Wii U

So recently I have watched some splatoon treehouse gameplay and am pretty excited to see that game. It gives me a Nintendo MOBA feel without towers feel. It has a lot of mechanics that intrigue me especially. They already showed multiple maps and more are coming, multiple weapons as well. Also the fact that this game well mostly depend on online play is a big step for Nintendo that I'm proud to see them make. I'm a big fan of the idea of this game and can't wait to see it. Anyone else looking forward to it, anything specific?
(sorry dont know how to hide, forgot, been a while since I last done much here)
Gameplay:

Video showing more weapons and maps:

I'm buying a Wii U and i have a question for people who have played Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101: which of those two games do you recommend getting? I've heard Pikmin 3 is way too short, and that 101 has control issues, is any of this true? I'm not partial to any game genre.

yea pikmin 3 is a bit short, especially in comparison to pikmin 2. there is still a decent amount of content in the story as well as a challenge mode. i have w101 but i haven't gotten a chance to play it because of monster hunter so can't tell you anything about that. i heard they're both pretty great games though.

btw if anyone has monster hunter 3u and wants to do some hunts w/ me feel free to add my monster hunter nnid daft_civilan (spelled wrong rip). it's not on my usual nnid (abstract_djin) because i accidentally started the file on a different user and didn't realize until about 10 hours in.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Many may have doubted Hyrule Warriors.

6:28 YOU CAN USE CUCKOO REINFORCEMENTS

Your argument is invalid. Must buy. (Also the rest of the direct is freakin' sweet but c'mon Cuckoo Army guys)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pikmin 3 really shines in the challenge mode if you go for broke and buy the cheap DLC and work to get gold or even platinum on the levels. Heck I barely touch the monster ones treasure collecting is where it is at.

This is also the best version of the dorf we have ever seen too glorious indeed.

K, so I decided to make a list of must have games for the system in a similar fashion to the 3DS thread in order to help Wii U owners find out what games to buy. Any "Mature" multi-platform game will be excluded, as a majority of Wii U ports suck ass and your better off getting most of them on a PS3 / 360 / Xbone / PS4 / PC. The list is still in WIP for now.
(*) indicates that it may not interest you as much as the other games on this list.
(**) indicates that the game has been release on other systems

Wii U Must Own Games:
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Pikmin 3
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
New Super Mario Bros U
New Super Luigi U*
Rayman Legends**
The Wonderful 101
Sonic Lost World
Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing**
ZombieU*
Nintendo Land*
Super Mario Maker
Super Smash Bros for Wii U
Hyrule Warriors
Splatoon

Wii U BC Must Own Games:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (although this will be outclassed by smash bros 4 when it comes out this holiday)
Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Donkey Kong Country Returns
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
New Super Mario Bros Wii*
Punch Out!!*
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid: Other M*
Sonic Colors*
New Play Control! Pikmins
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Zack and Wiki
Warioware Smooth Moves
Xenoblade Chronicles
Okami**

Wii U EShop Must Own Games
Earthbound
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros. 3
Megaman 2
Megaman X
Shovel Knight
Azure Striker Gunvolt
WIP

Wii BC WS Must Own Games
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Super Mario 64*
Paper Mario
F-Zero X
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Star Fox 64*
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Sonic the Hedgehog 3

WIP

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
I haven't heard much good about Lost World so you may wanna skip that one.

You really don't need to buy MKWii. MK8 is better in pretty much any way you could imagine. NSMBW and NSMBU are totally separate games and one doesn't really "outclass" the other, per se.

Brawl also probably won't need to exist after Sm4sh comes out.

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the Zelda games bar ALttP (and ALBW by extension). At the very least, I think OoT is overrated as all hell; as much as people like to say that it's a great game, it becomes relatively dull by modern standards if you remove the nostalgia goggles. ALttP being 2D helps it escape that trap. On WWHD: I think I've posted about this before (maybe complained on irc?) but if you're going to make a port, it really isn't enough to just make it prettier (clay graphics in dark areas also show where the graphics are genuinely worse than the original game), add in an item that makes getting around a bit faster (behind RNG and not just built in), and remove a tiny bit of tedious backtracking. Recent updated ports from Nintendo have more or less been acts of desperation; attempts to quell people's yearning for new games with nostalgia instead of real content.

Might as well make a "if you have nostalgia buy this" category for SSB.

There's a couple of random Wii games that would be nice to buy if you're into them / can obtain them in the first place. Off the top of my head I can think of the New Play Control! Pikmins (which afaik are stupid rare though), Rhythm Heaven Fever (literally about 10$ for a stellar game), Warioware Smooth Moves, and Zack and Wiki.

Oh, and Donkey Kong Country Returns is pretty different from DKCTF. The SNES DKCs are also pretty good games (DKC2 is filled with bullshit regarding how it hides secrets but if you're not OCD about 100%ing it you'll be fine). I personally enjoyed DKCR more than TF (I don't know why, but something about the tone is off in TF) but that's really a matter of personal opinion and (I imagine) one of those "whichever you play first you like more" type of things. Maybe that's also my own nostalgia, idk.

