Megas For All (Read the whole 1st post and check current slate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saying, there's not a single mega that changes forms. Even the ones made here, Mega Aegislash for example gets a new ability and the same stats regardless of its form before Mega Evolving. Keeping separate forms for the individual 'mon and its Mega would be a bit of a hassle.
There are all sorts of things that no megas had been that we've done. No mega's been immune to priority. No mega's automatically used Leech Seed when it evolves or switches in. You can hardly use the lack of precedent as a precedent when it comes to abilities here, only what abilities are sensible. I'm sure that even if it doesn't get your votes, you and others will find that my Stance Change Accelgor (which is using the exact same mechanics as Aegislash, down to the move that causes the mode shift) is perfectly sensible.

Finally, considering there's an entire pet mod using variations of Stance Change, I'm sure we can find one coder who can do it for us. Again, not rebuilding the wheel here, my Mega Accelgor simply has a default defensive form that switches to offense when it attacks and back to defense when it switches or uses King's Shield, precisely in the same way Aegislash functions.

I would think Competitive might work better.

Hmm.... This gives me an idea.
Man, nothing would make me happier if both Escavalier and Accelgor got X and Y forms, with my evolution-stat-shenanigans flavor megas as X form and Defiant Escavalier/Competitive Accelgor similarly mirroring each other in Y form.

Defog-blocking Accelgor seems pretty cool.
If I end up not submitting anything this round, someone please submit a Clear Ice Cryogonal in my place? =3
Changing the name of Winter Shield or making a clone for Mienshao might work, as long as its Speed doesn't go too high.

Well, at least nobody else wants to turn speed into damage aside from me, so I got that niche for the ninja bug. Even without any speed increase, adding half his speed is a good 160~ to 210~ extra stat power depending on how you EV and nature it (you'll probably max it.) I'm not sure it'd be broken though, but if I keep it frail it'll certainly run into neutral coverage issues.

If I end up not submitting anything this round, someone please submit a Clear Ice Cryogonal in my place? =3
Changing the name of Winter Shield or making a clone for Mienshao might work, as long as its Speed doesn't go too high.
TBH, Eastern monks often live in cold enough weather that Mienshao having Winter Shield and calling it Winter Shield isn't too farfetch'd. Still, I really think we should "nerf" Winter Shield to reduce the priority of priority attacks rather than rendering the user immune to them entirely.

Reactions: AM
I am
Well, at least nobody else wants to turn speed into damage aside from me, so I got that niche for the ninja bug. Even without any speed increase, adding half his speed is a good 160~ to 210~ extra stat power depending on how you EV and nature it (you'll probably max it.) I'm not sure it'd be broken though, but if I keep it frail it'll certainly run into neutral coverage issues.
I'm doing something similar

TBH, Eastern monks often live in cold enough weather that Mienshao having Winter Shield and calling it Winter Shield isn't too farfetch'd. Still, I really think we should "nerf" Winter Shield to reduce the priority of priority attacks rather than rendering the user immune to them entirely.
It'd be funny to make it -2 priority, so +1 such as Mach Punch become -1, Espeed becomes 0, and Fake Out becomes 1 (can be played around with your own priority).

Or just -1 to opposing priotiy and half damage (as opposed to immune)

Last edited:
It'd be funny to make it -2 priority, so +1 such as Mach Punch become -1, Espeed becomes 0, and Fake Out becomes 1 (can be played around with your own priority).

Very much pro this -2 priority for priority attacks concept. I love it when an idea that's been brewing in my head finds the best solution I can think of, and I don't even have to think of it because someone else does it for me.

Reactions: AM

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Might be better just to go with the -2 priority. Seems more basic and would still work instead of -1 and half damage which seems weird to me.

I think a flat -1 to priority being used against the Pokemon should be made into an entirely new custom ability instead of changing Winter Shield. If we change WS, Glaceon, the other user of the ability, may still get outsped and boned by some priority moves like a Lucario Bullet Punch (I don't know MGlaceon's speed but I assume it's around 90). Obviously this isn't what the creator of the ability intended, so it's best to leave that alone and create a slightly different ability for our own slightly different needs. By giving Mega Mienshao a priority neutralizer and extra speed, we leave the path clear for it to drop absolute nukes in the form of Hi Jump Kick, because anything that outspeeds it is going to force it out, and so additional speed increases its ability to stay in. I think an increase in speed to maybe 120/125 at most is good, because it leaves it outsped by some strong attackers that can cripple Mienshao like Aerodactyl so it doesn't to outspeed and destroy the entire meta. In addition, it is kept in check by most physical walls that aren't hit for SE damage like Mega Venusaur, not to mention Extreme Speed. Actually, that's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the -2 priority - it removes one of his few checks in Extreme Speed, not to mention discourages use of priority in general. But those checks aside, Mienshao can sweep with its good coverage without getting forced out by priority users. That's just my opinion, though, and obviously if my design doesn't win, it doesn't matter at all.

