (74.3 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 432-512 (104.3 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 292-348 (70.5 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Both of the above then die to Rhydon's STABs.

4 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 376-448 (90.8 - 108.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 256-304 (61.8 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lets it get up rocks and live even if it gets burned.

252+ SpA Accelgor Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 372-440 (89.8 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Accelgor Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 256-304 (61.8 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It then can OHKO Accelgor with Rock Blast.

Could do more calcs but too lazy, I think these show something anyway. I have to say though, I've been sleeping on Rhydon, I think I'll need to try it on my next team.

Offensive Xatu commonly runs Life Orb, so this happens anyway:
180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 400-473 (96.6 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

The spdef investment is very handy so stuff like
4 SpA Archeops Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 180-212 (43.4 - 51.2%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
doesn't happen, or even worse
4 SpA Life Orb Archeops Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 234-276 (56.5 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
and instead you merely get
4 SpA Life Orb Archeops Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 159-187 (38.4 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

SpDef Rhydon also beats Crotomb 1on1
16+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 103-123 (33.8 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+4 0 SpA Spiritomb Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 204-240 (49.2 - 57.9%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO - needs 4 boosts to even 2hko

And in general the investment makes Rhydon a bulky mofo that can take a ton of attacks that it shouldn't while retaining huge offensive presence thanks to strong STAB (and even non-STAB) moves such as EQ, Rock Blast/Stone Edge and Megahorn coming off of 130 base Attack stat. It's basically like Rhyperior in NU - Massive bulk on both sides of the spectrum while hitting like a truck with minimal investment.
Some more calcs to showcase, I guess
252+ SpA Dragalge Scald vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 268-316 (64.7 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - needs Specs Hydro Pump to get a guaranteed ohko on 100% Rhydon
252+ SpA Mesprit Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 352-416 (85 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO - can't take an LO boosted one BUT can eat up even boosted Ice Beams
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 265-312 (64 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Electivire Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 216-259 (52.1 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Magmortar Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 288-341 (69.5 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Rotom-S Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 230-274 (55.5 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Jynx Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 299-354 (72.2 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Mismagius Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 247-292 (59.6 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 292-348 (70.5 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It can be an emergency check to A TON of stuff - it can OHKO most of these in reutrn and those it can't it does heavy damage to (Mesprit, Mismag). It can't really take STAB 4x effective attacks, but what can, really.

Oh and while it can take all of these attacks it also retains some serious physical bulk.
252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 356-422 (85.9 - 101.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Damn now I made myself want to use it.

z0mOG

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 26 Championis a defending SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
DPL Champion

Pupitar @ Eviolite
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Why it isn't Verlisify: After an eviolite pupitar is able to gain nice bulk to compliment it's acceptable attack stat. It also has a great offensive typing in rock and ground, the two covering common pokemon in the tier such as Archeops, Magmortar, or Rotom-F. It can take advantage in its shed skin ability with a combination of rest to make up for its lack of recovery. The biggest downside to pupitar is it's poor defensive typing so you must watch out for common water and grass types like Samurott, Vileplume, Feraligatr, and Shiftry.

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bug Bite / Knock Off / Brick Break / Baton Pass
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Why it isn't a Caterpie: A very underrated nfe that I believe deserves justice. Scyther does have a crippling weakness to stealth rock and is walled by steel types if you're not running the piss-weak brick break. But I feel like Scyther has what it takes to be a notable NFE in the NU tier. Although Scyther's flying typing gives it the dreaded rocks weakness, it makes you invulnerable to toxic spikes. Scyther is a very reliable win condition, especially against stall/defensive teams. Scyther also has the speed to disrupt frail offensive mons, sitting at a clean base 105 speed, tieing with Cryogonal. Scyther sets up on anything that doesn't do more than 50% to it. Scyther also has solid defenses when backed up by its eviolite, boasting 70/80/80 defenses. The cool thing is that Scyther threatens out many pokes that carry knock off, such as Shiftry or Hariyama, so you'll almost always have your eviolite.

