Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that the cotton pokes (ampharos and altaria) go through puberty and start sprouting cotton hair like crazy when mega evolving???

Altaria will be interesing. A dragon immune to dragon type moves and resists to fighting, bug and dark. Weakness to poison and steel is annoying, but well see how it goes!

Tory

Banned deucer.
"Pokémon Contests. You also receive a shiny Beldum through an event, where it holds its Mega Stone"

I hope it is before the Elite Four. Please be before the Pokemon League.

Man, I hate that there is still no Mega Crobat. We go Got a Mega Heracross, Mega Ampharos, Mega Houndoom, but not for Crobat? Come on. It also bothers me weeks ago, people keep saying they will only have Mega 3rd gen Pokemon to have Mega evolution. People like that need to shut their mouth. Diancie & Lopunny got one and their not 3rd gen.

I like M-Salamence's design just because of the in-game lore around Bagon. He wanted to fly all his life, finally gained wings upon his last evolution, and now MEvoes into...a giant...paper plane...
And giving Salamence Aerialate doesn't seem like a benefit, it seems more like "oh we wanted to throw this out there cuz it's new and cool"

Lopunny's cool, but that MEvo felt kind of predictable. Looks a bit more kunoichi-esque...will have to expand on that later

I'm also rolling on the floor at how Altaria was going to get that secondary Fairy typing, one way or another. I'm just a little mad that they completely gave away the gimmick of being unable to see Altaria's body...that little cloud hat is the only thing keeping her from being stark naked now

SO! Tell me! What is the deal with this new contest coordinator who uses Altaria? Mostly what is she doing with WInona's sig Pokemon, but can Mega Evolution play a role in contests?!

Last edited:
Very interesting leaks, and at least Diancie isn't the only non-Hoenn Pokemon to be getting a new Mega Evolution for these games. Altaria now gives me a reason to breed it. (may have to grab a Dream Ball one for this...) Pikachu has now pretty much taken Rotom's gimmick of gaining a special move with each different form, though doesn't change its type like Rotom does in gen 5 onwards. But I'm still a bit curious about the black heart shape mark at the tip of its tail...

As for shiny Beldum, I'm thinking this is probably going to be the gift from Steven at Mossdeep after beating the Elite Four. Just now locked into being shiny and holding Metagrossite. Will likely have an Adamant nature and at least perfect IV's in Attack and one other stat, if Diantha's Ralts is anything to go by. Or it could just be my hope that this isn't another Speed Boost Torchic kind of deal where it's a Mystery Gift and the only way to get one's hands on the mega stone, as I'm unsure if I want to buy both games so I can have one I can reset and play again with different teams/challenges without losing the Metagrossite...

Some more information on the already revealed Mega Evolutions and perhaps the new moves for Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre would be nice. Maybe CoroCoro still has a few tidbits of info left to reveal this month? We'll see.

Mega Altaria looks like a giant Whimsicott, but Pixilate should be pretty nice on it considering the amount of sheer power it brings to the table. Dragon/Fairy is amazing, and something I've been looking forward to forever. Mega Lopunny, I'm not so sure what they were going for... Normal/Fighting is an interesting typing. Scrappy seems really gimmicky, but I guess its STABs have no immunities...? I also don't really like the design, but maybe it'll be another Mawile and become a god.
I may be mistaken, but wouldn't that grant Mega Lopunny full neutral coverage?

Event shiny Beldum holding a Mega Stone? Yes please! Let's hope it's like the Torchic event so we can wreck souls early game.
Wait, would it be holding the... METANITE?

((That joke isn't mine))

Jokes aside, I would scratch the idea of leveling it early game. Unlike Torchic, it takes forever to level up, evolves at relatively late levels, and it only has "take down" until it becomes Metang. The first problem won't be too bad if you have Exp. Share at that point or switch it out at the start of a battle, and neither will the last problem for the same reasons.

I really wanted altaria will get a mega evolution and es it happend!.
But-i wanted that altaria will be more pffensive, with such a good typing but as i look on its stats...
Speed:i think that because altaria is belong to the dragons who know dragon dance it will get a minimum boost of 20 points.
I think they will give like a 20 points to sp def and 15 to defence and we have more 45 points to give.
Her bph offenses are 70, which is very low, so i guess 20 for attack and 25 for special attack? I wished it would get an calm mind because beside dragon dance altaria is lack a move to boost its special attack, which is kind od sad.
Anyway it will be a very good wall, but i guess offenses isn't really be very good, decent but now awesome.

