Project Victim of the Week

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Are we allowed to nominate more than one check/counter?

I was going to do victini but someone already reserved it :(
I'd rather it if everyone only posted one check/counter for Gardevoir. But feel free to nominate additional checks/counters to the Pokemon I mentioned in this post:
Hi! Just reminding you about this, since you said one hour, and it's been over 66 :-)
You have till noon EDT today to finish it. Otherwise it's going to Smog Frog.

Also, I've noticed that I picked a hard threat. Nominations have turned to mostly obscure Pokemon, which isn't necessarily bad. But, just to add more discussion to the thread, I'm allowing you to fill the archive. Tank Aegislash is missing 1 check and 1 counter, Kyurem-B has zero checks, Greninja is missing a check, and Mawile only has one check.

Feel free to nominate checks & counters to these three mons, as well as Gardevoir. I'd say to prioritize Gardevoir, as it's much more important this week, but if you know of a fantastic Aegislash check please share!
Also in that post I talked about the future of Victini. It's Smog Frog's now.
If you want us to nominate checks and counters for the old mons, could you put up the sets they are using? I'm pretty certain what the sets are but I'd like to be sure.
Sure! Here are the sets
Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Mild Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Last edited:

Counter

Victini @ Leftovers
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

This Victini set, known as StallTini, can counter Mega Gardevoir through a combination of bulk and resists(hyper voice does 30%~)and victini OHKOes back:

244+ Atk Victini V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 379-447 (136.8 - 161.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Victini is a simultaneous wall breaker and wall to threats with its nifty typing. It also walls another big threat, Mega Medicham, so it is definitely viable. Victini is also a pain in the ass to switch into even without a boosting item because a STAB 180 base power move is nothing short of ridiculous. It is also worth mentioning that Victini beats Bisharp, which is often paired with Mega Gardevoir to take out its counters. Also, this thing is cute af. Why the fuck would you not use it?

Counter

Victini @ Leftovers
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

This Victini set, known as StallTini, can counter Mega Gardevoir through a combination of bulk and resists(hyper voice does 30%~)and victini OHKOes back:

244+ Atk Victini V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 379-447 (136.8 - 161.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Victini is a simultaneous wall breaker and wall to threats with its nifty typing. It also walls another big threat, Mega Medicham, so it is definitely viable. Victini is also a pain in the ass to switch into even without a boosting item because a STAB 180 base power move is nothing short of ridiculous. It is also worth mentioning that Victini beats Bisharp, which is often paired with Mega Gardevoir to take out its counters. Also, this thing is cute af. Why the fuck would you not use it?
Just a nitpick, but I suggest using 32 speed EVs to outspeed Jolly Tyranitar and fast Aegislash. Also, you should probably mention that Victini is stellar against non-Knock Off Mega Mawile.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Check

Reuniclus @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpA / 60 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off

200+ SpA Reuniclus Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 140-166 (50.5 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Reuniclus: 178-211 (42 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Best thing I could come up with that hasn't been posted yet.

Reuniclus is kind of an odd pokemon, but it actually serves its role very well. Reuniclus is naturally very bulky, and assault vest allows it to sponge up large special hits. Regenerator keeps Reuniclus's hp up throughout the duration of the match and works well with assault vest. Reuniclus's SpA stat is also pretty decent and gives it something to hit back with.

200+ SpA Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 294-348 (91 - 107.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Reuniclus: 192-226 (45.3 - 53.4%) -- 34.4% chance to 2HKO
check

200+ SpA Reuniclus Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 356-420 (124.4 - 146.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Reuniclus: 205-244 (48.4 - 57.6%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO
another check

200+ SpA Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 147-174 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Reuniclus: 164-192 (38.7 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
non knock off, but I guess knock off is pretty common now
Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Drill Run
- Knock Off

252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Escavalier: 100-118 (29.1 - 34.4%) -- 4.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Escavalier Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 420-494 (151 - 177.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Powerful counter, but idk how well it works in OU, and it needs wish support

I tried Adrian Marin senpai I tried ._.