Also, lowering the priority of priority moves seems like it would be a bit complex... Maybe just keep the immunity and don't give the ability to Mega Mienshao.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I was assuming we were talking about Beartic, which is a mon that falls under pure mediocrity at best and needs a drastic boost such as that. Yeah an ability that reduces the priority to that extent on Mienshao would just it make broken from an offensive stand point. It's already pretty fast and one of the things that can actually reliably take out Mienshao as of now is priority. The fact it will more likely get more speed and basically say screw you to anything under its speed tier would be a bit much.

I may seem ignorant here, but why would priority immunity be broken compared to other immunities?
Cause the concept of revenge killing is basically reduced to a 1/2 of its effectiveness, the other half being scarfed mons. This means that things like Azumarill, M-Cham, M-Pinsir for the most part, could potentially auto lose due to the fact that they can't out speed it, can't use priority cause of the ability, or allows Mienshao to pivot out with U-Turn at little to no opportunity cost for the Mienshao user and the team being used along with it. Yeah I was still typing this when nightsitter replied but possibly his/her idea would be much better. Just give Mienshao something basic. It's already got plenty of stuff to work with move pool wise and in general utility as a whole from a team mate perspective.

Also, lowering the priority of priority moves seems like it would be a bit complex... Maybe just keep the immunity and don't give the ability to Mega Mienshao.
Yeah, the immunity is just auto-Quick Guard every turn (like that post said about making custom abilities try to at least have the function of an item or move) while the other one is getting into mechanics.

Thing is, Mienshao pretty much needs something that takes care of its staggering weakness to the omnipresent Flying type, particularly its priority, if it wants to work in OU. The advent of Fairy typing, the buffing of Ghost typing, and the recent "buffing" of Psychic types like the Latis, Starmie, and Bronzong now that Aegislash is banned is bad enough, but add in two incredibly common mons that can OHKO Mienshao's wet paper defenses with a click of a button and we've got our work cut out for us.

Considering Mienshao has no speed-boosting abilities and can easily be given a great but not impossible-to-overcome speed, I'm definitely going for a priority counter here, with a huge investment in Special Attack to make Mienshao mixed, but more importantly to keep its Attack from getting too crazy now that one method of revenge killing is off the table. I'll go into detail in my submission, of course.

my idea was to discourage priority/fast mons by damaging them. this is especially notable on talon and pinsir who are weak to stealth rock and the formers priority already has recoil so your opponent really wants to think over using talon or pinsir on him since talon likely autodies when using bb on him

Hmm, would something that can counter Mega Pinsir be such a bad thing or is it not as dangerous as it once was?

God forbid a mediocre mon gets a really good ability. Why are we discussing an ice themed ability on a fighting type anyway?

my idea was to discourage priority/fast mons by damaging them. this is especially notable on talon and pinsir who are weak to stealth rock and the formers priority already has recoil so your opponent really wants to think over using talon or pinsir on him since talon likely autodies when using bb on him
It would take heavily HP-invested Mienshao and a min/low HP-invested Talonflame, using Life Orb and having switched in on rocks, to die to recoil from Brave Bird (Mienshao's max HP, 344, would yield 112 in recoil damage pre-Life Orb, and min-HP Talonflame has 133 HP after switching into SR). If you really hate Talonflame enough to invest in Mienshao's HP just to sacrifice it in specific occasions, why not just use Heatran or Rotom H?
Hmm, would something that can counter Mega Pinsir be such a bad thing or is it not as dangerous as it once was?

God forbid a mediocre mon gets a really good ability. Why are we discussing an ice themed ability on a fighting type anyway?
This is written in a really confusing way. The first paragraph makes it seem that you're pro countering Mega Pinsir, and the second makes it seem like you're...against that? Or against giving an arbitrarily-named fan ability to a pokemon based on its flavor maybe not fitting the arbitrary naming? Even though, as mentioned, Mienshao certainly can fit Winter's Shield's arbitrary name given the association of Eastern monks with cold environments?

I'd love to know what you're actually saying here.

I'm saying yes, let's counter Mega Pinsir and hell, let's include Gale Wings and Prankster, but Winter Shield should go on wintery or ice type Pokemon who by nature of their type need defensive help: it makes no sense on Meinshao who isn't ice type.