What would some good, competitive movesets for M-Altaria be?
That Drag/Fairy typing & pixilate, tho...
No one can really say until we know where the 100 new base points get added. I think many are hoping it gets a more defensive spread due to two things. 1) it's many impressive resistances 2) that fact that even if it's upgrades are primarily offensive it'll probably just end up being outclassed by other offensive Dragons and Megas. (we already have to Dragon Danceing Mega Dragons who will be dealing more damage even if they dump more than 50 of the 100 into Alteria's atk)

But assuming it gets a mostly defensive stat increase, Roost will be a staple and then you want some combination of support and one (or maybe 2) attacks. Some obvious picks for support are Heal bell, Perish Song, Sub, and Toxic then some other more niche things like Tailwind, Cotton Guard and Roar/Haze (which have some possible utility over Perish Song but all 3 have the same general affect). What attacks it should use will totally depend which offense gets the bigger boost or if it's essentially even. But attacks to keep your eye on are the best variants of each STAB so Hyper Voice/Dragon Pulse or Return/Dragon Claw. And if it gets a mostly offensive increases then you can consider possible Dragon Dance sets (that will likely be outclassed) and coverage moves like Earthquake (physical) or Flamethrower/Fire Blast (special) for coverage on Steels that resit you dual STAB. Alteria has a fairly reasonable Special move pool in addition to things I already listed. But until we know what it's mega stats look like we can't really say for certain what sets will be best.
SO! Tell me! What is the deal with this new contest coordinator who uses Altaria? Mostly what is she doing with WInona's sig Pokemon, but can Mega Evolution play a role in contests?!
I was wondering about this too, when I first saw the scan I was worried they gave Winona too much of a redesign. It makes me wonder if Winona will maintain Alteria as her main (hopefully she does) It will be cool if Megas play into contests!
Yes, it hits every type combination in the whole game neutrally between it's two STABs (and ability)

EDIT: and on the whole Salamance v Charizad X mega concerns I personally find it really unlikely either will outclass the other. they will just be alternatives with Pros and Cons between them. if anything Charizard X will still be a little better because will-o-wisp immunity and usage along with a typing that provides better STAB coverage and a "cleaner" list of weakness. But Mance will be BST 700 with very possibly more impressive power and speed to help make up for it's slightly not as good Typing.

Last edited:
And giving Salamence Aerialate doesn't seem like a benefit, it seems more like "oh we wanted to throw this out there cuz it's new and cool"
I don't think so. Dragon Dance + Aerilate Return = Win, even if it doesn't get an attack boost like Pinisir.

+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 192-226 (59.2 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 237-279 (56.4 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom: 156-183 (51.3 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm really hoping Mega Lopunny gets CC via some method (level-up, egg move, otherwise), I don't like relying on HJK at all and this is the main reason I don't like to use Blaziken in Gamefreak metas :/ Even the original HJK user Hitmonlee gets CC.

I'm really hoping Mega Lopunny gets CC via some method (level-up, egg move, otherwise), I don't like relying on HJK at all and this is the main reason I don't like to use Blaziken in Gamefreak metas :/ Even the original HJK user Hitmonlee gets CC.
It's not even HJK, it's just Jump Kick.

The confusion was caused by a mistranslation of the Japanese move names. See, in Japan High Jump Kick = Jump Kick English. Japan High Knee Kick(?) = High Jump Kick English.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Either way, I hope Lopunny gets access to reliable STAB. Low Kick is fine but only for select metas. CC is fairly realistic because it's widely distributed amongst its egg groups and there is precedent for adding new level-up and egg moves in the middle of a generation. I'm not sure if its aesthetic can be an indicator because some weird stuff gets it (like Arcanine) but it does have the fighting bunny girl thing going on. If it doesn't then I'm unfortunately going to pass on using Mega Lopunny.

