Name Brand Clothing

I have noticed that one of the biggest divisive factors in friendship seems to be the clothing one chooses to wear. Some people think you must wear expensive name brand clothing, such as Abercrombie or Polo, to be considered "good" enough to associate with them. Conversely, some people hate you for spending extra money on such clothing.

Basically I present two questions in this topic-
1. Are clothes really that important?
2. Why can't people look past what someone is wearing before they stereotype and judge them?

Well, to me, clothes are important. Appearances are how people judge when they meet for the first time, so being well-dressed is very important. Conversely, spending too much money is never good; I genuinely laugh at the people who regularly shop at Urban Outfitters (although I like a lot of their stuff...).

My most expensive pair of jeans is probably one pair of Diesel jeans. I didn't pay for them, though, so I don't feel bad having them.

I'm the kind of person that's always in the shopping district (in my case, Walnut St). I can spend waaay too much money just popping into H&M ;;>_> The last time I was in there, however, I only spent $50 on a pair of jeans and a hoodie.

I've always tried to wear expensive clothes. Abercrombie, Hollister, Polo, Banana Republic and etc. I just like to look good, and I feel that if someone likes the way they are dressed they are much happier in life. I guess I've always been attracted to the expensive things since my older brother wore the same clothes, and just grew up with it. I know people always see my as a stuck up prep, but they never get to know me. They always see me with other preps or jocks and think I don't give a flip about anything else. Though most of that was just high school drama, college is so much different.

norulz

excellent
I'm not too picky on the clothes I wear, but here it goes. Clothes aren't very important to me, but I guess they weight in a relationship.

Pull and Bear is a pretty cool shop to buy clothes at not too high prices, I have a couple of t-shirts, denim jeans and other stuff I purchased there, Zara is also where I do most of my shopping. For sport clothes I go to Sport Zone, though they're a bit pricy.

I live in near Norte Shopping (this really huge mega-mall) so I don't have to move too much to get my clothes.

I understand MystiKal, I hate it when people see someone in a certain attire and immediately think they fall into a specific stereotype. That's probably the feeling I was trying to convey in this topic. I wish people could look past clothes and really get to know someone before judging them on something as trivial as outward appearance.

It's kind of funny because in middle school, the "skaters" and and other groups that would isolate themselves, mostly by heritage (spanish, african-american) would make fun of my friends and i for wearing what we did, american eagle, armani, polo ralph lauren, abercrombie, diesel. Now in high school you see those same kids running around with brand new hollister shirts every week while they are skateboarding.

I like to go and spend my occassional 100 bucks on a couple of shirts and some shorts or whatever every once in a while, but thats because i hate the feeling that i consistently wear the same clothes over and over again. Although that might not be the case, sometimes i feel like it is. To answer the questions in the first post, do i believe clothes are really that important, yes and no. They help me make a good first impression, i mean I'd rather go to a party and meet some people while wearing a new hollister polo and some nice new clean nike's rather than a worn out shirt thats already been worn like 5 times, it just makes me feel better. As for the second question, i don't know what to tell you. I am from guatemala and have always hung out with the "preps" or in my schools case the "italians" since we are so rich in italian heritage. Hell, i act more italian than i do spanish, and simply because i wore hollister or armani i was stereotyped as a rich little stuck up kid.

It's kind of funny because in middle school, the "skaters" and and other groups that would isolate themselves, mostly by heritage (spanish, african-american) would make fun of my friends and i for wearing what we did, american eagle, armani, polo ralph lauren, abercrombie, diesel. Now in high school you see those same kids running around with brand new hollister shirts every week while they are skateboarding.

I like to go and spend my occassional 100 bucks on a couple of shirts and some shorts or whatever every once in a while, but thats because i hate the feeling that i consistently wear the same clothes over and over again. Although that might not be the case, sometimes i feel like it is. To answer the questions in the first post, do i believe clothes are really that important, yes and no. They help me make a good first impression, i mean I'd rather go to a party and meet some people while wearing a new hollister polo and some nice new clean nike's rather than a worn out shirt thats already been worn like 5 times, it just makes me feel better. As for the second question, i don't know what to tell you. I am from guatemala and have always hung out with the "preps" or in my schools case the "italians" since we are so rich in italian heritage. Hell, i act more italian than i do spanish, and simply because i wore hollister or armani i was stereotyped as a rich little stuck up kid.
I skateboard, and I wouldn't be caught dead in a Hollister/Abercrombie/AE/Other dumb brand article of clothing.

I really hate how people care so much about the word on the tag of the jeans that they are willing to pay 60$+ for them, when you could find jeans of the same fit and look for like...15-30.

I find it ridiculous.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I try to not wear "prep clothing" (and you know what I mean, overpriced shit). Most of my clothing is from shit I geniunely like or from events I've attended, which is why I tend to never get rid of clothes even though some of the shit I wear is at least 5 years old. Examples: my 1988 Slayer shirt, my UK Trumpet Day shirt, etc...

I really have no "style" with clothing. I wear what I want, and my friends are cool with it. Though I will admit I like wearing shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear :P

Lots of people wear brand name clothing at my school. Do I want to wear that stuff? Yes. Do I need to wear that stuff? No. Do I care if I wear it or not? No. Basically, I'll wear brand names when I get the chance, but I'm fine with the $10 shirt from K-Mart. The closest brand name store to my house is Razorback in Narellan. I like to enter there and browse. Right now I'm saving for a pair of DC Shoes and an Element backpack. Of course, there's nothing wrong with my Coke bag or my no-name joggers, but it feels good to wear new, brand name clothing.