It would take heavily HP-invested Mienshao and a min/low HP-invested Talonflame, using Life Orb and having switched in on rocks, to die to recoil from Brave Bird (Mienshao's max HP, 344, would yield 112 in recoil damage pre-Life Orb, and min-HP Talonflame has 133 HP after switching into SR). If you really hate Talonflame enough to invest in Mienshao's HP just to sacrifice it in specific occasions, why not just use Heatran or Rotom H?

This is written in a really confusing way. The first paragraph makes it seem that you're pro countering Mega Pinsir, and the second makes it seem like you're...against that? Or against giving an arbitrarily-named fan ability to a pokemon based on its flavor maybe not fitting the arbitrary naming? Even though, as mentioned, Mienshao certainly can fit Winter's Shield's arbitrary name given the association of Eastern monks with cold environments?

I'd love to know what you're actually saying here.
OHKO on judo mienshao with gale wings brave bird would yield 172 damage in recoil not counting natural recoil

I'm saying yes, let's counter Mega Pinsir and hell, let's include Gale Wings and Prankster, but Winter Shield should go on wintery or ice type Pokemon who by nature of their type need defensive help: it makes no sense on Meinshao who isn't ice type.
To which I repeat, Winter Shield's name is completely arbitrary. We made it up on this thread. It could be called literally any combination of words that we want because it's made by us. So you really shouldn't be taking the name into account. We can change the name. Or we can give Mienshao a clone ability, but that's pointless, because we can just change the name. And again (third time I've had to say this now), even if we couldn't change the name (which, I guess it bears repeating, we can), Meinshao is based off an Eastern monk. Who live in the mountains. Where it gets cold. Perhaps even cold enough for a wintry shield.

Put another way:

A: The name "Winter Shield" means absolutely nothing, as it's a fanmade ability whose name isn't finalized. Its existence on Glaceon gives it that name, but it could just as easily be renamed "Inner Peace" or "Outspeed" or "Reflexes" or anything else, because the name is arbitrary. There's nothing specifically wintry about blocking priority that means we have to call it that. Hell, if this ability acts like Quick Guard, then really, the only flavor we have to go by mechanics-wise suggests it would be a Fighting flavor as Quick Guard is a Fighting-type move. In fact, the Mienshao family, unlike Glaceon, actually gets Quick Guard as justification for this ability.
B: Just in case we're hell-bent on "Winter Shield" being the official name for some reason, we can either give Mienshao a clone ability, or justify its use on Mienshao through Mienshao's own flavor as a pokemonk.

If this isn't clear enough I guess I'll say it again in an even different way, just let me know. Sorry if I sound snarky, but there seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding here and I don't really get why you don't get it.

Last edited:
OHKO on judo mienshao with gale wings brave bird would yield 172 damage in recoil not counting natural recoil
Forgot about your new ability. I guess it discourages Talonflame from attacking, but I still worry that this strategy of deterring Brave Bird requires rocks to be on the field (which is hardly a given thanks to the new hazard meta and, thanks to the banning of Aegislash, is now even less of a given because of the increased viability of Defog Latis). We'll see how it does.

Judo does make me wish we could invent new abilities for the current CAP, though. Man that's going nowhere.

In regards to Mienshao and priority, there is a precedence for abilities that penalize the use of certain moves; ie: Rough Skin and Iron Barbs damaging the opponent, Defiant and Competitive boosting the user's offenses when a stat-lowering move is used (Defog), Guts and Synchronize doing the same for status, Flame Body, Static, and Poison Point statusing the opponent for contact moves and Gooey dropping the opponent's Speed...

In other words, perhaps another way to look at it is to penalize the opponent for attacking Mienshao with a priority move. Either boost Mienshao's Attack or Speed (precedence from Defiant), lower the opponent's Attack sharply (precedence from Gooey, trading a wider application for a sharper stat drop), or something along those lines.

In regards to Mienshao and priority, there is a precedence for abilities that penalize the use of certain moves; ie: Rough Skin and Iron Barbs damaging the opponent, Defiant and Competitive boosting the user's offenses when a stat-lowering move is used (Defog), Guts and Synchronize doing the same for status, Flame Body, Static, and Poison Point statusing the opponent for contact moves and Gooey dropping the opponent's Speed...