The confusion was caused by a mistranslation of the Japanese move names. See, in Japan High Jump Kick = Jump Kick English. Japan High Knee Kick(?) = High Jump Kick English.
Dude, please check out this post and the one it links too as well. The Japanese text in the scans literally says Flying Knee Kick so I (and other people) are translating this properly. M-Loppuny is almost certainly getting High Jump Kick.

EDIT: and even if all that Japanese text wasn't there. Come On, it's a Pokemon that already knew Jump Kick and has now gained Fighting Type. It's just so obviously the move that will get added to its pool.

Last edited:

except that's wrong

jump kick is dropkick
high jump kick is jumping knee kick

go check serebii as well, they literally say "[Lopunny] now knows the move High Jump Kick."

Killua kun

Pkmn/HxH
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
3 brand new threat were announced, both for altaria Fairy/dragon that lopunny Normal/Fighting that will be great threat for their typing, lack of aegislash will be felt. Since altaria can count both on a physical and special movepole and will be hardly stopped, and lopunny with trait scrappy won't counter pokemon. With aerilate you can Salamance transform into a monster with dragon dance and return from his stab, while you can try a special set with dracometeor, Fblast/FThrower and HYPER BREAM

Do you guys think pikachu is the only one to get dressed up for contests? because GF never really made pikachu "privileged" Just for the fact that he is pikachu. (Aside from pokemon yellow)I dont think theyd do this just to pikachu. I mean, it never represented the pokemon contests anyways, lol

I think pikachu will only be dressed up like that for contest and for playthrough. Not for online battles

Do you guys think pikachu is the only one to get dressed up for contests? because GF never really made pikachu "privileged" Just for the fact that he is pikachu. (Aside from pokemon yellow)I dont think theyd do this just to pikachu. I mean, it never represented the pokemon contests anyways, lol

I think pikachu will only be dressed up like that for contest and for playthrough. Not for online battles
Other than Amie affects pretty much every battle mechanic present in single play is also present player v player. Since you can wear the costumes into battles in the general game I think it's REALLY likely you can wear them in online and local player v player battles too. They're basically just like forms... like Rotom. I imagine the mechanics for changing them is pretty much the same as Rotom as well.

Dude, please check out this post and the one it links too as well. The Japanese text in the scans literally says Flying Knee Kick so I (and other people) are translating this properly. M-Loppuny is almost certainly getting High Jump Kick.

EDIT: and even if all that Japanese text wasn't there. Come On, it's a Pokemon that already knew Jump Kick and has now gained Fighting Type. It's just so obviously the move that will get added to its pool.
My apologies. New info keeps flying around so fast that I can't keep up.

Other than Amie affects pretty much every battle mechanic present in single play is also present player v player. Since you can wear the costumes into battles in the general game I think it's REALLY likely you can wear them in online and local player v player battles too. They're basically just like forms... like Rotom. I imagine the mechanics for changing them is pretty much the same as Rotom as well.
But why PIKACHU man? In the games (Excluding Yellow, of course) they always treated pikachu like any other pokemon. This makes me think if other pokemon will get forms like these...

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
But why PIKACHU man? In the games (Excluding Yellow, of course) they always treated pikachu like any other pokemon. This makes me think if other pokemon will get forms like these...
It seems that they are taking the Pikachu privilege further than past gens...

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Wait, would it be holding the... METANITE?

((That joke isn't mine))

Jokes aside, I would scratch the idea of leveling it early game. Unlike Torchic, it takes forever to level up, evolves at relatively late levels, and it only has "take down" until it becomes Metang. The first problem won't be too bad if you have Exp. Share at that point or switch it out at the start of a battle, and neither will the last problem for the same reasons.
Don't forget that the event Torchic was a traded Pokemon, and thus got the exp multiplyer, so we can assume the same for the event Beldum. It would't take too long to evolve him to Metang (so probably by Dewford Town), where he'll get Confusion and Metal Claw then, and thus become a powerful teammate early on.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
In every generation, there would be Pikachu events, some of which with special moves (Fly, Petal Dance, Sing, Extremespeed, Teeter Dance, Surf). This is nothing new, and they've gone even more far this gen with Pikachu being the only pokémon to speak its name as its cry in XY.

~check your electric mouse privilege~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)