Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Either you've got low enough health that it matters or you have enough health that it doesn't. That 5 healing is gonna be a setback on turn 10 unless you're going face with it, a on turn 10 for 2? If you were going face anyway, use Flame Imp for 3. Flame Imp is def up there as far as turn 10 plays go, but I think Zombie Chow beats it.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Endgame's all about topdecking a good card. Neither of the two are particularly helpful but a 3/2 will get you more mileage than a 2/3.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
well, also considering the decks flame imp is played and having to play it on turn 10. there's some merit in using it to reduce your hp to a more appealing molten giant range, though.

So of the 3 main rogue archetypes (miracle, tempo, coldlight), which is the more effective? I've been playing a basic tempo, but once I get leeroy made I was looking to swap to miracle or coldlight; I'm more able to make coldlight since I have the oracles and just wouldn't have the ape legendary, whereas with miracle I don't have any auctioneers, azure dragon, or preparation. But if miracle is better, I'd probably save up to making it instead of coldlight.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I like Coldlight, but the only problem is that you really won't be milling them without Mukkla (I don't have him :< ) or Prep+Vanish+Leeroy (a combo I have enjoyed abusing).

What's more important than Mukkla or Auctioneers or even Preparation is Azure Drake, which I highly recommend you save up for. Azure Drake is just that good of a card that it's used in a lot of decks. The value you get out of it is just insane, and even if it dies the turn you put it down, you still draw a card. Not to mention it's great for comboing with other spells that Miracle Rogue, Mage, etc carry. If you do have spare dust, I would at least craft one preparation so that you can abuse Prep+Vanish+Leeroy (This is a turn 7 play that guarantees at least 12 damage and 2 worthless 1/1s put into their hand, 18 damage and 4 1/1s if you have Shadowstep).

But yeah, I would look at investing Dust into Azure Dragon for sure just because it's that good of a card.

Hmm, the coldlight version I was looking at (Backspace) doesn't seem to list Azure Dragon anywhere, but yeah I get it's a good card. Until I craft my legendary though, I haven't really crafted anything else and have just been hoping to fill it via pull from a pack. But yeah, I'll be crafting them once I get the legendary done.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
coldlight aka backspace rogue doesn't use azure drake, but that deck has fallen largely out of favour with the slower naxx cards (sludge belcher!) making it more difficult to run an aggro deck like that.

it is hard to comment on the strengths of the deck when hearthstone is in such time of change, but miracle is still probably the strongest (it was hurt by loatheb, but also makes great use of it). i haven't seen any backspace on ladder since last season. tempo hasn't been played in 2 or 3 seasons, but has some more potential now with anub'ar ambusher / loatheb, making a battlecry abuse deck interesting to look into.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
so i beat heroic loatheb with this on the first try because i got a ridiculously lucky opening hand (doomsayer+double molten and drew into sunfury on turn 3). did anyone else use a similar strategy? i used some decks from a website for the arachnid wing but i didn't use any for this one

and yes i know i'm way late on this, but i've been grinding all week for 700 gold :(

rank 5 atm, was playing druid but theres a shitton of handlock up here

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
You know I was a bit worried with week 1 of Naxx being soooo zoo but then Plague Quarter was all about Priest. Weird. Definitely a harder quarter in terms of heroics.

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So when hovering over the rewards in each of the wings, I'm assuming we get both feugen and stallag even though only feugen is listed?

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks a lot Military Quarter for giving Mill Druid the tools to make running Control an auto loss vs. the strategy...

fucking rivendale + swords / deathguard mills a million cards, and Poison Seeds / Naturalize is more than enough hard removal to beat control decks' traditionally limited number of winning conditions.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
So I'm seeing a lot of convoluted plans online for beating the easiest heroic boss, Baron Rivendare. So I just thought I'd post the right one.

This is a boss who;
A; Has 4 faces, 3 of which will always attack for a measly 2 damage each turn.
B; Provides most of his annoyance value through secrets, which can't be activated on his turn.

Fill a deck with taunts and you win. It couldn't be more simple. Shadow Word: Pain and Hex are fine, Faerie Dragon and Spectral Knight are nice, but taunt up first and foremost. The boss just kills himself and you need only worry about Repentance, but the boss is so slow and runs out of cards so quickly he just can't get ahead. Even when his weapon is doing 8 damage he's still just killing himself.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Doomsayer and Equality are both banned, though a number of other very good and interesting cards aren't: Hunter's Mark (the single-target Equality), Deadly Shot, Kodo, Cabal Shadow Priest.

Gothik took me way longer than it should have but eventually mill Rogue did it. Priest actually donks this Quarter pretty hard overall though. SPECTRAL GOTHIK is the best Kel'Thuzad joke thus far.

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
played arena as mage earlier today, turn 5 warrior opponent played milhouse manastorm while i had 3 fireballs, frostbolt, mirror entity and a gadgetzan in my hand. nearly jizzed.

paladin was the best vs this wing imo. even with priest vs heroics, i died too quickly. spending your entire turn 4 using mass dispel does nothing, you'll have taken far too much damage at that point.

vs heroic gothik just buff his stuff up and you win

vs the horsemen i got screwed twice because he had double shadow word death in his opening but then i got him in a normal game. just taunt up, heal, and then molten giants wreck.

this was definitely the most challenging of the wings so far but trusty paladin saves the day

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Razuvious is the worst. He has 55 hp. You have 2. He is filled with options to get rid of your taunts, and only occasionally the AI wises up and realizes he's also Loatheb on steroids. Trying to draw Massive Runeblade through priest cards is a total crapshoot.

Edit: Well I just sat on a 40 HP Understudy and never drew an Inner Fire, but I finally won.

Last edited:

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
What's with all these Shaman decks? I played a modified version of Trump FTP mage using the latest Naxx stuff, but it seems like Shaman has a lot of stuff to abuse Deathrattle.

/rant

God how I hate the mother f'ing tards who spam that shitty well played emote because the stupid squelch button doesn't work worth of shit. Apart from trying the "friend" them on bnet to cuss em out, it sucks the other best form of protest is merely leaving them game and forcing them to wait the whole minute or two until time is up. Seriously the kind of punks I'd have no problem running over irl.

Also unless you failed kindergarten math, if you can do enough damage to win, just do it, stop with the extra stupid pointless moves wasting time.

/end rant

Last edited:

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Still will never understand people who friend others to yell at them. What are you trying to prove

Still will never understand people who friend others to yell at them. What are you trying to prove
Mostly to annoy and vent/troll back in the heat of the moment. Granted I haven't done it from my main account since I rather enjoy playing WoW and D3, but I've tried it on another bnet account before, though no one has bit just yet. Still, if they'd just put in a stupid silence or no emote option, that'd make me a happier person.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Greet people when the match starts. Say well played when the match ends, win or lose. Do not use any other emote unless they use it first (example, do not Threaten unless they have previously Threatened). Do not add people to flame them. This is all basic Hearthstone etiquette.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
"Don't use the emotes programmed into the game" is sure as shit not basic etiquette. If you are gonna destroy them, tell them so. If you fuck up, push the oops button. If the opponent fucks up, say sorry (sometimes goofy shit happens). Saying well played when the game ends is nice, but you have a small time frame to do so before the victory screen pops up.

The only BM is spamming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)