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak / Toxic / Iron Head / Pursuit / Sacred Sword / Substitute
- Shadow Sneak / Toxic / Iron Head / Pursuit / Sacred Sword / Substitute

This is the best Mega Gardevoir answer in the game. It fears nothing from it whatsoever, taking pitiful damage from even Hyper Voice and easily OHKOes in return with a strong STAB Shadow Ball. It can switch in multiple times per match and threaten it, and is exceedingly difficult to wear down significantly because it has no hazard vulnerability or anything like that. In fact Aegislash beats Mega Gardevoir so well that it's a bit less viable for it.
RIP

It is the best counter to Gardevoir, but I can gleefully "reject" it now. Adrian Marin don't worry about Doublade being outclassed :)

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Week 6: Mega Heracross

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Mega Heracross is a terrifying Pokemon to face if you're running a stall team; it runs through every Pokemon commonly on stall. However, it has many checks and counters on offensive teams. It would be great if we could balance offensive and defensive checks and counters, so we don't imply that the only way to beat Mega Heracross is by running Hyper Offense. However, it's kinda true...

Good luck!

btw RIP Aegislash. :)

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Mega Heracross is a terrifying Pokemon to face if you're running a stall team; it runs through every Pokemon commonly on stall. However, it has many checks and counters on offensive teams. It would be great if we could balance offensive and defensive checks and counters, so we don't imply that the only way to beat Mega Heracross is by running Hyper Offense. However, it's kinda true...

Good luck!

btw RIP Aegislash. :)
this is gonna be a tough one, i don't think this technically has a counter because the only possible one dies after SR damage.(clefable btw)

anyways a check

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk
(any set with brave bird checks)
so basically, come in after this thing has taken a life, click brave bird. goodbye heracross. anyways, its a check because it can't switch into rock blast.

Check

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave

Nidoking can come into anything Heracross throws, taking at most 70% and guaranties a OHKO with Fire Blast, but it needs modest to do that (Timid is a 69% of a OHKO). Being able to outpace Heracross, Nidoking can get around Heracross if it goes for a Swords Dance.

sorry about that above, idk what happened there

Clefable: Check

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower

Clefable technically is a counter, since it avoids the 2HKO from Rock Blast:

252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 175-210 (44.4 - 53.2%) -- approx. 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

However if one of them crits, or if stealth rocks are up, or for whatever reason Clefable isn't perfectly healthy, Clefable isn't a counter any more, so I felt safer labeling it a check.

Clefable has a cool characteristic as a Mega Heracross check that it is Unaware, so it loves switching in on Swords Dance, and in general, unlike other defensive checks, Mega Heracross can't just Swords Dance to overpower Clefable's recovery. You can heal up until you're at full health, chuck a Moon blast, then spam Moonlight again until you're healthy, chuck a second Moonblast, and Mega Heracross is toast.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Going with an old buddy of mine:

Brofagrigus (Cofagrigus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Cofagrigus has always been mediocre in OU. However, Cofagrigus has one thing over any other physical wall: Mummy. Any contact move removes the opponents ability and replaces it with Mummy, and the cycle continues with new Pokemon. Anyways, Cofagrigus has a niche in that he can wall fighting and flying spam quite well. This includes Mega Heracross, which cant even touch him:

252 Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 105-125 (32.8 - 39%) -- approx. 1.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

He then Burns Heracross:

252 Atk burned Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 50-60 (15.6 - 18.7%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery

From there Cofagrigus can spam HP Flying. Cofagrigus has room to run a filler move if he doesnt opt for the Rest Talk set, so HP Flying isnt that bad of a choice imo. Even if Hera SDs on the switch, he has a ~70% chance of living a +2 Rock Blast, and then another after the burn, making room for a Pain Split followed by HP FLying spam.

I think Ill call him a Hard check/counter, depending on how you view it.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Check

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

252+ Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 28 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 199-235 (63.3 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 28 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 140-165 (44.5 - 52.5%) -- approx. 10.9% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 216-255 (69.4 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Drain Punch vs. -1 40 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 101-120 (32.4 - 38.5%) -- 97.6% chance to 3HKO

Checks as long as Gunk Shot hits. I guess you could run Poison Jab over something, which guarantees a 2HKO if Heracross uses Close Combat. Or you could do Gunk Shot + Poison Jab for more reliable accuracy.

252 Atk for max damage, 228 Spe outspeeds Jolly 70s and Adamant Gyarados, rest is in HP.

Also deals with a lot of other relevant threats in OU, like Keldeo and Azumarill.

