XY OU GardSpam Current peak is 1760

The Team

I felt like building a team around mega Gardevoir would be a good idea for a team following the recent banning of Aegislash which was one of the few things that Gard had any real trouble dealing with and it's proven to be successful thus far. I haven't gotten a top Peak just yet as i have tested the team but have not seen how high it can get. [Same kind of idea as Dragspam] Rates / Comments on how to make the team better are all greatly appreciated.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Gardevoir's role in the team is to pretty much spam Hyper voice after all switch ins have been taken care of by the rest of the team. Hyper voice is the main damaging STAB dealing crazy damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Psyshock is my coverage move and is there to hit specially defensive mons like Chansey for better damage and also to hit some mons super effectively. I run will-o-wisp in the next slot over focus blast simply because it's not needed. The team is built to remove pokes such as Ferrothorn that Gard would normally carry focus blast for and by running will-o-wisp i can punish some switch ins such as Scizor, and i can also get the burn on any Bisharps which most commonly pursuit predicting the switch or knock off predicting my Keldeo to come out. Taunt is the last move as it helps gard beat stall, one example being that it allows it to beat Chansey 1v1 and stop it softboiling up and having mons like this weakened is good for the rest of the team. I've also been seeing a lot of rest cm goth and taunt also allows it to beat that 1v1.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Magnezone is on this team to trap common switch ins to Gard like Scizor, Ferrothorn etc and helps get rid of them so that Gard can spam Hyper voice. The 144 EVs in speed are to outspeed uninvested Heatran so that i can volt switch out on it as trapping / volt switching is commonly how i weaken down opposing Trans, since Keldeo can't deal with trans if they are partnered with a Slowbro for example. I chose specs over scarf with a modest nature since Heatran is the fastest that i need to outspeed and it can potentially stop Ferrothorn getting up hazards whilst trapped depending on it's EV spread.

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
-Rock Slide
-Stealth Rocks
-Earthquake
-U-turn

Landorus forms the first part of my defensive core and is also my stealth rocker. It helps the team deal with threats such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir and sand rush Drill after Rotom is weakened. The 72 speed is to outspeed adamant Bisharp and i threw the rest in Defense with 252 HP to better deal with the threats mentioned before. I don't feel stone edge is needed as Landorus is there to check things like mega pinsir / Talonflame which faint to one rock slide anyway, the only thing it fails to ohko which stone edge could help with is Dragonite which this Landorus beats after playing around with intimidates and the added accuracy of rock slide is nice to have. I also have Scarf Keldeo to check Dragonites after the multiscale is broken, another reason why i feel stone miss isn't necessary.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Secret Sword

Originally, I ran this Keldeo with choice specs and it's role in the team was to punch holes in opposing teams due to the few switch ins that it does have and was the team's secondary answer for things like Heatran and Ferrothorn which in turn supports Gardevoir. I however found after testing that the team lacked a reliable check for Greninja and lacked speed in general, so i felt scarfing Keldeo would be beneficial to me, helping me to better check these threats. The surprise factor is also nice when facing opposing Thundurus that may straight tbolt instead of t-waving as it allows me to get off a hydro which ohkos Thundy after rocks. I run HP ice as DD Dragonite can run through my team if certain members are weakened and because i prefer the extra 5 base power over the speed drop given from icy wind which isn't needed due to the fact that i'm scarfed. I run Modest over Timid as it almost guarantees that scald is a 2hko on Heatran and generally hits Keldeo's common switch ins harder. I have however been considering timid with enough speed to outspeed scarfchomp, but i don't feel a need to change this as Landorus can beat it 1v1 and some scarfchomps do run Adamant over jolly.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 74 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Latias' role in the team is mainly to defog away hazards but is also a switch in for certain mons that threaten my team, one being Keldeo. The 74 HP EVs allow it to live two life orb'd HP ices from Thundy as like i said before the thing is a threat to my team and having this as another check benefits me. Latias is also useful late game as it can healing wish up potential win conditions after it has defogged away hazards if needed. Also, despite only having 184 EVs invested in special attack, a life orb' draco from this is nothing to laugh at and can help weaken down / ohko pokes on opposing teams.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

