The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

It would be a sad day if Diaz beat Silva. :/ All too possible. Who knows what shape Silva we be in or if the fight will even take place seeing as how far out it is.

The thought of them squaring off and taunting each other would be EPIC. Wonder how Silva would react to being slapped by Diaz..lol

Diaz/Silva isn't going to go anywhere, they'll be too busy taunting each other to bother doing anything besides slapping.

I assume Diaz is going up to 185? I don't see Silva shrinking to 170. But this will be interesting to see, both like to box without being wrassled. Normally I'd give Silva an easy advantage considering 1st loss to Weidman was arrogance/being out wrestled and the 2nd a freak injury, but who knows, Diaz could KO with punches if he catches Silva. At the same time, despite Silva's freaky KO power, Diaz has the iron chin going for him, so he'll need to probably land a kick to the head to KO him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jon-jo...ngerous-side-of-fight-game-221456664-mma.html

Admittedly it's a bit of a sick pleasure seeing them go at it like Silva/Sonnen did apparently at TUF Brazil, but the irony of course is that were they any $8k/show fighter on the roster, they'd be axed right away. But since they're champion and title contender, about the best Dana can really do is give them a ton of shit and fine them (also nice way to ruin the start of his vacation apparently). But at the same time, you can't buy much better publicity, fight fans love it and haters just gonna hate anyways.

Should be a pretty good fight in September. Assuming they don't take each other out at the weigh ins.

Last edited:
DC will hopefully eat Jones alive.

It's really easy to see either winning. You got Jones, who could keep DC at bay and pick him apart, and quite frankly, even finish him with strikes or a sub. Not only that but I believe Jones may even go for takedowns to throw DC off and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Jones took DC down. DC's ability to get back up and not eat elbows would be the deciding factor in this scenario, I think.

The other scenario is DC beating Jones up. It'll be VERY interesting to see what happens if/when DC takes Jones down. Jones could display sick ability off his back, and his elbows will come in handy even from the bottom.

DC will have to keep Jones on the defensive if he doesn't want to get gassed and finished in the 4th/5th/maybe sooner. His striking will have to be on point and he MUST make Jones respect his hands (and shins) early on in the fight if he doesn't want Jones to overwhelm him. We'll see if DC can use his power to muscle Jones against the cage and to wear him (and his will) down. If DC can take 2/3 or 3/3 of the first 3 rounds, things will get CRAZY.

Jones could kick DC's head and finish it in the first for all we know. Hopefully DC lives up to the hype and comes game (which I suspect he will) to breakdown Jones.

This is the most interesting match up for Jones out of anyone he's fought imo.

Also completely unrelated, the Machida/Weidman fight was great. I honesty thought Machida could win if he'd turn it up and when he finally did he managed to hurt Weidman. I just wish he was more proactive the first 3 rounds. Whenever he plays that game against patient fighters it never works out for him. I don't know if anyone at 185 has a great shot to beat Weidman.

obligatory favourites in no particular order:
Nick Diaz
Dominick Cruz
Cain
Chael Sonnen
TJ Diallashaw
Conor McGregor
The Chris
Honda Housey
Tyrone Spong
Holly Holm

Jones x DC cancelled is so disappointing considering all the shit talk and 'hype' but at least we get to see a fully(?) fit DC fight than one with a dodgy knee

Pitbull is back baby. Chubbier and better than ever! He's 8-1-1 in his last 10 and hasn't been KOed in any of those. Maybe he can pull a Robbie Lawler and use his experience and power to entertain (which he will) against the HW roster.

Also to suggest Diaz KOing Silva is laughable. Don't even know why I take the bait. Silva will probably choose to stay retired as we know in this business nothing is final until both guys are in the cage. (See Dillashaw/Barao 2)

DC will still have two, not one, dodgy knees to deal with but imho he'll either bring it and KTFO Jones or get worked and get subbed.

Swanson I'll play your game and make a list too. I don't know about favorites (SHOGUN) because I don't watch much MMA at all lately so I have no idea who 90% of the fighters are and usually like 50-70% even on the main cards.