In other words, perhaps another way to look at it is to penalize the opponent for attacking Mienshao with a priority move. Either boost Mienshao's Attack or Speed (precedence from Defiant), lower the opponent's Attack sharply (precedence from Gooey, trading a wider application for a sharper stat drop), or something along those lines.
Except what's the point of having a status boost if Mienshao is annihilated by the priority moves it would gain these boosts from? A stat-lowering ability is similar to what was discussed in the early stages of the latest CAP; the idea is that a mon would be KOd but leave a lasting effect while doing so, and if a new ability let it lower stats (we can't make a new ability so the discussion waned) then it can use the KO as momentum-changing pivot on a crippled mon.

However, Talonflame and to a lesser extent Pinsir have enough counters that easing in a new mon in the wake of Mienshao's death probably isn't worth losing a pokemon, particularly a mega, to two incredibly common pokemon that can reliably beat Mienshao 100% of the time.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Alright guys here are the results

Beheeyem: clapyourhands
Beheeyem

Typing: Psychic -----> Psychic/Steel (like a UFO [LGM-->BEM-->UFO])
Abilities: Telepathy / Synchronize / Analytic -----> Analytic
BST: 75/75/75/125/95/40 -----> 75/120/79/150/123/38
Moves: Flash Cannon

Weeee, I'm back! (at least for this one). So here's Mega Beheeyem, a Pokemon based off of aliens (particularly those depicted in western media, such as little green men and "men in black"). A few months ago there was quite a bit of support for a Psychic/Steel Mega for Beheeyem based off of UFOs, that was unfortunately put aside due to not meeting the requirements set for the project (100 BST, no HP boosts, etc.) Now that Beheeyem is back on the slate, here's my take on that idea, and how it is intended to work in the metagame.

To start off, a major difference between how the project was at its start and how it is now is the simple fact that we've already created a bunch of new Megas, and many ideas intended for later generations have now been already done or outclassed by Megas from earlier generations (such a process is only natural, however--hence the reason why some new Pokemon compete for niches with older ones). Analytic is an ability that has been used quite often before, namely in three cases: Dodrio, Hitmonchan, and Slowking. How would Mega Beheeyem with Analytic be different from these previous Megas and earn itself a separate niche?

Well, for starters, Beheeyem uses Analytic entirely differently from Dodrio and Hitmonchan. The latter two are not particularly slow; they use Analytic to discourage the foe from switching, as the switch-in would be hit 30% harder. Mega Beheeyem, with its base 35 Speed on the other hand, is intended to use it against all foes, whether the opponent switches or not. This it has in common with Mega Slowking. Slowking, however, is intended to be far bulkier; 95/90/130 bulk with Slack Off orients it torwards defensive offense, and its Water-typing gifts it with a whole plethora of different strengths, weaknesses, checks, and counters from Beheeyem's Steel-type (Fire resistance rather than weakness, Grass weakness instead of resistance, and so on). Beheeyem also takes a more offensive route; sure, 123 Special Defense is nice, but 75 base HP and 79 base Defense isn't nearly as good. While Slowbro can afford to set up a Calm Mind or two thanks to its bulk, Beheeyem is designed to be a more straightforward attacker; while Nasty Plot is a decent move for it, its low Speed, mediocre Defense, and lack of priority or healing (there's a reason why I didn't give it Bullet Punch) makes setting up a very bad idea until one is sure the opponent's physical attackers all have been taken down. To compensate for this, however, is its 150 Special Attack and virtually guaranteed Analytic. This means its moves will be hitting with off of an effective 195 Special Attack (or a respectable 156 Attack if one is so inclined); what Mega Slowking has in survivability and bulk Beheeyem trades in for brute force.

