XY OU RMT - Working On OU Team

This team is based around Cofarigus and Slaking. The key objective is to pass Mummy from Cofagrigus to the opposing Pokemon and then get it onto Slaking to get rid of Truant, making Slaking much more useful.

Espeon (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Reflect

I usually start out with Espeon to set of Dual Screens of course. She also aids in taking out pesky pokemon such as Conkledurr, Lucario, and other OU fighting types. The Dual Screens greatly protects the rest of the team by basically boosting their already high or decent Defense/SP. Def stats.

Cofagrigus (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Pain Split

Cofagrigus is THE most important pokemon on the team and should be kept alive at all costs. Cofagrigus is used to get rid of pesky abilities that the opponent relies on with Mummy. Destiny Bond is used when your back's against the wall and there is a insane sweeper you can't handle with the rest of the team. Will-O-Wisp is there to lower the attack of the opposing Pokemon while taking health away and preventing KOs from Night Slash and Knock-Off, etc. Knock-Off is just there for a powerful attack knowing that 99% of Pokemon will be holding an item. Pain Split is there to keep Cofagrigus in the game and abusing the Mummy ability.

Slaking (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Truant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Facade
- Slack Off
- Brick Break

Slaking is the defensive sweeper of the team. I pull him out after successfully passing on Mummy to the opposing Pokemon and immediately start off with Pursuit just in case the opponent is switching out the Pokemon that has been giving the Mummy ability. Facade is there as a STAB move and is also the reason for the Toxic Orb. Slack-Off restores help in a pinch. (obviously). Brick Break is there to break through those screens that might be set up by the other team. Although it can be replaced with Bulk Up and the Toxic Orb would then be replaced with a Flame Orb.

Dragonite (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Roost

Dragonite is the Physical Sweeper of the team. Dragon Dance is there for the stat boost and can be used easily, especially while behind the Dual Screens provided by Espeon. The ridiculous speed is the clear advantage which can easily be used to its advantage with moves like Outrage. Outrage is its STAB move is prefer due to its massive power compared to Dragon Claw or Dragon Tail. (There aren't many physical Dragon moves to choose from.) Extreme Speed is used to get rid of possible faster pokemon and Roost to keep it in the game and also to make some use of its ability.

Gengar (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- Focus Blast

Gengar, the Special Sweeper is fast and pretty bulky when behind those Dual Screens. He is the Fairy killer of the team and can almost always be relied on in a pinch. He can take out Psychic types with Shadow Ball. Sludge Bomb almost OHKOs all Fairy types (Klefki is sometimes a problem) and Protect is used when switchig in to a possibly dangerous situation and also allows a small but maybe crucial HP gain from Black Sludge. Focus Blast gets rid of the pesky/annoying dark types that are using Knock-Off, etc.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 40 HP / 200 Def / 100 SpA / 168 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Soft-Boiled
- Earthquake

Chansey is the back-bone of the team. The Eviolite is used to boosts the Def. and SP. Def. and can allow it to be a tank when behind Dual Screens. It can be a great way to stall and heal the rest of the team in sticky situations. Wish helps do that. Protect is used to Protect it from Fighting types that then can be taken care of with Earthquake. Soft-Boiled allows Chansey to fully heal herself and stall when needed. Chansey can be really annoying by using Wish and then Soft-Boiled back to back.

I built this team knowing that the whole transferring Mummy is a risky and almost unreliable job but Slaking can still hold its own even w/o Mummy. Espeon seemed a little weak in the test runs and I would like to find and alternative to a Dual Screener. (Any suggestions would be extremely helpful) So far i like the team, my record in 10-6. Any opinions, constructive criticism, or improvements are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Mummy+Pursuit interests me! But let me criticize your Slaking...
It's true that Facade, in terms of Power, due to STAB, is its strongest move and it looks like it compensates for the low BP of its other moves, but imo using the Toxic Orb for that and opting for Brick Break to stop Screens are two different courses of action and neither helps this Slaking perform.

I'd suggest..
Slaking @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Giga Impact
- Slack Off
- Hammer Arm

I've chosen Giga Impact for situations where Slaking cannot be switched in for Mummy. If you were able to switch in Slaking for Mummy, you might be fine with Fighting and Dark coverage (I'd alter Hammer Arm based on the team's needs - it would have to be for a specific wall).
The Toxic Orb causes you to lose 18.75% of your HP after two turns, but the Life Orb causes you to use 20% and after that the dmg from Toxic Orb becomes too great. The power raise from Brick Break to Hammer Arm and the Life Orb is a great trade off for not being able to break screens. Slaking's stats are being put to use now - it can Slack Off to stall screens and threaten with Attacks in more situations. Moreover you can Slack Off without having Toxic Poison speed up.