Anyway these are the current guys I find most entertaining off the top of my head:

Shogun <3 -Stubborn. Badass. Love.
Aldo-Smarts. The best fighter imo.
Cormier-Tank
Cain-Tank. Unstoppable.
Romero-Have you guys seen him???? He's WAY too relaxed but he's amazing.
Weidman-Looks unstoppable. Will be interesting to follow his run as champ and see more of what he can do. Love his style. Guy is fearless.
Frankie Edgar-used to dislike him and his running around style but at 145 he's amazing and it's always interesting to see how his opponents try to deal (unsuccessfully) with him. He's also a near-perfect fighter imho.
Jones-Everyone watches Jones with the same rationale as Mayweather. We just wana see 'em lose. And they refuse to. But really Mayweather is on a different level and Jones is an arrogant, cheating, douche-bag.
Nurmagomedov-Here he is wrestling a bear as a child.
^Future 155 champ. Watch the video and tell me you're not a fan.

If Silva does return of course he'd be on the list. GSP too cuz who doesn't love GSP.

say, who here actually does mma, wether it's it's just one or multiple styles? I just started doing bjj and not sure if I should pick boxing or muay thai as a secondary style.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Diaz/Silva isn't going to go anywhere, they'll be too busy taunting each other to bother doing anything besides slapping.

I assume Diaz is going up to 185? I don't see Silva shrinking to 170. But this will be interesting to see, both like to box without being wrassled. Normally I'd give Silva an easy advantage considering 1st loss to Weidman was arrogance/being out wrestled and the 2nd a freak injury, but who knows, Diaz could KO with punches if he catches Silva. At the same time, despite Silva's freaky KO power, Diaz has the iron chin going for him, so he'll need to probably land a kick to the head to KO him.
It might be one of the most memorable MMA fights in history for all we know. And yeah I expect a catchweight 185.

VanGru - Im a 2 year 1 month blue belt in BJJ and we got some Spanish Guy that got his purple belt not too long ago. I think mirza does muay thai and Im not sure about the rest!

are you trying to do MMA?

It might be one of the most memorable MMA fights in history for all we know. And yeah I expect a catchweight 185.

VanGru - Im a 2 year 1 month blue belt in BJJ and we got some Spanish Guy that got his purple belt not too long ago. I think mirza does muay thai and Im not sure about the rest!

are you trying to do MMA?
yup, however Joe Rogan brought to my attention how easily you can get brain trauma and the effect of that, so I am not sure, if I should just stick to grappling.

Lol yeah getting punched in the head will do that. :) I don't want to step on anyone's dreams but I honestly would not recommend competing in the sport unless you're very dedicated and serious. I wouldn't recommend actually competing until you feel comfortable with your skills, physical fitness, and your gym/coaches. Give it time and develop your skills and you'll realize whether or not it's for you imo.

I haven't trained in a while now. :/ I envy you BJJ guys for your skills.

And holy shit Connor McGregor!

As for adding a 'secondary' skill to your BJJ training, that's not good reasoning in my opinion. This is just my opinion but Boxing, Muay Thai, Jiu Jits, Wrestling (many variants) are all equally important to put your time into in this sport. None are true complements of each other and it is necessary to cross train pretty much everything you find functionally useful. If you want my advice I'd recommend sticking to BJJ and start dabbling in other stuff and see what you like and where you can go from there. When you do dabble, make sure you find legitimate trainers and not meatheads to learn from. You may find you have a knack for something you didn't know you'd be good at.

At the end of the day each individual is unique. What you put in is what you get out. You develop yourself as a martial artist and it is up to you where you go and how far you can take it. :) IMO it's a beautiful thing that you can mold yourself into the martial artist you want to be. Along the way you evolve and if you like it it'll stick with you the rest of your life.