The neat thing about Analytic rather than just straight-up boosting Beheeyem's offenses is that it gives Beheeyem more flexibility during team-building. Had I just given it raw attack power, it could have easily become broken by switching on a resisted Special Attack and then setting up Trick Room; Analytic, however, discourages the use of Trick Room on a pure attacking Beheeyem set, as the boost would be lost if Beheeyem moves first (which, based on its Speed, it almost always will). On the other hand, 120/150 offenses are still solid on their own, so Beheeyem could forgo its Analytic boost in favor of Trick Room and a set-up move. While Beheyeem is indeed capable of frightening power, however, it is offset by the fact that this Pokemon needs quite a bit of team support. Trick Room Beheeyem would likely need other Trick Room users, for example--while it sounds easy enough, the likely fact is that the most desirable Trick Room users in this metagame--Dimensional Warp Reuniclus and Field Warp Xatu--are incompatible with Beheeyem thanks to its Mega status. While this Pokemon seems strong in this current metagame, it likely won't be so in a Mega-filled one; auto- and 8-turn Trick Room will be tough things to compete with, particularly since the former two Megas can support a variety of non-Mega Pokemon whereas Beeheyem would likely require the opposite (multiple non-Mega Pokemon to support a single Mega). Analytic Beeheyem has to deal with the fact that it is both slow and average in the physical defense department; virtually all priority moves are physical anyways (sorry Vacuum Wave), making this really a problem for Trick Room Beheeyem as well. Beheeyem can't function at its full capacity until all physical threats are eliminated, since staying in on a variety of common physical OU threats would likely spell doom for it. A lack of priority compounds it, giving it no options besides switching or taking a hit when faced with a faster (read: any) foe. Additionally, dedicated Special walls are more commonly used than Physical ones, thanks to the pink blobs, making 150 Special Attack a bit less threatening than a similar Attack stat. Finally, Steel is ultimately a mixed bag for Beheeyem; thanks to the Gen VI changes, it no longer gifts it with the two neutralities it most desparately wants--Dark and Ghost, which would have been even more useful in today's metagame had it gained them. A Fire-weakness also doesn't help, particularly with Talonflame and Heatran running around in OU. A Bug resistance, while nice, doesn't really come up too often. Poison immunity is a small bonus in that it is now immune to the status itself, but as a Psychic-type Beheeyem didn't have much problem with Poison-types in the first place. Perhaps the biggest gift the Steel-type gave to it was a resistance and super-effective STAB against Fairy-types, a niche that no current Mega Analytic user boasts; it certainly has its uses, considering how prominent the type is in the metagame.

Beheeyem distances itself from other Analytic users by actually being able to take advantage of it the majority of the time, while maintaining an offensive bias rather than a defensive one. A need for substantial team support and stiff competition with similar Pokemon keeps it from being overly centralizing, while a lack of decent physical bulk and HP in combination with its low Speed and lack of priority or healing limits its ability to shine without some skilled prediction and strategy. Still, its raw power and strategic potential when placed in the right hands is tantalizing, and certainly makes Mega Beheeyem worth consideration for the Mega spot of some potentially great teams.

Chandelure: GG Unit
Mega Chadelure
Type: Ghost/Fire -> Ghost/Fire
Ability: Flash Fire/Flame Body/Infiltrator -> Spirit Absorb (Heals 1/4th of max HP after a KO)
New Moves: N/A

HP: 60 -> 60
Atk: 55 -> 70 (+15)
Def: 90 -> 110 (+20)
SpA: 145 -> 190 (+45)
SpD: 90 -> 110 (+20)
Spe: 80 -> 80

Chandelure becomes more of a special tank, with some points in Attack to make sure it's not too overpowered. Despite Chandy's defenses, weaknesses to all entry hazards and common priority moves limit its survivability - that's where Spirit Absorb comes in. It's basically the exact opposite of Aftermath (-25% to opponent when you're KOed vs. +25% to you when you get a KO). Here's a great example of how it works:

252+ SpA Chandelure Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 344-406 (85.1 - 100.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 150-176 (57.4 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Chandelure is threatening a KO on some crucial member of your opponent's team. Chandy's taken a couple dings throughout the battle - maybe it came in on Stealth Rock and took a round of Toxic damage. Normally, your opponent would be able to death fodder something and revenge kill with Azumarrill's Aqua Jet, but Spirit Absorb pushes Mega Chandelure out of that range, allowing it to continue smacking things with that 190 Special Attack.

Haxorus: clapyourhands
Haxorus

Typing: Dragon -----> Dragon
Abilities: Rivalry / Mold Breaker / Unnerve -----> Valiant (Can hit Fairy-types [Scrappy/Corrosion clone])
BST: 76/147/90/60/70/97 -----> 76/162/120/90/80/112
Moves: Fire Punch

The return of Gen V Dragons... sort of. Let me explain.

So Haxorus partially bypasses the nerf to Dragon-types brought by Gen VI through its ability, which enables it to hit Fairy-types neutrally and restoring its reputation as a solid neutrally-hitting attacking type circa Gen V. Everything else about it more or less stays the same; it's still a pure-Dragon type, it's still a physical attacker, and it still is an armor-plated dragon with blades sticking out of its face.

Speaking of armor plating and blades, while this doesn't affect Mega Haxorus competitively, its Pokedex descriptions emphasizing its armor and valiance did. In my head, Mega Haxorus becomes a bit knight-like; not overtly so to the point where it gains a Steel-typing, but enough so that it becomes worthy of an ability with a name like "valiant".