100 SpA on Chansey? You mean Atk right?
Nonetheless, how about Mud Bomb? Despite Chansey actually having a Special Attack stat, Mud Bomb's average power can be lower against certain 252 HP / 252 SpDef Pokemon but the accuracy effect and hitting non-Special Walls more than compensates for that, I postulate.

You're using a Modest Gengar - after the Base Speed of 100, almost everyone and virtually every single skilled player uses a Speed boosting nature. When dealing fast and frail sweepers, Pokemon are always trying to get in front of each other. And so, I'll recommend a Timid Gengar to fight any Pokemon with close Speed that you can imagine;
Latios, Latias, opposing Gengar, Garchomp, Keldeo, Terrakion

Hmmm... I like what you did with Slaking, I'll have to try that out. But why would I put EVs into Chansey's Atk? Her base atk is 5 compared to her higher base SpA of 35.

Well, if you are using EQ, you don't have any reason to put evs in the SpA. And for dual screen, what about klefki? Prankster, thunder wave, fouls play

Definitely, but I only went with any Atk EVs because just in case you actually had...
Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 40 HP / 200 Def / *100 SpA* / 168 SpD
...THOSE SpA EVs on Chansey halfway-intentionally. Chansey has no Special moves, so why are they there? I thought you meant to put EVs into Attack so that Chansey for the crazy-sounding plan of using Chansey to Stall out non Sacred Sword Aegislash (you can't hit it with Seismic Toss, so I dismissed that suggestion).

If I didn't trust you did that for Aegislash, I would've said to use more standard moves - Seismic Toss and those 90 Power "elemental" special moves.

If you get to post again, were 100 SpA EVs an accident? :P

EDIT: I previously forgot to make clear that the Lum Berry prevents a Burn to compensate for Toxic Orb preventing a Burn.

Espeon (F) @ Light Clay

Ability: Magic Bounce

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Baton Pass

- Light Screen

- Psychic

- Reflect

Cofagrigus (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Mummy

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Impish Nature

- Destiny Bond

- Will-O-Wisp

- Knock Off

- Pain Split

Slaking(F) @ Life Orb

Jolly Nature

- Pursuit

- Giga Impact

- Slack Off

- Hammer Arm

Dragonite(F) @ Life Orb

Ability: Multiscale

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Outrage

- Extreme Speed

- Roost

Gengar(F) @ Black Sludge

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Shadow Ball

- Sludge Bomb

- Protect

- Focus Blast

Chansey@ Eviolite

EVs: 40 HP / 200 Def / 100 Atk / 168 SpD

Bold Nature

- Wish

- Protect

- Soft-Boiled

- Mud Bomb

Last edited:
Hi, interesting team!
One thing still sticks out to me though...why the 100 SpA investment on Chansey? With its base 35 SpA, its not going to be doing much to any Pokemon.
Apart from that, I would like to suggest a couple of changes. Greninja seems like a huge threat once Slaking is gone, as it can sweep most of your team, and as Chansey has no way of wearing it down, it loses 1v1.

Firstly, you could move the 4 hp EV's on Dragonite to SpDef/Def, as it will take less damage from Stealth Rocks (because Pokemon rounds down, and when you have an odd Hp number, you take 24% rather than 25% from SR).
Secondly, I recommend changing Life Orb to Leftovers/Weakness Policy/Lum Berry. This is because Dragonite has the amazing ability Multiscale, and using a Life Orb will break that Multiscale, leaving it vulnerable.
Thirdly, I would suggest running a pure wall set on Chansey i.e. 4 HP, 252 Def, 252 SpDef. I would also suggest changing Soft-Boiled to Toxic, as this will be useful in wearing down and your opponents.

The next couple of changes are just personal preference:
  • You could change Cofagrigus to Skarmory as it is a much more effective physical wall, with the added bonus of being a good starter mon and being able to defog; although you give up will-o-wisp.

Hope this helped!

Thats funny, I tried that cofagrigus+Slaking technique a month ago, and it worked very nicely in RU. I don't know about you guys but slaking doesn't belong in OU truant or mummy, because 1) getting mummy on him is not too common, and 2) There are many pokemon out there that threaten it. I would keep cofa and slaking in UU or lower, so you can really capitalize on their advantages.
Heres a slaking set I used to some decent success.
Slaking Life Orb
Adamant Nature
Truant
4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
-Return
-Pursuit
-Earthquake
-Slack Off

This set enables slaking to hit hard with the least amount of drawbacks possible. Return is a powerful stab, pursuit gaurentees the mummy, and slack off keeps him nice and bulky. Earthquake is his best steel/rock killing move, as it is as strong as hammer arm, and it doesn't lower that reliable speed stat. If this was OU however, I have 3 steel types in mind that don't care about earthquake. While a mummy slaking was barely the star of the show, it definitely wasn't dead meat.
And lol, Earthquake/mud bomb chansey. can someone do some damage calcs vs. heatran?
EDIT: Earthquake doesn't miss too...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)