The last member of the team is Rotom-Wash forming a defensive core with Landorus as both of them in conjunction help deal with a lot of Gardevoir's checks and in general have good synergy. The spdef investment helps Rotom take on opposing Thundurus decently and i also feel Defense investment isn't needed as i do also have my Landorus to sponge up physical hits. This is mainly here to better take on threats like sand rush drill and birds such as Talon and Mega Pinsir. Teams that carry these mons are commonly ones that work by applying pressure and weakening down things like my Landorus so having rotom as a secondary check to these both helps out Gardevoir and the team in general in the long run. (sand rush drill being one of the main threats to my Gardevoir.) It's also nice to have as a pivot due to it's great typing and is another way for my team to deal with all Greninja barring the HP Grass set which i would normally scout for. The IV of 29 in speed is there to always be outsped by opposing uninvested rotoms [even those running 30 for the same reason], this is nice as i can always move second and can sometimes help keep momentum.

Last edited:
Nice team fren :] But the only thing I'd change is Icy Wind > HP Ice on Keldeo. I know you stated that you're scarfed but sometimes you've gotta switch into something that may not outspeed it. I guess it's personal preferance but I'd rather have it just in case I need to switch to something slower. Also you could drop to 29 ivs in speed on rotom to outspeed people who have 30 for the same reason, unless it makes you slower than something crucial. Magzone is nice, getting pretty powerful atm, seen and used it a few times. I know there aren't a lot of teams that aren't but your team is a little magvoir weak itself. Other than these critisisms which I could only really find by nitpicking your team looks pretty solid :]]]]]]

Nice team fren :] But the only thing I'd change is Icy Wind > HP Ice on Keldeo. I know you stated that you're scarfed but sometimes you've gotta switch into something that may not outspeed it. I guess it's personal preferance but I'd rather have it just in case I need to switch to something slower. Also you could drop to 29 ivs in speed on rotom to outspeed people who have 30 for the same reason, unless it makes you slower than something crucial. Magzone is nice, getting pretty powerful atm, seen and used it a few times. I know there aren't a lot of teams that aren't but your team is a little magvoir weak itself. Other than these critisisms which I could only really find by nitpicking your team looks pretty solid :]]]]]]
I agree with the iv speed of 29, used that in the past so i'll probably change it up at some point, however i've never found myself in a situation where the speed drop from icy wind is useful. I'll try using it for a bit but i think i'll most likely stick with HP ice. Thanks for the advice though :]

I ran a team almost the exact same as this, it does a lot of work if you have good prediction skills, but its pretty weak to AV Azumarill and Megacham, especially with bullet punch. Also, I run Megardevoir on basically every team I use and I find that Modest nature is so much better than timid.

I ran a team almost the exact same as this, it does a lot of work if you have good prediction skills, but its pretty weak to AV Azumarill and Megacham, especially with bullet punch. Also, I run Megardevoir on basically every team I use and I find that Modest nature is so much better than timid.
Ok i'll give modest a try, and yeah Av azu and megacham do take a lot of playing around and can be a real problem. Normally have to play around with intimidates using lando as a pivot. Either that or fish for a burn with keld but they're definitely something the team struggles with. Thanks for the advice :]

Hey there, that is a pretty nice team you have there, however I can't help but notice that you are a little Thundurus weak. Also, I feel as though having Magnezone with Will-O-Wisp Gardevoir is redundant as Will-O-Wisp already cripples Gardeviors counters which then Keldeo or Landorus-T can deal with pretty nicely, and eventually be worn down to a point where Gardevoir can just spam Hyper Voice. So instead of using Magnezone, I suggest using a Clefable with just enough investment to deal with Thundurus & Greninja (which may cause a problem if it has HP grass).

Also, I notice that Landorus-T and Rotom-W fill out similar roles both being able to handle both excasand and Talonflame, also the only reason to really run Sp.d Rotom-w in this metagame is to check Greninja and if you use Clefable > Magnezone you will be able to handle Greninja pretty well. So I suggest just using a physically defensive Rotom-W as it can handle most of the things that Landorus-T can. Also by doing this you will allow yourself the space for a late game sweeper in the form of double dance Landorus-T.

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 96 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Landorus (Landorus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Anyway, nice team and good luck!

Last edited:
I agree with the iv speed of 29, used that in the past so i'll probably change it up at some point, however i've never found myself in a situation where the speed drop from icy wind is useful. I'll try using it for a bit but i think i'll most likely stick with HP ice. Thanks for the advice though :]
Nice team, like you I think that HP Ice is better than Icy Wind. I've used Icy Wind in the past (mainly because I wanted a different Hidden Power) and the fact it's only 95% accurate makes a big difference, you'd be kicking yourself when you have a crucial miss.