Just like in Gen V, Haxorus has two main tools at its disposal to hit the majority of OU relatively hard: Dragon Dance and Outrage. While the former is still used often in OU, the latter has taken a huge hit from the last generation, thanks to the fact that Fairies are completely immune to the move. Haxorus gets around this via its ability, enabling it to use Outrage just as effectively as it did before (Steel-types are just as big of a problem, too). Fire Punch is a small buff that helps it muscle through Steel-types, though Outrage will deal more against anything else weak to Fire thanks to the STAB boost. Its Attack stat is buffed by 15 points, which while nice, doesn't quite compensate for the loss of an item. A Defense boost to 120 and a Speed boost past the critical base 100, however, compensate for this, making Haxorus's weaker initial power a smaller problem when it can both boost and cause switches more easily. Haxorus becomes a Dragon that, against all odds, has the ability to become a Fairy slayer; Outrage cleanly 2HKO's a max defense Clefable, for perspective.

Just as Haxorus has all the benefits of a Gen V Dragon, however, it also has all of the weaknesses. Primarily, Steel still walls Haxorus just as well as it does other Dragons. Fire Punch helps a bit, but 75 BP without STAB is unlikely to take down Steels that haven't already been previously weakened, particularly since many OU Steels are stronger in physical Defense. Additionally, while it can hit Fairy-types for neutral damage, it still take super-effective damage from Fairy-type attacks. Haxorus will still despise a Moonblast just as much as any other Dragon-type (besides Hydreigon, but you get my point). Take that 2HKO I mentioned earlier on Clefable; while Haxorus can indeed take the Fairy-type down in two Outrages, a Clefable with some investment can also OHKO Haxorus with a Moonblast. It may not be able to switch in on Outrage like it can most Dragons, but it can certainly make short work of Haxorus with some careful prediction. Finally, while often overlooked, confusion is not the best thing to be stuck with when your Pokemon has Dragon Dance boosts stacked up. Since Mega Haxorus will be holding Haxorusite, a Lum Berry isn't an option for it to cure its status (or avoid burns, for that matter). This means the player will be forced to take a chance with confusion or switch and lose their boosts once Outrage ends. However, this isn't to say that Haxorus has too many drawbacks to use, by any means--other than the Fairy-weakness, these are all problems Dragons have faced since Gen IV, and ones that they have been able to overcome to dominate the metagames of both generations. Mega Haxorus gives the Gen VI metagame a taste of what a substantial threat the type can be when blessed with a few of the perks it had in previous years.

Mega Haxorus makes use of its ability to turn Fairy-type counters into simply checks; it makes the time-tested combination of Dragon Dance and Outrage once again viable, even in a metagame filled with Fairy-types. In short, Mega Haxorus shifts a time-tested Pokemon archetype from past generations and adapts it to the new generation, bringing about the return of the dragon.

Beartic: The Pizza Man (Click my avatar)
Mega Beartic
Typing: Ice --> Ice/Fighting
Ability: Snow Cloak/Swift Swim --> Winter Shield (Immune to Increased priority moves)
Stats: 95/110/80/70/80/50 --> 95/145/95/90/95/85
New Moves: Drain Punch

Mega Beartic is a bulky attackerr first and foremost. Its new typing gives it a stealth rock neutrality and a nice resistance to Dark. Its got a nice ability in Winter Sheild which lets it take on Talonflame to a certain degree with its Super Effective Aqua Jet. It can heal itself with its Drain Punch and it can do a really nice amount of damage with Superpower. Icicle Crash lets it attack and deal a good amount of damage to most Dragon Types. Its got a somewhat good speed tier too, being able to do things such as outspeed Adamant Excadrill and hit it with a SE move.

This post starts the submission period for Cryogonal, Accelgor, Stunfisk, and Mienshao

Congrats all! I especially like Valiant Haxorus. I'm really excited about this slate, particularly the first two:
Mega Cryogonal
Type: Ice -> Ice
Ability: Levitate -> Inversion (type effectiveness of moves used against Cryogonal is reversed)
New Moves: None

HP: 70 -> 70
Atk: 50 -> 50 (+0)
Def: 30 -> 85 (+55)
SpA: 95 -> 110 (+15)
SpD: 135 -> 150 (+15)
Spe: 105 -> 120 (+15)

Flavor Concept: Cryogonal gains a third dimension and is now a complex prism! With a mustache!

Competitive Concept: For years I’ve wanted this. Since before Inverse Battles existed. Since before Cryogonal existed. Since before the Physical/Special split existed, I wanted an Ice/Normal pokemon with an ability that flipped weaknesses and resistances.

I didn’t give Cryo a Normal type, but I did give it a new life in Inversion. As it turns out, Mono-Ice is pretty amazing defensive typing when the chart’s reversed: Cryogonal trades an immunity to Ground and a resistance to Ice for a single weakness to Ice and a resistance to Fire, Fighting, Rock, and Steel. This Rapid Spinner may be hit by grounded hazards now, but it suddenly resists Stealth Rock. Add that to a much-improved defense stat and a nice little boost to its already-superb Special Defense, and we’ve got ourselves a tank.