A replay showing off how good scyther is, I was in the hole 3 pokemon at the start but Scyther turned the game around: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-143508994

Edit: There are other coverage moves you can use, such as Brawlfest suggested, you can run knock off instead of bug bite. I personally don't like running brick break, but it's a pretty solid coverage move. You can even use baton pass if you want to!

Last edited:

Scyther @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Bug Bite
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Why it isn't a Caterpie: A very underrated nfe that I believe deserves justice. Scyther does have a crippling weakness to stealth rock and is walled by steel types if you're not running the piss-weak brick break. But I feel like Scyther has what it takes to be a notable NFE in the NU tier. Although Scyther's flying typing gives it the dreaded rocks weakness, it makes you invulnerable to toxic spikes. Scyther is a very reliable win condition, especially against stall/defensive teams. Scyther also has the speed to disrupt frail offensive mons, sitting at a clean base 105 speed, tieing with Cryogonal. Scyther sets up on anything that doesn't do more than 50% to it. Scyther also has solid defenses when backed up by its eviolite, boasting 70/80/80 defenses. The cool thing is that Scyther threatens out many pokes that carry knock off, such as Shiftry or Hariyama, so you'll almost always have your eviolite.

A replay showing off how good scyther is, I was in the hole 3 pokemon at the start but Scyther turned the game around: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-143508994
Knock Off hits everything Bug Bite would, but also hits steel types which is a massive boon!

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Scyther @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Bug Bite / Knock Off / Brick Break / Baton Pass
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Edit: There are other coverage moves you can use, such as Brawlfest suggested, you can run knock off instead of bug bite. I personally don't like running brick break, but it's a pretty solid coverage move. You can even use baton pass if you want to!
As well, Scyther has U-turn, which is a cool Bug-type attack. You know, if that's how you roll.

Edit: Reading is hard.

Last edited:

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Roar/Leech Seed
- Synthesis/protect

Why it isn't a sunkern:
Eviolite Quilladin has high physical bulk, its very hard to break it on the physical side. It walls lots of Physical attackers in the tier namely Feraligatr,Kangaskhan,choiced fighting pokemon. It can switch to common walls in the tier like rhydon,golem,seimitoad and threaten them to switch. It gets lots of free moves to lay spikes and is a reliable spiker. Due to bulletproof quiladin can switch on to one of the most common wall in the tier vileplume and set up spikes taking very less damage in return. Woodhammer is its STAB which does decent amount of damage against water,ground,rock pokemons. It even has an option of using recovery move, which makes him ever lasting. Roar is for phazing pokemon who try to set up on him or can be used for spike stalling. It even has the option of using leechseed and protect combo which makes him more annoying.

Whirlipede for Unlisted -> C-/C

Whirlipede gets a neat tool this generation in the form of Speed Boost. With amazing physical defense with Eviolite and a speed stat that gets boosted, it can become a formidable threat. With a strong Poison/Bug Typing, it can stop almost all Fighting and Physical Fairy types cold. With access to Spikes AND Toxic spikes, it can become a fast, reliable hazard setter. Although it does not get Baton Pass, the raised speed allows for a fast hazard setter after a few boosts. Even without investment in speed, it becomes quite fast at +2 speed. I see it becoming a decent threat. Also, it gets access to Struggle Bug, which patches its poor SpDef Stat. The only thing really letting it down is its weakness to SR and no access to recovery. It's attack stats are bismal; so it's not recommended an offensive set be used.

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Whirlipede: 170-201 (59.8 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Sawk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Whirlipede: 77-91 (27.1 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Granbull Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Whirlipede: 55-65 (19.3 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Whirlipede: 156-185 (54.9 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Jynx Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Whirlipede: 218-260 (76.7 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Archeops Sky Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Whirlipede: 236-278 (83 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Whirlipede: 91-109 (32 - 38.3%) -- 96.2% chance to 3HKO

y no rapid spin (Whirlipede) @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature / Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Protect
- Struggle Bug / Poison Jab

Bold is preferred as the -1 SpA boost that comes from Struggle Bug is rather useful in sponging attacks.