Unbirthday

TOP QUALITY POSTS
Hey this team looks pretty solid overall, so I only got a few suggestions. First of all, I would either put Magnezone at 202 speed (184 EVs) or outright max its Speed as very, very few Heatran run no speed at all these days and Magnezone seems to be pretty instrumental in your ability to beat Heatran reliably. Most of them creep on Venusaur/Adamant Mawile and circle at around 201 Speed, but maxing Speed is an option if you want to be absolutely certain that you outspeed defensive-minded Heatran. The extra bulk on Magnezone is nice but generally, most hits that O/2HKO Magnezone still do so regardless of investment as it either has the natural bulk to take them anyway or they're just way too powerful to begin with. I would definitely give Keldeo a Timid nature as there are some situations in which it is incredibly useful (such as outspeeding +2 Adamant Dragonite. They don't have an easy time setting up against this team, but they definitely have the chance to do so against Pokemon such as Magnezone locked into HP Fire). While the extra power from Modest is very handy in some situations, I would definitely value speed over power here as the small increase in power is generally not worth the ability to prevent a sweep from Pokemon such as Dragonite. Lastly, while Rotom-W is a nice Greninja or Thundurus check on paper, it has a really hard time doing so in practice as Pokemon such as Hidden Power Grass Greninja and even just Life Orb Thundurus heavily dent it. It is also extremely prone to getting worn down. For that reason, and to somewhat make up for your overreliance on Landorus to check key threats such as Mega Pinsir, Mega Mawile, Talonflame and Sand Rush Excadrill, I would run a physically defensive spread instead. This also gives you a more solid answer to Azumarill who does a huge number to your team in its current state. While you do appear a bit weaker to Thundurus and Greninja, Gardevoir and especially Keldeo should be able to hold them off long enough for you to weaken and eventually kill them. Rotom-W still tanks a hit from both anyway and I'm positive this change will greatly improve your matchup against both Sand and BirdSpam teams in general.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 74 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Secret Sword

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Last edited:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi Dark_380 really cool concepts you've got going on here.
Unfortunately I don't have quite enough time to really analyse how your team does in the meta, but I'll give you some small suggestions off the top of my head anyway.

I really encourage you to run Stone Edge > Rock Slide on Landorus-T for a few reasons.
1. To retain the OHKO on Mega Pinsir without needing to invest in Atk,
2. Stone Edge also KOs Thundurus after Stealth Rock if it tries to switch in on a predicted Earthquake, Rock Slide only has a 30% to do so.
and 3, it does more damage to probably one of the biggest threats to your team right now, Gyarados. If you let your Keldeo die, Mega Evolved Gyarados actually sweeps your team clean with just one Dragon Dance boost. Rock Slide does pitiful damage to normal Gyarados after Intimidate, while Stone Edge threatens to 2HKO and also limits it's opportunities to switch into SR more, which is great because the less it's on the field the better for your team, considering it can really do some damage to the majority of your team if it is allowed to be flexible with its Mega Evolution, especially if it runs Jolly or your Gardevoir has not Mega evolved. At least Stone Edge pressures your opponent to Mega evolve Gyarados so you can then guarantee the revenge kill with Keldeo.

Go ahead and just run Max Speed on your Magnezone, most Heatran do tend to run Speed EVs and a lot of other Pokemon such as Azumarill and Mawile can possibly outspeed you if they speed creep hard enough. Magnezone really won't miss the bulk nor does it really help it achieve it's goal anyway and you really can't afford to let it take hits from the aforementioned threats before Volt Switching.

Thats all I have for you for now, I may come back to this in the morning and go more in detail. Good luck!

EDIT: Unbirthday , Timid Scarf actually barely misses out on +2 Adamant Gyarados, and while it does outspeed +2 Adamant Dragonite by a point, ExtremeSpeed will be doing upwards of 75% to Keldeo by that point, so it may not be worth it after all.

Well, after trying this excellent team the only thing I have to say is that probably there are no entries in Gardevoir nor Keldeo, but the team works well and is an Offensive sometimes that does not require Pivot certain threat as it makes a revengekill. The volt-turn core works excellently. Maybe just put Heatran> Magnezone, the problem remains that Heatran don't have Magnet Pull. Beautiful team. Congratulations! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)