But wait, there’s more! On top of utility like Rapid Spin, Recover, Haze, Screens, Magic Coat, and Knock Off, our special little snowflake retains a magnificent offensive boon in Freeze Dry. Ice Beam hits harder in general, but with Freeze Dry, you not only get STAB against Water types, but hit threats like Quagsire, Kingdra, and Gyarados x4. Odd as it may sound, it may be worth your time to fit both on any offensive Cryos out there, particularly as the rest of its coverage consists of Flash Cannon, Signal Beam (which only hits harder than Ice Beam if the foe resists Ice or is quad-weak to Bug), and, erm, Solar Beam and Hyper Beam.

Mega Accelgor
Type: Bug -> Bug/Poison
Ability: Hydration/Sticky Hold/Unburden -> Stance Change
New Moves: King's Shield

Shield Mode (default upon Mevolving, switching in, and after using King's Shield)

HP: 85 -> 85
Atk: 70 -> 70 (+0)
Def: 40 -> 140 (+100)
SpA: 100 -> 70 (-30)
SpD: 60 -> 140 (+80)
Spe: 145 -> 95 (-50)

Attack Mode (activates upon, well, attacking)

HP: 85 -> 85
Atk: 70 -> 140 (+70)
Def: 40 -> 70 (+30)
SpA: 100 -> 140 (+40)
SpD: 60 -> 70 (+10)
Spe: 145 -> 95 (-50)

Flavor Concept: Recalling its lost youth as an armored, puckering blob, Accelgor decides to grab a steel shield.

Competitive Concept: Lordy mercy, what a change (those who recall my Escavalier know I like to play around with the bug twins' weird evolution concept). Thanks to its better HP stat, Shield Form Accelgor is actually bulkier than Shield Form Aegislash, albeit with worse typing; still, the addition of Poison gives Accelgor some wonderful new resists to play with.

Despite Accelgor's limited offensive movepool (its only moves with more than 80 BP are Bug Buzz, Sludge Bomb (now with STAB), Focus Miss, Energy Ball, Double Edge and lol Hyper Beam/Giga Impact), it has some wonderful tricks up its sleeve. U-turn, for instance, makes it a magnificent pivot, entering with great defenses and attacking with STAB on a 140 base attack before fleeing. Knock Off is always fun utility, and Accelgor can be a real stinker with Infestation, Encore, and Toxic up its sleeve (not to mention Gastro Acid, which possibly has some use in this meta of ability-dependent megas).

Finally, unlike Aegislash, Accelgor has the means to heal itself, both through Giga Drain for offense, and with Recover. Didn't know Accelgor got Recover? Well why would you, it has 85/40/60 defenses! With Recover and King's Shield, alongside the aforementioned potency of Infestation, Encore, and Toxic, Mega Accelgor can run some serious stall, aided by its not-too-shabby speed of 95.

Which brings us to Accelgor's weakness: while the shield weighs it down from its former glory at 145, 95 speed is still pretty quick, meaning that plenty of pokemon will be attacking after Accelgor to hit its Attack Mode's paltry 85/70/70 bulk (which, to be fair, are still better than standard Accelgor's miserable defenses). Mega Accelgor has to be played with care, but considering how many roles it can play, and the general speed creep of the meta, it can still yield major dividends. Or you could just run Curse to keep its speed down and gain Defense at the same time (beware, though, Accelgor's physical movepool is nothing to write home about).

I'm really excited about the process of Escavalier and Accelgor's megas both reflecting their unique evolutionary journeys as they gain and lose their armor. Here are two simple sample sets (simple with no EVs):

Hazards Support
-Spikes
-Recover
-Encore/Gastro Acid/Toxic
-U-turn

With this set, Accelgor stays in Shield form while setting up hazards, healing itself, and messing with the opponent with Encore or Gastro Acid before U-turning for impressive damage.

Mixed Pivot
-
Acid Spray/Sludge Bomb
-Bug Buzz
-King's Shield/Knock Off
-U-turn/Knock Off

Against faster foes, Accelgor can attack with its dual STAB and defend itself with King's Shield. If we make room for Knock Off, Accelgor gains both utility and a coverage attack against the Ghosts and Steels that resist both STABs. Acid Spray is particularly useful for the whole team, weakening an opponent before U-turning into a mon that takes advantage of the -2 Special Defense or the likely switch.