Lol yeah getting punched in the head will do that. :) I don't want to step on anyone's dreams but I honestly would not recommend competing in the sport unless you're very dedicated and serious. I wouldn't recommend actually competing until you feel comfortable with your skills, physical fitness, and your gym/coaches. Give it time and develop your skills and you'll realize whether or not it's for you imo.

I haven't trained in a while now. :/ I envy you BJJ guys for your skills.

And holy shit Connor McGregor!
It's not like I am going to compete, just train. I do want to compete in grappling tournaments, my wrestling has always been pretty good (albeit more technique focused rather than relying on physical prowess), so bjj is natural to me. My striking is generally horrible, got some good low and mid kicks but you might as well put pillows on my fists, got the knock out potential of a squirell.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
If youre a wrestler you will have a easier time in the beginning phase of BJJ. The problem is getting rid of wrestling habits as you continue and adapting your mentality to be ok with playing different guards, not just top game ex. takedown, pass, side control.

I can really say BJJ is something never in a million years or let alone 2 years ago I would think I would be doing in my life. And right now I dont think will ever look back. The more time I do it, the more i like it, and the more i get addicted to it. Last month I had a 13 days of training BJJ straight (almost did 14 but fucking shit came up). I def see the results now, like tonight.

I say go ahead and do it bro. With your wrestling backround...i think youre gonna like it.

Wrestling background does help in BJJ, but you are right wrestlers sometimes do have the bad habit of maintaining top control no matter what and giving up their backs for it.

Well, Im used to being on bottom (hardy har not during intercourse), being the lightest, always tried to apply submission from guard or half guard. Usually triangles, omoplata (sweeps), kimuras from guard, so bjj isn't really that new to me.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
thats pretty good dude. i would honestly focus on guard until blue belt, or even more tbh. while your training partners your belt age are having fun playing top all the time all the time you will spend getting beat from there will pay off at blue belt...when you end up on your back you wont have issues; it will be a confortable position. trust me i know the feeling of it not being being able to do shit from guard like you want to. i got 2 years bjj and just 3 months ago i JUST started playing top game. all my bjj time i spend it playing half guard. just half guard and sometimes closed guard. i can now safely and proudly say i give even brown belts trouble in half guard, both underhook half and deep half. its my favorite position and i feel so comfortable in it. i want to think my top game is good because i can maintain top game when i get the sweep for almost the entire match and submit from top as well. the crossface is your bestfriend from side control top position. i love it. btw its good to hear you fuck with kimuras...my fav position. you can do some much with that move. right now i get it from everywhere and i hunt for it hard...but i mostly use it for transitions and get dominant positions. im still learning the submission aspect of it!

my coach told me one time that anybody can be good at top, but not everybody can be good on bottom. something to put into perspective as a white belt.

thanks for the advice, mate. Hard to believe but I delivered a twister to a brown belt, I so wanted to do that after watching Eddie Bravos special on it and knowing the move from wrestling, he didn't see that coming X)

McGregor is great. Doubt he could handle a wrestler of Mendez or Edgar quality.

Hopefully Aldo smashes (he will) Mendez and McGregor can somehow get a match with Aldo. I'd love to see it. I'll take Aldo over anyone, though. McGregor stands wide he'd have to be very dynamic to check Aldo's kicks. Regardless. Hopefully McGregor will be here for years to entertain because that's what he does.

My boy Mirsad Bektic is 8-0 and fights at 145. I'm excited to follow his career even if I'm not really a fan of his technique but he's young so we'll see.

-------

Most importantly.. Cain V. is hurt and out of UFC 180. Werdum vs Mark Hunt for interim title..

They said Pride was dead.

Seriously though, fuck injuries. Cain is a GREAT fighter but holy shit. This is UFC's Mexico City card. Must be a HUGE disappointment to the UFC.

If Hunt becomes UFC HW champion that would be incredible. Since we're speculating it should be obvious Werdum subs Hunt pretty easily, however.

MyArtForum

Banned deucer.
nerds dont like sports why do you guys kid yourselves like this, ugh I am literally facepalming all over this thread omg such losers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)