There's more VC stuff I have to look up since I don't remember for the life of me what I bought way back when.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the Zelda games bar ALttP (and ALBW by extension). At the very least, I think OoT is overrated as all hell; as much as people like to say that it's a great game, it becomes relatively dull by modern standards if you remove the nostalgia goggles.
By what modern standards? It's easily better than recent 3d zelda games, which are still better than most AAA cover based shooters. Well worth buying Magcargo.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I personally find Wind Waker to be a superior game, but that just might be me.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
There's just not a lot of comparable games to Zelda that have upped the ante. Okami is amazing and my favorite video game, but it has a bucket of flaws.

I've also heard mixed things about Lost World, but enough good ones that for me when I get a Wii U it'll be an early purchase.

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
Isn't that kind of a moot point, considering they aren't on the eshop?
I could be oblivious to how Wii VC works (totally possible since I haven't bought anything for it since transferring system data over to the Wii U) but afaik they exist on the Wii's normal VC...

E: Oh, wtf oO; good thing I downloaded DKC2 before I guess?

Last edited:
I could be oblivious to how Wii VC works (totally possible since I haven't bought anything for it since transferring system data over to the Wii U) but afaik they exist on the Wii's normal VC...
Actually the SNES DKC games were removed from the original Wii's VC in 2012 for some odd reason.

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
By what modern standards? It's easily better than recent 3d zelda games, which are still better than most AAA cover based shooters. Well worth buying Magcargo.
Recent 3D Zeldas are basically better OoTs. You might say Twilight Princess is bad or unnecessary for example, but it's basically Ocarina of Time done right : smoother combat mechanics and better puzzles (OoT you basically press switches and push blocks, plus the annoying infinite stacking small keys). No one can deny that OoT was freaking revolutionary back there, though.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Recent 3D Zeldas are basically better OoTs. You might say Twilight Princess is bad or unnecessary for example, but it's basically Ocarina of Time done right : smoother combat mechanics and better puzzles (OoT you basically press switches and push blocks, plus the annoying infinite stacking small keys). No one can deny that OoT was freaking revolutionary back there, though.
Twilight Princess has poor combat, a drastic step down from Windwaker with a stack full of special moves that add little, poor shield mechanics, and god forbid you're using the wii version where you'll just waggle the stick around till you win in every fight. The dungeons are absolutely uninspired. I was about halfway through someone's house before I realized it was supposed to be the ice dungeon. The first three dungeons feel like the starter temples to OoT, like you expect things to pick up or to encounter the "adult" forest, fire, and water temples but instead you just get a house, a knockoff stone tower temple, and playing catch the ball with wall masters. Desert temple was aight though. Then half the special items in the game don't function often outside of the dungeons they are designed for. Puzzles sounds like personal preference to me but since the level design in OoT was so much more inspired the individual puzzles flowed better.

Twilight Princess was a poor attempt to recapture Ocarina of Time without understanding anything of what made it special;

Ocarina includes the best characters in any Zelda game; the temples themselves. Beyond being associated with different elements, geographies, fantasy races, and characters, the temples also each had their own distinct soundtrack and associated melodies from the Ocarina. In music theory we learn that different types of songs are made to elicit different reactions; minuets, boleros, and nocturnes all have very different cultural connotations. I feel each temple also elicits different feelings; the forest temple feels lonely, the water temple maddening, the shadow temple frightening. I can extrapolate as far as to compare the five temples to the five stages of death. I’m certain the designers did not intend this, however when the game is layered with so much symbolism it invites all sorts of interpretation.
OoT shows its age somewhat. In the open environment there's a lot of wasted space and some truly bizarre dead ends (which might add to its charm, but few can deny Majora's Mask did a better job). But for its dungeon design alone, Ocarina will be one of the absolute best games ever made at least until someone does better. I cross my fingers everytime a new Zelda game comes out, and keep falling into new dungeons that haven't been built up at all (Ancient Cistern!!! Cool dungeon though).

Last edited:
Nintendo has a really solid lineup in 2015 for Wii U(assuming nothing gets delayed)
-Early 2015:
-Yoshi's Wooly World
-Mario Maker
-Splatoon
-Project Giant Robot
-2015(No specified release window)
-Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
-Project Guard
-Star Fox
-Xenoblade Chronicles X
-Zelda Wii U

Man I can't wait for 2016 when the SMTxFE trailer is going to come out.
Me too brother. They just announced it way too early. If they announced it this year with an epic trailer it would've been fantastic and would've been a mind blower. Now we must wait for hype to really begin. I want a FE Wii U tho

Magcargo I find it sad that your "must-own" Wii U list is pretty much the entire library of exclusives (minus ZombiU which, terrible name aside, should probably be added for completeness's sake). Like there is nothing else on that system... that's a sad thought. The fact that people are just discussing Nintendo's former glories here kind of backs that up. And I'm not convinced by Sonic Racing - it's a multiplat. (Rayman Legends only gets a pass because it was designed for the Wii U and makes the most of the touch screen, better than any of Nintendo's games.) That, and, next to MK8, it's a case of "why have brisket when you could have steak?"

Oh, and people are forgetting Nintendo Land. That game is way more fun than I expected it to be. It should definitely have been a Wii game, to try and hook the casual Wii owners onto Nintendo's core franchises while they were still paying attention, but whatever. In a similar vein, NES remix (though I admit to not having played it) is the closest thing the console has to a WarioWare game.

There should probably also be an indie games discussion. The Wii U has some interesting indies (everyone went nuts over Shovel Knight) and it would help promote some actual discussion rather than just listing all the Wii U games there are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)