How it outclasses Qwilfish:
- boost of speed
- ability to sponge hits better specially
- doesn't need speed investment; more in defenses
Just quoting my Whirlipede from the NU Viability Ranking so I don't need to re-write it.

The main niche Whirlipede has is Speed Boost+ Endeavor and that is probably not enough to make it C- :/

Ares

The main niche Whirlipede has is Speed Boost+ Endeavor and that is probably not enough to make it C- :/
I have seen whirlipede be an effective spiker with an eviolite. So as another option to use over the other spikers in the tier it's alright. If you want to see it ranked fluze I would probably get some replays with it (at least 3 against good players) and edit your post in the NU viability thread.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

dargon (Fraxure) @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage/Dragon Claw/Dual Chop
- Aqua Tail/Poison Jab
- Low Kick

Why it isn't Dratini: Fraxure has some pretty good bulk when coupled with eviolite. It also has access to the really useful boosting move of dragon dance, which makes up for its low speed stat and makes its already high attack stat even better. However, it can't do much to the common fairy types of the tier such as granbull and slurpuff. Furthermore, despite its high attack stat, it doesnt have that much of a physical movepool to speak of.

Last edited:
It doesnt have that much of a physical movepool to speak of.
Outrage
SuperPower/Low Kick
Aqua Tail
Iron Tail
Night Slash (not needed)
X-Scissor (bad)
Shadow Claw (redundant)

???

I mean, it has plenty of moves, But outrage / Low Kick(or SP if banded)/Iron Tail are all you ever need anyway

Don't forget CB Fraxure, which on Sticky Web teams makes a frightningly good powerhouse.

TBH though, DD Fraxure isn't as good as it used to be. With the introduction of fairies, it pretty much has to rely on non-stab moves until it can remove them, before it can begin to use Outrage. This either a) forces it to stay away from its STAB, or b) revert to the far weaker Dragon Claw and Dual Chop [By the way Dual Chop is cool since you can break sturdy mons and Sash revenge killers such as a Jynx]!

LC Material...? (Clamperl) @ DeepSeaTooth
Ability: Rattled
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]/Substitute

Why it isn't Omanyte:
With a Deep Sea Tooth and Special Attack investment, Clamperl's Special Attack stat comes to a terrifying 492, a feat that even Mega Mewtwo Y barely can't reach. In addition to this, it also gets Shell Smash, and with those traits, you have a monstrous sweeper on your hands. With just a single Shell Smash, Clamperl can devastate offensive and defensive teams alike. Sadly, its Speed is a letdown, and even with +2 and a Timid nature, Clamperl just can't outspeed those scarfers and positive base 115s and up. It also has low defenses, and Shell Smash isn't doing those defenses any favors. However, if you set up Shell Smash at the right time, expect your opponent to kneel towards Clamperl.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LC Material...? (Clamperl) @ DeepSeaTooth
Ability: Rattled
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]/Substitute

Why it isn't Omanyte:
With a Deep Sea Tooth and Special Attack investment, Clamperl's Special Attack stat comes to a terrifying 492, a feat that even Mega Mewtwo Y barely can't reach. In addition to this, it also gets Shell Smash, and with those traits, you have a monstrous sweeper on your hands. With just a single Shell Smash, Clamperl can devastate offensive and defensive teams alike. Sadly, its Speed is a letdown, and even with +2 and a Timid nature, Clamperl just can't outspeed those scarfers and positive base 115s and up. It also has low defenses, and Shell Smash isn't doing those defenses any favors. However, if you set-up Shell Smash at the right time, expect your opponent to kneel towards Clamperl.
The glaring problem with the viability of this pokemon is that it pretty much has bad stats in general (being an LC pokemon of course) and even with your +2 speed boost from shell smash, it's outsped by basic things that easily take it out. To name a few: sceptile, scarf electivire, archeops, etc. Not to mention it's pretty much outclassed by basically every other shell smasher in the tier (gorebyss, barbacle, carracosta, omastar, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)