garage (NOT the clothing company[also not the car hole])

let's talk about garage music ok. if you're really into dad music like zeppelin or something maybe you'll find some solace in some of these tunes. it's a really wide 'genre' and i guess you could apply it to almost all the recent lo-fi scuzz coming out but i guess i'm more into the straight ahead rock n roll aspect of it. also i know some of you will probably lambaste me for not mentioning iggy and other seminal garage acts but im keeping it newschool i guess

THE ALMIGHTY DEFENDERS

ALL MY LOVING

i'm normally not the biggest fan of the black lips, but them and king khan hanging out in berlin crafting gospelly, doo-woppy aural ataraxia is something i am backing hard

NOBUNNY

I AM A GIRLFRIEND

the riff at 0:50 is catchy enough to make you rub up against a fat person. kind of sounds like hunx here but this song is marginally less gay so it's cool. if you don't want to shimmy around to this you're probably anhedonic

MESS ME UP

seeing nobunny live is an unearthly experience. he is clad like a future-shaman, adorned with a grimy rabbit pelt and colourful american apparel underpants, as though he was unwillingly thrust into what is now the present but is doing his best with his new destiny

INDIAN WARS

IF YOU WANT ME

super lo-fi but DON'T mention wavves you idiot. these guys are from vancouver and they know how to have a good time. imagine a SUPER pretty girl across the room and this song just starts up and a guitar falls into your hands somehow??? she never stood a chance

JUST CAN'T GET ALONG WITH YOU

rockabilly in a glorious, cute-version-of-the-meteors kinda way, but fewer pompadours are involved i hope. kind of sounds like what it feels like to hit the spittoon dead-on with your chew

KING KHAN

this montreal menace is probably best known as the dude who stuck his ass in lindsay lohan's face at cannes

but he's also been keeping rock and roll going for a decade and a half, and also he's doing a collab with the gza in the future so that's a Thing. been keeping it real since the spaceshits.

THE KING KHAN & BBQ SHOW - WADDLIN' AROUND

this is without a doubt one of the more soulful albums in recent years. it's a shame him and bbq got into that big ole kerfuffle at the sydney opera house. this song makes me think of when the world was younger and i was unborn and girls were virgins and every dude knew how to tie a tie

THE KING KHAN & BBQ SHOW - BIMBO'S THEME

clearly i have an affinity for dudes yelling 'baby' a lot, probably because it's super romantic and also cause true hella dudes need to take back the word from justin bieber. 2:52 just gets soooo gooooood oh my god, can you even imagine the kind of girl he's singing about? she's probably got a sonics stick n poke

JAY REATARD

rest in peace booboo...

DEATH IS FORMING

i've never been that into jay reatard but i'm aware of his 'contributions' or something. 'cocaine toxicity' is a cool way to die i guess but what's really cool is singing the song's title as fast as you can over and over.

LE FACE

man their best song isn't on youtube urgH

ISOLATION

i discovered this album super late but it's aggressive and terrifying in a way that normally only quadrupedal things are

SALVADOR DALI

ok its not youtube but it'll have to do, this is their best track. it's like mark mothersbaugh suddenly got sick of making music for crash bandicoot games and got reallllly mad about shit

XRAY EYEBALLS

i've talked about these guys before but they've stood the test of time (that being like six months for me usually), and something about a bunch of goths and an asian making spooky surf just gets my motor running

NIGHTWALKERS

there's something almost elegiac about this track. it's a lulling call from the afterlife, half threat and half promise, maybe there's even a hug at the end of the tunnel. clearly cali-fresh.

If You Want To Talk About Garage Poast Away! !

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
glen this was probably next on my list of threads to make. probably.

at any rate, international noise conspiracy, check out the track smash it up: will update with more later!! probably.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
glen where the fuck do you even find these artists

i would comment on how ridiculously indie/hipster you are, but that would probably be too "mainstream" for you to get

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
hm, do the pixies count as garage? because i really like the pixies. surfer rosa (my favorite) has a kind of lo-fi feel to it, really noticeable in songs like Something Against You. they just have such a raw feel with nonsense lyrics and awesome music. even if they don't count in this thread check them out if you havent already!

FRANZ FERDINAND

EVIL AND A HEATHEN

it doesnt get much more frantic than this. 2 minutes of energy that goes left and right and left again, like a drunk and agonizing madman with a bounty hunter on his track, desperate and willing to do just about anything to get this last, orgassssmiccc sip of tabasco tequila (whis is to say, life

come off it man, i like dad music. my friend did the intro vocals for battle of evermore. not really. he says it all the time and i think it's funny because he thinks it's funny.

i'll plug my friend's band, dads. here's their song invisible blouse. listen to it! i feel like it's garage-y enough... or dad enough....

i'm not sure what else to post though. i don't really have a working definition for 'garage rock.' straight up rock with low production values? or simply rock that's off the mainstream? dirty rock? anti-rock rock a la pussy galore? do garage purists only listen to music actually recorded in a garage? can you make an experimental pop topic? do you have a garage? can't i just mention siouxsie and the banshees who are quietly one of my favorite bands? answer me....

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Kim Deal is rolling in her grave somewhere.

if she was dead she would be in any case

Resurrecting this thread because I need some good new jams to listen to. Also, I miss Glen posting music. My garage taste is mostly old (Sonics, Modern Lovers, etc.), but I'll try to be new-ish~

Hot Boogie Chillun

I was recently rummaging through my old CDs from high school and found Sweets. Garage enthusiasts with a bit of a rockabilly twang (think BOOM meets Fire of Love), I've been digging this album lately. Even songs like "Fuckin' Sweet" that lean more towards psychobilly are fun tracks. When given the option, always choose a song with xylophone to start off with:

"Talking 'Bout You"

In true garage fashion, half the songs on the album are covers. They definitely have good taste however, with cool renditions of The Sonics's "Dirty Old Man" and The Wailers' "Dirty Robber" making appearances. Gotta go with this fun Richard Berry classic, though.

"Have Love, Will Travel"

Is 80s considered newschool enough? Garage is from the 60s, so I'm gonna assume it is. I don't really know that many current bands :x

Human Switchboard

Half-post-punk, half-garage, I'll count it. Can't hype this band enough; they're easily one of my favorites. Who's Landing in My Hangar? is a fantastic album, though pick up their anthology from a couple years ago if you can find it. It has all of WLiMH? along with tons of bonus tracks.

"No Heart"

"Who's Landing in My Hangar?"

Really any song off of WLiMH? is pretty much perfect, so I just grabbed two at random. Gotta love it ^.^

Lyres

Fun Boston garage revivalists that are heavily indepted to the classic style. They've been around since '79, pumping out albums throughout the 80s and 90s. I've only recently started listening to them, but so far, I've been digging what I've heard. On Fyre is a chill album that I've had on pretty heavy rotation lately. Dunno what else to say; they're pretty cool dudes~

"Don't Give It Up Now"

"In Motion"

So what garage bands have you all been jamming to lately?

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's just Pixies. Not the Pixies

Source: all their album artwork -- I've seen them live and they called themselves Pixies, without "the"

EDIT:

Their album, "Death to the Pixies," is supposed to be funny because they are not the Pixies they are Pixies.

EDIT 2:

It's like saying the Monsters of Men, or the Franz Ferdinand

Why would it matter if it were Pixies or The Pixies? Can you tell me one material way in which this will affect your happiness in listening to The Pixies, discussing The Pixies, or thinking about The Pixies? The only thing it seems like it could affect is the ability to pretend one person loves a band more than another.

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
the irony of captkirby calling out pedantry.

also franz ferdinand is considered garage now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)