Clothes are totally unimportant for me and most of the people I know. I don't really care what strangers think of me and I wear anything I feel comfortable in. I spend most of my time in shorts too!!!

in the way that people wear certain clothes to say "i shop at _insert affluent store_ here"
the clothes i wear, or specifically, choose not to wear, would be to say "i don't shop at..." i mean, for example, if i dont respect payless shoes, then i wouldnt respect myself if i wore payless shoes shoes...
am i a materialist bastard? i hope not, just a bit insecure, but im still olrite

Definitely not the same kids, for the record, though it's likely enough the ones laughing at you were equally stupid.

Personally, I buy all my clothes from thrift stores (unless I get a T-shirt for something I like, like a band or whatever), and if they still have brand logos on them, regardless of how trendy or expensive the brand is, I rip them off. I do agree with what some people here have said in that paying a lot of money just to be wearing a brand name is stupid, but what I find even worse is paying money to walk around advertising someone's brand for them. Capitalism makes my stomach turn.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't care for brand names, I buy what looks good whether or not it has a logo on. To me, they actually detract from the overall aesthetic value. I'm perfectly happy buying a £2 t-shirt from H&M and customising it or whatever.

I'm trying to get my hands on a reasonably-priced Mao suit, since I figure that if everyone wears branded clothing it defeats the purpose of having expensive clothing that not many can have. Even if I missed the point of branded clothing, the fact is that it doesn't make someone any less ugly, but a Mao suit complements my ugliness.

I don't like name brand clothing... The price you're paying is for the brand and not the item anyway. I can pretty much guarantee you that my cheap t-shirts will last longer than any $100 shirt.

I do agree with what some people here have said in that paying a lot of money just to be wearing a brand name is stupid, but what I find even worse is paying money to walk around advertising someone's brand for them. Capitalism makes my stomach turn.
Another reason why I hate brand name clothing.

I'm happy with just wearing the same clothes over and over again. Hell I've worn the same pair of pants every day for the past year now.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I think you'll all change your minds about buying expensive clothing when you are my age. I used to think the same way ("I don't give a shit what the brand name is, it's expensive"). But I work at a law firm now, and clothing does equal status here. I've been tutored in clothing by one of the secretaries since I started, so far that she even let me borrow a book she has that was written entirely about how a professional man should dress and how your outfit directly influences what people think of you.

I am currently wearing a $60 shirt and $90 slacks. Can I afford it? Barely, with the new job. Is it worth it? Without a doubt. The first day I wore this specific outfit, I was compliment at least 5 different times throughout the day that I looked "more handsome than usual," or something to that effect.

I skateboard, and I wouldn't be caught dead in a Hollister/Abercrombie/AE/Other dumb brand article of clothing.

I really hate how people care so much about the word on the tag of the jeans that they are willing to pay 60$+ for them, when you could find jeans of the same fit and look for like...15-30.

I find it ridiculous.
Actually, I tend to buy (well my sister buys them for me since she works at the store) $250-300+ jeans.

Comparing expensive jeans to "jeans of the same fit" is like comparing a snowboard a first timer uses and one an Olympic gold medalist uses. There's a huge gap in quality and the way they look. Of course the comparison is a bit 'out there' (fashion v.s competition) but you get the idea.

Personally, I don't care what other people wear (unless, say I'm going to be dating the person) as long as it's clean and not dumb as fuck (I'm with stupid lulz).

I love brand names =) they're comfortable like nothing else. I tend to ignore anyone dumb enough to group me in a social clique because of what I wear anyways, so that's not a problem.

Wow, what kind of friends are you hanging out with? I don't think anyone I know has ever judged me by the clothes that I wear, and if anyone has, they haven't told me about it. I generally tend to avoid people that I see as being materialistic like that anyway, so I guess I wouldn't hear about it.

About the only comments I get about my clothes come when I'm wearing a particularly badass shirt and someone says "nice shirt" to me. Or when my friends joke about my $10 Walmart shoes that I've been wearing for about 2 years, and are really worn out and ripped, but I still wear them because they're really comfortable.

On the other hand, I do try to be relatively well dressed when I go in to work, but apart from that, I don't see anywhere where wearing expensive clothing would be better. I go for comfort, and then low cost, so I don't think I have any brand name clothing at all...

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
In most situations, yeah, I don't care. Most of my clothes come from thrift stores, lol.

That said, DM is right when it comes to work situations.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I think you'll all change your minds about buying expensive clothing when you are my age. I used to think the same way ("I don't give a shit what the brand name is, it's expensive"). But I work at a law firm now, and clothing does equal status here. I've been tutored in clothing by one of the secretaries since I started, so far that she even let me borrow a book she has that was written entirely about how a professional man should dress and how your outfit directly influences what people think of you.

I am currently wearing a $60 shirt and $90 slacks. Can I afford it? Barely, with the new job. Is it worth it? Without a doubt. The first day I wore this specific outfit, I was compliment at least 5 different times throughout the day that I looked "more handsome than usual," or something to that effect.
shit like that is different and you know it! Anyone who doesn't shell out for a good suit is dumb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)