Credit to Sharpteeth for the set. Here for more in depth stuff.

Last edited:
Check

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 Spd
Bold Nature
-Air Slash
-Dazzling Gleam
-Aura Sphere
-Roost

Comes in on both of Mega Heracross' STABS scot-free, 4x resisting both of them.

252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 80+ Def Togekiss: 65-75 (17.4 - 20.1%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

248 HP gives it an extra switch into Stealth Rock, while 180 in Speed outspeeds this Mega Heracross and OHKOs with Air Slash. However, Togekiss must be wary of Rock Blast, which has approx. 81.3% chance to OHKO, but if an early Roost is necessary.

252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 80+ Def Togekiss: 175-210 (46.9 - 56.3%) -- approx. 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Check vs Counter: Check
Description: first, try to use something weak to rock. Skarmory can take it well. Then brave bird that bug top is death. And if he tries to set up with skarm around, whirlwind to the rescue. Check because he can't go in on a close combat.
Importable:
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 40 Atk / 216 HP
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

Check vs Counter: Check
Description: first, try to use something weak to rock. Skarmory can take it well. Then brave bird that bug top is death. And if he tries to set up with skarm around, whirlwind to the rescue. Check because he can't go in on a close combat.
Importable:
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 40 Atk / 216 HP
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Toxic
Just a small nitpick but you should swap your HP and Def EVs.

252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 216 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 416-492 (128 - 151.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Skarmory: 426-504 (127.5 - 150.8%)

And obviously max HP is also better vs special attackers :)

Just a small nitpick but you should swap your HP and Def EVs.

252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 216 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 416-492 (128 - 151.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Skarmory: 426-504 (127.5 - 150.8%)

And obviously max HP is also better vs special attackers :)
Thanks for the advice. But that was the past, and would I have taken that close combat better with 252 HP / 216+ Def?

well basicly everything that has a flying Move and is faster can 1HKO Mega-Heracross. Quad Weakness is just brutal.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 348-412 (95.6 - 113.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 792-936 (217.5 - 257.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Emolga Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Heracross: 360-424 (98.9 - 116.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Going with an old buddy of mine:

Brofagrigus (Cofagrigus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Cofagrigus has always been mediocre in OU. However, Cofagrigus has one thing over any other physical wall: Mummy. Any contact move removes the opponents ability and replaces it with Mummy, and the cycle continues with new Pokemon. Anyways, Cofagrigus has a niche in that he can wall fighting and flying spam quite well. This includes Mega Heracross, which cant even touch him:

252 Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 105-125 (32.8 - 39%) -- approx. 1.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

He then Burns Heracross:
252 Atk burned Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 50-60 (15.6 - 18.7%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery

From there Cofagrigus can spam HP Flying. Cofagrigus has room to run a filler move if he doesnt opt for the Rest Talk set, so HP Flying isnt that bad of a choice imo. Even if Hera SDs on the switch, he has a ~70% chance of living a +2 Rock Blast, and then another after the burn, making room for a Pain Split followed by HP FLying spam.

I think Ill call him a Hard check/counter, depending on how you view it.
252 Atk Mega Heracross Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Cofagrigus: 170-200 (53.1 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
for special cases like this i started to use Knockoff instead of SD (SD is way too risky on Mega-Hera since 90% of all Flying Pokemon can 1HKO it after SR).

My Favourite Counter is

Gliscor @ Toxic-Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 72 Spe / 252 HP
Impish Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Toxic/Roost/Knockoff (depends on what the rest of my team needs).

0 Atk Gliscor Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 220-264 (60.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 115-140 (32.4 - 39.5%) -- approx. 98.6% chance to 4HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 83-98 (23.4 - 27.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Mega Heracross Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 90-106 (25.4 - 29.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Poison Heal

Gliscor just walls it completly, can kill it pretty fast and thanks to protect you will 100% get the poison if the Mega-Hera is at max speed + its a pretty good defensive Pokemon anyway that can even work against other strong Physical pokemon (Mega-Pinsir and Conkeldur for example)

Hard Check

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Heracross is the perfect set up bait for Mega Pinsir, which can now run Close Combat to crush Rotom-W, since Aegislash is Uber.

Last edited:

Respectful.

Banned deucer.
Doublade (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw

R.I.P Aegi, your son is here. (!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)