(Also, just to address coding concerns: considering an entire other petmod is being made to give every mon Stance Change, I severely doubt this will be difficult to code; if so, we can ask one of those folks to do it. I made sure to not try any fancy business with Stance Change here, it works precisely as Aegislash's does, down to the exact same move used to switch stances. A previous attempt to give Darmanitan Stance Change was problematic not because of Stance Change itself, but because of the complication of its stance changing depending on whether its attack was Physical or Special.)

Mega Stunfisk
Type: Ground/Electric-> Ground/Electric
Ability: Static/Limber/Sand Veil -> Storm Drain
New Moves: Recover

HP: 109 -> 109
Atk: 66 -> 76 (+10)
Def: 84 -> 114 (+30)
SpA: 81 -> 111 (+30)
SpD: 99 -> 129 (+30)
Spe: 32 -> 32 (+0)

Flavor Concept: Stunfisk inflates! Now it's derpy and tubby all at once!

Competitive Concept: Dopefish really likes its new 109/114/129 bulk, but the kicker is its odd typing: Stunfisk is immune to Electric and has a very handy resistance to the omnipresent Flying. Resisting Poison and Steel, and hitting them back hard with Ground STAB if they're grounded or Electric STAB if they're Skarmory or Crobat, makes it a wonderful ally to Fairies everywhere. And, as a bonus, a Rock resist is always helpful on the switch.

I was really considering Arena Trap for added utility, but Storm Drain's transformation of a Water weakness into a strength, in a way that makes perfect sense with flavor, was too much to pass up. The special attack boost from Water moves also imrpoves its great utility STAB Discharge to spread Paralysis and Scald to spread Burn, as well as more powerful choices like STAB Thunderbolt, STAB Earth Power, Surf, and Sludge Bomb/Wave. Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, Toxic, and the new addition Recover add to Stunfisks's usefulness, and generally make it into an excellent addition to any team that hates fairies and BirdSpam.

Mega Meinshao
Type: Fighting-> Fighting
Ability: Inner Focus/Regenerator/Reckless-> Winter Shield (User is immune to increased-priority moves (current users: Glaceon, Beartic); we can either change this fan ability's name, or note that Mienshao is based off Eastern monks that regularly survive harsh mountain winters)
New Moves: Nope!

HP: 65 -> 65
Atk: 125 -> 135 (+10)
Def: 60 -> 70 (+10)
SpA: 95 -> 135 (+40)
SpD: 60 -> 70 (+10)
Spe: 105 -> 135 (+30)

Flavor Concept: Meinshao gets an orange Shaolin robe to keep warm.

Competitive Concept: Even if we add 50 to both of Meinshao's defenses, there's simply no way it can go far in a meta with Gale Wings Talonflame and Quick Attack Mega Pinsir. Sure, we could give Meinshao Extremespeed, but then regular Meinshao would have it as well, eliminating the whole point of this meta making megas the improvements.

The solution? No more priority attacks. Meinshao's blistering 135 speed leaves Talonflame and Pinsir in the dust, and after mountain training grants it a Winter Shield, their precious priority attacks are meaningless (with the unfortunate exception of Feint, should Pinsir choose to run it; still, this means that Pinsir is forced into a slightly less powerful move for your other mon to deal with). Meinshao's increased power with Reckless or survivability with Regenerator is sarificed, but in exhange, you'll have a heck of a time revenge killing this monster.

But doesn't this make our monk ermine OP? Not with this BST. 135 Attack is mighty for sure, but hardly impossible to overcome in this meta full of powerhouse defenders, and its own bulk still pitiful. Its most powerful move is still the unreliable High Jump Kick, and without Regenerator at its side, all it takes is Protect, a smart switch to a ghost, or simple bad luck to make Meinshao destroy itself. Rock Slide and Stone Miss for much-needed Flying coverage are similarly shoddy, the former unless the opponent is super weak to Rock, and the latter for its horrible accuracy.

Mienshao's new Special Attack of 135 makes for a wonderfully powerful Aura Sphere, Grass Knot, and Hidden Power, but there's not much else to do with this buffed stat. Any mon with more than 135 speed (of which there are many in this new meta) and halfway-decent offensive stats is a death sentence. Meinshao's susceptible to burns, paralysis, and Sticky Web, all of which are crippling. Finally, while it has access to Swords Dance, Meinshao has no way to boost its own speed, meaning it can't in any scenario outstrip every non-Feinting mon in the game and become impossible to revenge kill.

Still, despite its many flaws, Mega Mienshao is certainly worth the risk, thanks to its combination of power, speed, and immunity to priority.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)